Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched some highlights today..

Id love Humphrey.

Same. I think we will be able to have one of Phillipou, Mackenzie, Humphrey or Clark, which is a good result.

Hopefully we can move up the order, though it seems unlikely to me. But if we could then we may be able to snag George.

This is a very boring, bland, and shallow draft.
We take the highest pick possible and stop with the minimum of 3.
Zero point in splitting our first to take 2 more less talented players.
I'd rather we save the spot for the mid-season draft.
Some of these guys might benefit from another 6 months in the system and we are likely to have a very early pick.

id say it’s more his hyper competitiveness which was a factor in his success but it’s not really a virtuous quality in someone’s personality, hence people saying he was an arseh*le. Lebron is proof you can be a nice guy and still dominate.

Absolutely agree here, people confuse athlete's confidence or doucheyness as being relative to their ability somehow. It's the competitive streak and drive to be better at all costs that makes a player great. Too much swag and being a dick doesn't need to be part of the toolkit, that stuff is optional.

Would we at all consider swapping #6
for #14 and #17 (with Sydney) who want an earlier pick?

I'm not totally against it to he honest.
It depends who you get that’s the hard bit. I’m confident at 17 we get a good player of need like hotton hollands or George. weirdly I think 14 is the problem I think it’s a few picks later than we need to secure Philippou Humphrey or Jefferson. If we got one of each of those 3 at those picks then I would do the deal.

id say it’s more his hyper competitiveness which was a factor in his success but it’s not really a virtuous quality in someone’s personality, hence people saying he was an arseh*le. Lebron is proof you can be a nice guy and still dominate.
It’s also different eras in terms of media training / profile / expectations / management.

Lots of guys today may be assholes off the field / court but trained to hide it in media. And people lap up the BS.

Some of these guys might benefit from another 6 months in the system and we are likely to have a very early pick.

I'm starting to think the same as you about the draft being bland. Except The more I watch of the players around pick 6 the less excited I am. And I'd be open to trading 6 to slide back and try get back into the first round next year possibly with bulldogs or Carlton.

Still a chance of getting someone like Clarke or phillipou, if not hotton, Hollands, Hewitt, George are all options for us . Then we take 2 firsts and 2 seconds into next year.

Before the year started there was a lot of hype around the SA prospects. Ryan, D'Aloia, Lemmey, Keeler, Barnett, Ryan. They were all supposed to be filling out the first round and presumably dragging some of their class with them. Since they've had to test themselves against Vic and WA, that cohort has looked much weaker.

Before the year started there was a lot of hype around the SA prospects. Ryan, D'Aloia, Lemmey, Keeler, Barnett, Ryan. They were all supposed to be filling out the first round and presumably dragging some of their class with them. Since they've had to test themselves against Vic and WA, that cohort has looked much weaker.
I think this happens most years as the SA u/18 comp is very weak/patchy - so excitement of SA performances hits reality of playing against peers in better comps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd really like us to get Jovan Petric with a late pick or rookie if he slips through.
Just has something about him, 196/89 and kicked 25 NAB goals.

I think the bit I’ve bolded is more confidence. Arrogance would be more showing/telling everyone in the room you are the best player.

Confidence is internal, arrogance external.
If you want to know the difference to be being good and being great watch the Netflix Doco about the 2014 US Olympic Basketball Team. Especially the bit when the Team is coming home from partying all night at 5am and pass Kobe Heading to the gym instead, and how that example changes their mind set.

Anthony Munkara anyone?
Bombers have committed to him, but he’s got to get to Pick 40 first.

Have heard that there definitely is a belief among clubs that the Bombers have tried to hide him, as well as he had some family issues this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back