2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is it just isn't Green and pick 6. GWS would like pick 3 so that they can bid on a player other than Green and then when Green is named at 4 or 5 by Adelaide or Sydney they use picks 40 ,59,60,80 and go into deficit in 2020 for him. We would be helping them get 2 picks in the top 4/5. Madness.
Exactly! F*** that! It's allowing GWS to pick up 2 gun kids in the top 5. Why would we do that?? We'd be bloody stupid to. Especially seeing GWS first pick next year could be in the 20s. Unless they are going to cough up a very good player, it's a huge no..

Exactly! F*** that! It's allowing GWS to pick up 2 gun kids in the top 5. Why would we do that?? We'd be bloody stupid to. Especially seeing GWS first pick next year could be in the 20s. Unless they are going to cough up a very good player, it's a huge no..
Which they cant cough up a player. Yeah **** em no doubt the player which we should take at 3 will be gone at 6 thensame could happen at 8. If we take Weightman at 8 ill ****ing lose it another player under 180 is not what we need i dont give a **** how high the lil campaigner can jump

I'm happy to move back to 6 and get a 1st round 2020 pick if we are extremely confident that the player we would have taken at 3 will be available at 6.

But I do think GWS are going to be in prime position to be reamed here, so I would ask for 2020 1st and 2nd, and send our 2020 3rd back to them as well, perhaps?

Yeah i agree i dont want to lose 3 now i would have for 6 next year 1st and a player but not now. With 8 though if Kemp and Ash are gone i wouldnt mind shifting back a few picks to get Gould or 1 of the small forwards mentioned i really like Sharp as well. No way would i use a top 10 pick on a small forward unless they were lightning quick and kick goals out of their ass which theres none. Maybe go back in the draft to Ports or Brisbanes first 2 picks.

Yeah i have cooled on Weightman, i feel like we should look for a small forward elsewhere.

I'm happy to move back to 6 and get a 1st round 2020 pick if we are extremely confident that the player we would have taken at 3 will be available at 6.

But I do think GWS are going to be in prime position to be reamed here, so I would ask for 2020 1st and 2nd, and send our 2020 3rd back to them as well, perhaps?
AFL would have to sign off on this because you can't trade both your future first and second unless you have another club's pick in the first two rounds there, which I don't believe GWS have.

Yeah maybe 40 instead of that 2nd next year cause need to be in 1 of the first 2 rounds but even that isnt worth risking losing who we wanted at 3

Keep in mind if we do switch 6 for 3, we don't have 6 and 8, we'd have 7 and 9 after Adelaide / Sydney nominate Green at 4 or 5. Means we don't get the pick of the rest of the bunch, and means the one guy we want at 8 could be gone at 9.

Keep in mind if we do switch 6 for 3, we don't have 6 and 8, we'd have 7 and 9 after Adelaide / Sydney nominate Green at 4 or 5. Means we don't get the pick of the rest of the bunch, and means the one guy we want at 8 could be gone at 9.
Yep. Trading 3 for 6 ironically devalues 8 as well.

Under that scenario, if as forecast GWS finish top 4 in 2020 it’s still only around pick 20 and pick 35 we’d be getting off them in exchange for allowing them access to an extra pick in the top 5 this year. Plus we have to drop from 3 to 6, potentially missing out on a star. It’s just not enough, not even close. I can’t see a deal being done that will satisfy us. Player trading is over for the year, so a quality player from GWS can’t be involved. I’d say it’s 90% sure at this stage we’ll be taking 3 & 8 to the draft. We should also bid on Green so that GWS have to take him at their pick. We don’t owe them any favours.

I can't see how GWS can satisfy us in a trade for pick 3, even if you add change in draft picks onto 6 + next years first (which basically will be 20-25) it won't cut it. Picks 3-12 seems the real sweet spot for talent that isn't rowell and anderson in this years draft, The only way I can see us trading 3 is if we can land 2 picks in this range. The onus is on GWS to come up with a way to get another pick in this range, but as mentioned I can't see it happening due to their lack of appealing draft picks.

The only trade I would look at would be 3 for 7+10 from Freo. Freo would consider this because a bid for their academy kid Henry could come before 10 which if they can't trade up that pick to move in front of the bid they might be stuck with taking Henry and pick 7 instead Henry, pick 7, pick 10; so why not have access to more talent at pick 3 instead of pick 7.

I'd be very happy with just keeping our picks and drafting Young at 3, Kemp at 8. If we split the pick with GWS or Freo we take Ash at 6/7 which is a small downgrade from Young, Kemp at 8, Weightman at 10/if GWS can nab a pick where he will be available. Kemp is a must if he's there at 8, he can play inside mid, outside mid, half back, half forward, deep forward, back pocket, key position; literally everywhere where he is an extremely classy player, has excellent pace and tackles well. In my opinion he projects as an even better prospect than anderson with his ability to take contested pack marks.

At the moment, I wouldn’t be too upset if we just took Greene at 3 ourselves.

Any combo ofYoung, Serong, Greene and Kemp will do me just fine.
100% have to bid on Greene. Young at 3 and Kemp at 8 thanks. Can't let Kemp slip past 8. Young seems to be the standout pick at 3, and Kemp was the standout at pick 3 before doing his acl. If we can get both those kids, that would be huge..

I can't see how GWS can satisfy us in a trade for pick 3, even if you add change in draft picks onto 6 + next years first (which basically will be 20-25) it won't cut it. Picks 3-12 seems the real sweet spot for talent that isn't rowell and anderson in this years draft, The only way I can see us trading 3 is if we can land 2 picks in this range. The onus is on GWS to come up with a way to get another pick in this range, but as mentioned I can't see it happening due to their lack of appealing draft picks.

The only trade I would look at would be 3 for 7+10 from Freo. Freo would consider this because a bid for their academy kid Henry could come before 10 which if they can't trade up that pick to move in front of the bid they might be stuck with taking Henry and pick 7 instead Henry, pick 7, pick 10; so why not have access to more talent at pick 3 instead of pick 7.

I'd be very happy with just keeping our picks and drafting Young at 3, Kemp at 8. If we split the pick with GWS or Freo we take Ash at 6/7 which is a small downgrade from Young, Kemp at 8, Weightman at 10/if GWS can nab a pick where he will be available. Kemp is a must if he's there at 8, he can play inside mid, outside mid, half back, half forward, deep forward, back pocket, key position; literally everywhere where he is an extremely classy player, has excellent pace and tackles well. In my opinion he projects as an even better prospect than anderson with his ability to take contested pack marks.
I agree on Kemp looking better long term than Anderson. I'll be filthy if he's available at 8 and we pass on him..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not our responsibility to stop GWS from strengthening their list on behalf of the competition - it's our job to do whatever is best for us, no matter what.

That being said, I concede it looks hard to find a trade to satisfy us - would have needed to be done with a player during Trade Week IMO.

Freo trade interests me for sure...

I have no idea about the draftees other than what i have read recently.

But to me it seems as if Ash & Kemp would be the two best to suit our needs

IMO Young >>> Ash. Bigger body makes him a direct replacement for Hibbo. With footskills like Young has he doesn't need to break lines with speed.

If Kemp is off the table at pick 8 taking both Young and Ash could be an option. Young played further up the ground in some his games for Dandenong and did some damage from the wing.

I still think Weightman is a decent option at 8. Wont be melting as hard as others if we take him. Watched a fair bit of the Stingrays and the kid is a star.

IMO Young >>> Ash. Bigger body makes him a direct replacement for Hibbo. With footskills like Young has he doesn't need to break lines with speed.

If Kemp is off the table at pick 8 taking both Young and Ash could be an option. Young played further up the ground in some his games for Dandenong and did some damage from the wing.

I still think Weightman is a decent option at 8. Wont be melting as hard as others if we take him. Watched a fair bit of the Stingrays and the kid is a star.
do we need acreplacement for Hibberd with hopefully Hore and Lever fit?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

We will in a few years. Hibbo is 29.

We will in a few years. Hibbo is 29.
And too be fair could find himself out of the team next year. I would be happy with Hore stepping into his role

And too be fair could find himself out of the team next year. I would be happy with Hore stepping into his role

Young is a different player to Hore.

Hore is more of the pick up a man and read the ball better than them and then hit a team mate with a safe kick type of player and I agree has a place in our 22.

For Young I'm thinking more of the role Hibbo played in his AA year, where he was everywhere, ground ball gets, run and carry, intercepting and really damaging with the ball in all areas of the ground.

Last edited:

Agreed, Hore slots straight in for Hibberd. Should happen next season, if Hibberd goes around again like he did in 2019.

Hore is more of the pick up a man and read the ball better than them and then hit a team mate with a safe kick type of player and I agree has a place in our 22.

For Young I'm thinking more of the role Hibbo played in his AA year, where he was everywhere, ground ball gets, run and carry, intercepting and really damaging with the ball in all areas of the ground.

Yeah like I said my knowledge on the new draftees is very basic

Yeah like I said my knowledge on the new draftees is very basic

Yeah I've only seen bits and pieces of most of them. Just the Dandenong boys I've seen a fair bit of.

Looks very good doesn't he? Would be very happy drafting him. Only issue is he seems very one sided.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Back