List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please keep all discussion regarding the national, pre-season and rookie drafts for this year in this thread.

Again, it's is early but over time posters will wish to discuss this and in order to avoid seperate threads on particular draftees or discussing them in other threads we prefer it in one spot.

Cheers.

Updated Picks: 3, 7, 46, 50, 82

KEY DATES

November 24 NAB AFL Draft

November 27 Pre-season & Rookie Draft

Last edited:

Josh Schache, 199cm, 96kg. 27 goals from 17 games last year in the TAC cup, started this season with a bag of 7 and a total of 11 from 3 games so far, and taken 3 contested marks in each game, similar to Tom Boyd's style just probably not as good but good enough to be taking the second best defender each week.

We took midfielders last year, Pretracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and Neal-Bullen, which all look likely types for the future, we need a long term prospect working next to Hogan, Dawes will still have another year with us at least next year so we won't have to rush him in, can develop a bit down at Casey.

Josh Schache, 199cm, 96kg. 27 goals from 17 games last year in the TAC cup, started this season with a bag of 7 and a total of 11 from 3 games so far, and taken 3 contested marks in each game, similar to Tom Boyd's style just probably not as good but good enough to be taking the second best defender each week.

We took midfielders last year, Pretracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and Neal-Bullen, which all look likely types for the future, we need a long term prospect working next to Hogan, Dawes will still have another year with us at least next year so we won't have to rush him in, can develop a bit down at Casey.
I still think we are light on for mids, even after last years draft. Brayshaw is a hit but ANB is unproven and Petracca has done an ACL so there is a question mark there too. Stretch looks more a winger than an on baller. That really just leaves us with Jones, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw and Vandenberg at the moment. Got to run deeper than that. Assuming Petracca makes a good recovery, I still think we need another two quality onballers.
As for forwards, the second key forward could well come from within the club. Potentially Fitzpatrick or Oscar Mac. Oscar is a couple of years away, needs time in the gym but he's quick and is great overhead.
Personally I think we should be going very hard at Shiel, Treloar and co. For either of those two I'd be prepared to give up our first two picks. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Need more everything.

The new bidding system is terrible. Have a decent father son coming through? Going to cost you all your picks if a top 5 pick gets thrown at him. Two come through in the same year? Could cost all this year and all next year's picks too. No pressure lads.

I still think we are light on for mids, even after last years draft. Brayshaw is a hit but ANB is unproven and Petracca has done an ACL so there is a question mark there too. Stretch looks more a winger than an on baller. That really just leaves us with Jones, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw and Vandenberg at the moment. Got to run deeper than that. Assuming Petracca makes a good recovery, I still think we need another two quality onballers.
As for forwards, the second key forward could well come from within the club. Potentially Fitzpatrick or Oscar Mac. Oscar is a couple of years away, needs time in the gym but he's quick and is great overhead.

Personally I think we should be going very hard at Shiel, Treloar and co. For either of those two I'd be prepared to give up our first two picks. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

We need more midfield depth

Way way more midfield depth, polished ball users who can play 1 on 1

Just looking at our youth.

Midfielders Tyson, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Neal-Bullen, Toumpas, Stretch.

Key Defenders T.Mcdonald, Frost, O.Mcdonald.

Key Forwards Hogan

Flanker types Kent, Kennedy Harris.

All these players should improve over the next few years and we can build around them, we have a bit of midfield talent, agree we need more but the one area falling behind is up forward, what happens when Hogan is out injured?

I think we should get another key forward with our first pick and use later picks for midfield depth and flanker types or a ruckman.

Agree though if we can bring in young top ready made talent like Shiel, Treloar and Prestia then yes trade our top pick and we can focus on another key forward the following year, but if we are taking our pick to the draft I'd rather finishing off our forward line, I think we have enough young midfield talent to keep us going at the moment, we can add to it the following seasons.

We need more midfield depth

Way way more midfield depth, polished ball users who can play 1 on 1
This.

Inability to rotate due to poor depth has been mentioned by Roos adnauseum this year. Factor in injury and our midfield only looks good compared to past Dees lists but not most other teams. Whether we trade our first rounder for a 2yr gun (my preference) or draft a gun doesn't change the need here.

It also gives us some freedom with how we use our mids. Petracca having stints forward, dropping someone across HB if need be, spreading more talent over the ground is a win. It's a running game and ability to use the footy and link up is critical all over the ground.

Yes we need a friend for Jesse up forward but I reckon a second round pick on a solid, dependable type could work or another trade. It's kind of odd, we have Howe but Roos won't play him forward so we have to accept it.

As far as ruck goes that will need to be addressed by a mature type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at our youth.

Midfielders Tyson, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Neal-Bullen, Toumpas, Stretch.

Key Forwards Hogan

All these players should improve over the next few years and we can build around them, we have a bit of midfield talent, agree we need more but the one area falling behind is up forward, what happens when Hogan is out injured?

I think we should get another key forward with our first pick and use later picks for midfield depth and flanker types or a ruckman.

Agree though if we can bring in young top ready made talent like Shiel, Treloar and Prestia then yes trade our top pick and we can focus on another key forward the following year, but if we are taking our pick to the draft I'd rather finishing off our forward line, I think we have enough young midfield talent to keep us going at the moment, we can add to it the following seasons.

If a once in a generation forward comes along like hogan, Boyd, Mccartin etc then yeah we have to take It, but look at geelong

They have Hawkins and Clark but aren't near a premiership because they don't have the midfield to get them there

We need a young ruck forward but we need blokes who can move the ball to the other end of the field

In your midfield group you have Petracca, ANB and Stretch who are completely unproven , plus toumpas who is a question mark

You basically need a midfield group of 10-12 quality players now which we are miles off

And when lumumba cross and Vince go we are gonna be lacking again

If a once in a generation forward comes along like hogan, Boyd, Mccartin etc then yeah we have to take It, but look at geelong

They have Hawkins and Clark but aren't near a premiership because they don't have the midfield to get them there

We need a young ruck forward but we need blokes who can move the ball to the other end of the field

In your midfield group you have Petracca, ANB and Stretch who are completely unproven , plus toumpas who is a question mark

You basically need a midfield group of 10-12 quality players now which we are miles off

And when lumumba cross and Vince go we are gonna be lacking again
I agree those guys are unproven just like unknown draft selections are. It's all about development, the guys I mentioned all still need to develop and if done right can be a very good midfield.

Midfielders are just a lot easier to pick up in the draft, key forwards are rare and these days the best ones are gone by pick 5, if we are in the position to draft a quality forward while we have a high pick I would.

I 100% agree you need about 12 mids in a side, I just think we have that starting core and it's much easier to pick others in future drafts and later picks

Our biggest concern is inside 50's, we need more polish in the midfield with some players that know how to use the ball and can get it in to our forwards advantage. Throw out first few picks at a Treloar or Shiel type of player and we will improve again next year.

The only thing we should target with our first pick is the best player available, you don't go for needs until later in the draft.
Disagree, if you need a key forward you take one in the first round, all the quality ones are gone by then. Later picks you end up with Brad Miller and Chris Dawes.

Like the descriptions of Rhys Mathieson in Cal Twomeys write ups. Big bodied midfielder from the Falcons with a mean streak. Was All-Australian last year as an underager. Would love to see him, Brayshaw and Petracca in the centre square for us in three years time...
Harley Balic seems like a similar type too.

After drafting Petracca, Brayshaw, Sretch and Neal-Bullen with our first 4 picks last year, I wouldn't mind drafting Joshua Schache, 199cm, 96kg KPF with our first pick. Hard at it full forward, probably not as highly rated as previous drafts KPF's but the best in this draft, will likely be a top 10 pick.

Kicked 27 goals from 17 games last year in the TAC cup, started this season with a bag of 7, currently on 11 from 3 games. Also taken 3 contested marks in each of his games this year.

I think while Hogan will be dragging the best defender up the field, this guy behind him in the 50 will worry a lot of team defences.

Roos is good at drafting mids with later picks so use them on mids and a ruckman.

The national championships have got under away and my main man Joshy Schache has started with a bang

Game 1 vs Vic Metro, 2 goals, 12 disposals, 10 contested, 4 marks, 3 contested marks

Game 2 vs Western Australia, 8 goals, 24 disposals, 10 contested, 7 marks, 3 contested marks

Again Schache along with Hogan can set up our forward line for the next 10-15years. We are covering most our other areas.

Key Forwards Hogan

The national championships have got under away and my main man Joshy Schache has started with a bang

Game 1 vs Vic Metro, 2 goals, 12 disposals, 10 contested, 4 marks, 3 contested marks

Game 2 vs Western Australia, 8 goals, 24 disposals, 10 contested, 7 marks, 3 contested marks

Again Schache along with Hogan can set up our forward line for the next 10-15years. We are covering most our other areas.

Key Forwards Hogan

If he keeps up what he's doing, what are the odds he lasts past Carlton's pick?

Need more everything.

The new bidding system is terrible. Have a decent father son coming through? Going to cost you all your picks if a top 5 pick gets thrown at him. Two come through in the same year? Could cost all this year and all next year's picks too. No pressure lads.

Jake Lovett will be on our radar this coming draft. He's been in the best for the Stingrays only once in 6 games so far. Hopefully be an absolute steal for us.

If he keeps up what he's doing, what are the odds he lasts past Carlton's pick?
Yeah would think all Carlton, Brisbane and the Gold Coast could do with a key forward, most people wouldn't have him in the top 5 so its a bit of a stretch for them as clubs performing that bad really need to take best available, although those performances would be moving him up the ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back