Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So, we went hard at Jason Horne Francis with two firsts, a second and CCJ. Knocked back.

Then we went hard at Callaghan with our first and a future first. Knocked back.

Finally we chose Gibcus and then went hard for Pick 11 off Saints, Pick 12 off the Eagles and Pick 13 off Essendon to get Hobbs. What a get that would have been. All three deals knocked back.

I only mention this because of the flogging our recruiters received here in our draft forums for "sitting on their hands" while other teams did seemingly earth shattering deals. The truth is our recruiters had a plan (apparently several) and were bending over backwards to try to win the draft and get the guns. As I said in the lead up, nobody was going to be doing Richmond any favours, making their job twice as hard.

In light of this we took home the best KPD in the draft who many thought might go at Pick 2/3, a super talented XFactor mid, a dynamic XFactor small forward (with a lovely left foot -hooray!) and two cracking modern prototype, slingshot half back/wingers who are fast and great kicks.

Plus a solid draft hand next year with our first and second intact and North's second, probably Pick 19-21.

Thanks for coming Jack.

Life's hard when your on top for so long.
Not just on the playing field.

17&28 for 11 would have been a great trade for Richmond. Especially with Hobbs still on the board at that stage.

We offered it and a plethora of other trades but no one took them. We clearly tried pretty hard to get him, but were not prepared to offer anymore that 1 first + 2nd. Time will tell if we should have offered more. Being an avid NBA fan i think i am more open to the risk of overpaying with draft picks to get a rookie talent we think has the potential to be elite.

I think the league is heading to a "Elite" player league more than ever. More teams than ever have solid talent throughout - I think the difference now between mid-table and great success is how many elite talents you have around that team

I get a strong feeling there’ll be 2 x clubs who end up feeling violently ill over this years draft:

1. Freo for taking Amiss over Gibcus.

2. Saints for taking Milera over Sinn/Hobbs.

It’s how I felt when we took Conca over Heppell when Heppell seemed such an obvious pick.

Sometimes players just scream ‘10-year’ locked and loaded gun and Gibcus and Hobbs do that. Amiss and Milera might be guns too …. but both would worry me and I’m glad we avoided them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We offered it and a plethora of other trades but no one took them. We clearly tried pretty hard to get him, but were not prepared to offer anymore that 1 first + 2nd. Time will tell if we should have offered more. Being an avid NBA fan i think i am more open to the risk of overpaying with draft picks to get a rookie talent we think has the potential to be elite.

I think the league is heading to a "Elite" player league more than ever. More teams than ever have solid talent throughout - I think the difference now between mid-table and great success is how many elite talents you have around that team

Well said they should have paid the extra picks do get the guy they rated

We tried to trade picks 17 and 28 to get pick 11 for him.

He wasn’t a priority otherwise we would have taken him with our first pick and tried to make move for Gibcus. Instead we prioritise Gibcus running the risk of not getting him which happens. He wasn’t a priority. We also tried to get 1 2 and 3. Do you think we would have taken Hobbs with those picks?

He wasn’t a priority otherwise we would have taken him with our first pick and tried to make move for Gibcus. Instead we prioritise Gibcus running the risk of not getting him which happens. He wasn’t a priority. We also tried to get 1 2 and 3. Do you think we would have taken Hobbs with those picks?

I think we should have offered a bit more for Horne / calla to get it over the line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why you are quoting me?
We obviously rated Gibcus higher than Hobbs. Hence picking him up at 9 then trying to get Hobbs afterwards.

What part of any of my comments are you contesting?
Sorry I might have confused you but you said I had no idea about the draft because i missed one mid in the top 20.
We were prepared to trade the picks used on Tom Brown and Sonsie for Hobbs it has emerged so I feel I had some idea when talking up Hobbs instead of Gibcus.

Sorry I might have confused you but you said I had no idea about the draft because i missed one mid in the top 20.
We were prepared to trade the picks used on Tom Brown and Sonsie for Hobbs it has emerged so I feel I had some idea when talking up Hobbs instead of Gibcus.
My view on it was was rated the top KPD over the 5th best mid in the draft. And that proved to be the case.

I still rate him as a second tier mid in the draft and the picks we offered to clubs with access for him vs what we offered clubs with access to tier one mids validates that.

My view on it was was rated the top KPD over the 5th best mid in the draft. And that proved to be the case.

I still rate him as a second tier mid in the draft and the picks we offered to clubs with access for him vs what we offered clubs with access to tier one mids validates that.
Yes it would have ideal to get both but Gibcus is part of our future spine so that is important to the club.
I'm just worried Hobb's will be star player.
He was the 4th or 5th best mid in the draft, but it was a very strong draft for mids.

I think we should have offered a bit more for Horne / calla to get it over the line
Tell me more.
What should we have given up to get JHF? North were a very quick strong no on our offer so it would have been significantly more than that to get it over the line. What would you have offered?

Yes it would have ideal to get both but Gibcus is part of our future spine so that is important to the club.
He was the 4th or 5th best mid in the draft, but it was a very strong draft for mids.
So what’s your point?
You preferred the fifth rated mid to the best KPD? Put it on the line and be done with it.

So what’s your point?
You preferred the fifth rated mid to the best KPD? Put it on the line and be done with it.
I would have taken Hobbs with our first pick and Leek Aleer or other with another pick or got a kpd next year if the good ones ran out.
Gibcus won't be a regular in our current premiership window, but Hobbs could of been and he would have pushed the other mids to improve to retain their spot.
I don't like using top ten picks on KPDs.
But that's just my opinion.
No one's opinion is wrong until we find out who can play in a few years time.

I would have taken Hobbs with our first pick and Leek Aleer or other with another pick or got a kpd next year if the good ones ran out.
Gibcus won't be a regular in our current premiership window, but Hobbs could of been and he would have pushed the other mids to improve to retain their spot.
I don't like using top ten picks on KPDs.
But that's just my opinion.
No one's opinion is wrong until we find out who can play in a few years time.

finally

When you say strong draft for mids i think you need to stipulate what you mean by mids, Are you talking about all mids or inside mids ?
You could say Brown,Banks & Clarke are also mids then Richmond actually drafted 4 mids and 1 KPD But if you are meaning inside mids like i think you are then it really was not that great a draft for mids with only Ward Hobbs & Sheldrick available after the JHD/Daicos/Callaghan players who were unavailable at any cost inside top 20. there was also 6 players over 193cm taken in the top 20 and the rest are flankers
Top 20
6 KPP
6 mids
8 flankers

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back