List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naughton was a freak and could play forward or back. I had witnessed him nailing goals from outside 50
Mundy was a full back, Fyfe a half forward. Imagine if they had been pigeonholed in their drafted positions.
Having a blinkered vision of a 17/ 18 year olds future position is so short sighted.
So do you still watch Peel? Polson is apparently very good.
Amiss is another WA tall, so which one ends up at WC 😜

Naughton was a freak and could play forward or back. I had witnessed him nailing goals from outside 50
Mundy was a full back, Fyfe a half forward. Imagine if they had been pigeonholed in their drafted positions.
Having a blinkered vision of a 17/ 18 year olds future position is so short sighted.
You called Naughton at the time.

Sometimes you just pick talent and let the structure sort itself out later.

I think I say it every season but we can run a competition once we know our picks and if you choose a player already drafted then it's negative points, if you draft a player who was still available at your next pick you lose points too then three to four years later the scores are tallied

Just to clarify, if you believe that 'missing' home state players is bad because they are 'right under our noses' as if every club in the country does not have more less the same amount of paid resources watching them you are genuinely an idiot.
😂😂

Are you related to David Walls by any chance? Or cerras manager ??

No point arguing. The proof will be in the pudding in the next few years.
I do think a switch has been made internally as they have realised they have ****ed up.
We seem to be going more local produce as of the last draft.
I'm glad somebody is listening to me .. 🙏🤣

20 of the 43 listed players at Fremantle are originally from WA.
15 are from victoria, of which 8 are from the vic metro region (Cerra, Brayshaw, Sturt, Young, Switta, Bewley, Ryan and Duman). Young and Sturt are from Mornington peninsula but I consider that metro for all intents and purposes, despite the fact that Young played for Vic Country.
The other vic country lads are Mundy, Meek, Darcy, Serong, Tucker, Treacy and Taberner.
From South Australia we have 7 - Frederick, Crowden, Aish, Valente, Cox and Giro.
There is then two others - Alex Pearce from Tas and Lachie Schultz from NSW (though it’s Moama on the vic border in the Riverina and he is really a product of northern Victoria country footy.

I’m not sure what the correct approach is but I expect our draft haul in 2021 to have a strong WA flavour again similar to last year.
If it’s generally the best talent available I’ll be happy with that.

15 are from victoria, of which 8 are from the vic metro region (Cerra, Brayshaw, Sturt, Young, Switta, Bewley, Ryan and Duman). Young and Sturt are from Mornington peninsula but I consider that metro for all intents and purposes, despite the fact that Young played for Vic Country.
The other vic country lads are Mundy, Meek, Darcy, Serong, Tucker, Treacy and Taberner.
From South Australia we have 7 - Frederick, Crowden, Aish, Valente, Cox and Giro.
There is then two others - Alex Pearce from Tas and Lachie Schultz from NSW (though it’s Moama on the vic border in the Riverina and he is really a product of northern Victoria country footy.

I’m not sure what the correct approach is but I expect our draft haul in 2021 to have a strong WA flavour again similar to last year.
Sounds like common sense.,💪

I think it also needs to be pointed out that the Eagles (who were used as a point of reference and as an exemplar of list management) also have only 20 players originally from WA on their list of 44.....

I think I say it every season but we can run a competition once we know our picks and if you choose a player already drafted then it's negative points, if you draft a player who was still available at your next pick you lose points too then three to four years later the scores are tallied
I like doing it the other way.

Pick who you would have drafted based on players available.

Also, which of trades are you happy with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd argue that selecting well performing local players of elite performing non locals is poor list management.
We need to get the best talent in the team possible.

Arguably two of our best ever five players aren't local. That's a list featuring McPharlin, Sandilands, Fyfe, Pavlich and Mundy.

Darling Yeo, Ryan, Kelly, Naughton , Allen , McGovern could all figure in our best ever list if the club had the foresight to pick them. They were all available at our picks. 3 were available as rookie picks , let that sink in.

Darling Yeo, Ryan, Kelly, Naughton , Allen , McGovern could all figure in our best ever list if the club had the foresight to pick them. They were all available at our picks. 3 were available as rookie picks , let that sink in.
West Coast themselves didn't have the foresight to pick 2 of the 7 players you named just then. They had to trade them back in. Maybe leave them out in an argument about their local drafting focus.

I'm challenging you to pick the next group....And if you think Liam Ryan would still be in the AFL after what he has done if he wasn't wearing blue and yellow - you're out of your mind.

I've actually posted a work up of all the non WA players we have drafted replaced with the next WA player taken... it didn't go so well for the buy local crew.

This is a either a logical error or a bad faith argument. By that same reasoning we could have had Graeme Polak and Ashley Sampi rather than Judd And Hodge.

I'm challenging you to pick the next group....And if you think Liam Ryan would still be in the AFL after what he has done if he wasn't wearing blue and yellow - you're out of your mind.

I've actually posted a work up of all the non WA players we have drafted replaced with the next WA player taken... it didn't go so well for the buy local crew.
I did something similar not that long ago where I took the next best WA player in that draft range. I.E. if we took a non WA player at say pick 32 and the next WA player was picked at 38, but another better WA player was picked at 39, I took that player.

Still didn't look good for local picks. (I'll see if I can find it).

Who cares about the next group, Its the last group that was under our noses that hurts,all but one of those named are now playing for WC and the Eagles are again in the window, one of the favourites this season.
No matter which way you try to spin it it was a massive failure by Freo not to recognise this group. Freo should have at least 4 of that group playing now. Defending our talent stuff ups is beyond me. Fremantle should be in the position that WC are now. 20 plus years of disappointments and still some defend the clubs stuff ups.
The Ryan story is more about Fremantles failures to contend with the media.
That's another story though.

Who cares about the next group, Its the last group that was under our noses that hurts,all but one of those named are now playing for WC and the Eagles are again in the window, one of the favourites this season.
No matter which way you try to spin it it was a massive failure by Freo not to recognise this group. Freo should have at least 4 of that group playing now. Defending our talent stuff ups is beyond me. Fremantle should be in the position that WC are now. 20 plus years of disappointments and still some defend the clubs stuff ups.
The Ryan story is more about Fremantles failures to contend with the media.
That's another story though.
Its easier to contend with the media when you are winning

I did something similar not that long ago where I took the next best WA player in that draft range. I.E. if we took a non WA player at say pick 32 and the next WA player was picked at 38, but another better WA player was picked at 39, I took that player.

Still didn't look good for local picks. (I'll see if I can find it).

Look in the rookie picks , that might help.
Ryan, Kelly and McGovern.
Pitt instead of Darling.
That's 4 players who would have changed the face of the list with out upsetting other selections.
Admitting the club **cked up is not a crime.
Missing those players plus Yeo and Naughton has cost us a premiership tilt.
What a rebuild that would have been. No waiting another 5 plus years for this half arsed attempt to bare fruit.

Fremantle should be in the position that WC are now.
We were there five to six years ago. We are way ahead of them.

The Ryan story is entirely about the ability of West Coast sponsors to keep stories off the front page they own and the news they also own. Pull your head out of the sand. If Willie Rioli worked for Fremantle he would have been run out of the game for the first breach, let alone the front page news every time he posted on social media about a new smoking apparatus he acquired (which I'm betting most people are finding out about for the first time when they read this, go figure), LET ALONE getting caught with a block of the drug he was banned for in his pants just before he was supposed to come back.

Missing those players plus Yeo and Naughton has cost us a premiership tilt.
You admitted you can't even pick the players of THIS draft that are going to be worth overlooking higher rated interstate players and you think you can predict whether a team can make a flag?

Unless you're playing the easy percentage game, most clubs aren't winning a flag in the next eight years. What a hero to guess that.

Found it:
YearName
2012​
Josh Simpson
2012​
Jackson Ramsay
2012​
Harrison Marsh
2013​
Blake Acres
2013​
Dayle Garlett
2013​
Jonathon Marsh
2014​
Jarrod Garlett
2014​
Connor Blakely
2014​
Clem Smith
2014​
Josh Deluca
2015​
Marcus Adams (Josh Schoenfeld)
2015​
Declan Mountford
2015​
Shane Yarran
2015​
Nathan Broad (Sam Menegola)
2016​
Griffin Logue
2016​
Darcy Cameron
2016​
Quinton Narkle
2016​
Cameron Zurhaar (no WA players left - had to go to RD)
2017​
Aaron Naughton
2017​
Brandon Starcevich
2017​
Zac Langdon
2017​
Kyron Hayden
2017​
Scott Jones
2017​
Matt Guelfi