• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah, chuck him in as our last rookie pick but I wouldn’t say I’m excited about it. We should be delisting all 3 of Turner, Borlase and Davis anyway which would make room for this. If someone bids at pick 50 odd I’m sure we’ll probably match it but mehhh, we’ll probably just give him the Worrell treatment and let him rot in the SANFL forever anyway.
I’ll disagree on this

Michaelanney will be a v nice player , he’s prob the only defender that has been able to keep Sheezel quiet

I reckon clubs will bid end of 2nd round

Tsatas makes a lot of sense from a “player type” point of view. I wonder if there’s any way we can take him and then one of Lemmey or Scully fall to our second pick?

My dream draft would be:

Round 1: Tsatas or Philippou (prefer Tsatas but I appreciate the lure of the local if it’s line ball by November)

Round 2: Lemmey or Scully (if both gone, just take someone who is an elite kick and can break linesman , but it would be great to lock down a local KPP here to replace the corpses of Frampton, McAsey and Himmelberg who shouldn’t be playing senior footy ever again, although I actually like Himmelberg more than the other two as a depth player)

Round 3: Swing for the fences on a high upside type - I wonder if Henry Hustwaite is any chance of sliding to the early 40s. I like him as a tallish utility but feel he probably goes in Round 2. Just don’t draft a fat small forward or another 180cm inside mid for crying out loud.

Rookie Draft:
1) Mature age athletic key defender
2) mobile Ruckman
Scully and Lemmey will both be there at our 2nd pick

Risky taking either there IMO

Needs a pre season to know for sure , wouldn’t write him off at this stage

Doesn’t change fact Carmichael was a great option given many factors , a standout
That’s the thing if he needs a preseason then the whole 18 months for Charmichael putting them off doesn’t cut it. We just made a decision based on talent and given what we need and what’s been shown so far, it’s a fail.

How many fails before we show Hamish the door?

That’s the thing if he needs a preseason then the whole 18 months for Charmichael putting them off doesn’t cut it. We just made a decision based on talent and given what we need and what’s been shown so far, it’s a fail.

No argument here with that

He appears to have a job as long as he like. Will 2022 draft may be his next bust? He has an ability to pick lower hanging talent but seems to always miss on top end talent.
One thing though, has he got the best available scouting network or is he being asked to watch certain kinds of player rather than the best.

He appears to have a job as long as he like. Will 2022 draft may be his next bust? He has an ability to pick lower hanging talent but seems to always miss on top end talent.
One thing though, has he got the best available scouting network or is he being asked to watch certain kinds of player rather than the best.
From what I’ve seen they seem to be well stocked with staff

Also have employed v experienced Richmond recruiter of 15+ yrs that is well regarded

Spoke to someone at Sturt about him and they said similar to your initial thoughts. I wonder if consensus has changed after his good season? Seems to be outperforming some who have been ranked higher.

FWIW they also like a kid Noah Roberts-Thompson who is in the Under 16 age group. Though I see he didn't make the state U16 squad. The last Sturt player this pundit flagged with me who didn't get much of a look in with underage state pathways was... Jordan Dawson
Noah is a good player. He is under 15 age so bottom end under 16 and still getting under 16 games at sturt. Much like Jeff Rozenbilds at Norwood and Lachlan Sands at the Eagles. I'm pretty sure they all made the under 15 schools state team playing this week. Might be a chance in next years Under 16 state team.

Noah is a good player. He is under 15 age so bottom end under 16 and still getting under 16 games at sturt. Much like Jeff Rozenbilds at Norwood and Lachlan Sands at the Eagles. I'm pretty sure they all made the under 15 schools state team playing this week. Might be a chance in next years Under 16 state team.
Sorry to all this a bit off the track.

I’ve seen before you have a good read on St Peters. I was told they have a lad there, a boarder, who made Under 15 schools state team, but is yet to be picked up by any SANFL side? Not zoned because from Victoria.

Any info you know of and can share?

Thank you

WA v SA u18 on Saturday

Moir was fittingly adjudged as SA’s best player after finishing with 11 disposals, eight marks and three inside 50s to go with his four goals.
SA ruck Harry Barnett not only worked hard in the centre square but also around the ground as he tallied 14 disposals, four marks, 15 hit outs and four clearances while his captain Adam D’Aloia battled tirelessly for an equal team-high 23 disposals.
D’Aloia’s consistency throughout the tournament was rewarded after being named SA’s Most Valuable Player.
SA finished its campaign with a 1-3 win-loss record, defeating the Allies in Game 1 by 37 points before succumbing to Victoria Country by two points, Victoria Metro and Western Australia.

Scoreboard​

Western Australia 4.2 7.6 9.7 15.10 (100)
South Australia 3.1 5.3 8.6 12.8 (80)

BEST – SA: Ashton Moir, Tyson Walls, Harry Barnett, Adam D’Aloia, Will Patton, Jakob Ryan
GOALS – SA: Ashton Moir 4, Will Verrall 2, Adam D’Aloia, Kobe Ryan, Archie Lovelock, Mattaes Phillipou, Shaun Bennier, Isaac Keeler
At Pentanet Stadium, Joondalup, Perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't one of these (Scully?) rated as a top 10 pick before this season started?
Lemmey was rated a a no 1 contender and then Scully burst onto the scene with big bags of goals early in season in sanfl U18s

In the end Bamford didn’t even pick Scully in the first 3x SA nationals games and then dropped Lemmey for Scully in the last game

Lemmey was rated a a no 1 contender and then Scully burst onto the scene with big bags of goals early in season in sanfl U18s

In the end Bamford didn’t even pick Scully in the first 3x SA nationals games and then dropped Lemmey for Scully in the last game
I thought it was the other way around..................

Hasn't Lemmey been injured which is why his stocks have fallen?

I thought it was the other way around..................

Hasn't Lemmey been injured which is why his stocks have fallen?
Was interrupted with illness mainly I think , covid break then a few setbacks . Has got some excuses

Has looked miles off pace in games I’ve seen even from an ability to compete viewpoint

I still think we need a KPP somewhere in the main and/or rookie draft, preferably a ruck or a KPF, but I'm not so sure it should come with a first or second rounder, particularly with guys like Lemmey, Scully, Broadbent etc falling down boards in a big way

I'd take Barnett if we traded our 2023 2nd into this year and took two second-round picks into the draft, but right now I'd probably be more willing to take a punt on a Will Verrall or a Phoenix Foster late/rookie

FYI for those interested here's a table showing PMBangers draft rankings (from his top 20) of the top-end SA kids and how they've changed so far over the course of the season.

PMBangers' 2022 Draft Rankings
Player (Club)14-Mar-221-May-225-Jun-223-Jul-22
Harry Lemmey (West Adelaide)34716
Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide)8717not listed
Harry Barnett (West Adelaide)14not listednot listed20
Adam D'Aloia (WWT Eagles)19not listednot listednot listed
Tom Scully (West Adelaide)not listed1314not listed
Mattaes Phillipou (WWT Eagles)not listed1698
Jakob Ryan (Glenelg)not listed1719not listed
Anthony Munkara (West Adelaide)not listednot listed20not listed
Isaac Keelernot listednot listednot listed13
Source: Draft Expert - PMBangers' 2022 Draft Board

FYI for those interested here's a table showing PMBangers draft rankings (from his top 20) of the top-end SA kids and how they've changed so far over the course of the season.

PMBangers' 2022 Draft Rankings
Player (Club)14-Mar-221-May-225-Jun-223-Jul-22
Harry Lemmey (West Adelaide)34716
Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide)8717not listed
Harry Barnett (West Adelaide)14not listednot listed20
Adam D'Aloia (WWT Eagles)19not listednot listednot listed
Tom Scully (West Adelaide)not listed1314not listed
Mattaes Phillipou (WWT Eagles)not listed1698
Jakob Ryan (Glenelg)not listed1719not listed
Anthony Munkara (West Adelaide)not listednot listed20not listed
Isaac Keelernot listednot listednot listed13
Source: Draft Expert - PMBangers' 2022 Draft Board
Jakob Ryan will be back in for August, had a good Champs imo

I still think we need a KPP somewhere in the main and/or rookie draft, preferably a ruck or a KPF, but I'm not so sure it should come with a first or second rounder, particularly with guys like Lemmey, Scully, Broadbent etc falling down boards in a big way

I'd take Barnett if we traded our 2023 2nd into this year and took two second-round picks into the draft, but right now I'd probably be more willing to take a punt on a Will Verrall or a Phoenix Foster late/rookie
How different we would be looking now if we had English and TT.

Had a shocker against Sydney but his 2 previous games v hawks and pies were v good , 2 of the better games of his career ( after his debut )

Will work on his set shot goalkicking over summer
Pack marking is what I would like to see him work on, position himself to centre the ball, not reaching from the side

Pack marking is what I would like to see him work on, position himself to centre the ball, not reaching from the side
Yeah this is what will really elevate his game. Has the clean skills and smarts for someone of his height, just needs to kick straighter for goal and clunk those marks

Hopefully that comes over time

Drafting a young ruck is the minimum, or least a ruck/forward who could ruck for 60-70% game time and share duties with Thilthorpe.

I'd be interested in taking another tall forward with a later pick, but we might get away with waiting for another draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back