List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if we’d have taken Brander knowing Allen would be there at 21. I don’t blame the club for taking him as best available at all, just frustrating we missed out on Tim K.

Hindsight eh. :)

If we replace Kelly with Scloithe and / or Griggs in the rookie draft would missing out on him matter?

If we replace Kelly with Scloithe and / or Griggs in the rookie draft would missing out on him matter?
Like this call from you, I think Schloithe deserved more love throughout the year given how much everyone gave Kelly. I really want him as that mature age option.

I rebalanced it. It was tough work though.

Backs - 10
Nelson, Barrass, Emac, McGov, Cole, Hurn, Sheppard, Schofield, Brander, Rotham

Mids - 16
Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Masten, Jetta, Gaff, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Duggan, Yeo, Petrucelle, Venables, Partington, Mutimer,

Fwds - 10
LeCras, Kennedy, Cripps, Rioli, Karpany, Darling, Waterman, MAllen, OAllen, Ryan

Rucks - 3
Vardy, Nic Nat, Lycett
You're delusional mate. Duggan and Yeo play their best footy off the HBF and played pretty much the entire season there. Yet all of a sudden they're midfielders? Ok, *glug, glug, sniff, sniff, inject, inject*

Petrol cell is also a HBF played his junior footy there.

Venables, Partington, Mutimer haven't played a single game at afl level in the midfield, must be nice to live life high as a kite.

Funny that our pick 68 seems to be the only player everyone is happiest with.

Not our 5 picks before 37

It's bizarre but the more I research our overall haul the happier I get. Brayshaw is the one I'm the most "meh" about as his odds of making it are the greatest. A pick in the late 60s? C'mon people :$

Will be rapt if he does make it of course. We need big bodied inside mids after all.

We would have had to spend either 13 or 21 to get him and you would not do that when you have obvious key position quality available at those picks.
But we have key position quality right now. My issue with this draft is that it's basically consigned us to treading water for the next few years, I don't think we've done enough with the midfield to compete for a premiership whilst we still have the best spine in the country. It's all well and good to take KPP for the future but I honestly think if we'd gone a different way we could have had another crack at a flag in the next 2-3 years. Now I'm not so sure we've got the players in the midfield to do it.

We picked best available at our 1st 2 picks even though we weren't in immediate need for key talls. Ryan could be anything and possibly the best pure small forward available, but we probably reached after being spooked about missing out on Kelly. Petrucelle is an exciting raw prospect, while we got a huge bargain in Brayshaw, but I would've been a lot happier with Worpel than Ainsworth. Overall a reasonable draft despite not really addressing our biggest and more pressing needs.

Look at our ridiculously unbalanced list....

Backs - 12
Nelson, Barrass, Emac, McGov, Duggan, Yeo, Cole, Hurn, Sheppard, Schofield, Rotham, Petrucelle

Mids - 9
Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Masten, Jetta, Gaff, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw

Fwds - 14
LeCras, Kennedy, Cripps, Venables, Partington, Mutimer, Rioli, Karpany, Darling, Waterman, MAllen, Brander, OAllen, Ryan

Rucks - 3
Vardy, Nic Nat, Lycett

We only have 3 wingers, if Jetta or Gaff goes down then we're relying on Masten. Ditto for our rucks, an injury or two and we're screwed. No depth to put pressure on performance, no development for the future either.

A couple of injuries to our mids and we're relying on first year players Ainsworth and Bradshaw to carry a full load.

Seriously what the hell were our selectors thinking about?

Think you are deliberately distorting the truth to tell your story. I count about 10 players that I think people on here have wanted to be playing midfield minutes. You could also through in Lecras and people used to say Cox was like an extra midfielder, I would say the same of Naitanui, just a very different kind of mid.

I don’t think all them will be full time mids next year, but that is they way footy is now.

If we have injuries to key players then we may have to restructure things a little more. 2015 that worked out awesome, 2017 was a bit more of a struggle.

Backs - 10

Mids - 16
Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Masten, Jetta, Gaff, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Duggan, Yeo, Petrucelle, Venables, Partington, Mutimer,

Fwds - 10
LeCras, Kennedy, Cripps, Rioli, Karpany, Darling, Waterman, MAllen, OAllen, Ryan

Rucks - 3
Vardy, Nic Nat, Lycett
That midfield isn't good enough to win a flag imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I'm pretty happy with the draft.
I tend to really dislike phantom drafts because they are generally recycled opinions and when the real thing differs from the phantom it's an automatic failure. Let's at least give it a few years.

Allen - steal at 21 imo. Have a feeling he will be a star.

Brander - dunno a alot about him but often rated as the best kpf prospect. Ive been nervous about jk replacement for the last draft or two so happy for this.

Ryan - I was pretty nervous in the run up to the draft that we would reach for him, but now that it's happened I'm ok with it. Think it was amazingjoshy who made an excellent point last week. Imagine we drafted a forward 3 years ago at 26 who kicked 70+ goals this year. No one would be complaining .

Ainsworth - was underwhelmed when we picked him. However I really dunno anything about him. After some more informed comments and information I feel ok with this too.

Petruccelle - like this type of pick. Has a lot of scope to improve. Hate the argument of "this worked so well with lamb". The point of getting project players late isn't that they will all succeed, in fact most will fail doesn't meant we shouldnt roll the dice occasionally. Good pick.

Brayshaw - good value at this pick range.

Excited to see what we do in the RD.
Also don't agree that we have nothing coming through in the midfield. Personally I still think duggan will be a gun in the middle and have high hopes for DV. Bullish for Cole also.

I'm happiest with Petrucelle, who was the only pick I got correct. Huge potential. Lets hope he stars with East Perth early on so we can give him some early AFL exposure.
Surely Petruccelle is a bit more of a project player. Would expect him to start in WAFL reserves and be a few years away from an AFL start.

At least East Perth will finally have a forward line.

Overall I'm happy with the draft. Players like Ah Chee and Brayshaw could be 2 midfielders we see next year and already that's an improvement

A couple of things to note;

Those saying we needed to draft mids now to challenge while Naitanui and Kennedy are around are kidding themselves. Are you really expecting the 12th best mid in the draft to come in and have an immediate impact in the next 2-3 years?

Also to those who said we should have drafted Constable; We just had the slowest midfield in the league with Priddis and Mitchell. Do you really want to go back to that in a few years with the slowest midfielder from the draft?

But we have key position quality right now. My issue with this draft is that it's basically consigned us to treading water for the next few years, I don't think we've done enough with the midfield to compete for a premiership whilst we still have the best spine in the country. It's all well and good to take KPP for the future but I honestly think if we'd gone a different way we could have had another crack at a flag in the next 2-3 years. Now I'm not so sure we've got the players in the midfield to do it.

Let's face it, players like Partington and Venables are still yet to hit their straps, Redden and Sheed should still be in their prime in 2-3 years, we've now got highly rated Ah Chee - but Kennedy is on the wrong side of 30 and the others are all duds.

We have to keep thinking about the future because KPPs often take a while to develop (McGovern spent 3 years on our list before his debut, for example). If a touted number 1 pick from not long ago is suddenly available to us at 13, and the medical and playing reports are fine, you take it. The best available mid at 13 is unlikely to contribute much this year anyway, and if we took someone like Tim Kelly at 13 it has all the makings of Blaine Boekhorst Mk II.

Sometimes you have to back in what you've got because there isn't much else you can do. What impact would a Constable have in 2018?

Fasolo was one we tried for. We may have gone for B Matera as well but only guessing on that one.
Actually according to Brandon himself, we never even contacted him at all, so seems like we simply had no interest in him whatsoever. So he jumped at the chance to return to WA when Freo called. Considering that Freo got him on the cheap, maybe we should've had a punt, but hopefully Ryan will turn out better anyway.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...-dockers-forward-brandon-matera-ng-b88660694z

Last edited:
People want an inside, contested bull midfielder. I think 12 months without Nic Nat has made a few people forget just exactly what he brings to the table. He’s exactly that, just with the added bonus of being the best tap Ruckman in the league.

I was critical last night myself, but with some perspective I’m cool. Brander looks an interesting prospect; very highly rated earlier this year as a Top 5 pick but fell away due to changing roles. I think if we can focus him as a FWD he’ll do well. Reminds me of Charlie Dixon for some reason.

I’d already assumed we were drafting Allen, so to get him at 21 was good work. I assume the idea will be to develop him as a contested ball winning mid who pushes forward. Solid.

Ryan people are complaining about, but man, he really could be anything. Proven form and ready to play now. The risk is worth the reward.

Ainsworth I don’t know enough about, but looks a likely type. Looks like we rated him as best available mid, let’s see how he goes. Brayshaw too I was happy about, not because I know much about his game but he comes from good stock. Given how hard he pressed for this opportunity, hopeful he takes it with both hands.

I assume that if Gaff does bolt after next season, we’ll be getting a top 10 pick in this “super draft” to nab a midfielder at any rate.

Whatever your feelings, the boys bleed blue and gold now. Best of luck in your careers lads and will be hoping you all dominate for the next decade.

So a summary of the draft.

We picked up touted number 1 pick last year and the best swingman in the draft Jarrod Brander.

Larke medalist Oscar Allen,

WAFL top Goal Kicker Liam Ryan.

Best clearance player in U18 carnival in Ainsworth. Also worth noting he's only an Overager by 6 weeks.

Fastest player in the draft Petrucelle.

Also topped it off with a Bradshaw who's 2 brothers went top 3 so footys in his DNA.

Definately made our selections count so overall a great job. All have qualities that i can see making it at AFL level.

Backs - 10

Mids - 16

Fwds - 10

Rucks - 3
Vardy, Nic Nat, Lycett
And you expect to have a group of 20 blokes line up in front of the midfield coach bahaha wowww

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back