List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Great draft, took best available.
Who knows when we'll get a chance to pick up a player of Branders quality again?
Can generally get good mids deep into a draft, not as often a key fwd.

Would have been foolish to pass on Allen at 21.

We've recruited heavily on mids for years now, it's time for those players to step up!
Duggan, Sheed, Partington, Venables, Karpany, Cole, Nelson and Mutimer all still on the list.

With Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Jetta and Gaff established.

Plus we've added Ah Chee and now Ainsworth and Brayshaw.

And Masten & Hutchings are hopefully relegated to depth only

That's 18 players who can be rotated through midfield, you can't go too far the other way, otherwise they'll never get a chance.

I don't think any of the mids available at 13 were going to turn around our midfield in a profound way.

I :eyes: you, Ben Roberts.

I'd say people are probably displeased that we needed top quality midfielders and instead chose to take 2 talls with our first 2 picks. Brander in isolation is fine. Allen in isolation is fine. Together with Ryan with our first three picks they make for a disappointing draft imo.
Maybe we get two big guys (who take longer to mature) this year, mids next year so they all peak together?

Just a thought.

To me the Eagles have invested in their future more than the now...I think they are planning for a mini-rebuild of sorts.

I'm probably wrong but Eagles do actually have quite a lot of young mids on the list...they just haven't necessary stepped up enough to really take the club deep into finals but the club are probably hoping a midfield with the likes of Masten, Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Duggan, Partington, Karpany, Venables, Redden, Jetta, Ainsworth, Brayshaw etc is enough. I'm sure i've missed some others.

Kennedy, McKenzie, Hurn etc are getting on in age so I think it was a good idea to draft their replacements now...talls typically take a few years to develop.
Allen might play up forward and Brander has been described as being able to play both forward and back.

Josh Hill is gone and Le Cras is probably on his last legs so can see the need for Ryan.
Great post IMO
Lecca hopefully shouldn't play next year but rather be there to mentor the next crop. Lecca has so much to teach.

CHeers for the input. (love the username!!!!)

Our draftees (National and Rookie) from the last 3 years have played a total of 116 games between 24 players. That would have to be the lowest in the competition by a long long way? The only 2016 draftees who played a game were mature age Petrie (16) and McInness (2).

Based on this years selection the club must feel like the guys who have been in the system a couple of years are ready for the next level.
Remember we were turned into Norf with our list profile and age. That number of 116 games between 24 players is not surprising at all. We took a punt, and it failed. Failed badly and the kickback is we have a lot of kids needing games now.
Relax, this club knows what its doing....
iu

Why are we so desparate for mids? Shuey Partington Venables Mutimer Ah Chee Sheed Gaff Redden + potentially Duggan, Nelson, Jetta, etc.... seems like a fairly large group? With Priddis (and, to a lesser extent, Mitchell) gone from that midfield, the dynamic and opportunities for some of these players could really open up. One example that springs to mind is I think Redden will become far more prolific in his role in our team. Accordingly, I don’t know if the need was as strong as some people make out. We are always a “draft the best player available” club, and I think we got the balance right taking some elite key position players, adding some forward flair but still also grabbing a few mids late in the draft.
Really agree with this. We've drafted for 2 or 3 years down the track, and there's enough mid potential already at the club to justify the forward bias for when JK at al hang up their boots. Love the Ryan pick and with new mid coaches I reckon this was a decent draft strategy.

But for an Eagles supporter, So did Brander and his family.
Do you know where Wentworth is? Its a plane ride to melbourne, then ANOTHER plane ride to Perth.
Its a family thing the son is now on the other side of a really big country.

Can't say I'm surprsied if thats the emotion they showed TBH. We kept Michael Braun happy and he was from (Echuca) I think. SHould be ok.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know where Wentworth is? Its a plane ride to melbourne, then ANOTHER plane ride to Perth.
Its a family thing the son is now on the other side of a really big country.

Can't say I'm surprsied if thats the emotion they showed TBH. We kept Michael Braun happy and he was from (Echuca) I think. SHould be ok.......

Yeah, I'm familiar with Wentworth, on the NSW/VIC border so i figured it would be a trek. Can't blame him for being a upset, I too would be upset leaving from near Mildura. Man, the amount of juice i would be drinking, damn.

He should be fine though, after going to a boarding school and the upside of being two plane rides away is he's playing for the club he grew supporting.

A lot of pressure on Nic Nat to fire next year in the midfield. Shuey will be heavily tagged and we have no other mids worth mentioning yet. Shuey will feel let down tonight I think. He has a tough year ahead of him.
In fairness, we were never going to get a mid from a draft that was going to help Shue at all. Really. THey are all too young. Rookie draft maybe.

All this talk of drafting midfielders is pretty stupid considering the picks we had. Shows the lack of knowledge most have when it comes to drafting.

Gun Midfielders are top 10. Anything after that your really entering a lotto system. Some may work but most probally will fade. Your not going to get a midfielder that will have any impact at pick 40 are you. Highly unlikely.

We drafted the way I wanted it to go. Was a brilliant draft. Key forwards take approx 3-4 years to develop. We got the best key forward in the draft and Allen who looks great aswell. We actually need forwards this year. Kennedy has probably 3-4 years left then what. We had nothing so these two kids will fill that hole.

Our small forwards have been lettings us down for years. Havent had a solid small since Ash Sampey or Phil Matera. Lecras was good in 2012 but is slow and crap now and Cripps is no crumber. Hill is gone so that cabnet is bare also. Getting Ryan was perfect. Now hope Rioli comes on with ryan and all of a sudden we got a capable forward line. Finally. Anyone thinking our forward line was ok has no idea. Kennedy had to take all the brunt as the rest are shit. About time we got some talent around him.

Now onto our midfield problem well we took the best for the rest of the picks we had in Ainsworth and Brayshaw. Which in reality they will be just as good as any midfield pick above pick 10 as its lotto.

So we have a developing midfield. Its not that bad. Sheed and Duggan with another should be better. Vendables and Partington should come on a bit. Then Shuey and Gaff, Yeo Hutchings to round it out and throw in some mature rookies to come with the returning Nic Nat and Lycett its not all doom and gloom. People just need to have a idea and know that the holes where actually in the forward line this year. We just filled it. I loved this years draft.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

How did you expect to pick up top midfielders though in the calibre of Judd, Cousins & Kerr when our first pick was not until pick 13? All the best midfielders were gone by the time our pick came around.

I don't know, maybe by actually drafting midfield talent, instead of three forwards. What we should've been doing in the first place, is trying to package pics with other clubs to get into the top 10 to get access to top midfield talent, because that's the area we need to fix the most. The fact that our club thinks that a young guy who's never played AFL and is injury prone (Venables), and a guy who couldn't get regular games at Port Adelaide after six years on the list (Ah Chee) is going to fix our midfield issues just shows how delusional they are. I can tell you how you don't get top midfield talent with pics 13, and that's by picking forwards.

What's even more delusional, is when Bond comes on here and tells us that Allen is going to transition into the midfield as if we have some great history of getting players to transition from flanks into the midfield. How many of these halfback flankers with midfield potential that we've drafted over the last 10 years have we actually transitioned into an midfielder? I can tell you the answer to that question, the answer is none.

I also don't see Ryan lasting on the list for more than a year or 2 to be honest. From all the interviews I've seen of the guy he seems like an incredibly talented individual who just won't cope with the professional life of an AFL footballer. I wish all the draftees all the best, but I honestly think the club stuffed up royally here apart from Brayshore and maybe Ainsworth.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back