Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scully was one of the best kids I've seen. Still remember him racking up 40 touches in a game at the Dees in his first year. Back then, I thought he'd end up a multiple Brownlow winner.
Clearly the injuries have eroded his confidence in his footy. A real shame.
Seemed the Crawford/Cousins type. Even won a lot of contested footy both in U18s and first season with Melbourne. Hard to get your head around watching him skirt contests for us.

As well as the injuries he might be an example of a super professional U18 whose professionalism separated him at that level but it doesn’t give the same edge at AFL. It’s the opposite of some of the high “upside” kids - the ones who have their shit together early but therefore have less scope for improvement. Luke Ball another like that. He was so advanced in his preparation etc at U18 unlike Hodgey who was busy smashing beers (or Jobe Watson in his own school team - superior natural talent but unprofessional at that stage). But it meant there wasn’t as much scope for improvement within the professional system so Ball never improved after about his third season

Is Phillips at risk of this?

Last edited:
Yet Scully and Trengove went before him.
Because there was no Dusty to compare him to. That's the problem with being the player that draws comparison, there's no one from before you could say "well he's the next X" to get him over the top as Pick 1.

The issue with Dusty was that he was the best player in the draft but you'd never see him as the mature, well studied kid who'd lead the club and front the media.
What is also forgotten/ignored was that Trengove had been playing at a good standard at senior level in the SANFL for 18 months prior to being drafted.

What is also forgotten/ignored was that Trengove had been playing at a good standard at senior level in the SANFL for 18 months prior to being drafted.
more often than not clubs make the correct selection at the time, then once they step in the door it can go many different ways

more often than not clubs make the correct selection at the time, then once they step in the door it can go many different ways
True. And not trying to derail the topic, but Toumpas was in a similar situation. The common denominator appears to be the Demons.

yea he didnt like Day last year and even this year didnt think Day was that good until he got a Rising Star Nom, not everyone gets everything right.

from knightmare on july 10th 2020, "It was a typical Day game. Don't notice him without doing anything wrong. I was surprised in checking the stats to see he had 10d+. It seemed like Day had Atu most of the game? One Day starts influencing games against recognised established players I'll be singing his praises."

i was surprised because i thought Day and Atu had good debut games.

also most other Draft Watches had Day late first to early 2nd round, just to make sure you get your facts straight

Yeh knightmare has definetly lost his way abit when rating players he contradicts himself alot . Pretty Obvious across the board dgb is rated alot higher then Fischer mcasay was and he rated fischer at 6 and Denver at 15 , no doubt when cal releases his final couple phantom and rankings knightmare will follow suit .

True. And not trying to derail the topic, but Toumpas was in a similar situation. The common denominator appears to be the Demons.
Toumpas had just dominated a SANFL seniors GF as well, and captained the SA team. Problem was, even when he went to Port, he was just as bad. Same as Jack Watts. Ben Kennedy, another from that draft that dominated the junior leagues. JOR. The list goes on.

Reality is, some simply cannot make the step up. Happens every year.

Toumpas had just dominated a SANFL seniors GF as well, and captained the SA team. Problem was, even when he went to Port, he was just as bad. Same as Jack Watts. Ben Kennedy, another from that draft that dominated the junior leagues. JOR. The list goes on.

Reality is, some simply cannot make the step up. Happens every year.

I feel like there's a fairly decent correlation with most of the blokes you mentioned there.

Toumpas, Trengove, Kennedy, Watts. All played for a certain red and blue team.

Last edited:
Recruiting is step one in the process. Developmental programs and club culture can make or break a young player.
Brett Deledio could’ve have been one of the absolute greats with the attributes he had as a junior.
I saw him tear Goulburn Valley games apart as a 16yr old.

It’s a credit to him that he was as good as he was in a club that failed to develop so many youngsters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think Downie won’t get bid on inside the top 30?
It’s possible when there are clubs who will take maybe 1-2 players. Could mean that bidding is somewhat redundant in trying to pull picks forward.

Does anyone think Downie won’t get bid on inside the top 30?

A lot of the phantom drafts have him being bid on 30+ which is obviously good for us. Anything could happen on draft day but if Downie only ends up costing us one third round pick it would be an amazing result. Taking Pick 4, 24, Downie then taking a punt on two players in the 40s would be a good draft haul.

I'm very excited about the picks in the 40s because I think there will be some kids from Vic who will slip that could have pushed up the draft order without COVID. Nail a few of these picks and the rebuild suddenly looks significantly more promising.

This. Not knocking the bloke because he clearly has a passion for it and invests a lot of time to create great fodder. But sometimes his ideas are pretty bananas. I mean he has probably the most irrational hard one for Jack Lukosious on planet earth. Said if he were to build an AFL side today from scratch, he would take him over any other player in the AFL :joycat:. I would take his analysis of Perkins with a big grain of salt. If anything his flop potential is a carbon copy of Aidan Bonar (now @ NMFC - looks like Tarzan plays like Jane) and he isn't that much like Petracca tbh (way better tank and skinny powerful, no thunder thighs like Christain P).

Like I have said before, Twomey is the only one you can somewhat take to the bank because he is the definition of a draft ITK. Also, I have found the draft central website is great.

Agreed. I do think Perkins has the skill ceiling of a Nat Fyfe (given his frame and background can see him filling out significantly and becoming very powerful) but I think Bonar is a really good comparison for his skill floor. I assume if we take him early it's because we believe had football continued this year he would have elevated himself to the next level. Surely we'd only do it if DGB/Hollands aren't available though and even then taking him over Phillips would be a big call.

Agreed. I do think Perkins has the skill ceiling of a Nat Fyfe (given his frame and background can see him filling out significantly and becoming very powerful) but I think Bonar is a really good comparison for his skill floor. I assume if we take him early it's because we believe had football continued this year he would have elevated himself to the next level. Surely we'd only do it if DGB/Hollands aren't available though and even then taking him over Phillips would be a big call.
Perkins has already put the size on. Looks ready to go.

I posted the Perkins highlights vid a few months back in here, and at that point I hoped to grab him in the early teens, but if his stocks are rising and others are taken at our pick I will be pleased if we grab him. Looks to have real xfactor and is a dynamic type who can get in and out of the contest and deliver long.

just what we need to add to our midfield.

Is the Bonar floor example/comparison a reasonable one? Did Aiden ever show the pace and class at junior level that Perkins has? Genuine question because I wasn't following the draftees then. Bonar just looks like a well built inside mid who hadn't adapted to senior footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back