Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know u should never compare draftees to established players… but ( and i hate to say it… IF the comparison is accurate) clarke ( with the comparison to selwood) is probably the best fit.

What we badly beed is leadership and players to drive training standards up

Clark may just be that man
Pretty sure Clarke won’t be picked in the top 10, we are better off taking the scud or c Mackenzie

Pretty sure Clarke won’t be picked in the top 10, we are better off taking the scud or c Mackenzie

There are few in this draft with the will to improve and drive to win as Clark. I'm taking him every day at 7. The combination of Ward/Clark/CMac/Newcombe (and hopefully Maginness) will not only form the core of our midfield for the next 10+ years but will also set the standards for everybody with their drive to win and professionalism. That's not just on the track but on the field. Watching Clark vs the Jets he's the type of player you want leading your side into battle.

Just need to add one game-breaker in the Petracca/Fyfe/Dusty mould to that group. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited:
1663133957990-png.1507855

Here is a list of the top 55 players in this draft, compiled by Carlton supporter Bletch. He compiled this by taking into account player selections at the National Under-18 Championships, invitations to upcoming combines, and multiple player rankings. Take into consideration that this isn't based on what clubs are thinking. Harvey Gallagher, who isn't on this list, is rumoured to move up as high as the second round as a result of his strong play in the second half of the NAB League season. In addition to the fact that potential picks in the top 55 are not represented on this list, I believe that players like Charlie Clarke, Harry Rowston, Jaxon Binns, and others on this list could be selected with a pick in the 20s. Even though I've previously stated that the draft in 2023 will be superior, I still think this year's class is excellent and has more depth than most people realise.

Agree. Comparisons to Selwood are way off the mark.

The top end class midfielders in this draft in no particular order are McKenzie, Ashcroft, Hewett, Tsitas and Wardlaw. They’ll all be playing round 1 for their respective teams. McKenzie and Hewett will likely be available for us and either are exactly what we need, class, quick and A grade disposal. Leaning towards McKenzie due to local factor.

Last edited:
I asked a recruiter from another club who has a pick before us who I have known a long long time and he said he thinks we will stand pat and take McKenzie. Obviously he wouldn’t have any inside knowledge from Hawthorn and it may just be based on their rankings but interesting nonetheless.

I asked a recruiter from another club who has a pick before us who I have known a long long time and he said he thinks we will stand pat and take McKenzie. Obviously he wouldn’t have any inside knowledge from Hawthorn and it may just be based on their rankings but interesting nonetheless.

I believe this , recruiters do share notes a fair bit. Looking forward to see how he goes in the gf tonight and the champs next week.

Hi All,
Thought I would add my two cents worth (hoping the thread is the most suited)...
Been a hawthorn supporter for 40 years now and after watching almost all of the NAB league replays and state champ clips, thought the most suited players for our Pick 7 would be as follows:

• Bailey Humphrey - We desperately need an explosive mid who can break lines, win in/outside ball and score heavily. He's be my absolute priority.
  • Matteas Phillipou - Love his height and size in there, not quite as we quick but looks like the would give us a great point of difference as mid/forward.

Thats assuming we hold onto pick 6 (7) of course.

Hi All,
Thought I would add my two cents worth (hoping the thread is the most suited)...
Been a hawthorn supporter for 40 years now and after watching almost all of the NAB league replays and state champ clips, thought the most suited players for our Pick 7 would be as follows:

• Bailey Humphrey - We desperately need an explosive mid who can break lines, win in/outside ball and score heavily. He's be my absolute priority.
  • Matteas Phillipou - Love his height and size in there, not quite as we quick but looks like the would give us a great point of difference as mid/forward.

Thinking along those lines, I quite like the look of Hewett as well. Does seem like he’s rated a few spots back but does look like the powerful type that I think we need.

If McKenzie, phillipou, Hewitt are all ranked very similar in our rankings surely the local and mad hawks supporter in McKenzie gets favoured. And Rules out any potential go home factor.

Phillipou has said he would prefer to be drafted by a VIC club im pretty sure or something along those lines.

He said in the interview on Herald Sun draft podcast that moving interstate excites him just as much if not more than staying in SA.
He said the line his manager told him to say.

Not to allude to any go home factor, but that's a line you have to say, especially if you're angling to be a top draft pick with potentially no Adelaide clubs in the mix at the top end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said the line his manager told him to say.

Not to allude to any go home factor, but that's a line you have to say, especially if you're angling to be a top draft pick with potentially no Adelaide clubs in the mix at the top end.

Yeah I definitely agree and get that.

Did you listen to the interview? He was asked a basic question all draftees are asked and could have given a straight bat answer and to say he is happy to go anywhere.

He made a point and took the answer to that of being very enthusiastic and excited about moving interstate. He didn’t need to do that.

If McKenzie, phillipou, Hewitt are all ranked very similar in our rankings surely the local and mad hawks supporter in McKenzie gets favoured. And Rules out any potential go home factor.
Wasn’t aware McKenzie was a Hawks supporter. Always helps with output and performance when you go to a place of work you love.

I‘m getting the feeling McKenzie is the best suited for us. A McKenzie, Ward, CMac and Newcombe midfield is full of class and a good mix of traits and skill, albeit young and inexperienced for now, but I like it a lot.

We can only field 4 core mids in the 22. With Amon on one wing and perhaps someone out of Finn, Bramble, Day, Butler, CJ on the other our midfield will become a strength.

Worpel, O“Meara, Nash, Morrison become the depth. Changing of the guard in full swing, lots to like.

Yeah I definitely agree and get that.

Did you listen to the interview? He was asked a basic question all draftees are asked and could have given a straight bat answer and to say he is happy to go anywhere.

He made a point and took the answer to that of being very enthusiastic and excited about moving interstate. He didn’t need to do that.
I did listen and am happy if we select Phillipou, but the context of the question is important. He wasn't going out of his way to say “I love Melbourne, great place love everything about it really want to play footy there”, he was answering a question with a prepared line.

Remember, even with the faces he pulled on draft day Tanner Bruhn still did a press conference saying how happy he was with being selected by the Giants and his excitement at playing with them all the way through this year.

For what it's worth I believe him, he seems like a genuine kid who loves the footy and thrives on opportunity. But let's not go around confusing player agent press statements with the true feelings of players.

MacKenzie still looks the best at our range IMO.

Phillipou speed/agility a worry for mine.

Clark while not tiny his small frame does worry me.

MaKenzie has class, composure, good ball use, size. Looks to have great acceleration too. Plus the long blonde locks has #5 written all over him.

Hi All,

Humphrey at our first pick scares me as he reminds me of Seamus Mitchell in his draft year

Humphrey at our first pick scares me as he reminds me of Seamus Mitchell in his draft year

In what way?

I hadn't heard of Seamus Mitchell until we called his name out.

Humphrey is now top 10 in a lot of reputable phantoms.

I don't believe they play similarly either.

1663133957990-png.1507855

Here is a list of the top 55 players in this draft, compiled by Carlton supporter Bletch. He compiled this by taking into account player selections at the National Under-18 Championships, invitations to upcoming combines, and multiple player rankings. Take into consideration that this isn't based on what clubs are thinking. Harvey Gallagher, who isn't on this list, is rumoured to move up as high as the second round as a result of his strong play in the second half of the NAB League season. In addition to the fact that potential picks in the top 55 are not represented on this list, I believe that players like Charlie Clarke, Harry Rowston, Jaxon Binns, and others on this list could be selected with a pick in the 20s. Even though I've previously stated that the draft in 2023 will be superior, I still think this year's class is excellent and has more depth than most people realise.

Thanks for sharing !!

Intersting if Busslinger is available with our first pick if we go with him, given it does not look like Denver is gorilla key defender material.... or if we go best on-ball mid available, as most would expect.

Did you watch both players blindfolded?

Seamus was a high half forward who had dazzling speed, class and skill.

Humphrey is a big bodied mid-fwd, great marking ability, pretty decent kick on both feet, explosive, strong and a good contested game.

Completely and utterly different.

Wasn’t aware McKenzie was a Hawks supporter. Always helps with output and performance when you go to a place of work you love.

I‘m getting the feeling McKenzie is the best suited for us. A McKenzie, Ward, CMac and Newcombe midfield is full of class and a good mix of traits and skill, albeit young and inexperienced for now, but I like it a lot.

We can only field 4 core mids in the 22. With Amon on one wing and perhaps someone out of Finn, Bramble, Day, Butler, CJ on the other our midfield will become a strength.

Worpel, O“Meara, Nash, Morrison become the depth. Changing of the guard in full swing, lots to like.

C MacDonald and C Mackenzie.
CMac1 and CMac2.
We all enjoy a Mac-attack.

Make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back