• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once we were relying on Dodoro, it was never a realistic opportunity! ;)

It's why I said prior to draft night I was confident we would not be trading back into the 1st round.
Yep I don’t think anyone thought it was going to happen , it was more the point that we were trying

Still a future 1st rounder ( possible top 5) on table in strong draft might have tempted someone

In the end the top 11 or 12 of this draft was rated highly by clubs , wasn’t a draft of depth though

Our lead up meetings and talk suggest we didn't think it was a little flutter. Unfortunately Dodoro treated it as such.
honestly if i were dodoro i would have said no deal to that as well

i expect us to do a lot better than most people think. so it would have been more pick 10/11 and pick 20. dodoro might be thinking the same.

The most disappointing thing for me is the way GCS threw away pick 7, not traded away thrown away to get rid of a player (an academy player no less) despite crying about losing players to their home state.

Surely we could have done pick 5 and a future first for Rankine and 7.

We’d have Phillipou and Rankine and GCS could have used our future first to help Geelong out in their rebuild 🤬

The most disappointing thing for me is the way GCS threw away pick 7, not traded away thrown away to get rid of a player (an academy player no less) despite crying about losing players to their home state.

Surely we could have done pick 5 and a future first for Rankine and 7.

We’d have Phillipou and Rankine and GCS could have used our future first to help Geelong out in their rebuild 🤬
If only Bowes wanted to come to the crows. It could have been 5 for Bowes, Rankine and Phillipou

Yep I don’t think anyone thought it was going to happen , it was more the point that we were trying

Still a future 1st rounder ( possible top 5) on table in strong draft might have tempted someone

In the end the top 11 or 12 of this draft was rated highly by clubs , wasn’t a draft of depth though

Bottom line if we were really serious on Phillipou we needed GC to make the Rankine deal part of the Bowes deal - where Geelong accept our future first instead of 7 from GC

That was always the only way we would have been able to get Phillipou

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bottom line if we were really serious on Phillipou we needed GC to make the Rankine deal part of the Bowes deal - where Geelong accept our future first instead of 7 from GC

That was always the only way we would have been able to get Phillipou

Putting aside everything else that was going on, I think we showed our hand way too early in the trade period by saying that 5 was on the table. Nothing wrong with playing some hardball.

That's not to say Rankine isn't worth 5, he definitely is, just that we should always be looking to extract the most value possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside everything else that was going on, I think we showed our hand way too early in the trade period by saying that 5 was on the table. Nothing wrong with playing some hardball.

That's not to say Rankine isn't worth 5, he definitely is, just that we should always be looking to extract the most value possible.

It confuses me but the only take I have on that is we were not that keen on Phillipou at that stage and perhaps with further interviews for keen but had already picked ourselves in. As soon as GC revealed they were hitching a top draft pick to Bowes we surely could have insisted it’s our future instead?

It’s the oddest trade deal Reid has made in my view given the publicity that we wanted to go after Phillipou

Yep, really weird way of going into a trade period.

Now seeing next years first was up for grabs, we should have been able to retain 5, Gold Coast retain 7 and they give our 2023 first to Geelong as part of the Bowes deal. There’s no way Geelong would walk away from that.

Hell we could have swapped 5 & 7 if Gold Coast were being pricks.

There really is no excuse to have done what we done, the talk of priority is just fluff. The main trade targets for any club are the priority, but that doesn’t see them cave in so quickly.

You mentioned Reid was late in coming over to Phillipou, I’m guessing he wasn’t sold at the start of the trade period? If that’s the case and he then was prepared to offer up our 2023 first and Norths second, that’s a costly about face.

It’s time we have a change in our recruiting department, all other areas have been cleaned out except those 2.

You mentioned Reid was late in coming over to Phillipou, I’m guessing he wasn’t sold at the start of the trade period? If that’s the case and he then was prepared to offer up our 2023 first and Norths second, that’s a costly about face.

It’s time we have a change in our recruiting department, all other areas have been cleaned out except those 2.
Re Reid, putting two and two together from my info and what Volbeat was saying.

Now seeing next years first was up for grabs, we should have been able to retain 5, Gold Coast retain 7 and they give our 2023 first to Geelong as part of the Bowes deal. There’s no way Geelong would walk away from that.

There really is no excuse to have done what we done, the talk of priority is just fluff. The main trade targets for any club are the priority, but that doesn’t see them cave in so quickly.

Poor planning for sure , lack of foresight of overall picture

Poor planning for sure , lack of foresight of overall picture
I just get back to looking down the road and what their recruitment team pulled off. They looked for all the world to not have the currency to get not just JHF but Junior Rioli and instead of settling for missing JHF, they left absolutely no stone unturned it seems until they cracked it and got both players and that is the sort of ruthless streak I am not seeing.Now it may be that our team did do a lot of exploring, but GK above outlined a possible workaround that on the face of it looked well within reach. I want to hear from our team openly on just how much they pushed the boat out to bring home not just Izak but to try and get Phillipou and why they went so early on pick 5 being on the table.

As soon as we put #5 on the table for Rankine, we were buggar all chance of getting Phillipou.

The priority for Rankine was not fluff and never was as TAFKATMS I'm sure has mentioned.

People that have genuine Intel however small will become more and more reluctant to share on here will be the outcome.

I could have posted that we had shown very genuine interest in High Bond quite late in the piece though with the draft hand we held I was doubtful how we would nab him.

I'm not bullshitting because I shared it with Jeffcrowe and Danger in Texas at the time.

... I want to hear from our team openly on just how much they pushed the boat out to bring home not just Izak but to try and get Phillipou and why they went so early on pick 5 being on the table.
People keep saying we went early on putting pick 5 on the table but there was nearly a month and a half from when it was in the press that Izak wants a trade to Crows and the start of trade week ... would have thought the list managers would have been in negotiations in that time? But yeah, I'm a bit perplexed by the way things turned out.

The priority for Rankine was not fluff and never was as TAFKATMS I'm sure has mentioned.

People that have genuine Intel however small will become more and more reluctant to share on here will be the outcome.

I could have posted that we had shown very genuine interest in High Bond quite late in the piece though with the draft hand we held I was doubtful how we would nab him.

I'm not bullshitting because I shared it with Jeffcrowe and Danger in Texas at the time.
You are missing my point. I’m not saying the intel was fluff but the rationale by Reid is fluff.

Sure Rankine was our priority, just like most key trade targets. Do you hear all clubs come out and say “he’s our priority, here take our best offer” before trade period has even started?

I gave a trade scenario that any competent list manager could have got done and you know it. A way we could have got Rankine and Phillipou and not even offered a prized second rounder.

You are missing my point. I’m not saying the intel was fluff but the rationale by Reid is fluff.

Sure Rankine was our priority, just like most key trade targets. Do you hear all clubs come out and say “he’s our priority, here take our best offer” before trade period has even started?

I gave a trade scenario that any competent list manager could have got done and you know it. A way we could have got Rankine and Phillipou and not even offered a prized second rounder.
And you know that Gold Coast Suns would have rolled over because it was you not Justin in the room....yeah right.

As for posters sharing intel and getting mocked, you’ve been guilty of that in the past, this time you’ve got some intel and it’s, let’s protect the poster.

I shared we weren’t getting pick 2 for Crouch and I’m pretty sure you jumped in on the pile on and I was right.

And you know that Gold Coast Suns would have rolled over because it was you not Justin in the room....yeah right.
Why wouldn’t they? They get pick 5, Geelong would have taken our first next year and Bowes, no way are they walking away from that.

As for rolling over, we did, before the trade period even started.

But hey, keep defending the club’s incompetence.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back