Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ladder stayed as is I would think it'll go -

Bris - Wright
GWS - Brayshaw
Richmond - Goddard
St Kilda - McCartin/Durdin.

Where things get interesting is Melbourne at pick 5. Even more so if Frawley leaves and they have 5+6 (first round), 5+10 (mid first round) or 5+19 (end of first round) with compo.

I wonder if Roos would look to deal the pick in exchange for more experience?

Pick 4 + 2nd rounder (mid 20's) + Gwilt
for
Pick 5 + 10

Would still get us one of McCartin or Durdin with and extra pick to grab Tom Lamb.

If Bernie Vince is worth pick 23 I rekon that's a decent deal. Especially if Frawley walks and leaves their backline under-manned and lacking experience.
Don't mean to be disrespectful towards Gwilt but not in a million years would Melbourne look at that. Gwilt has been a GOP for years but he is almost done, be lucky if we got 3rd or 4th round pick for him. If you were Melbourne would you take that ?

Don't mean to be disrespectful towards Gwilt but not in a million years would Melbourne look at that. Gwilt has been a GOP for years but he is almost done, be lucky if we got 3rd or 4th round pick for him. If you were Melbourne would you take that ?

A 13-15 spot drop for a (then) 28 year old 3rd tall, with finals experience and a booming left foot... If i'm the same guy that gave up pick 23 for Bernie Vince then, yeah I would.

Vince is going at 23 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles a game. Has kicked 3 goals and given away 7 frees playing as their 3rd best midfielder behind Jones and Tyson.

Gwilt is going at 17 touches, 6.5 marks, 2 tackles a game. He has kicked 2 goals and given away 5 frees (4 in a single game) playing on the oppositions 3rd tall forward/resting ruckman.

Gwilt may have looked poor against the Hawks (everyone did) and Carlton (turns out he was injured!) but he has been very, very good in the other games. Why trade him then? Well Shenton is showing us a fair bit and we have Gilbert and Geary to come back so we are set for backline depth. IF Frawley walks and they get compo then it makes sense to look for some experience - A pick swap plus Gwilt would be win-win as we get another top pick and they still get another very good young player to go with the senior player they bring in.

If Frawley goes what does their backline look like?

Pederson has shown he isn't any good back there but maybe they force him into that hole with Hogan coming in to cover up forward. But even then they would have McDonald and Garland as the key posts with Pederson taking the resting ruck, something he's shown he isn't capable of doing well. He also wouldn't provide the same drive that Gwilt can. Much better suited leading at the ball and providing a contest is Cam.

I expect plenty of 'itll never happen' responses, and I'll admit I don't expect it to, but it's the sort of deal we could look at doing for sure. Not too many teams are going to have 2 top end picks and I doubt GC and GWS will be interest in trading a top 20 pick for any of our senior half back flankers so we need to look a little left field here.

Otherwise we hope the Crows are shite next year, Dangerfield walks and they have 2 top 10 picks to shop with...

Let's go Giants! Think both will end up finishing above us and we'll have pick 2. Ideally we finish 16th above Essendon and Brisbane.

Which still gives us pick 2 because the Bombers first pick is shunted to the end of the first round and cannot be used for Father/Son bidding!!

JAMES GWILT IS A FREE AGENT, SO IF A CLUB WANTS HIM THEY GET HIM FOR FREE..

Not sure how many times that needs to be said.

Well... ****

'Sign and Trade' NBA style?

:p

i think were seeing growth from the likes of mav, ross and dunstan that means we can cover him. i'm also not convinced this should be lennys last year

maybe rookie cockie

What have you seen from Ross that suggests he can replace Armitage?

From what I can see, despite a surprise performance early in the season and some sustained effort, Jones is now expendable as Curren and Weller can do his primary role (tagging) better than he can. His forward pressure has been excellent, but that's something based on tank and mentality; both of which a player with better skills and faster wheels can provide. Curren tags better and Josh Saunders or Eli Templeton for example can do the forward work whilst providing more spark.

Armitage on the other hand is the solid-body crasher. There isn't someone like that in our team right now; Lenny does the clearance work and Dunstan is doing well, but we can't have it all fall on him next year in the hard middle work.

Lenny Hayes is my favourite player, perhaps always will be. He gives us loads at the stoppages. But he has become a liability at times around the park, as he just cannot run with his man and can't give decent pressure when playing forward. If we were better as a team then maybe he'd be able to squeeze another year whilst playing in a forward pocket, but he's always been the high-intensity find-space-where-there-isn't-any sort, not the flash sprint into space sort.

I had hoped this year Jarryn Geary would cement a place in the midfield, Ray would play well there and Newnes take the next step.
Geary played mostly down back. Ray has predominantly played as a loose man at the back, rotating with Dempster. Newnes has played well off half-back but not done so well playing midfield.
These are still useful players to the club of course, but their experiences this season don't help the midfield depth problem at all. In preseason many posters were commenting that our wealth of depth made it difficult to list everyone. In reality we're maybe only one more injury away from having to play someone in the position through necessity rather than choice.

We can't therefore let Armo, Ray or Geary go, until a replacement is ready. So far I think only Jones is covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting quote on big Paddy McCartin from yesterday's Metro/Country game;

“It’s like tenpin bowling when he crashes packs,”
Helloooooo nurse!

Concerns me a little that could be just an early developer who is playing as a man against boys. Does the rest of his game hold up well enough that when he plays against men and can't skittle people out of the way, he still contributes?

Does at least suggest aggression. Maybe I'm being a little harsh but Billy Longer seems to lack aggression; he's getting bullied in the bounces so far.

Dubbed the man most likely to be the AFL’s best midfielder of the next decade, Fremantle star Nat Fyfe is enjoying playing ‘‘under the pump’’ this season as he pursues a lucrative new contract and is open to shifting to a Victorian club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-open-to-leaving-dockers-20140519-zrhja.html

I'd chuck a bag of cash at him and take him in the PSD. :D

Our Midfield: Fyfe, Steven, Dunstan, Acres, Billings, Curren, Ross

945478_10151773754162338_1026065091_n.jpg

apparently according to the freo board sand,pav have both resigned for well over 500k along with ballentine and ibbositon already signing.

mundy and fyfe still are out thier atm

Dubbed the man most likely to be the AFL’s best midfielder of the next decade, Fremantle star Nat Fyfe is enjoying playing ‘‘under the pump’’ this season as he pursues a lucrative new contract and is open to shifting to a Victorian club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-open-to-leaving-dockers-20140519-zrhja.html

I'd chuck a bag of cash at him and take him in the PSD. :D

This is the kind of move that could revitalise a club.

With 4-5 more youngsters on board this year...and the same next year, things may start to turn around a little quicker than everyone expects. It's the one thing the Dogs don't have to propel them forward atm...pure star quality.

calm down guys. fyfe wont be leaving the dockers. he's a WA boy and seems to enjoy country life. when he's not playing AFL he works on a farm

i think this is just a case of his management group trying to get the best contract for their best client. freo will just have to increase their offer, thats all. they'll back end it worst case, when more cap room is free'd up by the likes of sandi, mcpharlin, pav moving on and younger players like hill who were on very good coin ending up their existing contracts and moving onto new ones. fyfe is freos nic nat, they'll pay overs to keep him. jason dovers knows this better than anyone, has a long history in WA football including time at the dockers.

mundi is another story. if you're talking about a dockers senior player leaving, he'd be the one

calm down guys. fyfe wont be leaving the dockers. he's a WA boy and seems to enjoy country life. when he's not playing AFL he works on a farm

i think this is just a case of his management group trying to get the best contract for their best client. freo will just have to increase their offer, thats all. they'll back end it worst case, when more cap room is free'd up by the likes of sandi, mcpharlin, pav moving on and younger players like hill who were on very good coin ending up their existing contracts and moving onto new ones. fyfe is freos nic nat, they'll pay overs to keep him. jason dovers knows this better than anyone, has a long history in WA football including time at the dockers.

mundi is another story. if you're talking about a dockers senior player leaving, he'd be the one
Nothing wrong with chatting about an article written and having a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back