Preview 2012 - What we need to give the flag a shake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get some miles into Darlings legs. Hes the answer for those seeing another A grade midfielder. He has the height, speed, aggression, and overall ball sense to be the next Adam Goodes. Will open up a spot fwd for Weedon or Brown.

Have a feeling Darling could win a Brownlow if he gets the opportunity to play midfield.

Shocking lateral movement and fused hips. Hasn't shown any trace or elite disposal by hand. JoJo's closer to getting a game in our midfield than Darling and he's not even in the top 25 players.

If it happens it won't happen for some time.

Glass is almost retired.
We have Mckenzie who's looking solid
Schofield is not a KPD and best suited to third tall
Brown atm is looking very injury prone and its questionable whether he will make it.
We have no KPD depth after glass is gone whatsoever.

Glass is in career best form and moving like a spring chicken.
McKenzie spanked Cloke.
Browns unproven an hasn't be consistently tested.
Schofield at twenty two years if age is no lock for a third tall. Will be capable of taking second string KPF's in time.

Our KPF spots consist of Josh Kennedy, Lynch and Wilson.

There are no substitutes for gut runners who will stand up and run us to a scoring opportunity when we continually bomb forward in hope and the ball is repelled back just as fast. Against the best of the best ur midfield has not stepped up to near enough as good as what is needed. We were the 3rd team standing but boy is there a gulf between us and Pies and Cats.

Glass is in career best form and moving like a spring chicken.
McKenzie spanked Cloke.
Browns unproven an hasn't be consistently tested.
Schofield at twenty two years if age is no lock for a third tall. Will be capable of taking second string KPF's in time.

Our KPF spots consist of Josh Kennedy, Lynch and Wilson.

Spring chicken made me laugh. I wish i believed that.

Mckenzie does have one spot filled.

Brown since injuries has been quite patchy but is decent and i rate him as a player.

Schofield could probably KPD but i really wouldn't like him on power forwards and his best possie is third tall.
Still only leaves 3 players.

As for KPF
We have Kennedy
Lynch Has more years than Glass thats for sure
Darling has shown that he could play KPF but may be best suited to third tall. Could play KPD if required.
Lycett has shown serious potential as a KPF and we are likely to have One of either NN or him playing forward after cox retires with the other in the ruck.
Wilson is depth.

I think we need a strong quality midfielder to help Kerr, Shuey.
Rich would of been perfect

We need pace in our forward line, a quick crumbing player.

Not sure if we should, but Andrew Lovett, would he be worth a punt.
has pace and was pretty good with Essendon, but is known for trouble so not sure and is he still interested.

I think we need a strong quality midfielder to help Kerr, Shuey.
Rich would of been perfect

We need pace in our forward line, a quick crumbing player.

Not sure if we should, but Andrew Lovett, would he be worth a punt.
has pace and was pretty good with Essendon, but is known for trouble so not sure and is he still interested.

I agree that Rich would've been a perfect fit at WC. Has a big body for the tough inside grunt work, and has a Hurn-esque kick. His toughness and quality make him someone you want on your team in a final.

When a finals game gets into 1 on 1 duals and contested possessions, it'd be great to have Rich there for that.
If long kicking is the order of the day, as it is in many a final, Rich is the man for this, too.

WC shouldn't give up pursuing Rich, whether he be contracted or not.

Definitely do not want Andrew Lovett.

Wouldn't mind WC pursuing Kane Lucas, and have him develop behind Rosa and Gaff. Would provide ready-made depth to WC's OM stocks, with Embley likely in his last year in 2012.
Just as it took Rosa 4-5 years to come good, Lucas being depth would allow him to develop at his own pace rather than being prematurely thrust into the AFL before he's ready.
Lucas' 2 years in the system is very handy, too.
I reckon Lucas will be a good, solid player like Rosa, but not a star. WC will ingrain some toughness and contested ball winning skills in him, just like Rosa.

Better to trade for him, or others, this year, in a weak draft, than having to give up picks in next year's super draft.

Better to trade for him, or others, this year, in a weak draft, than having to give up picks in next year's super draft.

True. Although since everyone knows this it is factored into the market/pricing and in theory this year is no better a year to trade for players than any other.

Are there any young west australians out of contract? Would be good to have a list. I don't think we'll be too active, but you never know, we could end up getting one player.

I agree that Rich would've been a perfect fit at WC. Has a big body for the tough inside grunt work, and has a Hurn-esque kick. His toughness and quality make him someone you want on your team in a final.

When a finals game gets into 1 on 1 duals and contested possessions, it'd be great to have Rich there for that.
If long kicking is the order of the day, as it is in many a final, Rich is the man for this, too.

WC shouldn't give up pursuing Rich, whether he be contracted or not.

Definitely do not want Andrew Lovett.

Wouldn't mind WC pursuing Kane Lucas, and have him develop behind Rosa and Gaff. Would provide ready-made depth to WC's OM stocks, with Embley likely in his last year in 2012.
Just as it took Rosa 4-5 years to come good, Lucas being depth would allow him to develop at his own pace rather than being prematurely thrust into the AFL before he's ready.
Lucas' 2 years in the system is very handy, too.
I reckon Lucas will be a good, solid player like Rosa, but not a star. WC will ingrain some toughness and contested ball winning skills in him, just like Rosa.

Mitch Brown would get most clubs interest because he is good but suffered a bad run of injuries & McKenzie & Schofield are preferred. Very tradeable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of harsh reviews here based on one bad game.

Where does Lynch sit. Out of contract I think.

Masten and Ebert need to be at least put up for trade. Masten to get O'Meara.

Will be a interesting trade period I think for us.

A lot of harsh reviews here based on one bad game.

Where does Lynch sit. Out of contract I think.

Masten and Ebert need to be at least put up for trade. Masten to get O'Meara.

Will be a interesting trade period I think for us.

trading masten will not get us o'meara. or ebert for that matter. both are entering their prime and it would be ludicrous to trade them now (unless one or both them wants out, then its a different story).

in reality, any trades we make will be minor. we wont land a big fish through trading, nor should we try to.

a 5% to 10% improvement next season from our 18-25yo players is what we need to bank on.

Shocking lateral movement and fused hips. Hasn't shown any trace or elite disposal by hand. JoJo's closer to getting a game in our midfield than Darling and he's not even in the top 25 players.

If it happens it won't happen for some time.

This post is almost completely wrong. His lateral movement is very good and will improve, and his hands are fantastic. He also has an intangible - he sees a play a split second before others.

The only thing you have said that is correct is that it wont happen for some time

True. Although since everyone knows this it is factored into the market/pricing and in theory this year is no better a year to trade for players than any other.

Are there any young west australians out of contract? Would be good to have a list. I don't think we'll be too active, but you never know, we could end up getting one player.

I've thought similarly to your view regarding value. Due to the weak draft decreasing value, it very well may not be a good time to trade, but if WC opt to top up for a tilt at a flag, it has to be now.

Travis Colyer is out of contract. If WC want someone nippy that they could perhaps mould into a FP, now is the time to make a play for him.

If he were to be used for any other role, I don't know if I'd really want him.

Kyle Hardingham is out of contract, but WC don't need his type.

Mitch Brown would get most clubs interest because he is good but suffered a bad run of injuries & McKenzie & Schofield are preferred. Very tradeable.

I have a feeling that Darren Glass' end is going to come along quickly from this point. Mitch Brown is very much a required player, who will step into the CHB role while MacKenzie slots into Glass' role. (Though, MacKenzie is already taking the main forward nowadays.) Schofield is only a stop-gap measure as a KPB, and should only be used in that role when injury dictates.

Brown is not untradeable, but given WC's need of him, due to Glass being on the verge of retirement, it'd have to be an amazing proposal for WC to put him up as trade bait.
Brown has a girlfriend here and is settled and happy. I don't see WC acting against his wishes and forcing the issue of a trade, especially after he's just re-signed.

There are no substitutes for gut runners who will stand up and run us to a scoring opportunity when we continually bomb forward in hope and the ball is repelled back just as fast. Against the best of the best ur midfield has not stepped up to near enough as good as what is needed. We were the 3rd team standing but boy is there a gulf between us and Pies and Cats.

no there is not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was the travel playing 2 finals and umpires that made the gulf look bigger.

our best team fully fit can beat geelong.

We need Chris Yarran. Throw the kitchen sink to get him. Oozes pace, run & carry and silk by foot. And he's great mates with NicNat. Make it happen!

Chris Yarran is exactly the sort of player we need, but we won't ever get him. He is absolutely crucial to Carlton.

Anyway, we already have Chris Yarran types on our list. Ash Smith is probably a better defender, although he doesn't have the same poise in traffic. If he keeps improving he could end up playing a similar game to Heath Shaw.

I haven't seen much of Lewis Stevenson in the WAFL, but he showed a great deal of poise in the couple of AFL games he played. If the coaches can toughen him up he'd be an absolutely ideal option. Big if, I know. Brad Sheppard is another who can play that role.

I hope Woosha backs Ash Smith to play 22 (or more) games next year. Take a mid or a KPD with the first pick. Or draft some young kid who plays HFF and turn him into a mid.

trading masten will not get us o'meara. or ebert for that matter. both are entering their prime and it would be ludicrous to trade them now (unless one or both them wants out, then its a different story).

in reality, any trades we make will be minor. we wont land a big fish through trading, nor should we try to.

a 5% to 10% improvement next season from our 18-25yo players is what we need to bank on.[/quote]

agree on the improvement and getting finals experience into our young group of players that have taken on the powerhouses of afl Geelong and Collingwood at the MCG and beaten Carlton in a competitive final shows that wce are building a good team that at times this year have been really dominant .

Regarding the OP question. What do we need to give the 2012 flag a shake?

It depends on what we can get, who is available.

In finals its man-on-man style footy. I can see growth in our mids and NN... goes without saying. Backline is solid and has pressure for spots with Smith, Brown and other mentioned in this thread pushing.

For all our tall timber in the fwd line our contested marking is poor. Super poor. 8th I think in the league, might not be spot on there though. We have two options. Crumbers or better contested markers.

Love for us to go after Mitch Clark. Play him out of the square. JK out to CHF.

a 5% to 10% improvement next season from our 18-25yo players is what we need to bank on.

agree with this. can't imagine any big trades happening but we should be banking on some improvement from within the team.

that and keeping our most important senior blokes healthy (in reality i mean cox, kerr and glass) will put us in a position to compete with the big boys.

yesterday we were embarrassed but it's worth remembering that two weeks ago we really took it to the pies. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2012 - What we need to give the flag a shake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back