Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
It's crazy as big as the AFL is they can't even get close to putting together highlights packages like this for upcoming draftees.
I genuinely think the AFL despise any kind of media. As an organisation they really live up to the sporty-idiot vibe of not understanding the importance of investing in social media marketing more effectively/how to up engagements.

Erasmus has that size and marking ability that will draw the Fyfe type comparisons. Even down to the swagger and slightly iffy disposal by foot. Definitely the ‘type’ of player I’d like us to target though. If we can’t trade down for Callaghan I’d hope he’s in the frame

Seen a lot of Erasmus love here recently, and just thought I'd throw in my two cents. The kid looks great, the size and marking to play forward but with some agility to run through the mids. I think it is important to say he will not play midfield from the get-go. Doesn't have the biggest tank and his disposal still isn't up to scratch with what we need. I imagine that wherever he goes, he plays a Petracca type role off half-forward until he builds up his disposal and frame.

One thing going overlooked is how limited his exposure has been this year. Even last year he had a quad injury that kept him out for a good chunk of the season and this year he has had his best performances in APS and against weaker opposition. He played 4 Colts games and no WAFL games this season and hasn't shown out for any WA/SA games either. At this point, he still looks like a gun and he has only had good games when healthy, but still has the potential to either be Nat Fyfe or another ineffective contested ball winner who can't hit a target. Also has a strong connection with his home state, but I think a strong club culture combats that and we should be able to make him comfortable here.

With that being said, I think he has emerged as my 3rd favourite for us behind Callaghan and Ward. Callaghan has x-factor and rare evasion and Ward is essentially the perfect mould of the player our midfield needs, but I would be very happy with Erasmus. I think he is the premium F/M prospect over Rachele and I would be disappointed if we picked up Rachele with Erasmus on the board.

Did he play today? I've been coming back to the game for about 10 minutes at a time between housework but haven't noticed him or heard his name once.
Not sure eyes have been firmly glued to the fury vs wilder fight.

I reckon wanganeen will have the best kick in the AFL with the zones and play styles emerging currently

Johnson, Erasmus, Wanganeen all missing. Others too i'm pretty sure. A bit disappointing since we can't get any exposed form on the boys from other states.

Seen a lot of Erasmus love here recently, and just thought I'd throw in my two cents. The kid looks great, the size and marking to play forward but with some agility to run through the mids. I think it is important to say he will not play midfield from the get-go. Doesn't have the biggest tank and his disposal still isn't up to scratch with what we need. I imagine that wherever he goes, he plays a Petracca type role off half-forward until he builds up his disposal and frame.

One thing going overlooked is how limited his exposure has been this year. Even last year he had a quad injury that kept him out for a good chunk of the season and this year he has had his best performances in APS and against weaker opposition. He played 4 Colts games and no WAFL games this season and hasn't shown out for any WA/SA games either. At this point, he still looks like a gun and he has only had good games when healthy, but still has the potential to either be Nat Fyfe or another ineffective contested ball winner who can't hit a target. Also has a strong connection with his home state, but I think a strong club culture combats that and we should be able to make him comfortable here.

With that being said, I think he has emerged as my 3rd favourite for us behind Callaghan and Ward. Callaghan has x-factor and rare evasion and Ward is essentially the perfect mould of the player our midfield needs, but I would be very happy with Erasmus. I think he is the premium F/M prospect over Rachele and I would be disappointed if we picked up Rachele with Erasmus on the board.
Think you are spot on with the Trac observations. Wouldn't see an Erasmus as part of a HFC engine room for some time. I am hoping we get some combine data for him and other prospects because it gives you a better idea of their scope.

Ward is definitely the safer pick, but Callaghan and Erasmus are higher ceiling imo. My order would be
1. Callaghan
2. Erasmus
3. Ward

But the good thing is, we should get access to atleast one of them as it stands currently.

The love for NWM is interesting. I liked him earlier in the year at our round 2. I see him as a marlion Pickett type with a way better kick. Not sure that is worth pick 7

Think you are spot on with the Trac observations. Wouldn't see an Erasmus as part of a HFC engine room for some time. I am hoping we get some combine data for him and other prospects because it gives you a better idea of their scope.

Ward is definitely the safer pick, but Callaghan and Erasmus are higher ceiling imo. My order would be
1. Callaghan
2. Erasmus
3. Ward

But the good thing is, we should get access to atleast one of them as it stands currently.

The love for NWM is interesting. I liked him earlier in the year at our round 2. I see him as a marlion Pickett type with a way better kick. Not sure that is worth pick 7

Liked for the reasoning, not necessarily the conclusion. My order for players available after JHF is probably

1. Callaghan
2. Andrew
3. Ward
4. Hobbs
5. Erasmus

I think Erasmus' colts gf was awesome as an underager who had just come into that level. I just haven't seen (or read) enough since to put him ahead of the others. He's obviously appealing as a strong marking, tall accumulator. But it would help if there were more reports/vision of elite attributes outside that like kicking, evasion, explosiveness, decision making or clearance winning. But all of that seems just decent-good in his midfield play so far. Mostly in school footy.

I get that he could fit the Fyfe/Heeney mold, but there's plenty of Will Setterfield/Matt Kennedy about his junior play as well. I wish he had a full season and some rep footy.

And after that group, I'd have NWM right near the top. Right with that group that would include Gibcus, Rachele, Amiss. So I'd have him as a reach at 7, but not a huge one. I just see him as clearly the best decision maker and kicker in the class. Combined with his agility/evasion (which is there with Callaghan), his height and willingness in a contest from limited opportunities. Everyone in that range will have question marks but I think I like NWMs weapons the most.

NWM looks like a nice player but too outside for me to consider with our first pick. Got to pick a player that has a guaranteed AFL body as well as the requisite skills etc. Imagine an AFL mid doing a lock down job on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be alone here but not keen on Erasmus at pick 5. Like my top picks to have above average pace and skills. Smart player and strong overhead but doesn’t have the explosiveness/X factor I would be looking for with our 1st pick. The kid can play though!

I'm with you . His numbers in colts are very good but compared to nab league it's a weaker competition and aps footy is even worse. It would have been good to see him at least play some reserves games like Matt Johnson who even broke into the league team.

Last edited:
I might be alone here but not keen on Erasmus at pick 5. Like my top picks to have above average pace and skills. Smart player and strong overhead but doesn’t have the explosiveness/X factor I would be looking for with our 1st pick. The kid can play though!
Imo some reasons not to sleep on Erasmus are;

He is a December birth. One of the youngest players in the draft pool (players Johnson is a march birth) so almost a year older and more developed.

He only just switched from cricket to a focus on footy.

His wafl colts GF performance last year was as the youngest player on the ground I believe. Bottom ager but only just eligble.

This year we haven't seen much of him because of PSA commitments and injury but who knows what he could have done with the bigger stage.

He comes with a bit of unknown and risk, but has heaps of development left and has shown an enticing package so far.

I have been keen on Erasmus for a fair while and still are, but am liking the look of Ward at our first pick if we can’t trade up and get Callaghan.
1st preference- Callaghan
2nd preference- Ward
3rd preference- Erasmus

Imo some reasons not to sleep on Erasmus are;

He is a December birth. One of the youngest players in the draft pool (players Johnson is a march birth) so almost a year older and more developed.

He only just switched from cricket to a focus on footy.

His wafl colts GF performance last year was as the youngest player on the ground I believe. Bottom ager but only just eligble.

This year we haven't seen much of him because of PSA commitments and injury but who knows what he could have done with the bigger stage.

He comes with a bit of unknown and risk, but has heaps of development left and has shown an enticing package so far.
He's a really interesting one. Seems higher risk / higher reward and has some attributes that could make him an absolute star (size, marking, versatility). Especially if he grows some more, which he might given the December birth. But then if it doesn't all translate could he just end up another Hoskin-Elliot in-between type? Would feel more comfortable if we could get more high picks in also, to combine him with a safer bet or two.

I am still hoping for pick 2 and Callaghan for his rare size / skill / agility / explosiveness. I think he's the pick of the upside guys.

I think this comment is spot on. I believe he could of played this weekend but the W.A. clubs are hiding him because he wants to stay home.
I hope we stay clear of him and take Hobbs or Ward.

Stronger than Lockett.
Faster than Peter Matera.
Kicks further than Blight.
Better looking than Clayton Oliver!

At least one of those 4 will be true.
This one? Honestly it was a straight guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back