2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

From now on can we please stop having Gunston and Breust being put up for trade? It’s the same story every off-season since 2015 with the same result. THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN LEAVING! 🤣
I think this post should be pinned to the top of every page in 2021's FA thread. ;)

From now on can we please stop having Gunston and Breust being put up for trade? It’s the same story every off-season since 2015 with the same result. THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN LEAVING! 🤣
As long as everyone on here realise that they won’t be the same players they are for ever and when they do drop off in form don’t come at them like everyone has with the likes of Statton when he dropped off!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as everyone on here realise that they won’t be the same players they are for ever and when they do drop off in form don’t come at them like everyone has with the likes of Statton when he dropped off!!!

Maybe Breust will drop off one day soon..

But Gunston on the other hand who is very likely to be our captain from 2021 and beyond is on another level, he is a true professional and looks to me like he's only getting better, Gunston's consistency especially in what was a difficult year for the hawks, with his 31 goal tally meant he took out third place in the Coleman Medal and joined an elite group in the Hawthorn history books, finishing the season as the club’s leading goal kicker for a third time in his career 2015, 2016 and 2020.

Seriously speaking i can see all the right ingredients in Gunston, his durability, strong work ethic, consistency and footy smarts will have him still be playing good footy for the hawks in his late 30s and overtake Burgoyne's and Michael Tuck's games record and become an undoubtedly one of the finest players of his generation, and perhaps one of the many true greats of the Hawthorn football club.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Maybe Breust will drop off one day soon..

But Gunston on the other hand who is very likely to be our captain from 2021 and beyond is on another level, he is a true professional and looks to me like he's only getting better, Gunston's consistency especially in what was a difficult year for the hawks, with his 31 goal tally meant he took out third place in the Coleman Medal and joined an elite group in the Hawthorn history books, finishing the season as the club’s leading goal kicker for a third time in his career 2015, 2016 and 2020.

Seriously speaking i can see all the right ingredients in Gunston, his durability, work right consistency and footy smarts will have him still be playing good footy for the hawks in his late 30s and overtake Burgoyne's and Michael Tuck's games record and become an undoubtedly one of the finest players of his generation, and perhaps one of the very few true greats of the Hawthorn football club.
Just my opinion.
Ummm ‘very few true greats’? Sorry to pull you up on this comment but the HFC have more than just a few true great players.

Ummm ‘very few true greats’? Sorry to pull you up on this comment but the HFC have more than just a few true great players.

My apologies
It was a bit of a technicality.
There have been many greats that have played for the HFC, but some have achieved legendary status, not only for our footy club but for the game itself.
True??

My apologies
It was a bit of a technicality.
There have been many greats that have played for the HFC, but some have achieved legendary status, not only for our footy club but for the game itself.
True??
Yeah I guess you are kinda right. We’ve had some legends, absolute legends and some once in a generation type legends. We’ve definitely been spoilt.

I don't blame the Dons as Dunkley isn't worth two picks inside 8, they'll just head to the draft with 3 top 8 picks now which really isn't a bad thing for them.

I think it’s ordinary form, you don’t entice contracted players and get them to nominate your club and publicly request to be traded without a commitment you will get it done... and you know very well beforehand you will need to pay up to get that deal done, just like the year before when you refused to deal Daniher for 2x1st rd picks FFS.

Stop pissfarting around trying to screw every deal, go and split one of those picks and get the deal done.

I think it’s ordinary form, you don’t entice contracted players and get them to nominate your club and publicly request to be traded without a commitment you will get it done... and you know very well beforehand you will need to pay up to get that deal done, just like the year before when you refused to deal Daniher for 2x1st rd picks FFS.

Stop pissfarting around trying to screw every deal, go and split one of those picks and get the deal done.
I agree, could easily have gone after the Lions picks that Melbourne ended up with, using the 2nd they put up.

i don't believe continually overpaying for players in trades is a grade strategy in trades eg us with Jaeger and Wingard and look how deplorable our list currently is.

1 top 10 pick and a future 2nd round pick is an adequate offer for Dunkley IMO.

People say doing the right thing getting deals done at what ever cost makes you look good as a brand once a player commits to you, but I we've done that and I don't see Free Agents jumping through hoops to join us.

i don't believe continually overpaying for players in trades is a grade strategy in trades eg us with Jaeger and Wingard and look how deplorable our list currently is.

1 top 10 pick and a future 2nd round pick is an adequate offer for Dunkley IMO.

People say doing the right thing getting deals done at what ever cost makes you look good as a brand once a player commits to you, but I we've done that and I don't see Free Agents jumping through hoops to join us.

While this is true what Essendon did perplexes me.

They sought Dunkley out knowing he was contracted.
They offered him big money, midfield minutes and even the promise of playing with his brother.
They got Dunkley to commit to them.
Then they weren't willing to engage with the Bulldogs when they wanted two first round picks for the contracted player??? Did they think the Bulldogs were going to let him go with no fuss?

Essendon may benefit from keeping their early picks but it was incredibly amateurish.

Shit on Geelong's average age/draft position all you want. They took a very good team and added the best tall forward, one of the best half forwards and a very good wing to their 22. And honestly, pick 15 and pick 20 (will be 18 and 24 with half the talent not playing this year) for Essendon and GWS's 2021 seconds isn't a big downgrade. The deal is much closer to 2 mid-late firsts for Cameron on balance, if not better.

They went in with a list strategy and they executed it.

They're also a good candidate to trade out 24 if a Downie bid comes, for Essendon's second next year.

Would like to see some of the list changes that need to be done at the dogs. Will need to cut 3 players in order to have their 3 draft picks be valid to pick up their draft prospect.

Suckling will be gone. I assume they can drop a fringe and then rookie them and let 1 other fringe go.

I dont think they are concerned given they get pick 1 for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back