2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome. Surely with a good tank already Finn is locked in for Rd 1! Did he get some touches?
As you will note from this thread Hartung won the time trial one year. Doesn't guarantee anything when a ball is bounced.

One thing I am taking from reports since the end of last year is an evolution of player load management.
Not revolution of course, we and others have always watched closely and moved players through rehab cautiously, re-entered them to the playing group carefully.

But just reading how players are doing super super super tailored programs, not just time away for injury, not just boxing, but doing very specified amounts of different work to manipulate their physical wellness....Im thinking the boys from Glenferrie have gone to a new level.

And I'm loving it.
Finding small improvements, finding innovation, it's bloody difficult in pro sports. But I think we may be on to something new here, that of course can get blown apart by unforseen calamitous injuries, but will leave all available soldiers at their possible best.

Also, how about news of Finn's athleticism being suspect - being suspect!
Sure, chortle at draft measurements.
How about stone cold amongst your hardened pro teammates?
Pity the fools who want to question whether he is a gun in the making.

Last edited:
Everyone commenting that Scully would have won had he competed - that's not a guarantee.

Scully's freakishness comes from the ability he has to sustain that level of effort over genuinely long periods. In terms of running, 2km isn't that far.

Try not to forget that Smith consistently beat the bloke who had the draft Beep Test record by a significant margin, 5 levels above the previous record holder (who he also beat consistently, Hill).

Finn is no chump either, considering in his draft combine he was 10 seconds in front of the guy who just won Sydney's time trial and only 1 second behind the guy who won Collingwood's. Rantall and Maginness in particular had to edge out 2 of the top runners in the competition in Phillips and Smith respectively. Neither had lost one for years.

Last edited:
Everyone commenting that Scully would have won had he competed - that's not a guarantee.

Scully's freakishness comes from the ability he has to sustain that level of effort over genuinely long periods. In terms of running 2km isn't that far.

Try not to forget that Smith consistently beat the bloke who had the draft Beep Test record by a significant margin, 5 levels above the previous record holder (who he also beat consistently, Hill).

Finn is no chump either, considering in his draft combine he was 10 seconds in front of the guy who just won Sydney's time trial and only 1 second behind the guy who won Collingwood's. Rantall and Maginness in particular had to edge out 2 of the top runners in the competition in Phillips and Smith respectively. Neither had lost one for years.
Believe me when I tell you that Scully would have won had he competed

Very excited by the Day reports. He looks like a pure footballer. A lot will say he’s to light to play well look at Jayden Stephenson, slotted straight in.
I don’t expect Day to play early but if he’s routinely in the best at BHH then I don’t see why he won’t be in the side at some stage in 2020.

Believe me when I tell you that Scully would have won had he competed

Why? Based on what?

Taking into account his only timed run U18 player, running 9:26 he wouldn't have even set the Draft Combine record for the 3km.

I have no doubt that Scully is an absolute freak, but I'm not convinced he would beat Maginness or Smith when they're not a huge amount behind Mark Blicavs who almost qualified for the Olympics over 1500m.

Scully would dominate if they were asked to run ad nauseam, but over 2km it's not a guarantee.

Huge training session today which had an intra and ended with the time trial which we all know Finn won. Scully didn't participate. Some how i feel Scully didn't because the coaches didn't want to dishearten the rest lol. It was a long session 2.5 hours before the time trial.

The rehabbers
Howe, Wingard, Cuz, Morris , CJ, moore and scrimshaw (For most of the session)

Scrimshaw and moore played the first 10 minutes of the intra before going off to run

They did the regular warm up before a 15 minute qtr. It was the orange v blues. Orange team had the best 22 midfield vs mitchell, finn, jones etc. Orange also had the number1 forwards v blue with number 1 defenders barring i think sic anyways 10 seconds in and TOB had marked in the forward line of a Jaegar center break Our play wasn't as clean as it has been this summer. A few turnovers especially kicking the ball inside 50 Mitchell made quite a few errors but he will play round 1 IMO barring any setbacks. Day will be something once again finding himself in the right place showed real courage as the pack bore down on him didn't take the mark but didn't flinch either.

The orange team won the qtr 4 goals to 1. With one of the goals being a strong wrestling mark by Patton. The only goal for the blue side was kicked by ross. Burgoyne had two shots on goal for 2 points one of them hitting the post.

After the 15 minutes i think the coaches reassessed and wanted to do some more drills to smooth over some of the issue of the qtr. Speaking of Day The one piece of play that stood out during the drills is day takes a mark on the defensive 50 and sees Finn on the wing kicks it to him with i think Henderson on his tail half a meter behind him Finn marks without breaking stride at full tilt and kicks into the forward line. Pure footy pr0n right there. One other thing i have noticed is the catch cry James fu**in Sicily. Someone has yelled that out in quite a few sessions and it happened again today
One drill as it was kicked in Breust led Sic to the ball as they chased sic nudged breust out of the way dived on the ball agile as ever bounced back up ran and handpassed it away to sheils which was followed by someone yelling out James fu**in Sicily. This just puts into perspective the fact that Jeka has beaten him more than once in one on one contests. The boy is still hot and cold as in he can beat Sicily then drop a sitter 10 minutes later.

They had another half ground intra for 8 minutes going across the ground it was more about skills than anything else.

Stand out players were the usual suspects and to be honest you don't get gain much by singling out stuff in these things. However i will make an exception here we had Darcy Cassar play the intra while Minch watched on and he wouldn't be happy because Darcy got his hand on it a lot playing off half back has good pace needs refinement on his disposal

After about two hours of that they broke off into running. The players that impressed me with their running Finn of course this even before the time trial where they were doing 200m sprints. Another that has impressed me since xmas and kudos to him has been Walker he has come back much fitter. Poor old day was cooked and didn't do any of the running.

Apart from that i can honestly say it was great Wednesday for yours trully.
Brilliant report TFP. Thanks. Much to be excited about.

Why? Based on what?

Taking into account his only timed run U18 player, running 9:26 he wouldn't have even set the Draft Combine record for the 3km.

I have no doubt that Scully is an absolute freak, but I'm not convinced he would beat Maginness or Smith when they're not a huge amount behind Mark Blicavs who almost qualified for the Olympics over 1500m.

Scully would dominate if they were asked to run ad nauseam, but over 2km it's not a guarantee.
Based on watching him at training this year and last and based on the fact that he dominated GWS time trials and finally based on his kms run every game. He is a running machine. He is quick across the ground and he doesn't stop running. I am bit of a structures man. Watching it out on field comes easy to me. Watching Scully run and run and run has me convinced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on watching him at training this year and last and based on the fact that he dominated GWS time trials and finally based on his kms run every game. He is a running machine. He is quick across the ground and he doesn't stop running. I am bit of a structures man. Watching it out on field comes easy to me. Watching Scully run and run and run has me convinced

I'm not doubting his endurance, I agree he's easily the best gut runner. I'm just saying that 2km isn't a long enough distance to give Scully an obvious advantage.

I find his response in this video to be even more impressive than the feat it's about. It would be completely understandable for a competitive kid, new to the club he loves, who just won the trial dominated by a champion of our club to indulge in some of the glory of the moment and pump himself up a little in what has probably been a good step towards earning a R1 debut.

Instead he shows genuine humility and huge respect to Smith and the other leaders. As well as highlighting the efforts of others. He's not about proving himself to his teammates just by outperforming them. He's about learning as much as he can from them and showing respect to the team by giving his best efforts.

Definitely future captain material, but Worpel shows the exact same attitude and mindset.

Love that Mitch Lewis came 3rd in the 11x200m sprints. Great for a big man
the time trial 'measure' is more media beat up than anything else. repeat sprints is the best measure for impact on an afl game and jom/lewis smashing this is easily the best news out of the day (for me anyways).

See.... really important that you notice that I didn't judge.
I said I wonder... where his head is at. Which has been for quite a while. Wonder. Perhaps he has reached his natural ceiling. But his inconsistency frustrates a lot of Hawks supporters.

Perhaps it is harsh. But it is a question... a qeustion of where his ceiling is at... that a lot of Hawks supporters have been asking each other since the 3peat. And a lot of Hawk supporters been hopintg for more after 2019
Smith has been one of the most consistent players during our 3peat. He is getting, i'd guess we've seen his ceiling, he is not a 2nd or 3rd year player and he was a mature ager when we got him. Honestly, an odd one to single out. His voice and leadership is always noted by those that get to training and watch. I doubt he is going to take his game to 'the next level' as his level is already one of the best wingmen of the last 10 years and one of the best i've seen since Robbie Flower. Pretty bloody hard level to take to the next

Does anyone know the rest period between the 11x200's?

I remember doing 10x200 with 40 second rests back when I played in a stronger league. I finished the 9th one and kept running straight off the track into the rooms because I'd gut run so hard I was about to sheeeeit myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back