Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate it cause there's some good quotes like
"
When you're good at something. You'll tell everyone.
When you're great at something. Everyone will tell you.
"

But i also love this confidence, **** IM TORN!

Does anyone else like the look of Isaac Keeler? If we take Phillipou at 6(7), Keelers another SA boy who looks good. If we get 22 from the dons it'd also allow us to draft another mid/fwd like Paul George.

This crop of draftees saying similar things about rating themselves as their pick 1 is definitely interesting. We all read US media in Australia, so it does seem natural that it would catch on among our young gun footballers eventually.

JHF is still saying it even after not being up to take an ice bath.

I see both sides of it, you love confidence in a young player. Phillipou was massively inarticulate in explaining himself, but he’s young enough to forgive, and has crazy ability and physical makeup.

But I also see the potential for a repeat of the Mitch Thorp best player in the comp paradox, where the more they say it, the more cringeworthy it sounds because everyone’s working out they’re not even AFL quality.

Last edited:
Give me the player that says

"My draft position doesn't mean anything. It's the number premierships we win that matters. That's what I am about... Winning!"

I tend to agree, if you're thinking about yourself and where you should be picked, your eye isn't on the right goal. Successful people with massive drive tend to look a bit further ahead than what's right in front of them.

Give me the player that says

"My draft position doesn't mean anything. It's the number premierships we win that matters. That's what I am about... Winning!"

That's pretty much a scripted line that their agents, etc, would be telling them to use. I prefer players to show some personality.

At the end of the day saying these kinds of things means nothing if they don't show the endeavour and work ethic off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This crop of draftees saying similar things about rating themselves as their pick 1 is definitely interesting. We all read US media in Australia, so it does seem natural that it would catch on among our young gun footballers eventually.

JHF is still saying even after not being up to take an ice bath.

I see both sides of it, you love confidence in a young player. Phillipou was massively inarticulate in explaining himself, but he’s young enough to forgive, and has crazy ability and physical makeup.

But I also see the potential for a repeat of the Mitch Thorp best player in the comp paradox, where the more they say it, the more cringeworthy it sounds because everyone’s working out you’re not even AFL quality.
Confidence is never a problem. Laziness, selfishness and a bad attitude is. That is JHF's issue, not his confidence, same as Mitch Thorp. Daicos is just as confident as JHF(perhaps even more), but he works hard to back that up and prove himself and his teammates love him for it. Self confidence is fine and in actual fact, necessary for elite performance in any field.

I'd suggest most of the kids who are touted to go top 10 secretly consider themselves the best of the lot.

If there's a red flag with Phllipou saying what he did it's the lack of awareness in how not to answer that type of question in the Australian sporting media to avoid negative attention. But that will come with some media training once he lands at a club. Then he'll be another robot giving "full credit to the boys" and being "just happy to get the 4 points". Allowing us to focus on the important issues like if a player is really 193cm or 195cm.

I think its best we don't draft anyone at pick 6(7) for fear that they might say something anyone over 30 will scream "arrogant".

Different generation. Better trying to understand the normallness to Phillipou's comments as opposed to imposing one's own outdated feelings how a teenager should respond in 2022.

No issues with Phillipou's comments. Questioning his character because of it is wild.

Last edited:
All the very best sports people on the planet have extraordinary self belief.
It is what makes them the best.

Federer
Nadal
Williams
Woods

Crawford had it.
Buddy has it.
Buckley had it.

Self belief is often the biggest limiter of performance.

Nothing wrong with it at this level.

Confidence is never a problem. Laziness, selfishness and a bad attitude is. That is JHF's issue, not his confidence, same as Mitch Thorp. Daicos is just as confident as JHF(perhaps even more), but he works hard to back that up and prove himself and his teammates love him for it. Self confidence is fine and in actual fact, necessary for elite performance in any field.

Self confidence is great, but your drive has to be superhuman if you really want to be a true high achiever in your field. I'm sure Sammy and Hodge were both more driven than they were confident. And those guys are plenty confident, no doubt.

Jordan is the obvious comparison to make. He was extremely self confident, but even more driven – to the point that he seems almost unbearable to be around.

Confidence only gets you so far without drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back