Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T
Won't be surprised if we select Ginbey. Not a lot of fans on this board but very very high ceiling.

Contested ball winners that are 189cm and have elite sprinting, elite endurance and elite verticals -

Shame his kicking is Josh Goater levels
We got cooper who could provide us with what ginbey could. Need something different, top end inside mid.

We also have Ned Long. I'm guessing, however, he won't be on our list unless he steps up in 2023. Hope he surprises !!!

After last year's drafting, I'm absolutely comfortable in whoever the club selects at pick 6 (7).

Mackenzie and Clarke seem the safe picks. But I'd prefer Humphrey or Phillipou given that we need to find our own version of a Dusty, Fyfe, Danger, Trac or JDG that can challenge sides playing forward also.

Newcombe and Ward are going to be pretty much exclusively playing midfield. Hopefully Worpel shows his very best again this year as a mid (he's cactus elsewhere). I'm also hopeful Finn is following a Touk Miller path from tagger to two way mid. CMAC seriously has some Simon Black attributes to roll through there.

I really want us to find that "striker" type mid. Phillipou and Humphrey seem our best chance in this draft. I love Humphrey personally. Kicking needs work, but he has a bit of Danger power and seems super dangerous overhead in the forward 50. A match winner ability.

Although we will highly likely be bottom six or worse in 2023, we cannot expect that we will land Reid.

Last edited:

T

We also have Ned Long. I'm guessing, however, he won't be on our list unless he steps up in 2023. Hope he surprises !!!
Pretty sure ginbey is a level above in talent of stephens and especially Ned long. Outside Wardlaw is there a better potential contested beast than ginbey? It’s risky but in a lot of ways if it works is going to push us along a lot more than a McKenzie type Ie fix our contested ball issue and free up Jai, Ward, McDonald etc to be damaging receivers.

So easy to go back and forth between he and the Pou. McJenzie looked super sharp in the biggest game of the Chapiomships, his decision making and breakaway burst of speed are obvious. I’m not unhappy with either of them. The better players will be gone, but they’ve both got standout abilities and are the exact type we need (tall, quick, midfielders). McKenzie more advanced and cleaner looking kicking technique at this stage. Pou a smoother mover.
Mackenzie definitely seems like the type footballer Sammy Mitchell would like to work with. Seems to see the game play out as he can get it moving by hand pretty well out of the coal face. It's definitely something we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Keeler and George both still available at our 2nd that would be an interesting choice. Shame we didn’t get 25 for Mitchell as getting both could really set up our forward line for the long-term.
Need 22 from the scum - then we might be in with a chance.

If we keep our pick I'm pretty confident tsatas might get to us which would be exciting. If essendon take Humphrey (dodo loves those types) absolutely zero chance goldcoast take tsatas.

I'm none the wiser after that.

Good advertisement for his burst speed, and ability to draw players to him before dishing off a handball. Not the best highlight reel of his kicking/disposal.
Mackenzie definitely seems like the type footballer Sammy Mitchell would like to work with. Seems to see the game play out as he can get it moving by hand pretty well out of the coal face. It's definitely something we need.

A couple of those really attacking forward handballs were eye catching.

But I think he's just got that burst of speed and agility/step to escape a contest which would add another dimension to our midfield. (As a clearance mid McDonald might show that he can also use his pace to do the same when he returns to his U18 position in the midfield). Phillipou will likely get quicker too from where he's at now as a borderline bottom ager. He's still growing into that frame of his.

Granted his ego seems plenty fleshed out already!

Won't go backwards with either player though.

Last edited:
Phillipou/McKenzie this year, Reid Next Year

Sheezel comes home and plays rd 1 2025
Hoping Bombers take Humphrey or Mckenzie and either the suns forget the draft is on and don't turn up or realise Tsatas will be leaving as soon as he can if they draft him and he lands at the Hawks

Hoping Bombers take Humphrey or Mckenzie and either the suns forget the draft is on and don't turn up or realise Tsatas will be leaving as soon as he can if they draft him and he lands at the Hawks
With player retention on everyone's minds, this could eventuate. But remember, some of Gold Coast's best players are currently:

Touk Miller - VICM Calder Cannons
Noah Anderson - VICM Oakleigh
Matt Rowell - VICM Oakleigh
Ben King - VICM Sandringham
Brandon Ellis - VICM Calder Cannons

They don't get better by compromising on talent, especially not Metro talent.

With player retention on everyone's minds, this could eventuate. But remember, some of Gold Coast's best players are currently:

Touk Miller - VICM Calder Cannons
Noah Anderson - VICM Oakleigh
Matt Rowell - VICM Oakleigh
Ben King - VICM Sandringham
Brandon Ellis - VICM Calder Cannons

They don't get better by compromising on talent, especially not Metro talent.
As GWS, GC and Bris have found, there are 2 big triggers that increase the go home factor. Being crap/losing lots of games, and draftees being forced into peripheral roles waiting for main opportunities.
GC have passed the first issue, but are getting to the second issue. They let 4 players have the majority of CBAs last year (Rowell, Anderson, Swallow and Miller). Flanders and Hollands are there waiting for their opportunity.
It’s just whether GC think Tsatsas would wait, or not. Fingers crossed he would.

As GWS, GC and Bris have found, there are 2 big triggers that increase the go home factor. Being crap/losing lots of games, and draftees being forced into peripheral roles waiting for main opportunities.
GC have passed the first issue, but are getting to the second issue. They let 4 players have the majority of CBAs last year (Rowell, Anderson, Swallow and Miller). Flanders and Hollands are there waiting for their opportunity.
It’s just whether GC think Tsatsas would wait, or not. Fingers crossed he would.
Tsatas would be more than serviceable as a wing or seagull halfback at AFL level, but yes you are correct. Swallow shouldn't be getting many CBAs next year, could see him forcing his way in if he's up to it. But just because Tsatas falls through Essendon doesn't mean Gold Coast is gonna turn around and let him through to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back