2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s only pre season, and it’s mostly about role. But is anyone concerned about Dunkley only going 99 and 87 from two full games playing pure mid? I’m probably just second guessing myself, but when you’re paying that type of coin it’s a slight concern

I know it’s only pre season, and it’s mostly about role. But is anyone concerned about Dunkley only going 99 and 87 from two full games playing pure mid? I’m probably just second guessing myself, but when you’re paying that type of coin it’s a slight concern
He didn't really look like he left second gear, Im confident that he and Macrae will both go 120+ next Friday night against the pies.

Haha don't say that, Dunkley was my first picked.

Hmmm, got me thinking!!!

Had Aish at D5 so could go down to him and free some cash!!!
Let me put it this way. In an injury interrupted year, he had his lowest average of his Pies career with a 69.4. Pies love sharing the ball down back, will likely see it down back a little more to start the season if Treloar/Adams aren't fit, and they love it in his hands. I'm not saying he will go bang and pump out 90's/100's but could easily average 80+ and that makes him a great stepping stone to a fallen premo. His previous averages suggest he should be around 82-90 and can't ask for much more than that at his price. Other blokes around the price bracket who interest me:

Milera - durability is a worry
Birchall - see above
Short - scores better without Houli in the side
Baker - role isn't set in stone
Aish - wing spot looks his
Witherden - hasn't shown a huge amount in Marsh and Birchall is currently fit
Blakely - showed **** all in Marsh and din't play Marsh 2. Makes me wonder if he suits up round 1. Dockers fans would be able to answer this one
Lukosiuos - playing that sweeping half back role, GC appear to want the ball in his hands and giving him license to roam. Taking kick outs too. Could be a sleeper. Worth a late draft pick but not sure I have the balls to pick
Cerra - HBF, new chip kick game-style, could see mid minutes

For me, it's currently a toss up between; Howe, Luko, Aish, Cerra

Well Im pretty well set on my side going into round 1, I can actually look at this side and feel reasonably confident.

Backline:
Brodie Smith, Dan Houston, Sam Docherty, Dylan Roberton, Issac Cumming, Lachlan Ash (Jarrod Brander, Tobe Watson)

Midifled:
Jack Macrae, Josh Dunkley, Zach Merrett, Stephen Coniglio, Tom Mitchell, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Marlion Pickett (Brandon Starcevich, Ned McHenry)

Rucks:
Brodie Grundy, Sam Naismith (Darcy Cameron)

Forwards:
Lachie Whitfield, Jack Steven, Andrew Brayshaw, Bailey Smith, Lachie Schultz, Curtis Taylor (Sam Sturt, Max King)

Utility: Connor Budarick

Bye round structure (Not that it worries me at this point):
12: 7
13: 9
14: 14

Keepers:
Brodie Smith
Dan Houston
Sam Docherty
Jack Macrae
Josh Dunkley
Zach Merrett
Stephen Coniglio
Tom Mitchell
Brodie Grundy
Lachie Whitfield
Jack Steven

(11)

50/50:
Dylan Roberton
Andrew Brayshaw
Bailey Smith

(3)
Nice mate very well balanced. I’m running a similar structure at the moment. If some coin happens to fall out your pocket maybe do something better at F5. Apart from that can’t fault.

Nice mate very well balanced. I’m running a similar structure at the moment. If some coin happens to fall out your pocket maybe do something better at F5. Apart from that can’t fault.
Yeah F5 is interesting, I like the upside in Schultz at this stage, I’d love to be able to upgrade him to a Rozee type but it’ll mean taking a hit in the midfield which I don’t really want. Patton is the other option but his body worries me. Thanks heaps for the feedback though mate. Will have a clearer idea when teams are named.

Cumming.

Too much of a hype pick or can he be solid? If he’s got that role locked he’s definitely a good buy in comparison to the other options around that price point. It’s a big if however.

Cumming.

Too much of a hype pick or can he be solid back there? If he’s got that role locked he’s definitely a good buy in comparison to the other options around that price point.

I don't like it but I'm doing it. It's either him or Lukosius for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah F5 is interesting, I like the upside in Schultz at this stage, I’d love to be able to upgrade him to a Rozee type but it’ll mean taking a hit in the midfield which I don’t really want. Patton is the other option but his body worries me. Thanks heaps for the feedback though mate. Will have a clearer idea when teams are named.
I just don’t like small forwards mate. Bad day at the office for him won’t be a 50..

After questioning him this morning I looked into him deeper. 5 100s last year, only a high score of 125 though. He had 8 scores in the 90s and 3 scores below 75. Has been likened to Josh Kelly. His third season.... 6 100s top score of 125, 5 scores in the 90s, 5 scores below 75.

JK
1st season. 69.7
2nd season. 73
3rd season. 89.8
4th season. 112.9

HMc
1st season. 61.2
2nd season. 77.6
3rd season. 91.3
4th season... 105+ ?
On McCluggage, I had a peep at (current) midfielders who had scored similar in their first three seasons; 60-70 (outside of Murph) onto 70-80 onto 90-100 and then 100+ in their fourth season. For whatever these numbers are worth.. They could mean something, they could also equally mean absolutely nothing :sweatsmile:

M. Murphy75.474.997.1102.5
D. Prestia63.475.096.6100.4
M. Crouch65.871.593.5106.7
J. Kelly69.773.789.9112.9
H. McCluggage (*)61.277.691.4???

Other midfielders who went 90-100 in their third season onto 100+ in their fourth year like the above players include O. Wines, Bontempelli, J. Dunkley, P. Cripps (if you remove his season ending 40 in R16), and D. Heppell. Definitely a pattern among a number of talented midfielders, which McCluggage is. I didn't look into every season and see if injuries/positioning/anything else could have altered these numbers, they're mostly just pretty patterns that I'm using to convince myself to pick a R12 borderline keeper :grin:

Just a quick thought on Cumming, if he comes out round 1 and scores a 50 then chances are we can just downgrade him to Hayden Young who by the sounds of it will be back around R2?

Can't be any worse for me than last year when my POD Perryman went off injured at QT, think his ownership was close to 1%.

Just a quick thought on Cumming, if he comes out round 1 and scores a 50 then chances are we can just downgrade him to Hayden Young who by the sounds of it will be back around R2?

Can't be any worse for me than last year when my POD Perryman went off injured at QT, think his ownership was close to 1%.
I don't see why not, we get 2 trades and i remember i picked Lockhart last year then he got dropped after round 1 so i traded him cos i had nothing else to do and he came back 2 weeks later and busted out 99.

Worth the risk with 2 trades.

My defense is a flaming dumpster fire and I've had one man on my mind all day in Lachie Weller - don't know why. Thoughts on why/why not he's a viable option? Enticed by the mid time, like brodie Smith I guess. But I've been cautious of gold coast players (non-rookies) in the past. Someone talk me out of it if it's foolish.
You could do alot worse than Weller. If he can push out 75's as his minimum scores i don't see why not. He's finally getting some midfield time at the expense of Bowes and Bowes was going 80's R1-4 2019.

Weller's form in all 3 games he's played this year has been really good. I would be more confident in Draft leagues, but he's definitely going to improve on his 82 average this year.

You could do alot worse than Weller. If he can push out 75's as his minimum scores i don't see why not. He's finally getting some midfield time at the expense of Bowes and Bowes was going 80's R1-4 2019.

Weller's form in all 3 games he's played this year has been really good. I would be more confident in Draft leagues, but he's definitely going to improve on his 82 average this year.

His role looks good but his price is a little awkward. I can't really move him up to an uber premium in defense without compromising my other lines. Like yourself, can definitely see him improving, but by how much will be the question.

Ah its quiet sad looking at Jack Bowes 2019 stats, he was primed to have his 3rd break out

First 5 rounds: 92.8 (run with roles against Fyfe,Cripps & Bont)
Season Total: 71.5
Take out his 14 for 8 week injury: 75.5

Marsh 1: 61 v Geelong
Marsh 2: 83 v Adelaide

I know it doesn't look THAT good but he will play half back so will eventually get DPP, could be a nice sleeper in Draft league later on.

ok ok i'll stop with all these gold coast players haha i know we're shit. I should be a salesman...

Settled on this sort of look, only temptation is dropping Whitfield for cash. Hand may be forced on that depending on the number of 170k rooks.View attachment 837203
Is Noah Anderson going to have enough Job Security that you'd take the hit on not playing a 5th midfielder instead of getting a defence rookie like Ash.

Crisp (100) + Anderson (55) vs Cripps/Adams etc (105) + Ash (60)?

His role looks good but his price is a little awkward. I can't really move him up to an uber premium in defense without compromising my other lines. Like yourself, can definitely see him improving, but by how much will be the question.
Hopefully he turns into a Zac Williams for us, basically the same role

Is Noah Anderson going to have enough Job Security that you'd take the hit on not playing a 5th midfielder instead of getting a defence rookie like Ash.

Crisp (100) + Anderson (55) vs Cripps/Adams etc (105) + Ash (60)?

I would've thought Anderson has better JS than Ash, but you make a fair point. Green the other worry JS wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back