2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really like it, jeez the Viney at M4 call takes some balls but he looked really good. That back line is just dreamy.

Could easily be Sel/Brodie/Wingard etc. if it doesn't pan out, but he looked really annoyed and apparently that's the way he's approached pre-season this year and having his captaincy taken away - like he's got something to prove. Two massive scores during Marsh means I reckon he at least goes 90, which is worth it at that price.

This is the first time where I've been like 'oh my god I love the look of my team' and can't stop staring at it, haha. Laird taking the place of Cerra has just brought it all into place. Having all of the good rooks on the bench and on field, makes me happy too. It feels like a good balance with plenty of upside. As long as everyone plays, I am really excited to see what this team can do now! :)

How i am looking post Marsh. Pretty happy with it at the moment, midfield is just about set and i can't see myself moving anyone on barring injury. Steven and Macpherson have just been added to my forward line but i like how it looks with both of them in it. Backline my main concern at this stage and need to find a D6 as i don't think Gould is going to get named.

View attachment 836606

Forwards and mids are ridiculously good. Reckon Brander probably plays, so he could substitute for Gould. Valente, North and Cameron won't play, so just keep that in mind. Also, if you've got Anderson and Sharp, might as well put Pickett on field and take 100K from Anderson to drop him down to a T. Brown/Budarick etc. type. Aside from your D6 though (which your midfield more than makes up for), love it!

Last edited:

I'm currently rocking this complete pile of ..............

View attachment 836621

Don't mind it. Fun midfield. Would probs reconsider Hughes (disposal is quite crap so he's more a lockdown medium defender) and maybe Gawn over Grundy (although that's an interesting way to get one up on the template. Rolling the dice a little on Walters' role in a new look Freo side but at worst he'll still probably be 50-50 Mid/Forward so probably won't go too badly regardless.

I hope two 170k defenders get named cause I've got Starcevich at D6 too. Really don't want to have to upgrade a 170ker to Ash/someone around that price range.

What I'm rocking at the moment. Not too keen on brander on the field and some rookies may not play but there's a little bit of cash/things I can do to work around this team. Also if Jacobs comes out firing I can drop ROB to him and pocket a bit of cash but if ROB comes out firing then I won't have to worry about rucks.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 11.31.35 pm.png

well im pretty happy with my team. Got 3 players on my bench taht arent 170k so should there be some surprise selections next week ill have a bit of cash to move rooks around. Really hoping that a couple of surprise 170k rookies do get named cos i hate having 200k+ rookies riding the bench.

My team below:
- 11 keepers
- 2 speculative picks (Brayshaw/Petracca)
- 1 defensive fwd pick (Ceglar to cover Naismith and likely last upgrade) and
- a few expensive rookies (Naismith, Cummings (hehe)).

Have $160K in the bank to amend prior to round 1. Eg upgrade Brander > Robertson, D.Mac (pls don’t suck) > DSmith/Dusty.

Feels a bit light on the Uber premium space (Whitfield/macrae/Lloyd), but there’s some statistics that show that an Uber premo will always have one or two bad game and drop in price through the year. Obviously some exceptions to the rules (ie Titch/Grundy), but this has almost always held true.

Keep in mind, I’m mainly focusing on league, so I might take a hit early on with the points generation, but will finish up like a freight train with the large amount of cash generation / value picks.

A85A5695-FE42-4F06-B389-7F1DE742FA74.jpeg 9B4F0807-AA4A-4DC4-9FA7-C03256CCFB53.jpeg A8F5E3DF-DEFA-4657-B2FE-632F30DCD942.jpeg

Last edited:
My team below:
- 11 keepers
- 2 speculative picks (Brayshaw/Petracca)
- 1 defensive fwd pick (Ceglar to cover Naismith and likely last upgrade) and
- a few expensive rookies (Naismith, Cummings (hehe)).

Still have $160K in the bank so still have some room to amend my team. Eg upgrade Brander > Robertson, D.Mac (pls don’t suck) > DSmith/Dusty.

Feels a bit light on the Uber premium space (Whitfield/macrae/Lloyd), But I trade by the rules that an Uber premo will always have one or two bad game and drop in price through the year. Obviously some exceptions to the rules (ie Titch/Grundy), but this has almost always held true. Keep in mind, I’m mainly focusing on league, so I’ll take a hit early on with the points generation, but will finish up like a freight train with the large amount of cash generation / value picks.

View attachment 836656View attachment 836657View attachment 836658

xerri on field - your brave

Phew, tough all around, but finally done after weeks of BS. Hately out and Brayshaw into the mids, allows Ceglar into the forward line essentially replacing English, and Laird replacing Cerra. Such a slog but ready for Round 1 now and really happy with my side :)

Finished product (Watson becomes B. Williams, with Xerri/De Koning into the ruck if he doesn't play, but most Freo peeps seem to think he will at this stage):

View attachment 836602View attachment 836603
I've got 17 of your starting 22...a very similar team to mine. Out of curiosity how much cash are you sitting on? 95k here.

Where do we stand on McCluggage? I’ve been sitting on him all-preseason, what does he realistically average? Is the points jump high enough or should I find the $$ to get him up to Merrett/Cogs ? I think he will be an excellent SuperCoach player, but alas we are playing Fantasy. An Average of ~100?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team is completely unrecognisable to what it was two weeks ago. Bit the bullet with naismith, I think it is hard not to take the risk with Ceglar who seems like will go 85+. Loving the complete diversity this year however. Taylor appears to be a godsend. Petracca terrifies me.

B. Smith, Houston, Docherty, Roberton, Madgen, Brander (Starcevich, Williams)

Macrae, Bontempelli, Neale, Coniglio, Mitchell, Rowell, Green, Pickett (T. Brown, Budarick)

Grundy, Naismith (Cameron)

Whitfield, Greenwood, Petracca, Ceglar, Brayshaw, Taylor (Rankine, King) (Sturt)

Where do we stand on McCluggage? I’ve been sitting on him all-preseason, what does he realistically average? Is the points jump high enough or should I find the $$ to get him up to Merrett/Cogs ? I think he will be an excellent SuperCoach player, but alas we are playing Fantasy. An Average of ~100?
He has never been on my radar so i'm not really sure... Lions mids are stacked, as a team they didn't go overboard with possession in M1&2.

I see him going 105 which is why i am keeping him but can see what others may be worried about

I thought he looked really good last game and only slowed when Fagan decided to give others a run on ball e.g Rayner etc

The thing with picks like these is that you have to ask yourself whether you see him as in best 10-14 mids, as a 700k+ mid probably shouldnt be picked if intention otherwise (arguable - late season upgrade). I would lean more to yes he has merit

I see him going 105 which is why i am keeping him but can see what others may be worried about

I thought he looked really good last game and only slowed when Fagan decided to give others a run on ball e.g Rayner etc
Do you think that’s signs to come? Surely Zorko gets bumped from mids before him. Side note, what did you think of Stevens game yesterday? Enough to pick him? What role did he have?

Do you think that’s signs to come? Surely Zorko gets bumped from mids before him. Side note, what did you think of Stevens game yesterday? Enough to pick him? What role did he have?
I had Steven in my side most of the preseason only took him out because i was unsure if he was going to play any Marsh games he is straight back in now especially with Duncan and Selwood still not sure of round 1 starts

As for McCluggage to me it was clear as day that once the Lions had a comfortable lead and Fagan was happy with it he started to manage the load of players hence McCluggage and Neale getting a fair bit forward time late in the 3rd and 4th.

After all it was only a preseason game no need to burn out 2 of his best mids

Regarding Zorko he was all ready mostly forward before Fagan started messing with things in the 3rd

I had Steven in my side most of the preseason only took him out because i was unsure if he was going to play any Marsh games he is straight back in now especially with Duncan and Selwood still not sure of round 1 starts

As for McCluggage to me it was clear as day that once the Lions had a comfortable lead and Fagan was happy with it he started to manage the load of players hence McCluggage and Neale getting a fair bit forward time late in the 3rd and 4th.

After all it was only a preseason game no need to burn out 2 of his best mids

Regarding Zorko he was all ready mostly forward before Fagan started messing with things in the 3rd
Great to hear! Thanks for the info! Now it’s just Steven v McClug or Wingard v Merrett! 10 days to think!

Well after not touching my team all weekend and watching the carnage unfold, being able to drop Jones down to Taylor feels like a massive win. Not going to get ahead of myself and spend the 120k just yet, but it definitely helps a lot.
Well that didn’t last long, went out and butchered my team within a few hours.

Looks like this:

DEF: B.Smith, Sicily, Houston, Docherty, Roberton, Cummings (170k, 170k)

Strong defence, and had originally decided on only one of Smith or Sicily but far more confident in the two of them becoming top 6-8 defenders come EOS rather than taking a punt on a guy in the mids or forwards, Cummings becomes Young if named. Houston, Doc, Roberton all no brainers.

MIDS: Macrae, Dunkley, Coniglio, Mitchell, McCluggage, Brodie, Rowell, Pickett (170k, 170k)

Four big dogs, Macrae and Dunkley can make cases for being slightly underpriced. Evidence in Bulldogs results that they perform better with both on the ball, still a little nervous though. Coniglio underpriced, injury history concerning, love the bloke though so will give him a crack and hope not to get burnt. McCluggage and Brodie both at least 10ppg improvers this year. Mitchell, Rowell, Pickett locks.

RUCK: English, Naismith (170k)

This is where it gets a little sketchy. Across the two field spots I’ve spent around 50k less than what it would cost to have Grundy which is what helps me make the rest of my team something which I like the look of. Tipping Grundy to have a slowish start to the season and for these two to provide some cash gen throughout the journey. Should be a fun and frustrating experience rolling with these two.

FWDS: Steven, Petracca, Ceglar, Brayshaw, Long, Taylor (170k, 170k)

Role, JS, upside there for all these guys. Pretty set on this line.

Cash: 10k

Definitely a worry with lack of rookies presenting themselves atm, but hopeful we get enough to fill the benches. Forward rookies look to be ok. Have planned options to generate more cash if required in a few downgrades of certain picks to cheaper alternatives if needed.

Will probably drop Macrae down to someone like Merrett or even Adams (if fit) if necessary to pay up for playing expensive rooks on bench.
But this is how it's looking:

Crisp, Houston, Doch, Roberton, Cumming, Starcevich (Brander, B.Williams)

Macrae, Oliver, Cogs, Yeo, Mitchell, Rowell, Robertson, Pickett (Sharp, T.Brown)

Grundy, Naismith (Cameron)

Whit, Steven, Ceglar, Brayshaw, Bewely, Taylor (King, Davis)

Budarick

15k remaining and reasonably happy with how it looks for now before teams are named. Still considering the 4 gun mid structure though and strengthening the backs/fwds

Well that didn’t last long, went out and butchered my team within a few hours.

Looks like this:

DEF: B.Smith, Sicily, Houston, Docherty, Roberton, Cummings (170k, 170k)

Strong defence, and had originally decided on only one of Smith or Sicily but far more confident in the two of them becoming top 6-8 defenders come EOS rather than taking a punt on a guy in the mids or forwards, Cummings becomes Young if named. Houston, Doc, Roberton all no brainers.

MIDS: Macrae, Dunkley, Coniglio, Mitchell, McCluggage, Brodie, Rowell, Pickett (170k, 170k)

Four big dogs, Macrae and Dunkley can make cases for being slightly underpriced. Evidence in Bulldogs results that they perform better with both on the ball, still a little nervous though. Coniglio underpriced, injury history concerning, love the bloke though so will give him a crack and hope not to get burnt. McCluggage and Brodie both at least 10ppg improvers this year. Mitchell, Rowell, Pickett locks.

RUCK: English, Naismith (170k)

This is where it gets a little sketchy. Across the two field spots I’ve spent around 50k less than what it would cost to have Grundy which is what helps me make the rest of my team something which I like the look of. Tipping Grundy to have a slowish start to the season and for these two to provide some cash gen throughout the journey. Should be a fun and frustrating experience rolling with these two.

FWDS: Steven, Petracca, Ceglar, Brayshaw, Long, Taylor (170k, 170k)

Role, JS, upside there for all these guys. Pretty set on this line.

Cash: 10k

Definitely a worry with lack of rookies presenting themselves atm, but hopeful we get enough to fill the benches. Forward rookies look to be ok. Have planned options to generate more cash if required in a few downgrades of certain picks to cheaper alternatives if needed.
For a team without Grundy and Whitfield, I really like it. You’ve got decent depth and scoring power across each line. Have to have massive balls to go without both of them. Not sure I have those cahoneys to do it but could be a master stroke. You’ve essentially got an extra powerful mid in your team and arguably an extra defender compared with most without totally compromising your team. Could fire out of the blocks early with this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back