Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone spot Fischer in any of those pics?

I was just about to post the same thing. I didn't see him at all.

Might have given him extended time with family in VIC? Covid-19 would have been hard on a lot of the interstate boys.

That being said, i know we were pleased that a lot of our newer players stayed in SA for the majority of the offseason, and were encouraged to explore the state.

Looks like a fair bit of work has been going on in the gym

I was just about to post the same thing. I didn't see him at all.

Might have given him extended time with family in VIC? Covid-19 would have been hard on a lot of the interstate boys.

That being said, i know we were pleased that a lot of our newer players stayed in SA for the majority of the offseason, and were encouraged to explore the state.

Looks like a fair bit of work has been going on in the gym
Or sick maybe? They are ultra cautious obviously. Scanning temps on arrival in the video

I'm rapt to see Josh Worrell out there looking like he's having fun and fully engaged with the boys, bodes well for the future I think.

If he gets through pre-season unscathed I get the feel he's a chance for an early taste of AFL probably starting on the wing...

I think Hamish mentioned Sloane is in Melbourne for the draft, so there may be a chance Mcasey is too.
Nope.

He said Rory and Tom Lynch had always shown an interest in the draft as had Sam Jacobs.
If that was the case and we're taking Thilthorpe he'd be in Adelaide, Wadonga if we were taking Lij and Perth if it was McDonald given the circumstances.
Unless of course we're based in Victoria for the draft?

Sloane, Lynch actively involved in 2020 Draft
The Crows skipper will be in Adelaide’s draft selection room next week

Good to see the senior guys back out there as well. Reality is they were the group who let us down the most, they'll need to lift to help the young kids out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope.

He said Rory and Tom Lynch had always shown an interest in the draft as had Sam Jacobs.
If that was the case and we're taking Thilthorpe he'd be in Adelaide, Wadonga if we were taking Lij and Perth if it was McDonald given the circumstances.
Unless of course we're based in Victoria for the draft?

Sloane, Lynch actively involved in 2020 Draft
The Crows skipper will be in Adelaide’s draft selection room next week
The part I was thinking of was Hamish mentioned Sloane being in Melbourne helping out on the draft night with the recruiting staff, with Nicks and Fagan and others staying in Adelaide. 19:56 if the time stamp doesn't work.

The part I was thinking of was Hamish mentioned Sloane being in Melbourne helping out on the draft night with the recruiting staff, with Nicks and Fagan and others staying in Adelaide. 19:56 if the time stamp doesn't work.

You might be right but with it being done by Zoom and the likelihood of us not going Victorian unless it's Lij and he's coming down from Wadonga for the meet and greet in Melbourne I don't think it's a factor.

I'm rapt to see Josh Worrell out there looking like he's having fun and fully engaged with the boys, bodes well for the future I think.

If he gets through pre-season unscathed I get the feel he's a chance for an early taste of AFL probably starting on the wing...

Lot of competition around wing/half back. Would need injuries you'd think.

Adelaide players return to the club for the first day of pre-season training
Lachlan Sholl ended the season like a house on fire, getting a rising star nomination after two stellar games in a row, and on Monday he was a running machine in the final drill under the eye of the Crows beefed up coaching group

He said he was excited to see how the Crows would add to it in this week’s draft, on top of former GWS Giant Jackson Hately coming in via the pre-season draft.

“He will certainly help, he will be allowed to come to the club later this week,” van Berlo said.

“He’s already done a bit of training with the boys, which is really pleasing, and he will certainly add to our midfield mix that’s for sure.”

1607374053794.png

Gees we have some tall timber around the ground now.

By my count we already have 14 players around that 6'3 mark or above (ROB, Strachan, Tex, Talia, Lynch, Fog, McAsey, Berg, Butts, Gollant, O'Conner, Hately, Worrall, Frampton).

Wouldn't surprise me if that number goes up tomorrow night as well.

Gees we have some tall timber around the ground now.

By my count we already have 14 players around that 6'3 mark or above (ROB, Strachan, Tex, Talia, Lynch, Fog, McAsey, Berg, Butts, Gollant, O'Conner, Hately, Worrall, Frampton).

Wouldn't surprise me if that number goes up tomorrow night as well.

We seem to be going against the grain of other sides, including selecting four talls in the forward line.

Need a couple of Charlie Cameron types to offset the number of glacially slow players we have.

We seem to be going against the grain of other sides, including selecting four talls in the forward line.

Need a couple of Charlie Cameron types to offset the number of glacially slow players we have.
Looks like the West Coast model .....works if your bigmen are good, but even they have improved dramatically with a few nippy speedsters around them

Having a speedster who's also an aerial threat adds to the fwd line impact .....welcome Shane McAdam

Looks like the West Coast model .....works if your bigmen are good, but even they have improved dramatically with a few nippy speedsters around them

Having a speedster who's also an aerial threat adds to the fwd line impact .....welcome Shane McAdam

The issue is we've got Tex, Lynch and Fog, who are all shit in the air and regularly get outmarked. Murphy is a better aerialist than those three. Tex and Lynch are also witches' hats once the ball hits the deck.

The issue is we've got Tex, Lynch and Fog, who are all sh*t in the air and regularly get outmarked. Murphy is a better aerialist than those three. Tex and Lynch are also witches' hats once the ball hits the deck.
Which was my worry with McDonald ....more the same

But we're planning for the next model now .....and gratefully we are adding players with greater aerial strength

Which was my worry with McDonald ....more the same

But we're planning for the next model now .....and gratefully we are adding players with greater aerial strength

Afl draft central seem decently bullish on McDonalds becoming good in the air with a technical change:

"In his time close to goal, McDonald’s ability to own his area really comes to the fore. He protects the drop zone very well from long balls into the attacking 50, making most entries work with his clever positioning and bodywork. It was a marvel to see his strength as an 18-year-old at times, able to hold off senior adversaries, push off at the right time to mark, or rise straight up to clunk the ball under heat. He does tend to rely on taking the ball on his chest a little, a trait which may see him come undone a touch under the pressure and pace of AFL football, though he is certainly capable of stretching for overhead marks going back with the flight, or leaping up over the back of a pack."

Plus that 82 cm vertical leap as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Logan ends up a better option in a contested marking situation than Thilthorpe once all is said and done, as Logans issues seem a lot easier to fix (seeing it's primarily "gain more weight and extend your arms more", one of those two is going to happen anyway). Thilthorpe doesn't have much of a leap on him which could be exposed with the step up, if it can't be developed (his summary: "Building the power to explode vertically and crash packs, rather than stand up in them will be the next step for Thilthorpe in providing a more well-rounded aerial game. He seems to be faring quite well in that department nonetheless, averaging four marks per his nine League appearances in 2020.").

Last edited:
Adelaide players return to the club for the first day of pre-season training
Lachlan Sholl ended the season like a house on fire, getting a rising star nomination after two stellar games in a row, and on Monday he was a running machine in the final drill under the eye of the Crows beefed up coaching group

He said he was excited to see how the Crows would add to it in this week’s draft, on top of former GWS Giant Jackson Hately coming in via the pre-season draft.

“He will certainly help, he will be allowed to come to the club later this week,” van Berlo said.

“He’s already done a bit of training with the boys, which is really pleasing, and he will certainly add to our midfield mix that’s for sure.”

View attachment 1024392
Great journalism...they talk about how Lachie Sholl was excited about Jackson Hately coming to the club and then quote NVB who talks about it.
Why not go with Lachie Sholl trained well, and NVB is excited about JH arriving.

Or, use a quote from Lachie Sholl.

Seriously!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back