2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll average what he's priced at (Smith), so it's not like you'll lose anything. I say go with your gut. If you think he can get up to 85-90, why not have a crack?
I've got the spare money to get him up to Ceglar.
This also gives that added security of Naismith R2 swap.
If Naismith gets injured, Ceglar to R2.
Much easier to find a $170-$300k fwd from Naismith's money. If lucky he's pushing $400k & a few of extra rookies come through by then.

I've got the spare money to get him up to Ceglar.
This also gives that added security of Naismith R2 swap.
If Naismith gets injured, Ceglar to R2.
Much easier to find a $170-$300k fwd from Naismith's money. If lucky he's pushing $400k & a few of extra rookies come through by then.

Oh if you're going the Naismith route, Ceglar is a no brainer. You actually pretty much don't have a choice, because you'll want to get an R2 eventually, and 284K while cheap, is still a long way to go to your eventual R2 as opposed to 562K. Definitely do that instead.

don't suppose the site/app designers this year have actually used their brains and added a function to sort your on field team by say, dollar value?
I’d say no given on the app I can’t even keep my players in the position that I want them and/or having to buy someone twice to actually confirm it in my squad..

Honestly, it's near impossible for me to pick Pies defenders, as it's pretty much a crapshoot. If one or two of them are out, the others will rack it up. Howe could go big one week, then Crisp another, and Moore the next. When Scharenberg came back he was taking points away too. Not to mention Langdon (who won't be returning anytime soon), Maynard, Phillips, Greenwood and Pendles when he plays in defence. Too much uncertainty when the Pies are healthy. When they're not, then guys like Crisp and Howe are a great choice
While I somewhat agree with you, Pies want the ball in Howe's hands. I think Crisp will also spend a little more time through the middle in the early stages of the season at least while Treloar is returning from injury. Howe looked incredible in Marsh 2, and Pies players looked to give him the ball for his vision and kicking. Last year was ruined by injuries and poor form. Can see an uptick if his previous years at the Pies are anything to go by. Risky but you only need it to pay off up until about the byes

I get the feeling, haha, it's always tempting to tweak. Mine's now set in stone, I'm just screwing around with hypotheticals at the moment - i.e:

(340) Grundy (120), Laird (95), Ash (60) and Green (65) - Sharp and Starcevich on bench (current)

vs

(320) Danger (105), Sicily (85), Starcevich (50) and English (80) - 2 x 170K on bench (hypothetical)
Would you really do that?

I think the top one is better regardless.

don't suppose the site/app designers this year have actually used their brains and added a function to sort your on field team by say, dollar value?
Nope, gotta swap them yourself.
Oh if you're going the Naismith route, Ceglar is a no brainer. You actually pretty much don't have a choice, because you'll want to get an R2 eventually, and 284K while cheap, is still a long way to go to your eventual R2 as opposed to 562K. Definitely do that instead.
Done and settled.
Now playing with that Grundy to English money...
English more than impressed in his 1 pre season game..

Pretty set on the majority of my team but the one thing I’m weighing up is how to spread the last ~700k.

Either -

- On the ruck and get O’Brien/English with a 4-4 mid and weak-ish forward/back
- Use Naismith and put the cash at M5 for a McCluggage/Steele or whoever (and if this happens I’ll need to decide who..)
- Take both Naismith and the 4-4 and use the cash to upgrade either D5 or F5 to a Cerra or Petracca etc

Leaning towards one of the Naismith options as he’s likely going to be better than quite a few rookies in other areas in terms of JS and potentially scoring if he’s playing as the number 1 ruck.

Edit: Really depends who i want to back in for a breakout. McCluggage, Petracca, Cerra, MacPherson, Gresham, Steele, there’s plenty to choose from

Last edited:
Nah I wouldn't haha, hence why it's only hypothetical. Team is LOCKED!
Played around with the Grundy to English cash with the intention of spending it on 1 upgrade.
Best upgrade I could do was $170k fwd to Ainsworth ($483k) who had huge numbers in jnrs
Marsh 1 = 109
Marsh 2 = 77 (69% game time, sat out last QTR)

Already have Curtis Taylor as $170k
Would help keep the likes of King & Rankine away from the field.

Ha we wish, there was also talk that a one click+drag to move would be returning but here we are still flipping imaginary cards as if we're all playing ****ing YuGiOh.

Nah I wouldn't haha, hence why it's only hypothetical. Team is LOCKED!

If you can actually last until teams are named you have far better willpower than me. Every time I think I'm happy with my team I come across some new stat and make about 3 changes. It's actually sickening how often I'm changing things. I think I have a problem.

Need some feedback. Here’s my team.

DEF - Crisp, Smith, Doch, Houston, Roberton, Cumming (Starc, Greaves?)

MID - Gaff, Adams, Coniglio, Titch, Anderson, Rowell, Sharp, Green (Robertson, Pickett)

RUCK - Jacobs, Naismith (Cameron)

FWD - Whit, Smith, Steven, Greenwood, Brayshaw, Taylor (Brander, King)

Feel crazy going without Grundy but frees up so much structurally elsewhere. Deciding on 4-4 in the mids as I feel Green has more cash generating potential than say, Ash in DEF. Also seems there’s very weak base priced options this year so need to splash out with rooks. This is the least study I’ve done in a decade due to travel so please give some feedback.

Cheers in advance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can actually last until teams are named you have far better willpower than me. Every time I think I'm happy with my team I come across some new stat and make about 3 changes. It's actually sickening how often I'm changing things. I think I have a problem.

Haha, I've been the same, but once I was able to get Laird in for Cerra, I looked at my team and realized it was nice and balanced across the board. Not often I feel that way at the start of a season, and I honestly don't think any of my players (bar Grundy and Whit who will lose money but will still be top in their position so it's not really a loss), will have lost cash by season's end. It's fun experimenting with hypotheticals, knowing that the team I've got keeps coming out on top/knowing I can make those moves anyway after Round 1, because of the way my team is structured. Very content :)

MID - Gaff, Adams, Coniglio, Titch, Anderson, Rowell, Sharp, Green (Robertson, Pickett)

Feel crazy going without Grundy but frees up to so much structurally elsewhere. Deciding on 4-4 in the mids as I feel Green has more cash generating potential than say, Ash in DEF. Also seems there’s very weak base priced options this year so need to splash out with rooks. This is the least study I’ve done in a decade due to travel so please give some feedback.

Cheers in advance.

If Grundy starts with a 140+ on English... his price is going to go even higher and his breakeven will drop and then you'll have to sell the farm to get him in! The thing is... will that type of cash generation be there in the early rounds this year?

Feel crazy going without Grundy but frees up so much structurally elsewhere. Deciding on 4-4 in the mids as I feel Green has more cash generating potential than say, Ash in DEF. Also seems there’s very weak base priced options this year so need to splash out with rooks. This is the least study I’ve done in a decade due to travel so please give some feedback.

Cheers in advance.

I feel like going no Grundy and also a 4-4 midfield means you've overspent on players. If you're going no Grundy I think you'd want to fit in a 5 Rookie team (being 1-3-1).

To make that work for you, I'd consider going Roberston and Brander down to 170k guys, Devon Smith and Jack Steven down to more cash efficient mid pricers, like Wingard, Petracca, Smith and think about Cumming down to Ash (don't think Cumming's role will be as good in the seaosn as it was in pre-season).

Then, use that cash to upgrade Anderson to a player you can afford, not sure of how much cash that gets you but you may be able to grab a Viney or Sam Walsh or maybe even an out and out premium like Cripps if you downgrade Devon far enough.

People who are tossing up between D.Smith / Martin at 720k
Why not just go Toby Greene at 730??

Cumming interests me. I see a lot of people choosing him at the moment but the only games he played last year he looked well out of his depth. No idea what the go is with Williams but surely he slots back into that backline. If that’s the case what happens to Cummings? Also saw Perryman playing HBF stints in marsh 2. Wonder how much space there is for all of them when fit

Hmmmm don't think this does McCluggage's inside midfield time any favours :think:

Sounds like Ellis-Yolmen won't be there, that does great things for his midfield time. Add in Zorko playing much more half forward in Marsh 2 and publicly saying he'll play more forward- there's lots of time there for McCluggage. I sense a Taranto like year for him, without the huge ceiling. 105 feels right. Consistent, durable, upside- he's in my team. Rayner won't affect anything, plus I don't think Robertson is there in round 1.

Sounds like Ellis-Yolmen won't be there, that does great things for his midfield time. Add in Zorko playing much more half forward in Marsh 2 and publicly saying he'll play more forward- there's lots of time there for McCluggage. I sense a Taranto like year for him, without the huge ceiling. 105 feels right. Consistent, durable, upside- he's in my team. Rayner won't affect anything, plus I don't think Robertson is there in round 1.
Only thing holding me back is just the 4 hundreds last year. Probably need that become 10-12 this year for him to be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back