List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a fairly depressing draft when the pick i am most excited about is hamish brayshaw at 68.

Paid way, way too high a price for Liam Ryan, definitely should have taken Constable or Worpel there.

Forward thinking for our forward line in terms of taking Brander and Allen is all very well and good........but what about our immediate midfield deficiencies? Ainsworth and petrucelle are hardly walk up starters, and at this point we are all pretty much praying that Venebles can get over his injury woes and turn out to be a gun.

Its all very meh, and given we had so much invested in this years draft if we have got it wrong this could set us back a decade.

Still think Brawshaw could be an absolute steal though, i rate that guy highly.

Great draft result, well done WCE.
Everyone thinking that drafting midfeilders this year is goin to solve our midfeild woes next year are wrong. You draft for 3 years into the future, for when those picks are starting to come into their prime. What are we going to be lacking in 3 years time? At least one key forward and a key defender. We need to back our current young players to improve our midfeild next year or hit the trade period for instant results.

I'm a Dockers supporter (with Eagles my second favourite team) and I reckon you guys did great in the draft. Oscar Allen is going to be a star and you guys were fortunate to get him when you did. While I was surprised you didn't go for a midfielder at 13, I also really liked the selection of Jarod Brander who can play forward or back. As for Liam Ryan - he will be best 22 and wreak havoc.
Do you go to games with ep2006

Initial impression is abit 'meh' but I'll take it.

I dont think the early draft panned out how we hoped - no sliding mid to 13. I would probably have taken Higgins but I'm no expert. Dont mind the Brander pick as he clearly has the talent to be an elite KPP, which are very hard to find.

I also dont think pick 21 turned out as planned - i.e. Allen being there threw us and we couldnt resist. I doubt we would have taken Brander if we knew Allen would be there at 21 (isnt hindsight wonderful). As it turned out, we ended up taking two talls when we probably did not intend to take one this early.

I think the above picks were a function of how the draft panned out, I just dont think we had much luck in so far as mids falling.

Ryan at 26 seemed like abit of a panic pick. I would have preferred us to wait and see if we slid and grabbed a mid - Sproule or Constable for example. Kelly would have been ideal but he was gone (unlucky again). Really annoys me that we could have taken Ryan in the last round of the rookie draft last year and now we have to us pick 26 on him.

Ainsworth seems like an okay pick, I havent seen much of him but he sounds like he has good upside. Geez, we have been loving these vanilla 183cm mids recently. I dont know how they are supposed to compete with 190cm beats like Cripps/Fyfe etc but anyway.

Brayshaw is worth the punt. He'll be an inside bull if he makes it. Got a feeling about us trying to entice Angus over during the year may have been true. This may help that along next year if Angus has another indifferent year.

All up - I am happy enough with the result. We didnt get KOTD with a Darling but that only happens every 5yrs or so. I was just hoping we might get lucky at 13 with a slider like Stephenson :(

Pick 13 was never going to get what you really need but thought we did well , need to draft quality and Brander and Allen look talented .

Midfielders we got in Ainsworth , Petruccelli and Brayshaw are good additions , the pace of Petruccelli will help the team .

Ryan is our xfactor will be interesting how it all goes .

In fairness, we were never going to get a mid from a draft that was going to help Shue at all. Really. THey are all too young. Rookie draft maybe.
Kelly would have been one.

Why should we get over it? It's symptomatic of the way we've used the rookie list for years. Instead of actually identifying potential talent and backing ourselves in to develop that talent into a decent player we use it to take other teams recycled crap, our own recycled crap or on rubbish insurance policies (which is what Gorter was).
I agree 100%. It's a recruiters job. Gorter over Ryan or Kelly isn't great. Could have saved us a second rounder pick and we'd have a second round equivalent on this list.

This is how lists develop.

Have to get the ball to him first

Kps take longer to develop than mids.

Brander and Allen are 18 so they are three to four drafts before they will begin to peak and Kennedy retires.

When Brander and Allen start to peak so will Ainsworth, Venables, hopefully Brayshaw, Duggan, Cole plus whatever we pick up in the next two drafts.

Why is no-one here keen on Ainsworth? The kids body is solid as a rock and he's well built. Looks clever and classy. Just have to clean up that ball drop and brush him up a bit and we have a serious bit of grunt there.

Both Ainsworth and Brayshaw will be attached to Sam Mitchell's hip bone to learn off but i reckon Ainsworth will be the better player of the 2 by far.

This draft reminds me of Christmas as a kid, waiting up all night in anticipation to unwrap clothes. There is nothing wrong with clothes - it just wasn't what I hoped for!
Is Brander going to play Fwd or back?
Will O.Allen be a 3rd tall? So where do we play Darling & Waterman?
Will Liam Ryan turn up to training ?

I think the club must have read my glowing endorsements of the sneeze and decided that im right.

With a bit of time to process this ive come to the conclusion that the club has done the right thing.

We have either picked the right young players to come through in the last 4 years as mids

Or we have to start again.

Nn and kennedy will be pretty much cooked by the time this years crop are at full strength.

So we gave to back what we have drafted till now and go for broke.

Hopefully with the pace we have injected over the last few years added to the slow pace we have ditched + a fully operational nic star = 2019 glory (or bust)

Kelly would have been one.

We would have had to spend either 13 or 21 to get him and you would not do that when you have obvious key position quality available at those picks.

We would have had to spend either 13 or 21 to get him and you would not do that when you have obvious key position quality available at those picks.
I wonder if we’d have taken Brander knowing Allen would be there at 21. I don’t blame the club for taking him as best available at all, just frustrating we missed out on Tim K.

Hindsight eh. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at our ridiculously unbalanced list....

Backs - 12
Nelson, Barrass, Emac, McGov, Duggan, Yeo, Cole, Hurn, Sheppard, Schofield, Rotham, Petrucelle

Mids - 9
Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Masten, Jetta, Gaff, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw

Fwds - 14
LeCras, Kennedy, Cripps, Venables, Partington, Mutimer, Rioli, Karpany, Darling, Waterman, MAllen, Brander, OAllen, Ryan

Rucks - 3
Vardy, Nic Nat, Lycett
I rebalanced it. It was tough work though.

Backs - 10
Nelson, Barrass, Emac, McGov, Cole, Hurn, Sheppard, Schofield, Brander, Rotham

Mids - 16
Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Masten, Jetta, Gaff, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Duggan, Yeo, Petrucelle, Venables, Partington, Mutimer,

Fwds - 10
LeCras, Kennedy, Cripps, Rioli, Karpany, Darling, Waterman, MAllen, OAllen, Ryan

Rucks - 3
Vardy, Nic Nat, Lycett

Great draft result, well done WCE.
Everyone thinking that drafting midfeilders this year is goin to solve our midfeild woes next year are wrong. You draft for 3 years into the future, for when those picks are starting to come into their prime. What are we going to be lacking in 3 years time? At least one key forward and a key defender. We need to back our current young players to improve our midfeild next year or hit the trade period for instant results.

You are correct to a point. Yesterday didnt go perfectly to plan IMO but life isnt perfect and in live drafts things are fluid.

This is my take.

13. BRANDER - no probs here as 11 of the top mids had been taken already. So do we pick the 12th best mid or the 2nd highest rated tall? So intellegent choice. Only question is Higgins but with a plan to draft Kelly and Ryan later we went tall.

21. ALLEN - I think this was a surprise, we expected him to be gone and we were going for Kelly. Simply too good an opportunity to pass up. Quality KPs are what we need in 3-4 years time and we now have this covered. Drafted a lot of mids in previous drafts.

26. RYAN - I suspect we may have blinked here after Kelly was taken. We hoped for Kelly at 26 and missed out. We were hoping for Ryan at 37 but thought we can't have both mature picks gone as this would throw out our strategy. Hence we reached a bit for Ryan. Starcevich going early may have also effected this.

32. AINSWORTH - we now had no choice but focus on best available mids. We rates Ainsworth as the best available and ahead of Worpel. No real issue here given who was left.

38. PETRUCELLE - we desperately need midfield leg speed. Well this guy has it and was best still available.

68. BRAYSHAW - this pick is actually my favourite. Was injured last year and has the body size and type we need. Will his body hold up is the query and hence why he slid so far.

If we replace Kelly with Scloithe or Grigg in the rookie draft I feel we are back on track for this draft.

In the heat of the moment I ranked yesterday 5 / 10. For a short term outlook its still a 5 but over the long term I will wait until the rookie draft before I decide the final score.

Last edited:
i wouldnt. we are melting on our board over him

ainsworth is very strong in the arms and legs. he's what steele is for us. there were some key moments this year in the reserves final vs claremont at freo oval, against men, where i went WOW. this kid can match it now!!!! he stands up in tackles. he reads the play. he can extract the ball. he can go forward, lead up, mark, goal.

he wont be your high skilled outside players but he will be a very very good inside mid. he will fight and win the inside ball for you and extract it to blokes who can use it well. he's a vital player in any teams midfield

I really like some of your comments on Wce drafting and it comes across as you know what to look for when assessing talent .. cheers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This draft reminds me of Christmas as a kid, waiting up all night in anticipation to unwrap clothes. There is nothing wrong with clothes - it just wasn't what I hoped for!
Is Brander going to play Fwd or back?
Will O.Allen be a 3rd tall? So where do we play Darling & Waterman?
Will Liam Ryan turn up to training ?
4 years old. Christmas.

Every. Single. Person. Bought. Me. Clothes.

Sitting on the swing out front of grans place crying my eyes out. Mum and dad telling me off and that clothes were important and very nice presents.

Me saying to them - but they are xmas presents for YOU not ME

YOU HAVE TO BUY ME CLOTHES ANYWAY

they have just saved you buying them - and now i have no toys.

Thanks for the trigger warning shan76

So triggered.

Three U18 All-Australians including the Larke Medallist and the best clearance player in the championships (Brander, Allen and Ainsworth), the WAFL's leading goalkicker (Ryan) and the fastest player in the draft (Petruccelle). Plus a Brayshaw. On reflection, pretty happy with that!

I'm still a bit surprised we went tall with out first two picks, but I'm finding hard to argue against the picks considering who was already gone. And you can't say we haven't addressed needs too with Ainsworth and Petruccelle providing the ability to win clearances and line-breaking speed respectively. And we nabbed a genuine small forward too!

Ryan and Rioli at the feet (or on the head) of Kennedy is going to be so fun to watch. Can't wait!

4 years old. Christmas.

Every. Single. Person. Bought. Me. Clothes.

Sitting on the swing out front of grans place crying my eyes out. Mum and dad telling me off and that clothes were important and very nice presents.

Me saying to them - but they are xmas presents for YOU not ME

YOU HAVE TO BUY ME CLOTHES ANYWAY

they have just saved you buying them - and now i have no toys.

Thanks for the trigger warning shan76

So triggered.
Thank you for reliving this painful memory kranky.

The image of a four year old crying because he didn't get his toys... it's like poetry, it rhymes with a lot I've seen of the last 12 hours.

Three U18 All-Australians including the Larke Medallist and the best clearance player in the championships (Brander, Allen and Ainsworth), the WAFL's leading goalkicker (Ryan) and the fastest player in the draft (Petruccelle). Plus a Brayshaw. On reflection, pretty happy with that!

I'm still a bit surprised we went tall with out first two picks, but I'm finding hard to argue against the picks considering who was already gone. And you can't say we haven't addressed needs too with Ainsworth and Petruccelle providing the ability to win clearances and line-breaking speed respectively. And we nabbed a genuine small forward too!

Ryan and Rioli at the feet (or on the head) of Kennedy is going to be so fun to watch. Can't wait!

With our clubs history you'll be waiting til Lrcras and Cripps retire...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back