Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't make sense our hauls have delivered 3 flags that's the facts simple as that.How about we back the the club who delivered that.

Our flags were won on the back of trades, free agency and drafts from 5-10 years ago.

I am talking about our drafts in the last 4 years.

All the kids picked in the draft are obviously very talented and their highlights reels might look great but you have to remember it's still kids playing against kids so no certainty how their careers pan out. Dusty was like a man child playing seniors at 16 for Castlemaine. Big difference.

Sonsie had a fair vfl game.

Banks played state level , senior football with Clarence

Doesn't change the fact the draft record since 2017 would be among the worst in the league.

Yes they had average picks but there's barely one proven player. And it's going to look horrific if RCD, Ross and Dow bomb this year.

The confidence in Clarke from some is based on reality from 4-5+ years ago not recently. How can people defend picking 1 mid and no key forward. There is literally no one even developing or ready to play behind a 32 year old Riewoldt. Think about that.

because we also have trade and free agency options. Do you think with the picks we have they don’t know we need to get into those markets?

we haven’t had a top 5 pick since Martin. A top 10 since Tigger. This is the reality of the comp.

Its not who we took, its their positions.

The club desperately needs big forwards and pure midfielders. Instead we took 2 players in a position we are generally stacked in, and a small forward.
Wouldn't surprise me if Gibcus will play forward.
IMO we need an elite small forward exhibit A and B in Aarts and Geogre in our best 22
Sonsie is your mid and was touted as a number 1 pick for 2021 in 2020
Banks and Brown can play wing which is another position we are struggling in.

We still need to give more games to RCD, DOW, Ross and Martyn. Lets see what they have before we give up on on them

Just watched Tyler sonsie’s highlights and read his profile looks the goods and a steal of the draft many had him in the first round I’m happy with that pick
So you’re melting about the draft being a busy and you’re seeing the highlights of each player for the first time after they’ve been picked?

Our picks suggest to me that we are looking to move either Baker or Stack into the midfield. Both have shown they are capable inside the contest.

Doesn't change the fact the draft record since 2017 would be among the worst in the league.

Yes they had average picks but there's barely one proven player. And it's going to look horrific if RCD, Ross and Dow bomb this year.

The confidence in Clarke from some is based on reality from 4-5+ years ago not recently. How can people defend picking 1 mid and no key forward. There is literally no one even developing or ready to play behind a 32 year old Riewoldt. Think about that.
Which Key forward would you have picked?
Aren't they all shit this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking about attributes, not just position.

Positions are overrated in the modern game anyway. Players aren't born to be stucked in one position in the field and are only capable of playing in that one position for the rest of their career, they need to be versatile.
Good to hear we drafted a kid somewhere in the 195-200cm height range, quick, good mark and kick for goal, reads the play well

Our picks suggest to me that we are looking to move either Baker or Stack into the midfield. Both have shown they are capable inside the contest.

Stacks junior tape of him playing around the ball was pretty bloody impressive

Stack could be that player.
Hard as a cats head, here's hoping he starts taking his AFL career seriously because he could be AA level in the midfield

I respectfully disagree. We have RCD, Ross, Martyn, Dow, Bolton and Graham to complement Dusty, Cotch, Prestia, Lambert and Edwards. Then pinch hit Baker, Stack, Sonsie, Caddy, Parker. They may prove to not be up to it but they haven't had the opportunities yet.... we have next year to help focus on that area if it isn't working.

We have bugger all small forward depth - so Judson pick makes sense. MRJ, Aarts and Castagna the only other guys playing small, with Bolton spending some time there. Cumberland still unknown. D Rioli looking likely to play at hbf/wing.

KPF is the most obvious issue I agree. JR and Lynch still our best two. Suspect Nank will spend a bit more time resting forward if Soldo comes back (particularly if we have injuries/suspension). Then we have S.Ryan and? Perhaps the long term back up plan is to have Balta play forward and Gibcus to replace him back in the next few years....

Still have a chance to pick up rookies as cover as well.
Aren’t we only taking Cumberland and Biggie in the rookie draft though?

The issue with the midfield isn’t in the short term for me. It is when the likes of Lambert, Cotchin and Edwards retire. Our contested game is rubbish with our current midfield group to begin with even with Cotchin etc. so I worry about our contested game when our senior midfielders retire. I don’t think the group of Martyn, Ralphsmith, RCD, Ross, Bolton, and Graham will be close to the best contested group in the league and that is what we are relying upon for the next generation.

We have midfielders, but we don’t have many contested beasts in the next generation. That’s the most disappointing aspect of this draft as we needed to select Sonsie and another tall contested midfielder.

I still like the individual players that we picked though so it is not a bad draft. Hopefully we address this in the next few years

Replace who
How many games did they play and how good where there games
Think we over rated these two they wanted out goodbye

They played 18 combined. Which was useful when Lynch, Riewoldt, Soldo, Toby missed games

Samson Ryan played 1, had zero stats & is now the only back up.

One of the dumbest questions i have had to answer on Bigfooty ever. How the **** have so many of you forgot the season already?

Its not who we took, its their positions.

The club desperately needs big forwards and pure midfielders. Instead we took 2 players in a position we are generally stacked in, and a small forward.
Exactly, we aren't criticising the individuals who we all want to succeed. It's the list strategy which seems to be questionable.

Aren’t we only taking Cumberland and Biggie in the draft though?

The issue with the midfield isn’t in the short term for me. It is when the likes of Lambert, Cotchin and Edwards retire. Our contested game is rubbish with our current midfield group to begin with even with Cotchin etc. so I worry about our contested game when our senior midfielders retire. I don’t think the group of Martyn, Ralphsmith, RCD, Ross, Bolton, and Graham will be close to the best contested group in the league and that is what we are relying upon for the next generation.

We have midfielders, but we don’t have many contested beasts in the next generation. That’s the most disappointing aspect of this draft as we needed to select Sonsie and another tall contested midfielder
Who was the tall contested mid we missed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back