2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he was. Chad will be a massive part of our improvement this season.

Will be a game changer in the middle. Abasi, myself and that nice Port fan (whose name defeats me) have pointed out multiple times that when he was moved to the midfield at Port he averaged 25 possies, 0.9 goals and over 5 tackles per game.

Some of the little things he does is simply phenomenal; the 1% frenetic efforts that causes the opponents to hack a kick, the almost 360 degree field of vision, the sublime skills in contested situations, the cleanliness around packs, etc.

I really hope Clarko unleashes him in the midfield this year and we will see what an incredible player he is.

He's the kind of player that you want to pay good money to go and watch, like Franklin and Rioli. And with Worpel, Mitchell and Jaeger doing the heavy lifting he will be a huge point of difference in the middle for us.

Will be a game changer in the middle. Abasi, myself and that nice Port fan (whose name defeats me) have pointed out multiple times that when he was moved to the midfield at Port he averaged 25 possies, 0.9 goals and over 5 tackles per game.

Some of the little things he does is simply phenomenal; the 1% frenetic efforts that causes the opponents to hack a kick, the almost 360 degree field of vision, the sublime skills in contested situations, the cleanliness around packs, etc.

I really hope Clarko unleashes him in the midfield this year and we will see what an incredible player he is.

He's the kind of player that you want to pay good money to go and watch, like Franklin and Rioli. And with Worpel, Mitchell and Jaeger doing the heavy lifting he will be a huge point of difference in the middle for us.

Chad is a freak, i can't wait to see him and Jaeger on the outside at full flight feeding off the silver platter service from Mitch&Worps!
All this talk of lacking a small fwd is bs!! We have the best in L.Bruest with the 3 talls Patton,Lewis,Tob plus Gunston in our fwd line, pencil him in for 45+ roving at there feet.
He was double teamed and man handled last yr sometimes being our solo deep target.

Hopefully guys like Walker,Jezka& Hanrahan can come on and the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Chad is a freak i can't wait to see him and Jaeger on the outaide at full flight feeding off the silver platter service from Mitch&Worps.
All this talk of lacking a small fwd is bs!! We have the best in L.Bruest with 3 talls Patton,Lewis,Tob plus Gunston in our fwd line pencil him in for 45+ roving at there feet. He was double teamed and man handled last yr sometimes being our solo deep target.

Hopefully Walker,Jezka,Hanarahan come on and the sky is the limit.
Burgoyne, Poppy and Nash will also play fwd.

Thanks for your posts Rusty and Axeman. There was a lot to like in the session which went for over 2 hours in the extreme heat. I didn't sight
Burgoyne, Gunston, Kosi or Morris. Scully started in the 'rehab' group before joining in with the main group.
Darcy Cassar continues to press for the final place on the list. He has a strong body for an 18 year old and has good balance. In the match simulations
he seems to read the play well and link with his team mates. I think Darcy's shown enough to earn a rookie spot before the 2020 draft.
Some areas of improvements I've noticed have been as follows:
Isaac Smith has been taking some strong overhead marks in front of his opponent.
Harry Jones has improved his disposal by foot and looks stronger. He is hitting more targets so he's obviously working hard on his skills. His courage
and work rate are first class.
Jackson Ross continues to impress with his hard running to get to contests and the drop of the ball. He is stronger with his marking and has improved
his endurance. His disposal by foot and decision making is very good.
Some other observations:
Tom Mitchell's kicking hitting long targets was elite. He was probably assisted by a 5 metre breeze however it was great to see the balance and power
following his broken leg.
Harry Pepper runs hard to pick up and pressure opponents. I liked his team first defensive work in the NAB Champs. He's working hard and was last
to leave the field.
Jonathan Patton is a beast and his mobility has surprised me. He is a very strong mark and his kicking for goal is elite.
Blake Hardwick stood out with ability to lock down his opponent, win the ball and calmly pick the best option. He is a very underrated player
by opposition supporters and I think he will improve.
Liam Shiels is very reliable and never misses a beat. Another very underrated contributor.
Michael Hartley has fitted in very well and hasn't missed a beat. His closing speed to spoil, intercept marking and kicking have been very good.
Based on his performance at training it would be easy to consider him a lock for round 1.

Thanks for your posts Rusty and Axeman. There was a lot to like in the session which went for over 2 hours in the extreme heat. I didn't sight
Burgoyne, Gunston, Kosi or Morris. Scully started in the 'rehab' group before joining in with the main group.
Darcy Cassar continues to press for the final place on the list. He has a strong body for an 18 year old and has good balance. In the match simulations
he seems to read the play well and link with his team mates. I think Darcy's shown enough to earn a rookie spot before the 2020 draft.
Some areas of improvements I've noticed have been as follows:
Isaac Smith has been taking some strong overhead marks in front of his opponent.
Harry Jones has improved his disposal by foot and looks stronger. He is hitting more targets so he's obviously working hard on his skills. His courage
and work rate are first class.
Jackson Ross continues to impress with his hard running to get to contests and the drop of the ball. He is stronger with his marking and has improved
his endurance. His disposal by foot and decision making is very good.
Some other observations:
Tom Mitchell's kicking hitting long targets was elite. He was probably assisted by a 5 metre breeze however it was great to see the balance and power
following his broken leg.
Harry Pepper runs hard to pick up and pressure opponents. I liked his team first defensive work in the NAB Champs. He's working hard and was last
to leave the field.
Jonathan Patton is a beast and his mobility has surprised me. He is a very strong mark and his kicking for goal is elite.
Blake Hardwick stood out with ability to lock down his opponent, win the ball and calmly pick the best option. He is a very underrated player
by opposition supporters and I think he will improve.
Liam Shiels is very reliable and never misses a beat. Another very underrated contributor.
Michael Hartley has fitted in very well and hasn't missed a beat. His closing speed to spoil, intercept marking and kicking have been very good.
Based on his performance at training it would be easy to consider him a lock for round 1.

Is it a battle between Frost and Hartley, or do they bring different things? If it’s a battle, who is winning?

Very much loving the great work by all with the write ups guys. Cheers!
One player I do have to ask about Stratton’s preseason. Where is he at? He has always been fit... how did he go in the 2km?
Is he having an impact in the match sim?
Is he being the “organiser” for the defence?
How is his speed in contested work?

I have bagged the captain in the past & will take a more moderate view when posting so as to not offend anyone.

What will Stratton offer the best 22 this season with the likes of Frost, Hartley, Scrimshaw all looking like getting games?

Clarke and his coaches have some interesting and varied new ‘tools’ to employ this season. It’s going to be exciting to see it all develop.

plenty of height, speed and endurance added to the team, of course you can’t play them all at once.

* Harry Jones was scintillating. ..........Jones looks to be ready for a crack at AFL. He would be first in line for a call up I reckon.

* It is crazy how much Finn Maguiness looks like he belongs out there.

* Jackson Ross was again playing as a wingman, pushing forward and kicking goals.

Enormous. It's what we need, a couple mids to come from the clouds so that waves of quality can wear down the oppo teams.

Exciting. Damn it, could it be MORE exciting?

Interesting. For me, kind of a Harry Morry M2 but with greater running ability and marking size. Also has nouse in spades and will drift forward with a shnozz for the goals. I think the kid has a future, you?

Enormous. It's what we need, a couple mids to come from the clouds so that waves of quality can wear down the oppo teams.

Exciting. Damn it, could it be MORE exciting?

Interesting. For me, kind of a Harry Morry M2 but with greater running ability and marking size. Also has nouse in spades and will drift forward with a shnozz for the goals. I think the kid has a future, you?

We already have four high quality mids in Shiels, JOM, extractor V2.0 and Worpel. If either of Jones or SM come along, that's already a big enough nucleus to be thinking we're almost ready to make an assault. If both the others come on, we're thereabouts. TOB, Lewis, Patton, Nash, Breust, Gunston is a nightmare for any defence if Pattons stays on his feet. It's formidable even without him, but massive if he's there. If they can play effectively together, a defender or two steps up, we'll be more than thereabouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We literally have no one else to play in this role.

Hanrahan? Doesn't work close to hard enough for an AFL footballer.

there are not many of these players going around and we were blessed to have 2 in cyril and poppy for a long time, which then influenced Richmond and now people are crediting Richmond for inventing the small pressure forward because the media couldnt bare giving HFC/Clarko any more credit.

either way we only have poppy on our list that can play this role and he isnt as sharp as he once was as a pressure forward, we have not even drafted or traded for a player of this ilk, unless you count Wingard, in which he is more valuable as a midfielder as we found out late last year.

Is it a battle between Frost and Hartley, or do they bring different things? If it’s a battle, who is winning?
I feel 2 of them and Frawley will play. I imagine that frawley will start getting pressure on him this year and in 2021 will need to retire. Kosi will hopefully be pressuring Hartley and Frost by then.

Hey crytpor, I had some time to kill and so did some research on Darcy Cassar. There was quite a bit to be found and so I put it in an new thread: 2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts
It is all just cut and paste stuff.
I hope this helps.
Thanks, good stuff! Looks like the two major knocks on him is his consistency and inside work. Assuming we sign him with an outside role in mind then consistency is probably something that can be improved quickly with some good coaching. Could see him as cover for Impey.

Tbh, atm, Poppy is the stand-alone small-pressure-forward, but a player like Nash may fill the need... to a degree.
Why not use Finn as a pressure forward? He is fast, has endurance for repeat efforts, has an AFL physique, as an inside-mid is used to tackling, and if the ball pops out, has great hands for goal assists.

I actually think the happiest person on our list atm is Poppy, last year he was almost playing the main target in so many games. This year it will be such a different story and pops will be licking his lips at the thought of being the forgotten one that will lead to space and crumb with limited attention. By all reports he is killing preseason and we all know the little man is not going to hand over his position to a young pipsqueak without a massive fight. I can't wait to see him rip it up this year!!

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back