Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs a big preseason to turn his career around.
I mean looking at his stats is not great reading. Its starting to seem like his 2016 season was an outlier, and the 2017-2020 form is the cold reality of what you can expect from Mitch McGovern.

1 or 2 flashes a game, only good for 1.29 goals per game (and decreasing) as a 3rd tall option who'se hamstrings seem to have lost their explosiveness...

At this point I think his career is hanging by a thread.

Fogarty is the one player on our list who this season could go from borderline best 22 to star player.
Let's hope the penny has dropped.

Milera is the other could see rapid improvement but I wouldnt say he is borderline best 22. Easily in there right now.

Players like Hamill, Sholl, McAsey, McAdam, Schoenberg, Jones, Himmelburg should all steadily improve.

Someone like Rowe or Pedlar could be Jack in the box

Ben Keays is interviewed on the keeper league podcast

At the conclusion of Season 2020, a number of young Crows were left to decide whether to return home to Victoria, which was still under coronavirus restrictions, or remain in South Australia.

Ultimately, the majority stayed in Adelaide, training together in bigger groups during the off-season.

This decision has paid major dividends, evident throughout the first week of training in 2021.

“A lot of us made the decision to stay here in Adelaide and it helped us immensely, especially myself with my running ability, that got a whole lot better off the off-season,” Gollant said.

View attachment 1039544
Who are the ppl in this photo? That one on the right isn't shoenberg is it?

Fogarty is the one player on our list who this season could go from borderline best 22 to star player.
Let's hope the penny has dropped.

Milera is the other could see rapid improvement but I wouldnt say he is borderline best 22. Easily in there right now.

Players like Hamill, Sholl, McAsey, McAdam, Schoenberg, Jones, Himmelburg should all steadily improve.

Someone like Rowe or Pedlar could be Jack in the box
What makes you say Milera is easily in the 22 ?
He has some talent and injuries aside at this point I'd say he needs to pull his finger out.

What makes you say Milera is easily in the 22 ?
He has some talent and injuries aside at this point I'd say he needs to pull his finger out.

The fact he's been a walk up start for three seasons, has a four year contract and has already shown to be a good half back flank doesn't do it for you?

Let me switch the question, seeing Laird has moved to being a full time midfielder, Atkins has left, Seedsman has been frozen out, and Mackay is the most vulnerable of our outside stocks, who replaces Milera?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me switch the question, seeing Laird has moved to being a full time midfielder, Atkins has left, Seedsman has been frozen out, and Mackay is the most vulnerable of our outside stocks, who replaces Milera?

Hamill

and who takes Mackays spot, noting Sholl is already in our best 22 and the benefactor of Atkins leaving?

Mackay takes Mackay's spot. Mad Dog isn't going anywhere.

Mackay takes Mackay's spot. Mad Dog isn't going anywhere.

True, we can't rule out Adelaide will be our usual incompetent selves and David survives another season. A demotion to the rookie list does indicate we surely know his time is up though, after all, he's 33 next year. Especially as both Hamill and Milera are in a fight with him for the last two spots, and both are likely flagged as key contributors down the line.

The fact he's been a walk up start for three seasons, has a four year contract and has already shown to be a good half back flank doesn't do it for you?

I'd debate the walk up start statement, his correct position has also been debated due to inconsistent form.
His contract doesn't size mean jack shit, and if your happy with "good" at this stage of his career then you won't be seeing a flag anytime soon.
In regards to a replacement read the various posts of names being spoken about... there are plenty of young blokes getting fit and developing, I'm not holding onto the stagnant blokes hoping they come good I'm going with any kid that either force's the so called proven blokes to be better or they can have the position themselves, simple as that.

He won't play R1, he'll have to wait until injuries.
That we agree on, unless several "youngsters" cop an injury or stink it up in the pre-season games I don't see Mackay getting selected too often for AFL games.. I think his role will be SANFL on field game day mentoring the youngsters game plan wise/positioning etc.....Essentially an on-field SANFL game day coach. Available for AFL if required only.

Last edited:
If you don't think a fit Milera should be in the best 22 then I don't know what to say.
His problem isn't fitness (other than last season, obviously). The issue is his impact (or lack of it) on games when he is fit. The guy has ability, but I can't remember the last time I walked away from a game thinking "Geez, Milera had a blinder today". He's been solid at best.

I'd debate the walk up start statement, his correct position has also been debated due to inconsistent form.
His contract doesn't size mean jack sh*t, and if your happy with "good" at this stage of his career then you won't be seeing a flag anytime soon.
In regards to a replacement read the various posts of names being spoken about... there are plenty of young blokes getting fit and developing, I'm not holding onto the stagnant blokes hoping they come good I'm going with any kid that either force's the so called proven blokes to be better or they can have the position themselves, simple as that.

People are debating it because it's the off-season and people lose their minds with boredom in the off-season. There is as much chance of a fit Milera missing round 1 as there is a fit Sloane, Doedee, Himmelberg and whoever else you want to classify as a lock.

The contract size does not mean jack shit. It tells you everything here. We've invested in Milera and see him as a key part of the side at the end of the rebuild. A core player if you will. No chance anyone who is classified as that is getting anywhere near the axe in the early stages of a rebuild unless they pull Jones-like performances (and even then, they'll be back quickly, like Jones was...). Not only that, but no one has even managed to suggest a viable replacement in part because the spots to bring those players in (well, player, seeing the only name was Hamill) is doable in a much easier manner. I.e. dropping the perpetually mediocre David Mackay who anyone who does mentions "drop Milera" conveniently forgets about. Even if you want to look at "oh, he's a mid-sized defender", you have Jake Kelly who will be in the gun long before Milera will be.

Let's talk about Mileras career, shall we? Right now, his last two full seasons (noting Milera was injured in 2020, and probably missed a key opportunity to stat pad like crazy noting his injury was prior to us moving Laird out of the backline): 2018 he goes at a respectable 19.4 disp/4.7m/4.8int/319.3meters gained and 2019 he goes at 18.2disp/5.4m/3.1int/261.2 meters gained picking the quick and dirty summary statistics for a half back (covering they should be getting the ball and gaining territory and their main function defensively), with both seasons operating at nearly 80% DE. At the moment, it's not setting the world on fire, but they are solid numbers for a relatively young/inexperienced player who is effectively rotating between being a third half back (a perfect position to develop a player in!) and being a utility (especially problematic with 2019 as we got badly sucked into Milera as a forward, again), with a small decrease due to a returning Smith (and subsequent demotion in importance), and any performance does need to mention the caveat of having to share a half back line with Rory Laird (which deserves its own mention as Laird was a monster between 2016-2019). So, yeah, I'm relatively happy. He's done his role in what was a pretty well performing part of the ground which is my pass grade for a player in the formative part of his career.

That's not the standard Wayne will be judged on in 2021. It's not a case of Milera fighting for his career because those numbers will seem him end up being a best 22 in most sides, whether a premier (Milera outperformed 1 of the 3 half backs Richmond had in their grand final side throughout 2019 (Baker, with Short getting the points due to meters gained, but both were very similar outside of that), and par with Adam Kennedy of GWS)) or a wooden spooner. Really, we enter a different phase with Wayne. He's had his "easy" development period and has passed through that without any genuine issues. Now we enter the potentially make or break part of the development cycle, going from the player who has done well in his first 50-60 games as a role player to being the star outside midfielder/half back to lead this sector. Smith isn't that player and Laird is in our inside midfield group now, so the pathway is clear for Milera to do so, and we'll be planning on him stepping up; a 5-year contract shows we see Milera as the player our outside core is built around, we're not robbing him of the shot to become it.

Now, if Milera stays at a similar production level in 2021 with everything being in his favour to improve, then this conversation is starting to be justified, though we'll likely be a few years away from being able to replace Milera with Smith retiring in a couple of years and us restructuring our outside group in 2020.

Also, the argument for "you're not winning a premiership with x" is just emotional wank, nothing more. There is a long list of nothing players to genuine spuds with a premiership medal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back