List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Archie is terrible when he isn’t spilling balls , or getting out marked by opponents half his size he is taking out our own players (Linc ) . Seriously Stefan Martin doesn’t get another contract potentially but we are gonna keep that spud on the list. World has gone mad. Who would you want stepping in next year .
Archie is contracted but unfortunately Steff is not at present
We shopped Archie around last year on his request. He is one of our back up rucks and did okay when called up but nothing special.
No takers last year so can't imagine any interest this year

I would rather we find the cap space and get a ready made best 22 midfielder that wants to come to the Lions than retain Stef.
Fagan mentioned he would like to retain Stef if possible.
But it is a business and i am sure the Club have asked the question to Stef about a move if the suggestion comes up.

So how do we get that midfielder and stay inside the cap space.
Would require a player swap/swaps and some draft magic but could be done.
One player in the swap could if fact be Stef & maybe another player. Lets say that player is Witherden as his name has come up recently.

Stef was in the top 4/5 rucks in the comp when he signed his last contract so would have been on good money.
Can only guess on Stef salary, but he would have been signed when our team was crap.
The bottom clubs still have to spend the cap so my assumption is he should have been getting one of the better salaries at that time
The other two players out of contract this year are Hinge & Lester.

Archie is contracted but unfortunately Steff is not at present
We shopped Archie around last year on his request. He is one of our back up rucks and did okay when called up but nothing special.
No takers last year so can't imagine any interest this year

I would rather we find the cap space and get a ready made best 22 midfielder that wants to come to the Lions than retain Stef.
Fagan mentioned he would like to retain Stef if possible.
But it is a business and i am sure the Club have asked the question to Stef about a move if the suggestion comes up.

So how do we get that midfielder and stay inside the cap space.
Would require a player swap/swaps and some draft magic but could be done.
One player in the swap could if fact be Stef & maybe another player. Lets say that player is Witherden as his name has come up recently.

Stef was in the top 4/5 rucks in the comp when he signed his last contract so would have been on good money.
Can only guess on Stef salary, but he would have been signed when our team was crap.
The bottom clubs still have to spend the cap so my assumption is he should have been getting one of the better salaries at that time
The other two players out of contract this year are Hinge & Lester.

If I was GWS I would be resigning (not re-signing) Mumford, and signing up Stef along with Preuss.

Not sure we'll have the room for him, but Sam Menegola could be a real possibility for us.

We were very, very into him last year and will be starting to look around for a replacement winger for Mitch. I think he's very close with Linc iirc.

I’m a huge Menegola fan mate. Would be a great addition. Another from Geelong I like is Jordan Clark. He is a WA boy, but could be another good replacement for Robbo on the wing. Could be gettable?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please don't refer to our players as spuds. Have your views about their abilities but show them some respect. I'll bet his abilities are a few levels above yours.
I actually think Archie improved a lot on the games he played this year compared to the previous year.

It's hard to assess when guys don't get a decent run of games but I doubt he'll never be any more than a backup through injury.

I guess 2021 is critical for his career . It's hard to see him getting a game unless Oscar goes down.

I think he's been on one year deals for a little while now so it wouldn't be too high I'd imagine
Yes you are probably right in regard to the 1 year deal. My mistake.
I still think he would have been on good money in 2020 as he had a good season in 2019 especially the two final games.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's contracted for 2021 sure. Hope he has a blinder of a year, surprises us all & gets another contract. But I think that's less likely than likely.
I wonder if Archie will look around again this year like he did last year - without much interest aparently. If Stef goes, he is probably better positioned with us than previously

Martin had a 4 year deal few years back around 600k so he has been on very good money for a long time . I’m sure if he was offered a deal this year even for say 250-300 k he would probably take it as an opportunity to play in a successful team again . I just cannot get my head around the thought you could have someone the caliber of Martin getting delisted or not offered a contract but you then have smith who is absolutely deplorable. I don’t buy that he was improved at all I think it was probably the worst decision our list management team have done by offering smith an extended deal . The fact no other suitors for him last year suggests he is not an AFL standard footballer. We are not winning any flag with him in the team which is what would be required should big o go down. And I think our list management team have been amazing but unfortunately this is a big one to get wrong when he gets a deal over Martin .

Martin had a 4 year deal few years back around 600k so he has been on very good money for a long time . I’m sure if he was offered a deal this year even for say 250-300 k he would probably take it as an opportunity to play in a successful team again . I just cannot get my head around the thought you could have someone the caliber of Martin getting delisted or not offered a contract but you then have smith who is absolutely deplorable. I don’t buy that he was improved at all I think it was probably the worst decision our list management team have done by offering smith an extended deal . The fact no other suitors for him last year suggests he is not an AFL standard footballer. We are not winning any flag with him in the team which is what would be required should big o go down. And I think our list management team have been amazing but unfortunately this is a big one to get wrong when he gets a deal over Martin .
It’s pretty simple.

List sizes are being reduced.

Smith is contracted.

Martin is not.

As much as we’d love to keep Martin I think his best is well and truly behind him. With our current structure he’d be in the reserves all year barring injury IMO.

I’d actually like to see ya put a but of time into Ballenden as a pure Ruckmen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you guys haven't listened to Noble on the latest Roar Deal you really should as it's a great listen, during which he more or less telegraphed that going forward he thinks we will just play 1 ruckman Big O. With chop out support from other talls. It left me the strong impression that Martin would be superfluous to our needs next season.

He kept referring to a forward line comprising Daniher, Hipwood and McStay as well, and when questioned on Fagen's preference for 2 rucks, said something along the lines of Chris is a smart guy and adapts his thinking to suit the situation.

The Martin situation is interesting. I think the emergence of Oscar who is now clearly our number 1 ruck options means that Martin is in a difficult spot. He has never been a very capable forward so it puts him in an awkward position where he will likely be playing 2’s for most of the year.

While he was coming off a long term injury, his form was poor in the finals and we seemed to lose stoppage ascendancy every timehe was rucking.

which is a mistake but one we have to live with a guess .
The drop in list sizes has come out of the blue, to the extent that they are doing it anyway. Any normal year Martin would be a lock for a 1 year contract. Some things you just can’t plan for.

Last edited:
I’m a huge Menegola fan mate. Would be a great addition. Another from Geelong I like is Jordan Clark. He is a WA boy, but could be another good replacement for Robbo on the wing. Could be gettable?

Sam is also a WA boy and I think he might have polled Brownlow votes against us a couple of times.

He has become a fine player and would be a massive upgrade on Robbo.

He is also an outstanding human. Only a few years ago I was helping him make a decision about what he’d take up instead of football - happily things turned around for him on footy front!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Archie is terrible when he isn’t spilling balls , or getting out marked by opponents half his size he is taking out our own players (Linc ) . Seriously Stefan Martin doesn’t get another contract potentially but we are gonna keep that spud on the list. World has gone mad. Who would you want stepping in next year .

He has a contract. We arn't chosing him over Stef, our hands are tied. We arn't in a position to pay out contracts.

Regarding Martin it will come down to a business decision can we put his salary to better use while we are in a premiership window.
If something gets presented to the club in the next two weeks i think the club will move him on if Stef agrees, or delist him.
He signed a 1 year deal in July 2020. He was still playing very good footy at that time and still rated in the top 5 rucks in the AFL.
He finished 7th in the B&F that year behind Neale, Zorko, McCluggage, Lyons, Rich & Cameron
Taking all this into consideration he would have to have gotten an offer of $500 to $600K a year. I am guessing of course.
What's that saying-better to go one year early than one year late

Not knowing our salary cap position it is possible another player would have to move for better opportunities to facilitate getting a best 22 player in.

Interesting few weeks coming up for the Lions
Last year we had 1 retirement & 7 delisted.... In- AhChee, Birchall, Ellis-Yolmen + 4 from the draft
This year to date 1 retirement & 5 delisted.... In- Daniher,

Surely smith can’t be on more than 200 k - ask stef is he prepared to play next year for peanuts and pay smith out .

I see Fagan as a man who honours his commitments. Paying out a contract isn’t doing that.

I think Stef is gone due to circumstances. Also another contracted player to leave for more opportunity, traded for token pick and list space.

Not sure who we have contracted that we would be prepared to move on ? Witherdon but doubt they want to let him go with birch and rich at there ages . Mathison , witherdon ?

On Martin, we must remember he turns 34 this month and struggled with two significant injuries this year. Makes it hard to negotiate a new contract. It's a shame, he has been one of my favourite players and probably the best ruck our club has had in the Lions era. But it's likely the end for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back