Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really really don't want us to trade out our first pick next year. It could very well be a top 5 pick.

Some people are more bullish about our prospects next year, but given our age profile, our ladder slide from 4th to 9th to 15th and with the lack of young prospects on our list coming through I'm the opposite.

I think things will get worse before they get better sadly. There is nothing worse then having a bad season on top of knowing that you have traded out your top pick in the draft. That feeling would be god awful.

Next years draft is a strong one, so we really need to protect our top pick at all costs unless we get a god offer.

I'm more flexible with trading out our future 2nd rd or 3rd rd pick (ideally) next year and upgrading our 2nd pick this year so we can grab someone we want before the Downie bid.

Maybe I’m too optimistic but we won’t be top 5 bad if we remain a healthy list. The hub and draw really screwed us over this year. I still wouldn’t trade our first next year to a top 10 pick that will push out. Like I said the talent in the first round is a lot better then the talent in this draft after 5, also too risky with the compromised draft this is.

Maybe I’m too optimistic but we won’t be top 5 bad if we remain a healthy list. The hub and draw really screwed us over this year. I still wouldn’t trade our first next year to a top 10 pick that will push out. Like I said the talent in the first round is a lot better then the talent in this draft after 5, also too risky with the compromised draft this is.

If we were fielding the same team heading into next season that we started with this season then I'd agree with you.

However we've had so much experience in Ben Stratton, Isaac Smith, James Frawley, Paul Puopolo and Ricky Henderson all leave and we were already appearing to be on the decline.

I think next season will be a little more painful to watch than this one, however if we draft right both this year and next, combined with a couple of FA or trade targets then I think we'll be back up and contending in no time.

I guess only time will tell 🤞

I think when teams move from year to year, people tend to forget to take take into account that players get slightly worse (slower, more injury prone, reduced output etc) when they are in the 28+ age bracket. There are always some exceptions to this rule though, as some players can defy the gravity of age.

I for one didn't realize that Stratton, would be so bad this season.

I know Day generated much needed excitement on this forum, lets hope our pick 4, Downie and whoever else we grab can do the same for us next year

I think when teams move from year to year, people tend to forget to take take into account that players get slightly worse (slower, more injury prone, reduced output etc) when they are in the 28+ age bracket. There are always some exceptions to this rule though, as some players can defy the gravity of age.

I for one didn't realize that Stratton, would be so bad this season.

I know Day generated much needed excitement on this forum, lets hope our pick 4, Downie and whoever else we grab can do the same for us next year
Mitchell got better after 28.

They might get slower, but I'm not sure there is evidence of being injury prone.

With age comes experience though, so they make up for it in other ways.

Mitchell got better after 28.

They might get slower, but I'm not sure there is evidence of being injury prone.

With age comes experience though, so they make up for it in other ways.
Yeah there are definitely some are exceptions. Burgoyne is another one who defied the gravity of age.

On the other hand some players can fall off a cliff a lot faster too.

Lots of variables, as a general rule players do get more injury prone when they are in 28+ age bracket. However I will say that the Hawthorn fitness staff do a sterling job at defying this as well.

This is all not so bad when you have enough young talent coming through that develop and get better quickly to offset this.

Tbh I like the more optimistic you, provides much better insight and in general is a better read!

I agree, I'm not convinced that we will be a bottom five team next year- in fact I think we'll be frustratingly mid table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I like the more optimistic you, provides much better insight and in general is a better read!

I agree, I'm not convinced that we will be a bottom five team next year- in fact I think we'll be frustratingly mid table.
Interesting point of view. What's driving this improvement for next year? Keep in mind that we have lost a lot of talent with recent retirements on top of Sicily's ACL. Just interested in hearing your thoughts

Could North go Hollands instead of McDonald? Are we putting too much weight on them picking McDonald because they traded Brown

Could North go Hollands instead of McDonald? Are we putting too much weight on them picking McDonald because they traded Brown
McDonald can play Round 1 next year. He's playing well already against men in the WAFL.

Think that puts him ahead of Hollands regardless of the Ben Brown trade

For me there’s no reason to trade next years first.

Though this draft has a clear top 5, the talent available next year looks way above what is available this year. Others might disagree but I feel this draft will be a weaker one (with a few diamonds late due to COVID).

Even if we could get one of the top 5 for next years first I wouldn’t do it. Not worth it I feel. Even for Phillips (who I want badly). Too many question marks on the top talent this year to pull the trigger. As for outside of that there’ll be better talent with a lot more certainty next year.
So the premise of you argument that you have put forward is that you rate some of the next season 18s as17 year olds ( not all due to Vic's and covid) more than basing your judgement on viewing all of the 17 year olds ( Vic's included) from last year.
Short of waiting and watching all the top age players next season this point of view seems askew to me.
See you are saying a limited view of this seasons 17s is better than a full view of last seasons 17s.

Yeah I find it pretty strange Carlton interviews Holland’s twice, they traded their only first round pick for saad, would be difficult to get into the top 5 I would have thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back