List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour on the Dogs board is they are willing to give their first rounder this year for Sam Reid of the Swans.

Was considered on of the young KP 'to watch' but had a quiet 2013 due to injury after 31 goals in the 2012 premiership year, in just his 3rd year on an AFL list.

Hard to say if he has more upside as someone in the 6~10 ish range, but would be more of a sure thing due to having proved himself at the highest level.

Thoughts?
Sydney would take it and run I would have thought.

Good player, but worth that much only because the Dogs have no decent tall forwards (I don't rate Crameri as 'tall', or Grant or Jones at all), I'd have him at the Saints, sure, but not at that price.

Rumour on the Dogs board is they are willing to give their first rounder this year for Sam Reid of the Swans.

Was considered on of the young KP 'to watch' but had a quiet 2013 due to injury after 31 goals in the 2012 premiership year, in just his 3rd year on an AFL list.

Hard to say if he has more upside as someone in the 6~10 ish range, but would be more of a sure thing due to having proved himself at the highest level.

Thoughts?

Its a smart trade IMO. Something Hawthorn would do - pay overs but get their man. I wouldn't want StK to trade a pick in that range for Reid but our list is very different to the Dogs.

I really hope we can avoid a Dogs-like situation during our rebuild. If we're on the way up it would be nice if we didn't have massive holes that needed to be filled. They've done a lot right but their forwards apart from Crameri are rubbish.

Rahul how does Brayshaw stack up compared to other top mids taken in the last few drafts? I'm starting to think we need to stack the midfield and worry about talls via trades and FA when the time is right. Its a real concern our lack of mid depth and the fact Lenny is still our #1 performing midfielder at 24!
How he stacks up, it's hard to say, no one like him last year (except maybe Dunstan), and too many compromised drafts before that.
Interesting quote on big Paddy McCartin from yesterday's Metro/Country game;

Helloooooo nurse!

:D

*and he's not even 195cm+ :eek:
Brett Anderson nominated McCartin as the likely current #1 pick on SEN yesterday. Apparently Paddy skittled a few Vic Metro kids & slotted 3 goals in a Jonno Brown like performance.

A mate (hello LP) who has a close friend in recruiting at one of the Vic power clubs, says his mate reckons Wright is still clearly #1.

At this stage I think McCartin probably suits our forward structure better (especially if Rhys Stanley is to be in red white & black in the long term). I love what McCartin potentially brings to the table but am very nervous about his reported kicking yips. Are they as bad as reported Rahul ?

If we do get the opportunity to draft Wright then you'd assume that Rhys will be moved on. I can't see how we could have 4 200cm+ blokes in the same side whereas having Hickey & Longer rucking & drifting forward, with McCartin playing the Jack Darling deep forward role & hopefully Spencer roaming everywhere is pretty enticing.
Put in my match report on Paddy below. He didn't have the space (no forward did) to lead strongly, but he did his best and kept his defender on full alert. Sean McLaren, who I rate as Metros best defender, went to Hughy Goddard, but that probably has more to do with Goddard playing in the ruck this year. Paddy completely lacks confidence in his routine, he is constantly looking around to pass the ball off or play on, and that's concerning. Peter Wright probably has a better ball drop and kicks it sweetly, but he doesn't convert very well.

Thoughts?

Sydney would take it and run I would have thought.

Good player, but worth that much only because the Dogs have no decent tall forwards (I don't rate Crameri as 'tall', or Grant or Jones at all), I'd have him at the Saints, sure, but not at that price.

i'm not convinced the swans will part with him so easily. theres whispers goodes will give it away at the end of the year. this opens a spot for the third tall to go with buddy and tippett. you'd think this would be reids spot, given how much time theyve put into him. i cant see them going back to the drawing board or going with a raw membrey, when theyre challenging for a flag.

How he stacks up, it's hard to say, no one like him last year (except maybe Dunstan), and too many compromised drafts before that.

Put in my match report on Paddy below. He didn't have the space (no forward did) to lead strongly, but he did his best and kept his defender on full alert. Sean McLaren, who I rate as Metros best defender, went to Hughy Goddard, but that probably has more to do with Goddard playing in the ruck this year. Paddy completely lacks confidence in his routine, he is constantly looking around to pass the ball off or play on, and that's concerning. Peter Wright probably has a better ball drop and kicks it sweetly, but he doesn't convert very well.
Rahul - Patty or Wright?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although my name is not Rahul, IMHO Wright is the best player in the draft this year by quite a margin. If we were using rankings he would be a 5 star recruit with the next in line 4 stars.
Brissy would love to have him put the number 16 on for the next dozen years. Having said that, I really like what McCartin brings but is he a one trick pony? Is H Goddard a better pick as he is versatile and can play both ends? Then there is Tom Lamb, the kid could be anything, and this is us being Victorian centric, there are bound to be 3 or 4 other inters tae talls who put their hand up.
Would also like to remind you of Jake Lever, a champion player missing this year because of a knee. Exciting times to be shit!!!

(always value your opinion)

wish we had currency to get a pick 5-10 :(

We have 2 players on the whole list who would get that pick, Steven and Billings. its not a lot is it. And neither of those 2 would be traded. We may have the least players of any team capable of getting a top 10 pick.

Last edited:
I might just be paranoid but 203cm at such a young age with prior back problems really worries me. Of course on of the other options is a diabtic that has kicking issues so who knows which option is better.

I highly doubt we will have pick 1 this year anyway so Wright might not even be something we will have a chance to consider.

I still think that we could get a pick in the 8-15 range with Armo and a pick or something, but I'm not sure that the club will do it. As a bonus to losing Armo, our chances of getting pick 1 next year go up if Lenny retires as well. Short term pain for long term gain?

Rahul (or anyone else): If we somehow managed to get a pick in the 8-15 range this year would Lamb or another suitable forward still be around then? Would we want to get a second forward to go with McCartin/Durdin/whoever and then not have to worry about our forward line any more, or would a mid be a better choice? Both of them would get a year under Roo as well.

IMO, i reckon we stock up on talls this year, unless theres an obvious best available mid who has slid down the draft order. My rationale is as follows:

1) Bigs take at least an extra year or two to develop. Look at Sam Day vs Harley Bennell.

2) High quality mids are plentiful, and from memory, the 2015 draft is full of mids, whereas this one is pointedly KPP dominant.

From a time frame point of view, it would be more efficient to try and get as many best available KPPs as possible, but obviously I hope we do not reach, by taking a KPP for the sake of it, rather than purely based on merit. And the point that the potential KPFs will have at least a year or two to learn from Roo, which will be invaluable going forward.

Similarly, if we get a solid swingman ala Durdin, let him work with Dempster, Delaney on 1v1 and 3rd man positioning, while having Roo teach him the ropes regarding preparation, gut running so on.

Also for others who know more about the draft process, do they consider VO2 max oxygen uptakes? In other words, it provides an indication of essentially your maximum 'tank'. Pavlich is one who has an extremely high score, which meant he had the capacity to play in the midfield. Cadel Evans is well known to have the highest ever recorded level at the AIS (hence why he's such a fantastic rider).

Best available. We need plenty of everything, but most importantly quality. GWS and Gold Coast in particular will just have quality everywhere. We are starting from a very long way back.

Major priorities though are the key forward posts and speed and skill. We just don't have enough precise kicking in our team and more speed would be very useful. Unfortunately, two of our very quickest don't have the best footskills, Wright and Saunders.

Last edited:
I might just be paranoid but 203cm at such a young age with prior back problems really worries me. Of course on of the other options is a diabtic that has kicking issues so who knows which option is better.

I highly doubt we will have pick 1 this year anyway so Wright might not even be something we will have a chance to consider.

I still think that we could get a pick in the 8-15 range with Armo and a pick or something, but I'm not sure that the club will do it. As a bonus to losing Armo, our chances of getting pick 1 next year go up if Lenny retires as well. Short term pain for long term gain?

Rahul (or anyone else): If we somehow managed to get a pick in the 8-15 range this year would Lamb or another suitable forward still be around then? Would we want to get a second forward to go with McCartin/Durdin/whoever and then not have to worry about our forward line any more, or would a mid be a better choice? Both of them would get a year under Roo as well.
Durdin, Goddard, Wright and Mccartin probably all gone. Lamb could be around, but I'm not sold on him as a forward, he isn't strong enough. Moore will go to the Pies around that mark.

If the ladder stayed as is I would think it'll go -

Bris - Wright
GWS - Brayshaw
Richmond - Goddard
St Kilda - McCartin/Durdin.

Where things get interesting is Melbourne at pick 5. Even more so if Frawley leaves and they have 5+6 (first round), 5+10 (mid first round) or 5+19 (end of first round) with compo.

I wonder if Roos would look to deal the pick in exchange for more experience?

Pick 4 + 2nd rounder (mid 20's) + Gwilt
for
Pick 5 + 10

Would still get us one of McCartin or Durdin with and extra pick to grab Tom Lamb.

If Bernie Vince is worth pick 23 I rekon that's a decent deal. Especially if Frawley walks and leaves their backline under-manned and lacking experience.

If the ladder stayed as is I would think it'll go -

Bris - Wright
GWS - Brayshaw
Richmond - Goddard
St Kilda - McCartin/Durdin.

Where things get interesting is Melbourne at pick 5. Even more so if Frawley leaves and they have 5+6 (first round), 5+10 (mid first round) or 5+19 (end of first round) with compo.

I wonder if Roos would look to deal the pick in exchange for more experience?

Pick 4 + 2nd rounder (mid 20's) + Gwilt
for
Pick 5 + 10

Would still get us one of McCartin or Durdin with and extra pick to grab Tom Lamb.

If Bernie Vince is worth pick 23 I rekon that's a decent deal. Especially if Frawley walks and leaves their backline under-manned and lacking experience.

If Richmond get a pick ahead of us I will spew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back