List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically for the staunchly no trading for players team, if Cerra chose to go and we could turn him into Luke Jackson, would you prefer Jackson or picks
Picks.

Jackson doesn't impress me much as a forward and I don't think it makes sense to invest that much of our resources into the ruck (with Sean already there).

Sign meek up for two more years on $130k or so and we will be covered in the ruck for the next while. You don’t want to be wasting too much cap space on a back up ruck.
Also in the unlikely event Darcy leaves, we would really need him then 🙄

If we get Cripps as a free agent, and lose Cerra for late two 1st rounds picks plus a 2nd are we in a better spot list wise?

I'm not sure how the deal would look but it's more than a coincidence that there's two players wanting to return to their respective states - both yet to sign a contract.

I'm not sure how the deal would look but it's more than a coincidence that there's two players wanting to return to their respective states - both yet to sign a contract.
Cripps has signed with Carlton...

Has he though?
Footy classified last night said he hadn’t if I heard correctly ?
I was confused as I’d heard he had ?
Yeah it's an odd sitch indeed. You're right, in that it was reported that he had signed a new deal (that would have him remain at Carlton until he was 30 at least) but nothing eventuated from that report. It was said at the time, that all that was remaining was to "iron out" some nuanced details of the contract, and that the announcement would be made within a week. Here we are some weeks later, with no further information!

Yeah it's an odd sitch indeed. You're right, in that it was reported that he had signed a new deal (that would have him remain at Carlton until he was 30 at least) but nothing eventuated from that report. It was said at the time, that all that was remaining was to "iron out" some nuanced details of the contract, and that the announcement would be made within a week. Here we are some weeks later, with no further information!
Interesting 🤔
Fan the flames of the Cerra swap Cripps rumour , should have legs for a while .

😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The claims are that we should have picked up Naughton or Allen instead of Cerra, not that we could have somehow secured the trade to facilitate selection of all of them.

The fantasy takes on a whole new spin when the picks we have can be massaged to suit the circumstances and if the players are good enough to pass on the player we have, why does it matter? We are directly comparing Cerra to Naughton aren't we? Cerra to Allen?
At the time a guts call would have been to trade pick 5 to the Bulldogs for pick 9 + 18 from memory.
Naughton went at at 9 where Doerre and Twomey picked, and a number of players were available at that pick 18.
There was Balta, Ryan and Kelly besides Allen if I remember right.
We may have had to cough up a little more to the Bulldogs but they would have been into Cerra.

2019 draft was similarly bad.

At the time a guts call would have been to trade pick 5 to the Bulldogs for pick 9 + 18 from memory.
Naughton went at at 9 where Doerre and Twomey picked, and a number of players were available at that pick 18.
We may have had to cough up a little more to the Bulldogs but they would have been into Cerra.

That's a good suggestion, we picked up a tall with our next available pick after Cerra so the need was absolutely identified there. Curious which midfielder we would have picked up around pick #43.

Oscar Allen measured 191.1cm at the draft camp - which is why he dropped down the order. He is taller now.

I agree that was a very deep draft WCE traded their top pick for some later picks which enabled them to pickup Allen, Ryan, Brander, Petrucelli and Ainsworth. Pick 5 for 9 & 18 would have got us a combination of Naughton, Allen and Ryan

I think people are missing the point of the argument.

Our problem isn't the players we selected with our picks (we've drafted well and had very few busts with the picks we had), it is the minimal picks we have had available that have limited our ability to balance our list. We spend a lot of future (non 1st round) picks and then pay a premium buying back into the draft every year.

Thankfully we've managed to find gold later in the draft like Darcy, Ryan, Cox, Frederick, Treacy etc otherwise our list would have holes all over the place. Time to stop short changing the draft currency Walls and our recruiters have had to work with and instead trust them to find the extra pieces we need.

would they have been? they needed KPPs at both ends of the ground, Naughton was always the perfect pick for them that year

would they have been? they needed KPPs at both ends of the ground, Naughton was always the perfect pick for them that year
Would have been key dockers to trade down, only for the dogs to take naughton at five, and we miss on cerra as well. We would have taken brander, as he was rated higher than Allen, and looked bloody stupid

That's a good suggestion, we picked up a tall with our next available pick after Cerra so the need was absolutely identified there. Curious which midfielder we would have picked up around pick #43.

Oscar Allen measured 191.1cm at the draft camp - which is why he dropped down the order. He is taller now.
I agree that was a very deep draft WCE traded their top pick for some later picks which enabled them to pickup Allen, Ryan, Brander, Petrucelli and Ainsworth. Pick 5 for 9 & 18 would have got us a combination of Naughton, Allen and Ryan
That draft for WCE was genius….stopped them bottoming out IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back