Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll bet that he's died wondering how he didn't get more of a go in the last two years.

It's not that I think he has been great during that period but if we've played Green and Baguley in that time...

Merrett's performances stack up with Green's and 2/3 from Baguley.

Merrett's career is a good example of how fickle things can be for the players in the middle band.

If Hird was the coach we may be wondering how Merrett has played 100 games or 120 or he may have become something much better given the opportunities.

I'll bet that he's died wondering how he didn't get more of a go in the last two years.

It's not that I think he has been great during that period but if we've played Green and Baguley in that time...

Merrett's performances stack up with Green's and 2/3 from Baguley.

Merrett's career is a good example of how fickle things can be for the players in the middle band.

If Hird was the coach we may be wondering how Merrett has played 100 games or 120 or he may have become something much better given the opportunities.

This is an underrated point. Moreso than needing injuries to open up a spot for him I can't help but get the feeling that he just needed a show of faith and a defined role. I always felt as if he was a natural small forward but by the time we dialled that in he was on the outer to such an extent that he was never coming back from it.

So much is circumstance if you're not a name brand.

One of those curious cases of looking to have enough tools to be a good AFL player than just stagnating and looking lost.

Think the change of coach and lack of belief might have sent him in the wrong direction.

Couldn't get a game in 2017 when we played Josh Green and gave a handful of games to Brent Stanton who had slowed to a crawl by that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those curious cases of looking to have enough tools to be a good AFL player than just stagnating and looking lost.

Think the change of coach and lack of belief might have sent him in the wrong direction.

Couldn't get a game in 2017 when we played Josh Green and gave a handful of games to Brent Stanton who had slowed to a crawl by that stage.
This is a good point.

I think in hindsight though, him only playing 11 games in 2016 when we had no side was the real sign that he just wasn’t destined to make it.

This is a good point.

I think in hindsight though, him only playing 11 games in 2016 when we had no side was the real sign that he just wasn’t destined to make it.

Yep, was just looking back at his stats on that year and he averaged his best ever. I don't think Woosha had any belief he had the tools to be a serious AFL player.

All jokes aside, Jackson had a decent season and was rewarded as an emergency for the WAFL team of the year averaging 22.5 possessions and 6.5 marks per game.
No disrespect intended, but that should be the floor of what he should doing that at WAFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back