List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

The vultures are circling because of the year we have had and you can understand why.

Basically all this goes away when we start winning, finish off the year strong and have a break out year next year (highly likely when we have our best on the field) and these boys will be all looking to sign on. Just have a look at GWS a year ago the same vultures were all over, Cameron, Sheil, Patton, Boyd and 10 others, all but Boyd are still there because they are winning. If you listened to the Melbourne media or Bigfooty boards then all of them were dead certs to go to this club or that.

First things first, lets get our best team on the field

+Jesse Hogan , Prestia is a jet , wont happen.

Losing Dion is in the same ballpark to us as WC losing Judd to Carlton, he's that important to us
Not saying it can't happen, just that it would be in the same seismic order
The problem with being a Sun is he's just perceived as a "good player" form Melbourne centric media and suppporters with the belief that he wouldwalk if the price is right
We lose Dion that's just massive for the Club and everyone involved
When opposition supporters say what would you want for a trade, it's kind of WTF?

SUNS founder Graeme Downie says trading-out any party boys is the way to mend Gold Coast’s club’s reputation and help the players salvage their careers.

He said too many young Suns lacked respect for their privileged position as AFL footballers and in hindsight the club should have started with more senior players to force the elite teenage draftees to fight for a game.

Downie is the godfather of Queensland football who was chairman of the Brisbane Lions during their run of premierships before being seconded by the AFL to establish the Suns.

He said while saddened by the events that have unfolded at the Suns this year, he did not feel personally let down or that his work in earning the Gold Coast the AFL’s 17th licence had been wasted.

He was most upset for close friends, Suns chairman John Witheriff and football manager Marcus Ashcroft.

“They are first class people and they would be so disappointed that this has been going on behind their back, I feel sorry for them,” he said.

“Marcus came through a football culture at the Lions where the dedication of the players was fantastic, maybe he thought it would happen here because they have the privilege of being AFL players, but it doesn’t seem to mean enough to them.

“They never had to fight for a game, it has come too easily for a lot of them.

“How do you do it better, with hindsight you select a lot more senior players.”

He had no doubt Witheriff and Ashcroft were prepared to make the tough calls.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they start trading seriously,” he said.

“If there are guys who are never going to settle down while they are here they are better of going elsewhere and learning how to be footballers.

“They will be better off and the club will be better off.

“Those discussions would be going on all the time.”

Downie said he considered the recruitment of Karmichael Hunt to be a masterstroke because it put the Suns on the map.

He did not know if the club had a drug culture and suspected the issue was confined to the end-off-season period. He said an inquiry was vital to determine the truth.

“At the moment the club’s reputation has been damaged and the only way to repair that is determine what has happened and reprimand those involved so you can then go about fixing the culture,” he said.

Queensland’s clubs occupy the two bottom spots on the ladder but Downie is confident the future is bright.

He said fitness and injuries were the biggest issues for Suns coach Rodney Eade.

“They seem brittle, if you had to make a guess they haven’t physically got to the point they should have after this amount of time,” he said.

“They were on an express journey to become a finals team, that has been derailed and they have been setback a few years.

“But that has happened to every club in history. It is not all doom and gloom.”

The Lions are also on the right track and he is excited by the emergence of Harris Andrews and Nick Robertson.

“It appears the board and administration is well settled and Justin (Leppitsch) is well accepted as coach,” he said.

“The players are having a crack, they are young and can’t run out games yet but I expect them to improve next year.”

He's a very respected outsider though. Was a great leader for the Lions. I reckon he is pretty well spot on in his comments. We never recruited enough good senior players. Some of our boys seem to take it for granted. They are brittle. IF they are not going to respect the Guernsey, trade them on.

The Herald sun have a subscription only article..
Suns to trade away party boys..
If anyone can post it here please :)
After reading that shite, it confirms why I don't pay the subscription....I'm expecting the media scum to now wheel out articles claiming our player's leaving or clubs circling for them. Again we have an uncorroborated statement from a hazy and vague addict, made to keep himself out of jail.

He said too many young Suns lacked respect for their privileged position as AFL footballers and in hindsight the club should have started with more senior players to force the elite teenage draftees to fight for a game.

gee
really?
Maybe us supporters were actually onto something back in 2011-12

Pretty important the club backs up the boys rather than naming and shaming them. Otherwise you are going to find a number of the guys request trades (with lowered trade valued) and who is going to want to come to a club that sold its players out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty important the club backs up the boys rather than naming and shaming them. Otherwise you are going to find a number of the guys request trades (with lowered trade valued) and who is going to want to come to a club that sold its players out.
I've been impressed with Eade so far. No knee jerk reactions to appease media scum.
"We'll wait until we get facts" & "there hasn't been any facts presented previously, there's no facts at the moment". "There's been a fair amount of mud slung". He's a seasoned media performer and won't get caught up with media games. Maggot's story will unwind when alibis are confirmed. No positive tests, no admissions.

They can't release names as they are protected under the AFL drugs policy, nothing will come of this storm in a teacup unless the names are released from the leaked k-hunt document and that wont happen as the AFLPA and the players would sue the media outlet that released them.

2 more days and the media will be onto something else, like Hirds job if the Bombers lose again. I can see the headline now HIRD INJECTED.... WHOOPS EJECTED

Ah yes, I forgot the rookie administration...maybe the biggest mistake

I remember we were chasing Voss to be the coach before we appointed Bluey 3 wise monkeys McKenna, so perhaps it could of been worse.

everything is easy in hindsight of course, I know I wouldn't of invested in Greek shares for instance but we really did need a strong matuer coach from the outset

A Worsfold or Lyon would of had this group humming by now

I remember we were chasing Voss to be the coach before we appointed Bluey 3 wise monkeys McKenna, so perhaps it could of been worse.

everything is easy in hindsight of course, I know I wouldn't of invested in Greek shares for instance but we really did need a strong matuer coach from the outset

A Worsfold or Lyon would of had this group humming by now

Didnt worsfold have cousins and kerr and everyone on the drugs while he was in charge..?
Might of been Malthouse?
Then again.. Atleast they were winning

Dark days indeed..

vultures7.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back