Fantasy 2009 BigFooty Mock Draft - Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Use this mock draft site for detailed picks and player bios

Due to current trades, some people ended up with only 1 pick, while others ended up with 3 or 4 picks. So for the second round I shared it around a bit so everyone at least had two picks overall.

If people are not happy with that, let me know in the Discussion thread and I can revert things back to people just picking for one team only.

ROUND ONE
Carolina - Osmodiar (not active till 2nd Round)
Dallas - JeffDunne (not active till 2nd Round)

1. Detriot (Riggy) - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
2. St. Louis (Larkis) - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
3. Kansas City (Zarko) - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
4. Seattle (GeeCats07) - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
5. Cleveland (Juddy_Like) - Brian Orakpo, DE/LB, Texas
6. Cincinnati (Mr P@h) - William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
7. Oakland (Ryder Is God) - B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville (Oscarman) - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
9. Green Bay (Fuey) - Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State
10. San Francisco (Brasher) - Everette Brown, OLB/DE, Florida State
11. Buffalo (Neddy36) - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
12. Denver (TCol) - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
13. Washington (Fuey) - William Moore, S, Missouri
14. New Orleans (JeffDunne) - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
15. Houston (TGBB) - Clay Matthews, LB, USC
16. San Diego (GG) - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
17. NY Jets (Wce_all_da_way) - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
18. Chicago (Sven) - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
19. Tampa Bay (Superfreak) - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
20. Detroit (from Dallas) (Riggy) - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
21. Philadelphia (Jem) - Larry English, DE/LB, Northern Illinois
22. Minnesota (Rhyno) - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
23. New England (Shifty) - Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
24. Atlanta (Crumpler_83) - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
25. Miami (DB10) - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
26. Baltimore (Nappies) - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
27. Indianapolis (Matt_897) - Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
28. Philadelphia (from Carolina) (Jem) - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
29. NY Giants (Zarko) - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
30. Tennessee (Ladainian) - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
31. Arizona (Wizard) - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh (Mizza) - DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt

Re: Mock Draft

ROUND TWO

33. Detroit (Riggy) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
34. New England (from Kansas City) (Shifty) - Connor Barwin, OLB/DE/TE, Cincinnati
35. St. Louis (Larkis) - Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
36. Cleveland (Juddy_Like) - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
37. Seattle (GeeCats07) - Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
38. Cincinnati (Mr P@h) - Alex Mack, C, California
39. Jacksonville (Oscarman) - Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
40. Oakland (Ryder Is God) - Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State
41. Green Bay (Fuey) - Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
42. Buffalo (Neddy36) - Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
43. San Francisco (Brasher) - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
44. Miami (from Washington) (DB10) - Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
45. NY Giants (from New Orleans) (Zarko) - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
46. Houston (TGBB) - Sean Smith, DB, Utah
47. New England (from San Diego) (GG) - Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
48. Denver (TCol) - Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
49. Chicago (Sven) - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
50. Cleveland (from Tampa Bay) (GG) - Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
51. Dallas (GG) - Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon
52. NY Jets (Wce_all_da_way) -
53. Philadelphia (Jem) -
54. Minnesota (Rhyno) -
55. Atlanta (Crumpler_83) -
56. Miami (DB10) -
57. Baltimore (Nappies) -
58. New England (Shifty) -
59. Carolina (Osmodiar) -
60. NY Giants (Zarko) -
61. Indianapolis (Matt_897) -
62. Tennessee (Ladainian) -
63. Arizona (Wizard) -
64. Pittsburgh (Mizza) -

With the #1 overall pick, the Detroit Lions select...

Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

My reasoning is that the Lions have many gaping holes all over the field. The Defense isn't terrible. But considering they are on the field so often after their shit offense screws up they look bad statistically.

So we need to improve offense. Already have Calvin (Johnson) receiving. Kevin (Smith) running. That leaves OLine, Tight End and Quarterback that needs help NOW. I can wait to Tight End on Day 2. So OL or QB. We have Dante (Culpepper) Drew (Henson) and Drew (Stanton) if need be who can fight out the starting role and be serviceable while we wait for next year's great draft for QB's.

OLine. You need to build a team on OLine to lead to a strong team. Especially with the Vikings in the division.

I really like Andre Smith but administration is worried about him and don't want him to turn into a TO or Vick. So Jason Smith is clearly the best Offensive Tackle in the draft class out of every one else available.

He will gain good experience playing against the like of Jared Allen twice a year.

I know some will criticize me for not taking Matt Stafford. But seriously. I don't want to waste money and do a JaMarcus Russell. I don't want to throw him right in there and flop like David Carr. So I'll try and grow a decent OLine and try and make the major strides next year.

other players considered for this pick: Andre Smith, Matt Stafford, BJ Raji

With the Second Overall Pick, the St Louis Rams pick...

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

My own reasoning is that I believe he can walk into the NFL and make an impact in the first season while we have seen many high-rated duds at other position (CB, LB, DB and OT). Crabtree is quite athletic and can be a #1 WR as well, something the Rams desperately need. We have enough talent in the O-Line due to our off-season and LB is not a pressing need.

With the addition of Crabtree, we can open up our running game as well and have an offense that is three dimensional.

With the 3rd overall pick, the Kansas City Chiefs pick...

Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

I sorta feel dirty for picking the most common pick for the Chiefs :p :eek: Its hard to lie, the Chiefs have a lot of holes on defence. Last year they recorded the lowest number of sacks over 16 games since... The NFL has had 16 rounds. They badly need a pass rusher. The entire Dline is young though, 2 23 year olds in Dorsey and McBride. McBride was average at DE, but I though Dorsey had quite a solid year considering the pressure on him. He attacked the pocket well, and although he didn't set the world on fire with sack no.s, his stuffing especially up the middle was phenomenal for a first year DT. Tank and Hali are both 24, Hali showed some nice promise. However the whole line is still up in the air concerning the future.

However, the LBers were worse. Pressure from the middle corp was poor. Williams is also injured and hasn't shown apporpriate development IMO. Sure you can't blame them for not creating all the pressure, it isn't their number one job. Johnson was Johnson, a solid player who occasionally makes big plays.

Curry offers a great tackler who isn't afraid to approach the runners, lays hard tackles and is great sideline to sideline. He also has the most upside from the LB corp. DE would be great, but in the LB corp, it is unlikely they will get such talent at their next pick, while the DE grabs will be deeper. It doesn't help that they traded their second round pick, but heck they got Cassel, so can't complain too much.

If Curry wasn't here nor any other highly touted LB, I would nab Brown or Orakpo, who has shown some versatility while moved around the LB corp or inside the line.

Re: BF Mock Draft: 2009

With the 4th overall pick, the Seattle Seahawks select...

Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Could have gone with Raji or even Stafford but protecting Hasselbeck and the future QB is the number one priority. With Walter Jones getting older the OLine needs to be reinforced with some young blood. Monroe seems like a can't miss with his 6'5" size and long arms. He played tackle whilst Brandon Albert, who is now at LT for the Chiefs, played guard. He will hold down the line for years to come.

With the 5th overall pick, the Cleveland Browns select

DE/LB Brian Orakpo Texas

With the equal second worst sack count last year, the Browns need massive help opposite Wimbley (one trick pony) & Jackson (tackle machine w/out getting sacks). The draft is deep in outside backs (Curry, Orakpo, Cushing & Matthews) but Orakpo is a natural DE who I see as a OLB at the next level. Did consider Everet Brown of Florida State but Orakpo's versitility got him the knod.

Quite simply, this blokes numbers are off the charts. Big, strong, fast & insintive, Orakpo is a pass-rusher who has the awards to prove it. Can play and fills a glaring hole.

Other team glaring needs are at RB, TE & Safety with WR a pressing issue. Crabtree and Edwards together would be a formidable duo, Jenkins IMO is a reach at this spot while Raji was seriously considered (even with Rogers) along with Brown.

With the 6th pick the Cincinatti Bengals select....

William Beatty OT Connecticut.

After the season they had last season it's obvious the Bengals need some impact players going into 2009, the loss of Houshmanzadeh and Stacy Andrews in FA hasn't helped either. The Bengals gave up the 3rd most sacks in '08 and had one of the worst running games in the NFL. Beatty, a senior, should be able to come straight into the NFL and plug the gap at LT with his good reach, strength and speed off the line.

With the 7th overall pick, the Oakland Raiders select...

B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College

The Raiders are in need of help all over the field but one of their major problems has been run defence. They were ranked 31st in the league against the run, giving up 160 yards per game.

Raji is an extremely athletic DT that is not just limited to being a run stopper - he can get into the back field. At 330 pounds he has supreme speed and agility with plenty strength to handle double teams.

There have been a lot of questions on whether Kirk Morrison is strong enough to be a MLB and now there's no excuses for him not to perform. Tommy Kelly should also improve with his first season since a knee reconstruction going by and with a legit NT next to him.

Other players considered for this pick: Andre Smith, Everette Brown

Pick no 8, the Jaguars select:

Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

I know we have other problems to deal with, but if the O-line of 2007 re-appears we should be OK.

David Garrard is in his 30's, so we need someone to take over in a couple of seasons.

Stafford is hopefully the man. He is #1 in quite a few mocks, so to get him at #8 is alright.

Thought about an OT, but as we have signed Tra Thomas, it isn't quite so important this early. So BAP.

With the 10th overall pick the 49ers select:

Everette Brown, OLB/DE, Florida State

With 3 OTs taken in the first 9 selections the 49ers look to fill their other biggest need, an every down OLB. A proven pass rusher he will man the outside next to uber star Patrick Willis.

In reality I think the 49ers will draft a RT here as the position has been toally ignored in FA but with 3 premier tackles already off the board and Andre Smith continuing his free fall the 49ers will look to address this need in the 2nd round.

Bonus selection...if the 49ers select Mark Sanchez I will officially start supporting the Cowboys.

With the 11th overall pick the Bills select:

Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

Would have loved for Orakpo or Brown to slide to this pick but with their talent it was a long shot. The Bills desperately need more playmakers and need to find a way of getting to the QB with regularity. Maybin's speed and athleticism should be the remedy and will hopefully free up Schobel and he can return to his Pro Bowl form. A little undersized but his collection of moves will see him in good stead.

Would have loved to have taken a playmaking TE and if Jermaine Gresham was not staying in college for another year he would have been a hot pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the 12th pick in the 2009 draft Denver selects...

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois

With both Champ Bailey and A.Goodman aged 31 by the time the season starts the broncos need to get a young corner who can start off playing nickel and then becoming a starter in a year or two.

At this point with all the players that i wanted off the board i would trade down but since i have to pick here it came down to four players. The ones who missed out were...

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. A player we need who has been raise up on a lot of draft boards, But taking him at 12 is to much of a reach and 20 reps in the bench press was not good for a guy his size.

Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State. I think wells is the best RB in the draft and is worthy of the 12th selection, But we need to much help on the defensive side.

Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern Cal. I can easily see Denver taking Rey here but with the signing of A.Davis and Boss Bailey still on the roster we can try to fill a different need.

With the 13th pick, Washington select...

William Moore, S, Missouri

The 'Skins are desperate for some playmakers on Defense. The signing of Haynesworth will help, but he will be double teamed every play, and often triple-teamed. Therefore, DE is an option, but with Tyson Jackson being the best of the remaining DEs, I say they pass on him this early.

USC LB Brian Cushing is another option, after the release of Marcus Washington. While he is a sure tackler, I think it's too high to take a risk on a player who has had so many injuries.

I think their best option is to go for ball hawking Safety, William Moore. He's an excellent hitter, and very good in coverage, can play both Safety positions so is quite versatile. Would make quite the tandem with LaRon Landry.

Probably a slight reach, but a number of sites have him going early to mid first round, so not out of the question.

With the 14th pick the New Orleans Saints pick :

Brian Cushing, OLB, USC

If Jenkins is gone then the Saints should probably focus on LB's. The secondary still needs some work but I reckon we'll use our 1st on a LB if Jenkins is gone and quite possibly trade down to get one.

Hmmm, well the Texans biggest needs are definitely on the D side. I'd say in order OLB, DT, S.

But Chris Wells would be very very tempting if he was still on the board. A Slaton / Wells duo would be seriously dangerous.

I actually think the Texans may trade down from 15th pick for more picks possibly even trade this pick out of the 1st round.

But for the purpose of this draft.....pass rush was crap last season. It will help having a more attacking DC next season so I think we'll go for a OLB.
Diles and Adibi are young, injury prone and still unproven. with Greenwood gone position is definitely high priority.

Would have been between USC mates Cushing and Clay Matthews. JD has taken Cushing but I think I would have taken Matthews anyway, even just for the genes!! Grandfather, father and uncle all played NFL!! Now that's pedigree.

So with the 15th pick the Houston Texans pick :

Clay Matthews, OLB, USC

More than happy though if we trade down.

With the 16th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Chargers select:

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

He give's us the inside presence and ability, that we haven't had since the Junior Seau day's. The signing of Burnett makes the choice questionable but i think he is too good of a talent to pass up, plus he's a SoCal kid.

Andre Smith and Michael Oher were both candidate's, due to the problems at RT, but Smith's attitude, weight and poor pro day push him down the order. Oher has durability and consistancy problems. The Chargers have been dogged by injuries to the OL, so drafting another one who has concerns, wouldn't be a smart idea.

Tyson Jackson was born to play as a 3-4 DE and with the huge hole we have their due to Igor's department to Dallas, he would have been a good pick. However in the 3-4 , DE's are not the stars and i believe that they can be replaced fairley easily.

I don't rate any RB's high enough to draft them here. Plus i believe Lt's 'downfall' was over-hyped and Sproles/LT is a great combo.

Right, who to take? I've been weighing it up and it's come down to 4 players. Three of them are WRs and one the QB Sanchez.

Firstly, Sanchez. Could be the franchise QB the Jets have been looking for since Joe Willie. Could be a total bust. Not sold on him at all from what I've seen and I just can't see us taking a QB round 1, even if our stocks do look thin. I think we trust Ratty/Clemens for a season and see where it gets us this year. Rex is looking for a game manager so he can pound the ball in and smash teams with his D. Having said that, WR is still a need so the three options were:

Harvin: Small, fast, dynamic. Can make things happen on the field and if he is healthy is someone everyone would love to have on their team. However he's not the strongest route runner and we do already have Leon Washington who is a similar style of player. Too risky, so pass.

Maclin: Maybe not the most solid of route runners and didn't have oustanding timed speed, this guy can really burn people on the field. He might take a few years to develop but will shape as likely to become a very dynamic player.

Nicks: Not as fast, but a great catcher and can run routes better than the other two. Cocky mother****er as well.

In the end, who do I take? Well as much as I like Nicks as a prospect and think he'll be very similar to Boldin, I take Maclin as I believe he's the BPA.

New York Jets select Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

Bears select....

Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

The Bears would be in heaven if the draft actually fell the way it has gone here. To have only three OTs off the board after losing John St Clair to the Browns and John Tait to retirement would be manna from heaven. Michael Oher and Andre Smith have both tumbled as a result of the Combine but scouts don't just look at Combine results on their own. There is their collegiate body of work and interview outcomes to take into account as well. The Michael Oher story has been well documented and the Bears will snap him up if he's actually available at pick 18 in the NFL draft.

The Bears are also on the lookout for a #1 WR, but with the draft being so deep in receivers this year (a bit like the RB situation last year), they'll look at what's available in the second round.

First off some analysis…..

We have four specific needs. QB, DT, WR and LB.

I will address QB first. I have a huge feeling that we will make a serious run at Cutler and at the moment I am comfortable (only just though) with McCown at QB if that doesn’t pan out. Both Freeman and Sanchez have the chance to be great but it’s too much of a risk to take them here. Both are juniors and they don’t have a great record of late when it translates to NFL output. FWIW, if we don’t get Cutler, I think we have our franchise QB already on the roster in Josh Johnson….keep an eye on him.

If there was one area that seriously failed us last year it was our interior D-Line. We couldn’t stop the run late in the year and failed to get any pressure on the QB. Peria Jerry looms as a great pick for our system and what we need. He is athletic, has a quick move is strong and a can go all day.

The addition of Winslow at TE and the re-signing of Clayton somewhat diminishes our need for another WR but with Dexter Jackson an unmitigated failure last year it is an area that we could address, especially with Percy Harvin and Darrius Heywood-Bey still on the board. Both players would add a real x-factor to our offense not to mention, in Harvin’s case the return game, but our KR/PR went to the PB last year so it doesn’t give us a major upgrade. Its a luxury we can't afford right now.

Finally, with all the top rated LB’s off the board, and the addition of Angelo Crowell last week in FA, we are better suited to addressing this need later in the draft. Cushing would have been the ideal pick but at pick 19 and at the stage we are at with our roster we can’t afford to reach for a prospect.

With the way the draft has gone thus far if I was TB I would be fielding all offers to trade down. There is no doubt that DET will take Sanchez with the next pick so if there are any teams (maybe MIN) that want to jump up and grab him before the Lions do, I would seriously entertain what they have to give up. After all we traded away our 2nd round pick to CLE for Winslow so if we can add a few more picks via a trade, whilst still landing the player that we covet in round 1, that would be ideal.

But there are no trades on BF so having said all that its time for my pick.

With the 19th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select…..

Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss

OK.

With pick 20 of the draft The Detroit Lions take

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

Just to tempting. Let him fight out with Jason Smith for LT. Loser to RT.

and front office cant win them all. I wanted him pick 1 but his attitude forced him down to here.

Great steal.

Most people know that Andy Reid usually does one of two things with his 1st rounders: Trade them or draft some sort of lineman. The last time the Eagles didn't draft a lineman with a 1st rounder was Lito Sheppard in 2003.
However, despite losing Tra Thomas to free agency this year, the Eagles are pretty solid on both lines. The emergence of Max Jean-Giles at Guard last year before he broke his leg means that Todd Herreman can move back to his natural LT spot to replace Thomas. On the D-Line side Cole at RE, Parker and Abiamiri (sp?) at LE and Patterson, Bunkley and Laws at DT make up a line that does not warrant a 1st round upgrade.
Despite this, if Oher is still on the board it wouldn't surprise me if Philly took him.
If the draft pans out this way, the Eagles could consider trading this pick to a team wanting to jump the Vikings to get Sanchez, they did the same thing in 2007 with Quinn.
I'm sure Donovan would love some more help in the form of another RB or receiver, but for how many years have we been saying that? However, Westbrook isn't getting any younger and having another back to split carries with wouldn't be a bad idea.
Philly could also use a Safety to replace Dawkins unless they think Demps is the man to replace him, but there isn't really anyone on the board to warrant selection here.

Moreno is the sexy pick here but I just don't see it, and even if the Eagles like him they'll probably think at least one of Moreno or Wells will still be on the board fof their next pick at this point.

So, I'm going to go for another classic Andy Reid pick:

Larry English DE Northern Illinois

Not who I would pick if I were running the show and one that could leave many shaking their heads, but a pretty logical pick if you look at Reid's draft history.

With Pick #22 the Minnesota Vikings take:

Mark Sanchez QB USC

Simply put, Mark Sanchez is a significant upgrade over Tavaris Jackson. The Vikings clearly have other needs at this point, and I recognize that aspect. However, the Vikings cannot pass up the opportunity of drafting a franchise quarterback like Sanchez. When put in a situation like Minnesota's, already with Adrian Peterson and Bernard Berrian as playmakers, I feel Sanchez could find success on the next level. Dissapointed that Oher didn't drop a little further, Eben Britton and Percy Harvin are also in the mix for this spot. i also acknowledge that we traded for Sage but i feel we could find better than the Human turnover or the Rosen-copter.

i'm going to follow in the footsteps of Crumpler83 and use the scout.com take on him:
Sanchez is an intelligent, physically gifted signal caller who dissects a defense with his awareness. He gets good depth on his drops, sets up quickly in the pocket and has a smooth delivery in which he releases a soft, catchable ball. He completes intermediate routes with precision and displays great touch on vertical throws. He plays with a swagger and possesses the “it” factor it takes to succeed. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

With pick 23 i'll take Loius Delmas, S, Western Michigan.
A great safety who can play either free or strong just like Meriweather. Solid in coverage with some decent speed and a beast against the run. An aggressive player, who knows what he's doing as it a great leader. A secondary of Bodden, Hobbs, Meriweather and Delmas should be a great unit for years to come

I really struggled not to Alphonso Smith here, but with Bodden coming in, him and Hobbs should be a nice combo for the next few years.
Bit of a reach but he wouldn't make it to pick 58 and i have 34 already reserved for my #1 player who should hopefully make it there

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantasy 2009 BigFooty Mock Draft - Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back