List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half a team is what I said, not half a list. A team is 22 and we have 10 at present, which is close enough to half a team. Savage having played in one GF takes those who have played at least one GF to 11, which is exactly half a team.

I'm not suggesting that we'll necessarily have many left when we're in really serious contention again, but the more we have when we start to get right back into at least finals contention again the better, as far as I'm concerned and if we did "do a Port Adelaide" in a couple of years time (ie shoot from near the bottom to near the top in one season- much more likely if we had say Sheil and Boyd, plus a whole host of other young ones really ready to step up) then there could still be more than just Joey here when we're contending again, such as Dempster, Gilbert and Gwilt, which is better than the zero it could be if it's a couple of years later.

Hawthorn could have beaten us by 200 if they’d felt like it. Do you really think we’re just a couple quick trades away from finals footy again?

I worry that we might see our percentage drop to the lowest it’s been in 30 years. Hopefully we don’t break the record of 7 games losing by 100+.

Our GF participants have a role to play if we are rebuilding; passing on the good habits and protecting the youngsters from the outright beatings the likes of GWS took. But they are past their best. Lenny, Schneider, Dempster, Roo are all actually different players now to what they were back then. To rely on them for a finals push would be crazy, and frankly I don’t believe they are actually up to it anyway. They pass on what they can now, whilst we rebuild the list. Realistically we need about 10-12 players replaced in the starting lineup and then depth on top of that (so we don’t have to rely on people like Maister when we do start to turn things around).

“genuine flag contention by 2017”?!!!
Again I’ll point out Port Adelaide – 3-4 years of the mundane culminating in losing to what was essentially a TAC Cup side. Then they came 8th. Then in the second year of their rebound they’re contending for top 4 and might be considered flag contenders (personally I love watching them, but think they’ve got depth issues at the back and with KPPs).
You reckon we’ve done the hard bit already and we’ll be better by 2016? I actually think we’ll be worse in 2015 than we are now. By 2016-17 we’ll hopefully be close to where GWS are this year, and by then have added two more top-5 talents like Billings and two or three more top-25 talents. We wouldn't achieve that by giving up 1-2 picks for established players.

I certainly do think that when it comes to KPFs, I would be happier trading a 1st round pick for someone like Lynch who is proven AFL big-man talent. I worry that it’s too uncertain picking them in the draft, and the time it takes to develop, so makes sense to get someone who's already ready. But it’s very unlikely that they would come at that price; more likely that we’d have to give up more than 1 pick for an AFL-proven player. We can't give up multiple picks - there are too many holes in our list. We need multiple reinforcements, not a 1 or 2-player top-up to get us back into the finals.
There is a subtle difference between making a deal for Shiel that suits us (something similar as getting Josh Bruce) and that giving us confidence that 1 of the 10-12 replacements we need is sorted. That’s fine. But we can’t give up high picks and we don’t want to hover on the edge of finals footy when we’re still in the rebuild – we want high picks to fill our list with top talent in the same way GWS and GCS have. We want the chance to pick for example a David Swallow at pick 3 and not have to settle with picking David Armitage with pick 9. As much as I trust our recruiters, you don’t get a top-5 talent at pick 8 or 9 unless a few others clubs make a mistake or ‘reach’ for something they need.

In 2018 I want to be watching a team packed with gun players reaching their peak, not guys who have been gun players the last 4 years starting to play out their final years.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So whilst we need KPF as a priority, due to the way our list is set up we can’t neglect other positions that, if we are not careful, will become a weakness just a couple more seasons from now.

Hate quoting myself but also don't like editing an old post.
Just wanted to add, that I believe this is why Pelchen wanted to increase our number of draft picks over a series of drafts. He knows we don't just need the key 2-3 players, we need to get around 18 fresh bodies in the door. Of those 18 we hope maybe 13-14 make it as at least reliable AFL players, and 5 end up being guns. Then we'll be set.

Like arr theory on Shiel and Boyd for our first rounder, but I can see them playing hard ball in trying to get Shiel. Eg. Take our second/third rounder or the kid walks to the draft next year

I'd like to get Shiel in a similar fashion to Melb got Tyson. Somehow get another top 10 pick (GWS would have to get that via another traded) thrown back our way. I reckon a tall will slide. I can't see all of Wright, McCartin, Goddard and Durdin going picks 1-4. There'll be mids like Brayshaw in between and a couple of bolters towards the back end of the year. If all went well, for pick 2 (traded to GWS) we could get Shiel and Durdin/Goddard/McCartin. GWS would probably want our 2nd rounder as well, like they did with the Tyson deal. Be nice to hang onto it.

[

I certainly do think that when it comes to KPFs, I would be happier trading a 1st round pick for someone like Lynch who is proven AFL big-man talent. I worry that it’s too uncertain picking them in the draft, and the time it takes to develop, so makes sense to get someone who's already ready. But it’s very unlikely that they would come at that price; more likely that we’d have to give up more than 1 pick for an AFL-proven player. We can't give up multiple picks - there are too many holes in our list. We need multiple reinforcements, not a 1 or 2-player top-up to get us back into the finals.
There is a subtle difference between making a deal for Shiel that suits us (something similar as getting Josh Bruce) and that giving us confidence that 1 of the 10-12 replacements we need is sorted. That’s fine. But we can’t give up high picks and we don’t want to hover on the edge of finals footy when we’re still in the[/QUOTE]
I'd like to get Shiel in a similar fashion to Melb got Tyson. Somehow get another top 10 pick (GWS would have to get that via another traded) thrown back our way. I reckon a tall will slide. I can't see all of Wright, McCartin, Goddard and Durdin going picks 1-4. There'll be mids like Brayshaw in between and a couple of bolters towards the back end of the year. If all went well, for pick 2 (traded to GWS) we could get Shiel and Durdin/Goddard/McCartin. GWS would probably want our 2nd rounder as well, like they did with the Tyson deal. Be nice to hang onto it.

1.Bris - Wright
2.St K - McCartin
3.GWS - Durdin
4.Melb - Goddard

...looks pretty realistic to me (esp 1,2 & 3)

Jake Owen? Yes please!!! Wanted him last yr.

Must be the same Owen my mate keeps telling people about...
"Hey do you know Owen?"
"Owen who?"
"OWEN THE SAINTS"

That could work!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[

1.Bris - Wright
2.St K - McCartin
3.GWS - Durdin
4.Melb - Goddard

...looks pretty realistic to me (esp 1,2 & 3)

These days clubs are wary of selecting tall players with early picks due to the length of time to develop them. We don't often see more than 1-2 KPP's selected in the first 10 picks. 4 in the first 4 picks would be extraordinary.

Boyd at 1 and may as well put Hogan (would've gone top 2) in that draft going by his age.

Daniher at 10 (Plowman and Stringer in the top 10 but not KPP/Rucks).

Patton at 1, Longer 8 and Cameron likely would've gone top 10 if he wasn't pre-listed.

I'm not saying those four don't go top 10 this draft but I would be extremely surprised if they were the first 4 players selected in the draft. Time will tell.

i would suggest GWS are a monty to take Durdin or Goddard (a gun, tall CHB/swingman would fit perfectly with Davis and co.)
Bris & Saints to take Wright & McCartin (or McCartin & Wright)

Bulldogs would take a tall
Richmond - ?
Melbourne - most probably a tall with Clarke gone

i would suggest GWS are a monty to take Durdin or Goddard (a gun, tall CHB/swingman would fit perfectly with Davis and co.)
Bris & Saints to take Wright & McCartin (or McCartin & Wright)

Bulldogs would take a tall
Richmond - ?
Melbourne - most probably a tall with Clarke gone

It will come down to best available. Theres more question marks on tall players and they are not as much a sure thing as the midfielders (and potential midfielders). The question always gets asked are they dominating because they are the biggest kids on the park and its not their talent?

I realise theres a lot of mock drafts out there written by people that know a shite load more than me but I'm sticking to my opinion that those four won't go top 4 in the draft. Opinions will change throughout the year by those draft experts. Saying that, Wright looks just about certain pick #1.

We need a grand father - grand son rule.
lamb.jpg

You'd have to assume that there won't be any first round FA compos this year surely?

Gibbs deal with Carlton basically done
Frawley word is with the Demons improvement he is likely to re-sign
Mundy who knows but that'll be a late first rounder if he leaves

Have i missed any other "big name" that would demand a first rounder?

Do not want. Sure he is a good player when played where he is comfitable. But the last thing we need is a spoiled brat who chucks the sooks when given a job he does not want to do.
He's playing a position that requires a completely mentality than the one he has previously been in. Of course he's going to struggle. Jake is 22, and at 21 was developing into one of the best KPDs in the league.

He doesn't seem as bad as his reputation in photos. He might not be safe in New Zealand though.
Former North and Collingwood great, Sam Kekovich, has come out and said he really rates him.

sam-kekovich.jpg

He's playing a position that requires a completely mentality than the one he has previously been in. Of course he's going to struggle. Jake is 22, and at 21 was developing into one of the best KPDs in the league.

Its not his struggling with the new position I have a problem with, its his sooking and refusal to give a real effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back