2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to see some of the list changes that need to be done at the dogs. Will need to cut 3 players in order to have their 3 draft picks be valid to pick up their draft prospect.

Looks like it will be reduced to 1 or 2 players in the draft. Cats only have 2 picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it will be reduced to 1 or 2 players in the draft. Cats only have 2 picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a seperate issue.

A change that was brought in for academy/FS bidding is that you can't match a bid with more picks than you have list spots open. So even if you have 10 picks with points attached to them, if you only have 3 senior list spots open, you can only use 3 picks to match a bid.

That was brought in to stop clubs stockpiling late picks they would never otherwise use to match bids.

So if the dogs want to use 5 picks to match a JUH bid, they need 5 senior list spots open, regardless of the number of mandatory picks each club takes to the draft coming down.

So with only 33 contracted player and 5 still unsigned it's going to be really interesting to see how spots we decide too fill through the drafts and DFA. It's going to be interesting to see who gets cut from other clubs so we can see who is worthy of us maybe picking up as a DFA. Really hope we can manage to get a small pressure forward late in the draft and also as a DFA. It would go a long way to easing the burden on Gunston and Breust.

So with only 33 contracted player and 5 still unsigned it's going to be really interesting to see how spots we decide too fill through the drafts and DFA. It's going to be interesting to see who gets cut from other clubs so we can see who is worthy of us maybe picking up as a DFA. Really hope we can manage to get a small pressure forward late in the draft and also as a DFA. It would go a long way to easing the burden on Gunston and Breust.

I'm hoping for Matt Parker honestly. Just offers something we don't have up forward.

Then take 3 or 4 picks in the draft.

I don't blame the Dons as Dunkley isn't worth two picks inside 8, they'll just head to the draft with 3 top 8 picks now which really isn't a bad thing for them.

No this is very bad for them. Dodo's track record with first rounders is laughable.

i don't believe continually overpaying for players in trades is a grade strategy in trades eg us with Jaeger and Wingard and look how deplorable our list currently is.

1 top 10 pick and a future 2nd round pick is an adequate offer for Dunkley IMO.

People say doing the right thing getting deals done at what ever cost makes you look good as a brand once a player commits to you, but I we've done that and I don't see Free Agents jumping through hoops to join us.

I respectfully disagree. You can’t ask for and receive pick 8 for Saad, then seek out and convince a very good mid to nominate you and only offer that. He could’ve got creative like split one of those firsts for 2 later firsts and given up 2 firsts that way.

If Dunkley nominated us and we didn’t get it done I’d be disappointed.

i don't believe continually overpaying for players in trades is a grade strategy in trades eg us with Jaeger and Wingard and look how deplorable our list currently is.

1 top 10 pick and a future 2nd round pick is an adequate offer for Dunkley IMO.

People say doing the right thing getting deals done at what ever cost makes you look good as a brand once a player commits to you, but I we've done that and I don't see Free Agents jumping through hoops to join us.
Yeah there’s no way Dunkley is worth 2 top 8 picks. Dons did well to not cave in, would of been huge overs.

We’ve got pick 4, 24 and three picks in the 40’s and pick 72. I guess how many we draft depends on the final list sizes. If we only plan on drafting 3 players then I hope this is the move:

1. Trade 24 and 45 to move further up the draft order, that would be number 1 priority. A late first round pick would be fair based on draft points.
2. Picks 46 and 49 can be used to match a bid for Downie which would secure him from the low 20’s once the discount is factored in I believe.
3. Trade out 72 and whatever’s left (if anything is left) from the Downie match for a future 4th to improve our draft hand next year.
4. If by some miracle Downie does not receive a bid until later and our match only absorbs pick 46, then we should also trade 49 to next year given the high probability next years draft will have decent prospects quite late.

That leaves us pick 4, a late first rounder, Downie and potentially an improved draft hand next year which seems to be what most hawks fans are wanting for the draft period.

Yeah there’s no way Dunkley is worth 2 top 8 picks. Dons did well to not cave in, would of been huge overs.

Absolutely. I love the fact they got taken to the deadline but would’ve been stupid giving up 2 picks that early for Dunkley.
You’ve got a chance to bring in 3 really good young kids in succession (and just look at what that has done for Fremantle in the space of 12 months)

Absolutely. I love the fact they got taken to the deadline but would’ve been stupid giving up 2 picks that early for Dunkley.
You’ve got a chance to bring in 3 really good young kids in succession (and just look at what that has done for Fremantle in the space of 12 months)

Probably be pushed out to 10+ in a compromised draft by the time bids happen, not sure it's in the same realm as Freo having pick 3 and 5 in a regular draft.

Probably be pushed out to 10+ in a compromised draft by the time bids happen, not sure it's in the same realm as Freo having pick 3 and 5 in a regular draft.

Most likely. I still like the idea of holding onto those picks in a row. You really don’t get the chance to do it very often and the upside can be huge for the teams it does go right for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy with how this trade period has turned out so far.

Has a real "Hawthorn" feel about it.

Future 4th rounder for Hartigan, a serviceable key defender who fills a need with some scope to be more than just serviceable

Pick 60-something for Phillips, a serviceable to decent 24yo winger who's already had 80+ games of AFL experience and fills another need.

In a perfect world I'd also have us trade something like a pick 49 and a future 3rd rounder or something like that for Willie Rioli.

OUT: Future 4th rounder, Pick 65, Pick 49 and Future 3rd rounder

IN: Hartigan (Key defender), Phillips (Winger), Rioli (Small forward).

Filling 3 crucial roles with 4 low draft picks would be such a hawthorn thing to do.

Future 4th rounder for Hartigan, a serviceable key defender who fills a need with some scope to be more than just serviceable

Pick 60-something for Phillips, a serviceable to decent 24yo winger who's already had 80+ games of AFL experience and fills another need.

In a perfect world I'd also have us trade something like a pick 49 and a future 3rd rounder or something like that for Willie Rioli.

Filling 3 crucial roles with 4 low draft picks would be such a hawthorn thing to do.
Rioli?
Did I miss something?

The handbaggers may have picked up a great goal kicker, but they still have quite a few passengers on field... They are the ones who usually cost you games. And as you point out, their depth wont grow so well.

If I hear we Hawks are too old next year but the cats are primed for long term success I will spew up-

Hendo 33
Hawkins 33
Selwood 33
Smith 32
Higgins 33
Danger 31
Tuohy 31

If I hear we Hawks are too old next year but the cats are primed for long term success I will spew up-

Hendo 33
Hawkins 33
Selwood 33
Smith 32
Higgins 33
Danger 31
Tuohy 31
Plus at the start of next year:

Steven 31
Blicavs 30
Stanley 30
Duncan 29
Rohan 29
Guthrie 28
Menegola 28
Dalhaus 28

They're very close to the cliff. They better hope to win it either next year or 2022 at best, because they'll be struggling for quite a while after that.

If anything, I think Essendon's list (taking into account 2MP, Caldwell and picks 6, 7 and 8) is looking much stronger.

Not sure about the rioli move, but agree that I'm pleased with our trade period, not just the money ball pick ups we did, but also the trade we DIDN'T do.

Treloar must have been tempting, but even with the Pies paying a portion of his salary that's a long and risky contract, given his age and his reliance on burst speed. Similarly, I'm glad we kept Gunston.

I like that we've picked up a couple of very cheap players, kept our picks and retained salary for free agent's. That flexibility is critical, given how hard it is to get an accurate read on our form from last year. If we are bottom 4 again then it might be time to try to maximise draft asserts, if we're a little better than expected, free agency targets could be pursued..

Hendo 33
Hawkins 33
Selwood 33
Smith 32
Higgins 33
Danger 31
Tuohy 31

That Hawks are too old chorus won't stop until Silk retires. Or should I say if Silk ever retires 😂

Cats_too-old.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back