List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then had a 10 disposal, 3 mark, 0 goal, 0 behinds day today against Subiaco :( Struggled against South Freo earlier in the year as well.

As I said last week, let's see if he can string some decent games together before saying "quick get him into the team" or "there is no way he is getting drafted"; he might kick 8 next week and all the armchair watchers will be back on the bandwagon. He has some attributes and ability which is nice but when you are coming from a position of being overlooked previously you generally have to have a number of decent games under your belt.

As an interesting comparison and playing off the other thread - Tyrone Thorne seems to be getting a run both in the young talent thread and a super hype on the radio / TV has at the least strung the games together. I am normally super pessimistic about the chances of really small players (and Thorne is VERY small) but if he can keep it up I can see a club desperately needing a small forward (I don't think he is a Brent Daniels HBF, he is good around the goals so I see him more in that capacity) gambling on him at the draft at the end of the year. He has always had a thing for the mercurial but the key difference in his game is he is now putting some consistently strong results on the table. Probably the other things to work on is showing that he has the diligence in preparation and also proving he has the top speed that he will need to show come testing time; these two things are probably not unrelated.

The issue when talking about Thorne in the same breath as Freo is that we have already gambled on a number of very small players; Colyer, Western, Crowden, Giro, Switkowski, Walters all who would be competing for the same kind spot, not to mention those of a decent size who play the same position like Shultz and Henry, and also probably Shannon Motlop. At a list level I am not sure it works for us to be going for another; we do seem to need to change the list up to have a few more talls that we currently stock right now.

What a disingenuous post. Why not name the 20 potatoes nobody has ever heard of that are much more likely to be picked?

It's a free hit and what we don't need is VFL/WAFL/SANFL journeymen. Banners is a monster at WAFL level and a whipping boy on here.

If we draft anyone, it has to be somebody young with some upside.
Each year talent players have the penny drop and start to train professional.

Kelly is the prime example. His numbers before him taking football serious was underwhelming. He had a break out year at South Fremantle and went from not being drafted to a second round pick.

Liam Ryan was always good at Subiaco and wasn’t selected in the rookie draft due to unprofessional work ethic. He pulled out his finger and was drafted in the second round.

Due to COVID the opportunity to do this was reduced in 2020.

This mid draft is a great opportunity to get a best 22 player.

By the way, Banfield is hard as a cats head and his professionalism is off the charts. The issue for him is that he isn’t an one touch player, who skills are below average and makes horrible decisions with the ball.

Strnadica seems to have improved with age. How are Dixon and O’Reilly going?

We either shouldn’t have drafted him or shouldn’t have drafted one or two others. The amount of rucks on the list was beyond stupidity the whole time Strnadica was with us.

The feeling I had at the time was that he was one of those that shouldn’t be drafted at 18. If we’d drafted him in 2018 or 2019 instead he’d 100% still be on an AFL list imo.

A ruck is probably not seen as a desperate requirement but I’m not sure three ruck options is enough on the list. Probably a good option for our second pick in the MSD tbh.

Dixon and O’Reilly won’t be back on AFL lists any time soon. Let’s not completely write them off however.

Each year talent players have the penny drop and start to train professional.

Kelly is the prime example. His numbers before him taking football serious was underwhelming. He had a break out year at South Fremantle and went from not being drafted to a second round pick.

Liam Ryan was always good at Subiaco and wasn’t selected in the rookie draft due to unprofessional work ethic. He pulled out his finger and was drafted in the second round.

Due to COVID the opportunity to do this was reduced in 2020.

This mid draft is a great opportunity to get a best 22 player.

By the way, Banfield is hard as a cats head and his professionalism is off the charts. The issue for him is that he isn’t an one touch player, who skills are below average and makes horrible decisions with the ball.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying it is incredibly unlikely that is the case.

Lobb should be watching tapes of Mitch Clark in 2009 - that's the defensive sweeper role he should be filling. Transition through him forward from defense and then make them kick around him as he sits in the hole when they try and move forward.
Agree, but it’s not really Lobb who should be watching the tapes, it’s Longmuir.

Heh I’d prefer to operate in the realm of reasonable possibilities.
Collingwood have no current first and will have to Butcher the rest of their picks to pay for Daicos.

they’re going to have nothing to give
That's right, and they will still have a big deficit on their first next year, except if they trade it

Yes that’s been common knowledge on Conca since we signed him. Realistically his performance means it would’ve been close to a certainty to play on anyway.

Crowden is playing a lot of games for a guy with ‘a lot to do’ to get a new contract tbh. There’s not a huge amount of injuries up froward either.

I don’t see the urgency to upgrade Watson. He’s not best 22 or even close at this stage. At this stage he played alright last week but hasn’t really shown that much overall. If we delisted him he’d still be there at our last rookie pick imo. Hughes wouldn’t last until the end of the DFA period if we tried the same for him.

Whilst AFL rules don’t stipulate we have to upgrade I wouldn’t be surprised if clubs come for Schultz and Treacy, which could force us to upgrade them anyway.

Blakely is the obvious one to delist and re-rookie. Seems out of favour but isn’t the worst back up to have just in case. Some of the guys I’ve mentioned as 50/50 could be downgraded to the rookie list if we decide to keep them. Given free agency rules I’d say Travis Colyer is a good candidate tbh. No one is coming for 30+year old Colyer as a free agent ever.

Also I wouldn’t be ruling out Taylin Duman. He’ll have an opportunity over at least the next month to show he belongs at AFL level, which he’s done in the past. He started the season with an injury which has put him behind one or two he wouldn’t normally be behind. Unless he gets injured he’ll climb back up the pecking order reasonably quickly imo.
Watson has to be upgraded or put into the draft.. This is his third year on the rookie. We could delist and redraft him to the rookie. Not sure how Crowden is playing a lot for someone not under the pump. We have too many small forwards on our list. Walker or Valente could also be delisted and rookied in the rookie draft if we needed a spot or two on the main list. Colyer could also be delisted and rookied if we wanted to.No way anyone comes for Shultz or Treacy
either. Hopefully we pick up a quality player in the mid season draft that fits a need.

We desperately need a quick leading third tall forward, a quality ford/ruck, a quick and skillful mid sized forward and a quality outside player on a wing who can link up play. In the mid season draft with at least two picks we could use and perhaps 3 I'd look at finding a quality outside mid aroun 24 years of age that is athletic and kicking the ball at an elite level at state league and a quick goal kicking mid sized forward.

Watson has to be upgraded or put into the draft.. This is his third year on the rookie. We could delist and redraft him to the rookie. Not sure how Crowden is playing a lot for someone not under the pump. We have too many small forwards on our list. Walker or Valente could also be delisted and rookied in the rookie draft if we needed a spot or two on the main list. Colyer could also be delisted and rookied if we wanted to.No way anyone comes for Shultz or Treacy
either. Hopefully we pick up a quality player in the mid season draft that fits a need.

We desperately need a quick leading third tall forward, a quality ford/ruck, a quick and skillful mid sized forward and a quality outside player on a wing who can link up play. In the mid season draft with at least two picks we could use and perhaps 3 I'd look at finding a quality outside mid aroun 24 years of age that is athletic and kicking the ball at an elite level at state league and a quick goal kicking mid sized forward.

Delisting and redrafting Watson was exactly what I was suggesting. Hasn’t done enough to be upgraded, nor be picked up by another club imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who stays and Who goes?

Name Years Service Status
Adam Cerra 4 Non-Free Agent
Bailey Banfield 4 Non-Free Agent
Brett Bewley 3 Non-Free Agent
Darcy Tucker 6 Non-Free Agent
David Mundy 18 Unrestricted Free Agent
Ethan Hughes 7 Non-Free Agent
Josh Treacy 1 Non-Free Agent
Lachlan Schultz 3 Non-Free Agent
Leno Thomas 2 Non-Free Agent
Lloyd Meek 4 Non-Free Agent
Mitchell Crowden 4 Non-Free Agent
Nathan Wilson 4 Non-Free Agent
Reece Conca 3 Non-Free Agent
Sam Switkowski 4 Non-Free Agent
Stefan Giro 4 Non-Free Agent
Stephen Hill 13 Unrestricted Free Agent
Taylin Duman 5 Non-Free Agent
Tobe Watson 3 Non-Free Agent
Travis Colyer 3 Non-Free Agent

I see these players as obvious keeps

Adam Cerra Stay if at all possible.
Nathan Wilson Keep - lesser money
Reece Conca Keep
Lloyd Meek Keep
Ethan Hughes Keep
Josh Treacy Keep
Darcy Tucker Keep
Travis Colyer - earned 1 year
Lachlan Schultz - earned a year.

Delist

Bailey Banfield Delist
Brett Bewley Delist
Stephen Hill Retire
David Mundy Retire - playing good footy, but can't play on for ever.

Question Marks

Leno Thomas ?
Mitchell Crowden ?
Sam Switkowski ?
Stefan Giro ?
Taylin Duman ?
Tobe Watson ?

I think we need to get rid of 6 players from the list this year, to allow us to draft 4 plus 2 in the mid year.

Who stays and Who goes?

Reece Conca Keep
Lloyd Meek Keep
Ethan Hughes Keep
Josh Treacy Keep
Darcy Tucker Keep

Delist

Bailey Banfield Delist
Brett Bewley Delist
Stephen Hill Retire

Question Marks

Leno Thomas ?
Mitchell Crowden ?
Sam Switkowski ?
Stefan Giro ?
Taylin Duman ?
Tobe Watson ?

I think we need to get rid of 6 players from the list this year, to allow us to draft 4 plus 2 in the mid year.
These guys? are either injury prone or not tough enough for AFL.

Starting to seriously come around to the idea of moving on talented players that are injury prone. It’s only in the week to week grind of a season that you realise the damage to momentum in a season that constantly injured players have on the clubs momentum. There’s about half a dozen guys who’s bodies have been clearly shown to be unable to withstand the rigours of this sport over a 2-3 year period.
Having 14 or 15 injured players for the majority of the season means it’s totally impossible to build any bit of decent morale or momentum in the squad.

Who stays and Who goes?

Reece Conca Keep
Lloyd Meek Keep
Ethan Hughes Keep
Josh Treacy Keep
Darcy Tucker Keep

Delist

Bailey Banfield Delist
Brett Bewley Delist
Stephen Hill Retire

Question Marks

Leno Thomas ?
Mitchell Crowden ?
Sam Switkowski ?
Stefan Giro ?
Taylin Duman ?
Tobe Watson ?

Mundy?

Meth is a hell of a drug. Bloke should be given a lifetime deal the way he is playing.

Disgraceful comment.

He can and will go on forever. You do not fully understand the power of Mundy.

Who stays and Who goes?

Reece Conca Keep
Lloyd Meek Keep
Ethan Hughes Keep
Josh Treacy Keep
Darcy Tucker Keep

Delist

Bailey Banfield Delist
Brett Bewley Delist
Stephen Hill Retire

Question Marks

Leno Thomas ?
Mitchell Crowden ?
Sam Switkowski ?
Stefan Giro ?
Taylin Duman ?
Tobe Watson ?

delist
Giro
Crowden
Thomas
Banfield
Bewley

take one in the mid season draft

Seems we will carry Hamling and Pearce along for another season next year. We will do well to get ten games out of the two of them combined between now and the end of 2022. At what point do you say enough is enough?

Seems we will carry Hamling and Pearce along for another season next year. We will do well to get ten games out of the two of them combined between now and the end of 2022. At what point do you say enough is enough?

At the end of 2022, if they haven’t proven to be at least good depth by then.

At the end of 2022, if they haven’t proven to be at least good depth by then.
Should we move them on for third or fourth round picks at the end of this year? There’s an opportunity cost to carrying lads on the list that never get near playing consistent footy for the team, especially at their age and salary

If we get rid of Hamling and Pearce we will have to recruit some proper tall backs. Some around 198+ otherwise you constantly have your other defenders going third man up to help in the air and leaving their own man free on the ground. Pearce is our only genuine tall 200cm + defender.

Should we move them on for third or fourth round picks at the end of this year? There’s an opportunity cost to carrying lads on the list that never get near playing consistent footy for the team, especially at their age and salary

I doubt anyone would want them but if someone did and were offering a decent pick, then absolutely. But I wouldn’t be actively shopping them around.
One or both of them may retire at years end if they cop another long term injury this year in any case.

If we get rid of Hamling and Pearce we will have to recruit some proper tall backs. Some around 198+ otherwise you constantly have your other defenders going third man up to help in the air and leaving their own man free on the ground. Pearce is our only genuine tall 200cm + defender.
Which is good if they are actually playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back