List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

This is just great. I no longer give that much of a shit whether we get Lever or not, it’s just great to feel like I’m somehow a key player in the drama!

It wasn't, it was $400. And that's where you start, and then you negotiate until you can find an agreement. But Lever was clearly offended..."Don't you know who I am"? etc.... Massive ego, it's becoming clear.
But if we matched what he was asking - $750-850K a season, he would have been our highest paid player. Fact.
So..... given that that is what you are offering on a 5 year deal, $750K, that means you rate him unbelievable highly for a 3 year player. 2 first round picks highly. Who else on your list will be on more coin than that? I mean in actual fact, not just a BF poster pulling figures out of thin air.
If your initial offer was actually $400 then he has good reason to be upset .

If your initial offer was actually $400 then he has good reason to be upset .

It was a starting point. That's all. On the scale of what guys like Talia (already AA), Smith (already AA), Laird (already AA), Sloane (already AA), Jacobs, the Crouch's etc are on, it's actually a very solid starting point. $750 is way overs. So yes, $400K seems like a very appropriate starting point. Then you negotiate from there. I'm sure you blokes get how contract negotiations work.

It was a starting point. That's all. On the scale of what guys like Talia (already AA), Smith (already AA), Laird (already AA), Sloane (already AA), Jacobs, the Crouch's etc are on, it's actually a very solid starting point. $750 is way overs. So yes, $400K seems like a very appropriate starting point. Then you negotiate from there. I'm sure you blokes get how contract negotiations work.
I think he was saying

Nah, never mind

Hypothetical because I don't know if they would be interested but What would Carlton want for pick 3? Pick 10 and Jack Watts with maybe a little more thrown in?

Tell Adelaide we offer pick 10 and 27. Give them a day to accept or we go talk to Carlton and get pick 3. We can then pick up Lever via the draft if needed but first go back to Adelaide and say we'll give you pick 3 but we want 17 coming back.

I think he was saying

Nah, never mind
This has been floating around on our board this afternoon. Didn't see original post and cannot verify accuracy. Seems plausible.

423895_d6d64dcf86a0ebf77bbe606a87ffd365.jpg

This has been floating around on our board this afternoon. Didn't see original post and cannot verify accuracy. Seems plausible.

Cool story bro.

Pity Mahoney has confirmed that Lever received higher offers from other Melbourne based clubs. It has never been about the money, that's just Adelaide's way of trying to save face.

Funny though

Cool story bro.

Pity Mahoney has confirmed that Lever received higher offers from other Melbourne based clubs. It has never been about the money, that's just Adelaide's way of trying to save face.

Funny though
I am not sure where in my post there was any reference to other clubs? Did you read it all? Did you understand it? Would you like an explanation? It was specifically only directly in relation to offers from both Adelaide and Melbourne.

Another poster has asked a few questions. I made a clear statement about the accuracy, and in fact made it clear I was unsure of the original source.

I am not sure where in my post there was any reference to other clubs? Did you read it all? Did you understand it? Would you like an explanation? It was specifically only directly in relation to offers from both Adelaide and Melbourne.

Another poster has asked a few questions. I made a clear statement about the accuracy, and in fact made it clear I was unsure of the original source.

Your post was clear with its intent. It's trying to make Lever look like he was going to go to the highest bidder, it's an attempt to make him look like a money hungry grub.

Your post was clear with its intent. It's trying to make Lever look like he was going to go to the highest bidder, it's an attempt to make him look like a money hungry grub.
Hahaha. Did you read the posts above at all? Anyway, I am sure you're getting tired with all the jumping you're doing over there.

Goodnight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming that's correct, I understand him being pissed. Everyone knew a pay hike was coming with the CBA. $400k is chump change in playing terms, that's what we're paying Melksham. Even the revised is touch and go for a first-round pick who has played two years of consistent footy for the club...

Hypothetical because I don't know if they would be interested but What would Carlton want for pick 3? Pick 10 and Jack Watts with maybe a little more thrown in?

Tell Adelaide we offer pick 10 and 27. Give them a day to accept or we go talk to Carlton and get pick 3. We can then pick up Lever via the draft if needed but first go back to Adelaide and say we'll give you pick 3 but we want 17 coming back.

They would be looking at Tyson, Bugg, Frost & McKenna. Anyone who has worn an orange jumper appears their target. Maybe throw in the bloke who holds the Stop sign at roadworks as well

Assuming that's correct, I understand him being pissed. Everyone knew a pay hike was coming with the CBA. $400k is chump change in playing terms, that's what we're paying Melksham. Even the revised is touch and go for a first-round pick who has played two years of consistent footy for the club...
TBH I really don't know how the exact process unfolded. Looking at what I've posted, he was offered $400K at the start of the year. He was a player with approx 30 games experience about to start his 2nd full season. The initial offer was upgraded to $500K before the CBA, and $550 after, and before Melbourne's first offer.

Based on what has unfolded during the course of the year that seems plausible and consistent with what the club has murmured publicly (except of course the specific monetary figures). If $550K was the genuine offer, that would have put him on around the same pay scale as what we believe the contract values for B.Crouch, E.Betts are. Only less than Walker, Sloane, Jacobs and Talia. $650K would have elevated him further again.

We have quite a few players that will need to re-signed next year with the expectation that they will be getting pay rises. M.Crouch, R.Laird, T.Lynch, L.Brown, B.Smith to name a few.

You will be possibly be having the same problems in the next year or so. I imagine players like Viney, Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Hunt will probably all be looking for better deals when their next contracts come around. And you'll have most of the other Melbourne clubs all shaking the tree to see what falls out. Its never much fun.

I accept he's gone. I just hope the clubs can reach a reasonable agreement. Its been a big week, with not a lot to be happy about. Sure we're pissed about this. Its a little more complex than to say we're pissed because he ran away for more money.

I accept he's gone. I just hope the clubs can reach a reasonable agreement. Its been a big week, with not a lot to be happy about. Sure we're pissed about this. Its a little more complex than to say we're pissed because he ran away for more money.

We're pissed because you didn't beat West Coast. If we can jerk you round a little over Lever then consider it payback. :mad:

They would be looking at Tyson, Bugg, Frost & McKenna. Anyone who has worn an orange jumper appears their target. Maybe throw in the bloke who holds the Stop sign at roadworks as well

I reckon you're on to something there. Chuck a couple of high viz vests on Wagner and JKH and we should be in the ballpark to trade for their first pick.

The fact adelaide have so many AA players to pay is why Lever is leaving. Its also why Adelaide were in a GF and we were struggling to hit the finals at all.

He gets paid over the next 4 years because we still have wiggle room due to clowns getting paid good money. When their contracts run out that money will be redistributed to the upcoming stars.
Lever will stay on good money as long as he keeps performing. If he doesnt he can be traded again.

Its that simple. If Ad want to keep him, the older players need to take pay cuts or they need to build the understanding of pay scale early.

But he is worth more than any other player on your list. Go figure. :rolleyes:

He won't necessarily be once new deals are negotiated. I've got a long memory, and you blokes gave us a late 1st rounder for Scott Thompson who went onto play 300 games and was a club champion. We didn't complain, and we got nothing for the development we put into him. I can understand why the club is upset, but I think our offer is fair.

But if we matched what he was asking - $750-850K a season, he would have been our highest paid player. Fact.
I heard Burton say this. I don't really understand why that is such a horrible thing?

You guys seem to want your cake and eat it too. On the one hand you are saying Lever is worth 2 first round picks and is gonna be an unbelievably good player for 10 years, and has made AA squads at 21 and rattle off another 5 accolades, but then you say he's not allowed to be your highest paid player.

Can you see the contradiction in there?

If I thought i could sell my house for $750k and someone offered me $400k then I would consider that to be ahighly disrespectful offer.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I sold one of my pianos recently. The advertised price was $3,200. One guys comes around and offers me "$400 cash". I told him to get f**ked and asked him to leave my house. There was no negotiating from that starting point.

We all know that low-ball offers are made, but there is contract-negotiation style low, and there is insulting low. If Adelaide really offered Lever $300k, that's insulting low. If Melbourne offered Adelaide a round 1 and a round 2 for Lever, that's contract negotiation style low - not insulting style low. If the Adelaide list manager stormed out of the cafe over that, he's incompetent and it's no wonder Adelaide is losing players for unders.

oooh lordy, The AFL community has certainly turned on the crows, and for good reason.

They spoke honorably when phil walsh died and they dedicated the season to him, then when they lose, they proceed to show their true colours. Now Lever is going and it's all coming out as to how the AFC have handled and are handling this, and people are not impressed.

I sold one of my pianos recently. The advertised price was $3,200. One guys comes around and offers me "$400 cash". I told him to get f**ked and asked him to leave my house. There was no negotiating from that starting point.

We all know that low-ball offers are made, but there is contract-negotiation style low, and there is insulting low. If Adelaide really offered Lever $300k, that's insulting low. If Melbourne offered Adelaide a round 1 and a round 2 for Lever, that's contract negotiation style low - not insulting style low. If the Adelaide list manager stormed out of the cafe over that, he's incompetent and it's no wonder Adelaide is losing players for unders.

I sold a car recently at reasonable market value at 6k by waiting for the right buyer. But the number of muppets i got saying "2k cash" was just insane. And i wanted to snap every one of those vultures in the head.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back