List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If an elite WA midfielder was available early that would be a tough choice imo.
Personally like you have all said I want a KPF but a WA grown mid like Johnson would be near impossible to pass on.
All very much depends on where we finish and current list management - who may jump ship?
The only one worth paying overs for is Horn.

If we tried to establish a drafting need on every last game then our need would change pretty much every week based on whether we win or lose. A better way to look at need is by examining the larger list, but you also need to have some idea of what then general strategic outlook and attempts to get a competitive advantage is. As WayToGo said, don't analyse what we should be drafting on what happened over the weekend.

The Eagles for example have for a long time had a higher priority on talls than other clubs that fits with their strategy; you can be sure that when they win that they and others will point to that as their reason for winning; but you only needed to listen to the rants the week before to know that when they lose they will also point to this same top heaviness as the reason they lost and wonder if they need better quality. Other teams do different things; for example - can anyone point to a tall that Richmond has taken in the Top 15 since Ty Vickery in 2008? Few would bother accusing them of being light on quality talls or having a poor drafting strategy.

Like it or not we have always prioritized midfielders when it comes to best available. And most clubs go with a best available policy for early picks (which is mainly what is being talked about here). We will take what we believe is best available with our first pick.

And you can't look at players and assume they will be plug and play - even if we did draft say Van Rooyen, he isn't going to play much if at all next year (he would be behind Treacy in the pecking order and even he is waiting his turn despite putting good numbers up at the lower level atm), and possibly the year after that. Compare that to a midfielder like Johnson who may play a bit in a utility position (not as a midfielder) but would suffer in all probably suffer all the same things that gets on those nose at the moment about Serong only playing 67%, or Frederick being terrible in the last game (has anyone bothered to consider as a young player he just can't last out that long) or the complaints about Cerra or Henry or Chapman etc....

Yeah there is, but not always in our likely range and meeting our needs, as should be the case this year.

Dont think Lobb and Hogan are the correct analogy, we are still going to the draft, we are just going to the draft a year earlier. I think a year earlier will fit with our existing list better
It wasn't meant to be an analogy, it was meant to point out what happens when you're not patient. We took on Hogan with his ridiculous baggage because he had talent and was ready to go.
We took Lobb because I assume we thought he was going to recapture and/or improve his 2016 form.

Clearly both were overs, Hogan massively so.

Trading up because you want it now is the same thing, blowing extra capital just because we want it now.
Stocker is mud, Hogan has more talent than all of our current forwards and McCarthy put together - he’s just a party boy, Lobb is a top up front runner.
Real issue was Ross ruled the roost and thought he could top up at the time by adding chess pieces instead of rebuilding the list.
This has set our club back another two drafts and crucial development time.
We go balls in this this draft and target local WA talent to rite the list and we will be way further advanced instead of stockpiling go home potential Vic Metros
I wasn't saying Stocker was good, I am saying Carlton obviously thought he was. If we were to rate a slider similarly, then you can make a case for the trade up.

Hogan's talent is irrelevant given he came with a potentially career threatening injury and the insane off-field baggage we all know about now. Hogan is also a front runner. Check his stats at Melbourne and who he kicked most of his goals against.

I don't know whose fault it is and I don't care, the point was we weren't patient and we're paying for it now. We just need to learn our lesson as a club.

Agree with talls but as always I don't agree with targeting only WA talent.

Trading for recycled WA is not something that has worked, as you have to pay a premium for them, we have had many opportunities to draft tall WA talent over the last 4 years but have elected not to. English 2016, Naughton and Allen 2017, and Jackson & Georgiades 2019, McDonald 2020 all WA boys. We drafted Cerra, Serong, Brayshaw, Young etc all are great kids and good picks but they will all want to go home sooner rather than later.

If we tried to establish a drafting need on every last game then our need would change pretty much every week based on whether we win or lose. A better way to look at need is by examining the larger list, but you also need to have some idea of what then general strategic outlook and attempts to get a competitive advantage is. As WayToGo said, don't analyse what we should be drafting on what happened over the weekend.

The Eagles for example have for a long time had a higher priority on talls than other clubs that fits with their strategy; you can be sure that when they win that they and others will point to that as their reason for winning; but you only needed to listen to the rants the week before to know that when they lose they will also point to this same top heaviness as the reason they lost and wonder if they need better quality. Other teams do different things; for example - can anyone point to a tall that Richmond has taken in the Top 15 since Ty Vickery in 2008? Few would bother accusing them of being light on quality talls or having a poor drafting strategy.

Like it or not we have always prioritized midfielders when it comes to best available. And most clubs go with a best available policy for early picks (which is mainly what is being talked about here). We will take what we believe is best available with our first pick.

And you can't look at players and assume they will be plug and play - even if we did draft say Van Rooyen, he isn't going to play much if at all next year (he would be behind Treacy in the pecking order and even he is waiting his turn despite putting good numbers up at the lower level atm), and possibly the year after that. Compare that to a midfielder like Johnson who may play a bit in a utility position (not as a midfielder) but would suffer in all probably suffer all the same things that gets on those nose at the moment about Serong only playing 67%, or Frederick being terrible in the last game (has anyone bothered to consider as a young player he just can't last out that long) or the complaints about Cerra or Henry or Chapman etc....
I think we realise they can't do much more the young guys. What I wonder though is when they reach that point whether they shouldn't be replaced in the team for a while rather than just left there to under-produce for weeks on end to learn resilience. You can't say that "we have too many passengers" and at the same time continue to play obviously tired young players.

I think we realise they can't do much more the young guys. What I wonder though is when they reach that point whether they shouldn't be replaced in the team for a while rather than just left there to under-produce for weeks on end to learn resilience. You can't say that "we have too many passengers" and at the same time continue to play obviously tired young players.
I think the shorter games last year masked this problem to some extent - it is silly to think that our young kids will play to their best every week in a season with full-length games. I suspect last year was an anomaly that made us think we were a litle better than we actually are.

Still 2-3 years away from being a real force.

I think the shorter games last year masked this problem to some extent - it is silly to think that our young kids will play to their best every week in a season with full-length games. I suspect last year was an anomaly that made us think we were a litle better than we actually are.

I think a bit more rotation in and out of the team would be a good idea. Bringing in the Blakely's and Valente when ready and also rotating some of the young guys in and out. They get minutes plus it keeps the team fresher

Absolutely this. The top eight as it stands is pretty much a lock. (Sydney will drop, possibly making way for the Saints.) We were never going to be a serious finals contender while relying on our current crop of kids. Winning finals takes a special kind of endurance.

We'll get up there again, but not until we have a group of predominantly mature bodies with experience.

Absolutely this. The top eight as it stands is pretty much a lock. (Sydney will drop, possibly making way for the Saints.) We were never going to be a serious finals contender while relying on our current crop of kids. Winning finals takes a special kind of endurance.

We'll get up there again, but not until we have a group of predominantly mature bodies with experience.
You could have told me before I laid all of those carton bets with my Weagle mates!

I hate random posts from fans saying "how about we trade in this guy"...but...

Jake Riccardi is OOC and could be a fourth wheel if Hogan/Himmelberg/Finlayson cement themselves as top three in the GWS KPP pecking order.

I have no idea about him except for he's a KPP, looks like a late bloomer, and tore us a new one last year. Plus I'm not sure what they would want for him if a trade was done.

Maybe we could salvage something out of the Hogan cluster**** after all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate random posts from fans saying "how about we trade in this guy"...but...

Jake Riccardi is OOC and could be a fourth wheel if Hogan/Himmelberg/Finlayson cement themselves as top three in the GWS KPP pecking order.

I have no idea about him except for he's a KPP, looks like a late bloomer, and tore us a new one last year. Plus I'm not sure what they would want for him if a trade was done.

Maybe we could salvage something out of the Hogan clusterfu** after all?
If he is not West Australian why would he come? Can't continue to overpay for questionable talent.

Wouldn't it be great if one day Fremantle could be attractive to players all over Australia like the Wildcats are...?

“The opportunity to play basketball again, at such a historic team like Perth, is exciting. I’m just dying to get back on the court.”

If Lobb's form continues to be shit would anyone be interested in trading + a pick to Port Adelaide for Mitch Georgiades?

Georgiades said the other day that he wouldn't consider coming back to Perth.
Who the fk would admit wanting to come back home when you are 7 rounds in. I wouldn't do the trade if he had no interest in playing but if we had the capital to execute that trade and he was interested I would do it. Besides, having someone of Lobb's age profile would be perfect for a team in the premiership window.

Who the fk would admit wanting to come back home when you are 7 rounds in. I wouldn't do the trade if he had no interest in playing but if we had the capital to execute that trade and he was interested I would do it. Besides, having someone of Lobb's age profile would be perfect for a team in the premiership window.
We can find a Giorgiades type reasonably easily. Finding a forward/ ruck is much harder

We can find a Giorgiades type reasonably easily. Finding a forward/ ruck is much harder
No one shares my opinion but I saw Meek kick two goals in a Wafl game a few weeks ago. I believe in time he can be that ruck/forward role.

Im done trading in Key Fwds. Rather get a Rookie or Draft a Top 10 Caliber Fwd.

If we're gonna trade in a player, a superstar KPD would be the best for us.

Ryan and Cox are the only high end talent we have in the backline atm. Young is talented, but could be another injury proned player. Hughes, Logue, Wilson very average..Chapman looked fantastic, but looks the type who'll struggle to put on weight like Watson.

Hamling and Pearce are just about done.

No one shares my opinion but I saw Meek kick two goals in a Wafl game a few weeks ago. I believe in time he can be that ruck/forward role.
Yeah. In time. He isn't there yet though. He looked lost as a forward when he played there at AFL level
Lobb's problem is he doesn't like rucking. He is alright around the ground, takes some good grabs and usually kicks a couple but he doesn't like being at the center bounce down, by the looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back