List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I think our club seem so seething with anger at the moment I wouldn't be surprised at any outcome with this situation. I've never seen this level of resentment and anger from 1) playing group 2) Head of Football 3) CEO, over a player trying on what Lever is.

I'm wondering if there is a lot more behind this. Lever is, from all we can tell, above all keen to return home to Victoria, and this could be a vital factor here. Of the 44 players on the Crows list this year, only 12 are from South Australia (22 are Victorians). At last year's draft, of the 80 players taken by the 18 clubs, only four were from SA (plus one "NT/SA"). Bottom line - SA just isn't producing AFL footballers, and as a result the Crows are becoming very reliant on drafting players from other states. Every time a player "returns home" it further establishes this as a viable and acceptable path - get drafted to the Crows, but after a contract or two, right when you are coming into your prime, you return to Victoria (or WA, NSW, etc.) I'm wondering if this is something the Crows hierarchy is fearing, hence the strong reaction from the club.

Obviously players wanting to return home is a concern for every club, but the Crows are more exposed than most - even GWS has more NSW players on its list than the Crows have South Australians!

I'm wondering if there is a lot more behind this. Lever is, from all we can tell, above all keen to return home to Victoria, and this could be a vital factor here. Of the 44 players on the Crows list this year, only 12 are from South Australia (22 are Victorians). At last year's draft, of the 80 players taken by the 18 clubs, only four were from SA (plus one "NT/SA"). Bottom line - SA just isn't producing AFL footballers, and as a result the Crows are becoming very reliant on drafting players from other states. Every time a player "returns home" it further establishes this as a viable and acceptable path - get drafted to the Crows, but after a contract or two, right when you are coming into your prime, you return to Victoria (or WA, NSW, etc.) I'm wondering if this is something the Crows hierarchy is fearing, hence the strong reaction from the club.

Obviously players wanting to return home is a concern for every club, but the Crows are more exposed than most - even GWS has more NSW players on its list than the Crows have South Australians!

The SA govt needs to mess around with sports earnings tax rates. Texas keeps heaps of its players by having them pay stupidly low taxes compares to places like New York or California.

I sold one of my pianos recently. The advertised price was $3,200. One guys comes around and offers me "$400 cash". I told him to get f**ked and asked him to leave my house. There was no negotiating from that starting point.

We all know that low-ball offers are made, but there is contract-negotiation style low, and there is insulting low. If Adelaide really offered Lever $300k, that's insulting low. If Melbourne offered Adelaide a round 1 and a round 2 for Lever, that's contract negotiation style low - not insulting style low. If the Adelaide list manager stormed out of the cafe over that, he's incompetent and it's no wonder Adelaide is losing players for unders.

Can you tell me which players Adelaide has lost for unders?

The SA govt needs to mess around with sports earnings tax rates. Texas keeps heaps of its players by having them pay stupidly low taxes compares to places like New York or California.
Income tax is federal not state

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Burton say this. I don't really understand why that is such a horrible thing?

You guys seem to want your cake and eat it too. On the one hand you are saying Lever is worth 2 first round picks and is gonna be an unbelievably good player for 10 years, and has made AA squads at 21 and rattle off another 5 accolades, but then you say he's not allowed to be your highest paid player.

Can you see the contradiction in there?

It's absolutely no different to the contradiction that you are offering him more than any other player on your list, yet in the same breath are saying he isn't worth 2 first round picks. ??

It's absolutely no different to the contradiction that you are offering him more than any other player on your list, yet in the same breath are saying he isn't worth 2 first round picks. ??
Or maybe, just maybe, we have been prudent with this in order to make sure we aren't overpaying.

It's not like he's a million dollar player.

As we speak - Aaron Young, Jarman Impey, Jackson Trengove, Brendon AhChee, Matthew Lobbe are all wanting to leave Port Adelaide.
Impey is useless
Trengove dropped for a final
Ah Chee and Lobbe can't get a game
Young in and out.

Bit different to Davis, Bock, Gunston, Dangerfield, Lever.

If Collingwood is the leading suitor for Watts what can they even offer us? People are saying Port and Sydney want to get a 2nd rounder but Collingwood dont have one of those? Future 2nd? Not keen on that

If Collingwood is the leading suitor for Watts what can they even offer us? People are saying Port and Sydney want to get a 2nd rounder but Collingwood dont have one of those? Future 2nd? Not keen on that
2018 draft is meant to be great, I would take a future pick. Especially from Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back