News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The club gets things wrong all the time - and they should be questioned for it - im not sure where I suggested they cant be.

I just find it amusing at times to watch the twisting of things to suit the narrative of the day or the perspective that some present.

GO Catters

But the twisting of what exactly?

Henderson? He's a good player, but I wouldn't have given up a first round pick for him.

Playing players in different positions? Some can do it, some can't. It completely wrecked Smedts' potential (injuries didn't help either), and Murdoch hasn't looked close to becoming a defender despite the club continually trying it. I would much prefer the club let players develop an ability in one position first. The number of truly versatile players we have I think is pretty small.

View attachment 460116

Hoping we don't make the 'grand final' based on that schedule.....two hour after our last game a recipe for injuries. It's on 7TWO.

From my understanding it doesn’t mean the same players from the first game will keep playing all night, that’s what the squad is for to rotate through

But the twisting of what exactly?

Henderson? He's a good player, but I wouldn't have given up a first round pick for him.

Playing players in different positions? Some can do it, some can't. It completely wrecked Smedts' potential (injuries didn't help either), and Murdoch hasn't looked close to becoming a defender despite the club continually trying it. I would much prefer the club let players develop an ability in one position first. The number of truly versatile players we have I think is pretty small.

Firstly first round pick has a variable of 18 so you can't just quote first round pick and leave it at that. Secondly how many players who are picked up from 15 to 20 do you honestly think have better careers than henderson? People get obsessed with draft picks but if you actually look at what they produce it is certainly a case of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Just for some background these are the players at the pick we traded for Hendo plus one pick before and one after taken in the drafts from 2008 to 2013. I Only went up until 2013 so the players named have have a reasonable time to establish themselves and so we can judge them somewhat fairly.

Ryan Schoemakers, Sam Blease, Luke Shuey

Jaspar pittar, Daniel Menzel, Luke Tapscott

Ben Jacobs, Shaun Attely, Matthew Watson

Tom Sheridan, Clay Smith, Brad Mckenzie

Jackson Thurlow, Josh Simpson, Brodie Grundy

Darcy Lang, Michael Apeness, Luke Dunstan

How can anyone honestly argue looking at that list, which doesn't include just one pick but three each year, that Henderson is not worth a late first round pick. It is actually a argument that just can't be supported so please please everyone on this board stop claiming that is wasn't a good move. There is two players on that entire list that either have had or will have a better career than Hendo in my humble opinion.

Firstly first round pick has a variable of 18 so you can't just quote first round pick and leave it at that. Secondly how many players who are picked up from 15 to 20 do you honestly think have better careers than henderson? People get obsessed with draft picks but if you actually look at what they produce it is certainly a case of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Just for some background these are the players at the pick we traded for Hendo plus one pick before and one after taken in the drafts from 2008 to 2013. I Only went up until 2013 so the players named have have a reasonable time to establish themselves and so we can judge them somewhat fairly.

How can anyone honestly argue looking at that list, which doesn't include just one pick but three each year, that Henderson is not worth a late first round pick. It is actually a argument that just can't be supported so please please everyone on this board stop claiming that is wasn't a good move. There is two players on that entire list that either have had or will have a better career than Hendo in my humble opinion.
Nail. Head. /endarguement

Yep. As pointed out above wells burns through first round picks so better off trading them

Round four isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. We'd play Melbourne, Hawthorn and West Coast without him then he'd be back for the game against St Kilda.

I’m just looking for are to seeing how our back line will line up round 1 without Hendo, Dom, Mack

If not ready by now never will be. Hard to see either being anything special otherwise they would've played already
You do realise our tall backs have been Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson yea? Hardly room for a Gardner. He's been biding his time at VFL level.

You can't play them all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Cats supporters if this is the wrong place I apologize. I was wondering how Cockatoo is looking? Is this the year he makes that leap? Been a fan of his since his draft year. Thanks and good luck this season.

Hello Cats supporters if this is the wrong place I apologize. I was wondering how Cockatoo is looking? Is this the year he makes that leap? Been a fan of his since his draft year. Thanks and good luck this season.

Welcome TJ..........

Cocky is looking powerful, and by all reports is doing well.

We’re hoping this is his break-out year, but we’re holding our breath because his hammies seem to be made from cotton threads.

Hopefully they’ve done plenty of rehab / strengthening work with him, and perhaps even changed his running gait to save them.

We want him to succeed obviously, but whether his body will let him is another question.

What are your thoughts on Gardner making it as an AFL footballer

Quite a few of our champion KPD have had fairly long apprenticships in the VFL. Ben Graham established himself in his third season. Ditto Scarlett, Tim McGrath fourth season. Lonergan "struggled" early before he was injured

Also they didn't have three great KPDs in the pipeline before they got their chance.

Gardner deserves a chance. He has good closing speed. A better kick the Domsy. Good overhead if he has to mark and destroys the ball with clean spoils. He reads the game well (and remember that the VFL have been average to poor in the last couple of years). The VFL defence has never been settled and the ball has come in to defence without much pressure being applied.

AFL is a big step up but Gardner deserves his shot. Must play both JLT games at FBack.

What are your thoughts on Gardner making it as an AFL footballer

Something's wrong there imo, acceleration play reading, general athleticism etc.
He's big, but possibly that's about all l think.
Him and House would've played by now if they were that great so l'm not expecting much tbh.
We should've recruited Taylor or Balta with our early picks imo not Kelly.

Something's wrong there imo, acceleration play reading, general athleticism etc.
He's big, but possibly that's about all l think.
Him and House would've played by now if they were that great so l'm not expecting much tbh.
We should've recruited Taylor or Balta with our early picks imo not Kelly.
Do you really think we would have played another tall defender last year? Kolo was already being pushed up onto a wing for significant portions of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back