2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Their training before the break has been very intense by all accounts, let hem enjoy their break. It is a long year and they have no control over the timing of the festival. The wind down might actually help them not burn out later. Give them a break.

These boys are young and rich. Lolololol worrying about the photos, you should be worrying about what goes on when the camera’s ain’t around ;).

Let em have there fun. God forbid living the lifestyles they live they need it.

Lion do you actually know how intense the AFL lifestyle is? I for one know I’d never be able to handle it. Your whole life is controlled by your club. They get a few weeks off a year let em play up and have some fun. It’s healthy

These boys are young and rich. Lolololol worrying about the photos, you should be worrying about what goes on when the camera’s ain’t around ;).

Lion do you actually know how intense the AFL lifestyle is? I for one know I’d never be able to handle it. Your whole life is controlled by your club. They get a few weeks off a year let em play up and have some fun. It’s healthy
I agree tbh.

Mental health is just as important as physical health. Benefits of living a balanced lifestyle out weight the costs.

I'm happy to have a scientific debate about the value of abstinence vs healthy moderation but it doesn't help anyone by casting moral aspersions on small amounts of photo evidence off social media. Most people curate their social media to display an image that has very little grounding in the reality of their lives.

No, no, no.
That's like saying "a woman walking in Fortitude Valley", or "Being a priest" or "I saw them at the TAB", all only mean one thing.
If camping at a music festival is what has tipped you off to a lifestyle of debauchery, then I have to stand by my initial response that you are being ridiculous.
(And still no links????)

Oh, and the Rockliffe thing, was based off information from very trusted sources and knowing who some sources were, as opposed to just some Bigfooty guy's paranoia about what's in Ben Keays' cup.

No no no... You have and had no links or evidence on Rocky, I have more evidence from their pictures on insta to back up my points than you do on rocky. Your point on this is discarded. Your credibility as a poster on BF is no better than mine. You always assume this 'prove it with links' stance but dont apply that rule to yourself. I know nothing of your trusted info, it just suited you to slander him and roll it out. Theres enough of the same hear say about a party culture exsisting at our club as their was dirt on Rocky.

A four day music festival is an enourmous test of human endurance in many ways, drinking or not drinking (although you getting into semantics about whether or not Ben is drinking booze is laughable, we all know it) it takes about a week to recover.

I dont need links or evidence to hold that opinion. If Rohbew was absolutley dogged in his attempts to earn a contract beyond this year, IMO he wouldnt be at Falls for 4 days, ending 24 hours out training resuming.

Incase you missed it, I dont need evidence or links to have that opinion, so please stop saying that.

No no no... You have and had no links or evidence on Rocky, I have more evidence from their pictures on insta to back up my points than you do on rocky. Your point on this is discarded. Your credibility as a poster on BF is no better than mine. You always assume this 'prove it with links' stance but dont apply that rule to yourself. I know nothing of your trusted info, it just suited you to slander him and roll it out. Theres enough of the same hear say about a party culture exsisting at our club as their was dirt on Rocky.

A four day music festival is an enourmous test of human endurance in many ways, drinking or not drinking (although you getting into semantics about whether or not Ben is drinking booze is laughable, we all know it) it takes about a week to recover.

I dont need links or evidence to hold that opinion. If Rohbew was absolutley dogged in his attempts to earn a contract beyond this year, IMO he wouldnt be at Falls for 4 days, ending 24 hours out training resuming.

Incase you missed it, I dont need evidence or links to have that opinion, so please stop saying that.

You're making the festival sound like going to war. Maybe it is for you, but you're literally the first person I've ever described it as such a massive task.

lioninthesand I "liked" your post, not because I agree with what you are saying about the boys etc, but your right to have an opinion, one which is not popular but you have stuck to your guns in that belief and put your thoughts across without ridiculing or putting down the posters who disagreed with you..

..pity the same could not be afforded to you.

lioninthesand I "liked" your post, not because I agree with what you are saying about the boys etc, but your right to have an opinion, one which is not popular but you have stuck to your guns in that belief and put your thoughts across without ridiculing or putting down the posters who disagreed with you..

Thanks MM - im sure their are plenty who agree, its a pretty reasonable hope as a fan for our footy club I think, that the Boys be locked in and making sacrifices (keeping in mind this is an interval break to preseason not their major break) on the eve of returning to training, most are and thats great.

Yeah narr, after posting here for several years, you know the same offenders who can't debate without ridicule - just gotter stick to your guns and not get sucked in.

I'd be more energised coming back from a four day music festival than a four day camping and fishing/hunting trip.

I don't think any of the boys are on hunting or fishing trips ATM, that too is something id prefer in the big break, not the small break in preseason for chrissy. Just my opinion though.

No, no, no.
That's like saying "a woman walking in Fortitude Valley", or "Being a priest" or "I saw them at the TAB", all only mean one thing.
If camping at a music festival is what has tipped you off to a lifestyle of debauchery, then I have to stand by my initial response that you are being ridiculous.
(And still no links????)

Oh, and the Rockliffe thing, was based off information from very trusted sources and knowing who some sources were, as opposed to just some Bigfooty guy's paranoia about what's in Ben Keays' cup.
Now if it was 2 guys and 1 cup I would be more concerned!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you've opened Pandora's box, he already believes debauchery abounds at falls festival. Now if Insta pics only give a small insight then that must mean they on the pipe and doing lines the rest of the time while skulling rum and whiskey from buckets.

957785.jpg

959871.jpg

Thanks MM - im sure their are plenty who agree, its a pretty reasonable hope as a fan for our footy club I think, that the Boys be locked in and making sacrifices (keeping in mind this is an interval break to preseason not their major break) on the eve of returning to training, most are and thats great.

Yeah narr, after posting here for several years, you know the same offenders who can't debate without ridicule - just gotter stick to your guns and not get sucked in.

The problem with your original post is that it makes a whole host of assumptions all of them negative and then utilised as the basis for your argument. Sure some of the ways its been responded to may be a bit too much but you've literally gone the whole worst case scenario.

I'll give you two examples.

1. If you were to look at my photos of christmas day i've got an alcoholic drink in my hand in each one. You'd clearly think i was boozing all day. The reality is i had 3 beers the whole of christmas day. A single snapshot in time does not tell an accurate story, nor does even 10 in a whole day.

2. I have a friend who is at falls festival. He's staying in a private house that has cost him several thousands of dollars just south of byron and drives to the festival each day. He barely drinks and is a vegetarian (vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options are all catered for at the festival). He's also been up every morning having a surf while he's been there and a beach run.

I think the issue is you have a certain pre conceived idea about what going to a festival actually means and the facilities that are there, and while it probably was true when i went to my first one (Vans Warped tour 99) the reality in this day and age is very very different, especially when you choose to do so.

They may be staying in a house away from the site, they may be staying in a rv or campervan, they may be camping, however none of those (nor going to a festival) means that they're getting continually pissed, eating absolute crap and not maintaining their exercise programs and making statement based off the assumption that this is the activity they're doing is not only wrong but pretty poor.

I agree with Lioninthesand's sentiment (that we really want our kids to be going about things professionally, and taking things seriously, and not using a short Christmas break as an opportunity to reverse the gains of the pre-season to date). I know a few people go down for specific days, see specific bands, and then come back. Hopefully that's the go here.

It's a tough one. How tight a rein do you keep, if you're the club? Kids will be kids, and we can't expect them to be perfect, but have to allow them outlets to let their hair down and enjoy themselves. In the end, I hope our players are acting reasonably and professionally, and while photos of them looking like they're out on the piss aren't reassuring, the club employs welfare officers for a reason. Gotta give the club and the kids the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Keays has been going so hard at training and being so disciplined that Fagan and co might have encouraged him to do what he needs to do to relax. The season is a marathon, definitely not a sprint.

I asked for links or for you to post the offending image that got you riled, so there was some context to what you were on about, because I still have no idea. Why would I have needed to provide links on Rocky? There were none. Nor did I make any big accusations (that I recall). What I did do was agree with others and supported their stance, based on what I'd also heard (as did quite a few others) from various sources. And here's the thing, "trust" and "belief" is dependent on the poster, and you're right that I have no more credibility than you so you don't have to believe what I say, but to call a few photos with tents in the background at 'Falls', "evidence" of anything you've insinuated is laughable.

This is really some of the dumbest assertions I've read. A 4 day festival is whatever you make of it. You could sleep for 12 hours of the day and spend the rest of your time relaxing in a comfy chair, enjoying the music in the background while having a laugh in the company of your friends. It doesn't have to be a drug/booze fueled marathon of head banging.
And what do you mean "whether or not Ben is drinking booze is laughable, we all know it"? No, we don't. You don't. Shit, he's got a cup, how unprofessional. Get a grip.
You can hold whatever opinion you want, I'm not stopping you, but I too am entitled to my opinion that your opinion is more than a little ridiculous and your rationale for that opinion just doesn't stand up.

Still holding a grudge MM? ;)

I understand that I can come across quite blunt, even rude. Please notice though, I don't respond to everyone like that. I respond in the manner of which I feel a post deserves, whether it is something I consider offensive (sexist, racist etc) or just ridiculously illogical. It's true, I don't feel a need to discuss everything in a polite, diplomatic tone.
For the record, I didn't make any personal attacks, but did make it clear, what I thought of the assertions being made.

As I commented already, the notion that everyone is entitled to an opinion is fine, but posting/voicing an opinion is open to counter opinion and or debate. Others may have felt it worthwhile to take a softer approach in discussing the virtues of time out from training, I simply didn't get that far. Whether they should be holidaying or working out in the gym is irrelevant when the assumption/assertion has been made that because a player has a cup in his hand he must be a party animal and another is too old be camping for 4 days. Further to that, apparently camping at a music festival automatically compels attendees to party all day and night. I mean, that's a ridiculous assertion to make, and so I said so.

I agree with Lioninthesand's sentiment (that we really want our kids to be going about things professionally, and taking things seriously, and not using a short Christmas break as an opportunity to reverse the gains of the pre-season to date). I know a few people go down for specific days, see specific bands, and then come back. Hopefully that's the go here.

It's a tough one. How tight a rein do you keep, if you're the club? Kids will be kids, and we can't expect them to be perfect, but have to allow them outlets to let their hair down and enjoy themselves. In the end, I hope our players are acting reasonably and professionally, and while photos of them looking like they're out on the piss aren't reassuring, the club employs welfare officers for a reason. Gotta give the club and the kids the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.
Honestly, they all look disgustingly sober in every photo I've seen.
A single photo on any given day, with a drink in hand is not something to concern ourselves with.

The problem with your original post is that it makes a whole host of assumptions all of them negative and then utilised as the basis for your argument. Sure some of the ways its been responded to may be a bit too much but you've literally gone the whole worst case scenario.

I'll give you two examples.

1. If you were to look at my photos of christmas day i've got an alcoholic drink in my hand in each one. You'd clearly think i was boozing all day. The reality is i had 3 beers the whole of christmas day. A single snapshot in time does not tell an accurate story, nor does even 10 in a whole day.

2. I have a friend who is at falls festival. He's staying in a private house that has cost him several thousands of dollars just south of byron and drives to the festival each day. He barely drinks and is a vegetarian (vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options are all catered for at the festival). He's also been up every morning having a surf while he's been there and a beach run.

I think the issue is you have a certain pre conceived idea about what going to a festival actually means and the facilities that are there, and while it probably was true when i went to my first one (Vans Warped tour 99) the reality in this day and age is very very different, especially when you choose to do so.

They may be staying in a house away from the site, they may be staying in a rv or campervan, they may be camping, however none of those (nor going to a festival) means that they're getting continually pissed, eating absolute crap and not maintaining their exercise programs and making statement based off the assumption that this is the activity they're doing is not only wrong but pretty poor.
That's what I said.:cool:

Still holding a grudge MM? ;)

I understand that I can come across quite blunt, even rude. Please notice though, I don't respond to everyone like that. I respond in the manner of which I feel a post deserves, whether it is something I consider offensive (sexist, racist etc) or just ridiculously illogical. It's true, I don't feel a need to discuss everything in a polite, diplomatic tone.
For the record, I didn't make any personal attacks, but did make it clear, what I thought of the assertions being made.

As I commented already, the notion that everyone is entitled to an opinion is fine, but posting/voicing an opinion is open to counter opinion and or debate. Others may have felt it worthwhile to take a softer approach in discussing the virtues of time out from training, I simply didn't get that far. Whether they should be holidaying or working out in the gym is irrelevant when the assumption/assertion has been made that because a player has a cup in his hand he must be a party animal and another is too old be camping for 4 days. Further to that, apparently camping at a music festival automatically compels attendees to party all day and night. I mean, that's a ridiculous assertion to make, and so I said so.
bruh I never said he's too old... taking things out of context and I made my point earlier that I was unaware of the event he went to. I thought it was some sort of rave not a camping trip.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back