CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Here's a thread for discussion about the 2019 AA team.

Seven of our players have been named in the All Australian squad, which is the most of any team in the squad:
* Elliot Yeo
* Shannon Hurn
* Luke Shuey
* Jeremy McGovern
* Brad Sheppard
* Andrew Gaff
* Jack Darling

Out of our players, I reckon Yeo, Sheppard, McGovern and Darling will definitely make the squad, while Shuey and Hurn are chances. Hopefully Luke makes the final 22, though.

I don't know what it is but I just can't differentiate between any of their chances. Each player deserves a spot in the 40 but you could find an excuse to leave any of them out. By the same token I would not be surprised any of them made it.

Yeo would probably be my first choice given he would probably be leading the B & F while Gaff might be the last choice due to the start of his season but other than that it should be a good thing to watch the final jumper presentation

I'd be surprised if we get 4. Disappointing that Hurn's form has just dropped off in the last month and it'll cost him another jersey probably. Would love to see Shep getting rewarded with his stellar year.

Well done Darling, has kicked equal third most goals for a key forward along with Tom Lynch.

Interesting that Lynch isn’t in the squad while Hawkins is.

Eagles in the AA Squad

Sheppard feels like the most worthy as he has played shut down roles as well as provided great rebound from HBF. Sheppard with Grimes and Stewart would be my general defenders. Hurn only played 19 games so missed 3 which hurts.

McGovern has been at times inconsistent and trying to be objective, I see Talia and Andrews having better years. If we are selecting a third tall defender, I'd go Blicavs and only go 1 ruck.

If they are going true wingers, then only Gaff, McCluggae and Macrae have played that role so Gaff has a decent chance. Macrae has played more inside (like Gaff) but McCluggage has got 22 goals from the wing so will be interesting. A tight call. I would probably not include Gaff as teh other 2 have greater hurt factors.

The inside mids are tough to get into. I would personally pick Yeo as he is the man of any position and leads the midfield tackle count meaning he is one of the few AA listed that can play accountable midfield. Fyfe, Treloar, Neale and Cunnington would have to be locks. Shuey had some brilliant quarters but like a number of Eagles, too often went cold for a quarter or so.

Darling has had a great year and will be a close call. J Cameron and Brown are locks and assuming only 1 ruck (I'd go Grundie), Jack's forward rucking might be enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If treloar or Cunnington make it over shuey 😂. Shuey should be a lock, is coming 5th in the aflca.

Yeo & Shep the only ones that make it in the final team for me. The others too inconsitent
That

Was thinking 7 got into the squad predominately based on last year.

Darling is in the squad over two years but i dont think will make the final cut.

Yeo and shep fully deserve it

Honestly I think the closest thing to a lock is Shep. He has been superb all season. He seems to fly under the radar outside of WA though so I'm not confident even in his spot, but fingers crossed because IMO he has dominated his position about as well as anyone in the league.

22 places available, and 18 teams worth of candidates. That's not a lot of wiggle room for inconsistency. They will probably find a spot for another Eagle but I'd be surprised if we got more than 2 in the side.

Hurn was killing it and looking like AA Captain until the injury :mad:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2019 All Australian Team - Hurn, Yeo, Darling and Gov Named

Remove this Banner Ad

Back