2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Make him walk to PSD

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe maybe not..use the PSD as a negotiating tool definitely but we have had a pretty good relationship with GWS in the past when it comes to player trades and I doubt the club would really want to sacrifice it. I'd be happy to part with the dogs pick to get him and it probably represents fair value - especially if we end up getting a possible end of 2nd rounder for Atkins under FA..but that is just me

Does that sound like 'willing to pay overs' to everyone else as well?
Hately is out of contract, and is keen to come home .....should pickup quite easily based on GWS's history

They have a big TPP problem, they have to reduce list size .....they have got problems

Hately is out of contract, and is keen to come home .....should pickup quite easily based on GWS's history

They have a big TPP problem, they have to reduce list size .....they have got problems
Dwayne is just stating the obvious, of course Adelaide and Port as well would have interest in Hately if he wants to come home, hardly earth shattering news just a media gronk putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 4.

You failed primary school maths as well as everything else? I count 12 players that I said would likely to be going:
Crouch, Atkins, Wilson, Crocker, Gallucci, Poholke, Davis, Knight, Gibbs, Hartigan, Strachan, Taylor

Any other departures would be dependent upon the AFL making special arrangements for delisting of contracted players, given the likely list reductions. If that happens, then Walker, Frampton, Kelly, Seedsman and Murphy all come into the conversation.

Your count of 14 is based on some fairly dodgy assumptions. Your first assumption is fairly reasonable - list sizes going down from 44 to 40; this seems to be the asssumption that most people are working with. Your second assumption is that we'll be looking to recruit 10 players during the off-season - this is where your logic falls down.

Adelaide are likely to draft 6 or 7 new players, including our F/S and NGA selections (Newchurch, Borlase, Edwards). We probably won't be active in the FA market, or at the trade table.

We're probably looking at a turnover of 11-12 players, not 14... and I've provided a list of 12 who are likely to be shown the exit door.
IS 11 -12 players in this year draft too many, considering they are talking about removing the rookie list, meaning that every player sign on will be on 2 year contracts,
Getting in Kids that will not play AFL on a 2 year contract may be worse than Keeping signing some Players to a 1 year contract.

I'm trying to work out where McDonald fits into our forward line, or if we are better taking a mid. I get the feeling that Thilthorpe is less relevant as Himmelberg improves, how long will we re-sign him for? Any less than 3 years indicates Thilthorpe is still top of mind (he might take a few years).

Forward line is:

Fog, Himmelberg, McDonald
McAdam, Stengle, currently Murphy

with mids rotating through and back up McAsey, Worrell swinging through

Three talls, three smalls. Does this work? Where do the three talls play? Is McDonald a full forward or forward flank? Is three talls too many? Should we just take the mids Hollands/ Phillips?

Dwayne is just stating the obvious, of course Adelaide and Port as well would have interest in Hately if he wants to come home, hardly earth shattering news just a media gronk putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 4.
It was Sam Edmund to be fair.

I'd be staggered if we weren't the front runners, but I wouldn't want to pay much

True - though Graham is playing some excellent football for the best side in the comp currently. Was one the best last night as well, I thought.
Both would be good gets ......are Keays and Graham too similar players, for the midfield

Correct, it seems like many people in here harbor an extremely basic understanding of the salary cap.

As it stands right now we are in substantially more danger of not for-filling our 2022 salary cap requirements then we are of exceeding it!
We can bring forward salary payments for Sloane, and I suspect Brad Crouch should he stay

It was Sam Edmund to be fair.

I'd be staggered if we weren't the front runners, but I wouldn't want to pay much
Pick 28 would be the ideal ideal scenario for us IMO otherwise then assess if there's a player we really like at pick 20 and rate him against Hately re potential into the future,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 28 would be the ideal ideal scenario for us IMO otherwise then assess if there's a player we really like at pick 20 and rate him against Hately re potential into the future,
Yeah that would be an absolute maximum.

IS 11 -12 players in this year draft too many, considering they are talking about removing the rookie list, meaning that every player sign on will be on 2 year contracts,
Getting in Kids that will not play AFL on a 2 year contract may be worse than Keeping signing some Players to a 1 year contract.
Won't take that many in this Draft ....after the first round, it'll be father /sons, acadamy

I can see 5 maybe 6 ......although we'll have to delist 10 players by the sound of list discussions

Each draftee has a 2 year contract, and we need to allow for next years Draft in our list management, and number of senior players around the kids

Soo.. Brouch > Pick 2, Hately > PSD (i.e. Free!).

I really want to keep Brouch, but the prospect of getting Pick 1 and 2 (hello McDonald/Thilt/Hollands) is really really tempting. If we lose Brouch, Hately will be a fine addition.
We won't use the PSD, what Carlton did re Martin will have burned all their bridges with the GCS's forever...it's a shit act and one path I would hope we'd have the good sense not to go down if GWS are fair in their dealing...and history shows the GWS are reasonable traders.

I'm trying to work out where McDonald fits into our forward line, or if we are better taking a mid. I get the feeling that Thilthorpe is less relevant as Himmelberg improves, how long will we re-sign him for? Any less than 3 years indicates Thilthorpe is still top of mind (he might take a few years).

Forward line is:

Fog, Himmelberg, McDonald
McAdam, Stengle, currently Murphy

with mids rotating through and back up McAsey, Worrell swinging through

Three talls, three smalls. Does this work? Where do the three talls play? Is McDonald a full forward or forward flank? Is three talls too many? Should we just take the mids Hollands/ Phillips?
I've been thinking about this. McDonald is a red hot prospect right now, but the question is not whether or not he is good, its whether or not he presents an opportunity to attain an even better outcome.

There's am extremely strong possibility that all 4 teams after us would all pay a extremely handsome fee for the right to pick McDonald. And none of them look like they are going to remotely be in finals contention next year (more likely wooden spoon contenders).

For me i'm really starting to like the idea of bidding on the WB player for number 1, and then holding an auction for pick 2 among those 4 teams with the min return set at 2021 1st rounder on top of their next pick! If no one bites, we pick him and get the form player in the draft.

If they do, we drop a couple slots, take the Best Mid Available or Thilthorpe and take what would be an extremely high likelihood of a second top 5 pick into the 2021 draft.

Won't take that many in this Draft ....after the first round, it'll be father /sons, acadamy

I can see 5 maybe 6 ......although we'll have to delist 10 players by the sound of list discussions

Each draftee has a 2 year contract, and we need to allow for next years Draft in our list management, and number of senior players around the kids
I think there's every chance we will use our 2nd round picks on mature age AFL players if anything.

No need for Hately, Graham and Keays.

Graham has runs on the board but the cost might be higher than Hately.
Delist (not including Rookie delistings)

Poholke
Knight
Atkins
Crocker
Davis

Trade
Seedsman
Kelly

I'd suggest Frampton will get another year out of necessity .....but it does mean getting a Ruckman in this Draft

Delist (not including Rookie delistings)

Poholke
Knight
Atkins
Crocker
Davis

Trade
Seedsman
Kelly

I'd suggest Frampton will get another year out of necessity .....but it does mean getting a Ruckman in this Draft
Frampton is contracted for 2 more years, he's not going anywhere this season.

I think there's every chance we will use our 2nd round picks on mature age AFL players if anything.
#28 could blow out to #35 .....I assume we'll use that on Edwards

This is why I suggested we'll need to trade Seedsman / Kelly to get a pick for Hately type ......there'll be plenty of delistings with list size's reducing, so we may get a mature age player like Keays from that lot .....suggest in the 24/25 YO age bracket

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back