Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty rapt with the draft, DGB has Grown on me, I hope he can put on some muscle and be a lockdown intercepter. Next years draft has a stronger mid pool, so we’ll be all over that. Tyler and Mitchell the new cyril and poppy duo!

I’m pretty chuffed with this draft. Took an elite marking key position player with 6. Picked up two lightning high-impact small forwards. Matched a Downie bid later than expected. Our selections all attempt to address glaring deficiencies in our list. And in addition to this we improved our draft hand for the supposed superdraft next year.

There are also some very exciting players still available to us in the rookie draft that would be the cherry on top: Heath, Carrigan, Ginnivan, Callow, Kolar, Maher & Trew would all be attractive options although knowing us we’ll go for another smokey.

My only concern is that we didn’t really address our midfield but next years’ draft is so stacked for midfielders that I’m not overly worried.
Add this haul with day and finn and a colid hand in the draft next year hopefully our future is looking bright!

Don't know if it has been said but by Christ $ydney got a sweet ride with frigging North not making them choose between McDonald and Campbell. I guess that's what you get from being on the AFL drip.

Sit boo boo, now roll over, good dog.
Risky play from north if they get stuck with there 2nd option but im glad our club held the swans to account by putting in a bid.

Thats some night right there, got everything we wanted it seems and picked up an extra 2 decent picks for next year, particulary pick 20 :p from collingwood
Would be very interested to know if the club would have taken DBG or McDonald if they were both still available. Most likely never know that one.. Interested also to know how we use DGB when Sic is back.. They seem to play a similar role.. I’d love for DGB to do an Aaron Naughton and convert to forward as his marking is as good as it gets..
Liked us adding speed.. We look pedestrian at times.. If our quick additions can adjust to the pace of the game at AFL level & encourage us to be more attacking and use speed as a weapon which seems to be where the game is trending then we are on the right track.
Biggest take away for me is the northern academies need to be reined in just as the NGA academies are in thr process of being..A team shouldn’t have access to two top 5 picks for the price of one just to run an academy.. Access to NGA and northern academies needs to be post first two rounds.. The top of the draft needs to be uncompromised and fair for all... Do away with NGA, top end free agency compo, three hours of BS bidding and the draft is doing what it should be doing.. Until then it’s just a tool for manipulation and ensuring the AFLs favourites are being looked after..
Anyways good on hawks for a good draft.

Super pumped that we got DGB, he has all the attributes that we need and is truly elite as a tall in more than one category. The kid is as driven as all get-out too,. I almost feel like this aspect of a potential A-grader's toolkit is undersold, just because their natural talents overshadow it. The drive is far more evident on a high level scrapper, because it's mostly that drive that gets them drafted.

But DGB potentially has Brian Lake like hands and on-field judgement, along with far more reliable and educated footskills, even now. If this proves true at AFL level, this is happy days for us. The speed and transitional smarts are are already at a high level as well.

I hope we can get his upper body size to catch up to his the lad's leg development.

Smitchell and the kid with the pr0n star name are super smart pick-ups for us too. I read Brockman's bio, and was impressed early on. But that absolutely elite sub 2.9 second 20m sprint and the agility that Smitchell brings makes him as good a proposition as we could hope to get given our needs the the speculative nature of this draft.

Both those guys could wind up with midfield minutes too. And the speed that they bring, along with the bulk and kicking of Downie seem like a good haul, despite the lack of focus on the two smalls (180/181) we grabbed.

It would be nice to be more familiar with those last two. But then I have a feeling there was a touch of the Clinton Young's about Poulter, and we were already picking up a taller, long kicking left footed mid in Downie.

So, who are we looking to pick up in today’s rookie draft? A positional need, or is there still an element of best player available?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is just a media run circus now, all clubs would have been told to run down the clock to at least a minute and a half with all early selections. So obvious when they go to interview last player selected with 2-3 mins on clock for next team every time. As bad as the fu**in Brownlow.

just a shame the clowns running the show didn’t have anything to say to fill the dead air.

I think this kid is a big Hawthorn fan, he'd be itching for us to take him.

Thoughts on our draft haul Davo-27 ?

I can vouch for that, his whole family are all die hard hawks, all gold members and sat next to us for a few years before they reshuffled our section to kennedy club. They would do the weekly drive from bendigo to melbourne. Back then he was just a 8 year old playing school footy!

300+ pages of debate and not one mention of Seamus Mitchell before 10pm last night. LOL
Give this board a little credit mate. Every 2-3 pages you will find someone stating that I'd like such an such player but in true Hawthorn fashion you just know we'll go with someone left field that no one has heard of. That my friend is us mentioning Seamus 😂

Pick 4 in the rookie draft tomorrow, can we snare Jackson Callow (rated 20 in Knightmare's phantom draft) or Jack Ginnivan (26).

Also watch out for
Sam Fisher (37)
Zavier Maher (39)
Jackson Cardilo (40)
Max Pescud (42)
Kaine Baldwin (43)
Zane Trew (47)
What time does it start?

Both those guys could wind up with midfield minutes too.
I think this is important. Did we roll any of the youngsters through the middle this year? We would regularly put Bruest/Poppy/Cyril into centre square for something different.

They've done well. Great draft. Addressed some pressing needs. Pretty strong draft hand next year too!

Very happy.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

It really is something not too many of us are mentioning. The fact that we added a 2021 2nd rounder is awesome. Really well played by Wrighty and Co last night 👏

What's the opinion on this pick swap we did with the pies?

We swap a couple of 40's for a couple of 60s plus a next year second. So basically pushing a late 40's pick to next year and breaking the other into 2 60's?

We weren't planning on using those 2 40's picks? Or the 60's picks were better for bid matching?

I guess I'm asking "Did we do good here?"

Perhaps it made minimal difference at to who we selected, or at least to the overall quality of the player we landed. Can’t complain about DGB, seems like a rock solid selection. I’m glad we try to win and send off the champs and skipper in the right way.
It was almost a changing of the guard with that send off win for Stratts and Poppy. Rather than tank we sent them off the right way and in turn our draft hand allowed us to add their replacements. DGB for Stratts and either Mitchell / Brockman for Poppy. Good karma 👍

Last edited:
Can someone tell me where this “pick 20” next year from Collingwood is coming from! Or is it just there second rounder next year and we are hoping it’s pick 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back