Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't have much belief we can snag pick 22 though. Teams are gunning for Pick 19 from GWS and when they fail, they will just move on to the next and will give dons some good options if a Davey bid comes up.

Who is that kid?

Hopefully we give it a good crack. How sure are you that WBD will be bidding on Davey though?

One thing to consider is that Will McCabe is projecting as a late first/early second selection next year. So the picks we had may have been eaten up regardless.

Trade in, get a player we like and we still have a second and a third next year for points (linked to WB).

Lots can change, Jeka was projected as a 1st rounder 12 months before his draft, I hope this had zero impact on why we gave away what we did.

Going into the next phase of the draft, a few who could go early

Lewis Hayes - KPD
Olli Hotton - Wing/hff
Charlie Clarke - sml forw
Brayden George - med forw
Cody Burgiel - mid/utility
Al Davey Jnr - mid/sml forw
Noah Long - mid/sml forw
Mitch Szybkowski - mid
Isaac Keeler - Ruck/KPF
Harry Barnett - Ruck/KPD
Jakob Ryan - hbf/hff
Jed Hagan - utility/mid
Kaleb Smith - wing/hbf
Anthony Munkara - med forw
Tom McCallum - hbf
Brandon Leary - sml forw
Blake Drury - mid/sml forw
Jonti Schuback - hbf
Jaiden Magor - mid/forw
Adam D'Aloia - mid
Lachlan Cowan - hbf
Max Gruzewski - KPD

Just to name a few. (Henry Hustwaite is also a player that has been named as potentially a high pick, but I would let another club pick him)

Last edited:
“After drafting Rowston at Pick 16, foxfooty.com.au understands the Giants would’ve strongly considered taking Victorian defender Josh Weddle with their next selection. But the Swans’ decision to strike a trade with Hawthorn – which saw the Hawks get back into the first round and take Weddle – dashed those hopes, with the Giants instead landing on WA’s Darcy Jones with Pick 21.”

Giant trade offer snub looms after Swans’ sneaky games; up to eight clubs in key back market: Draft late mail

Out of all the highlights ive seen, Geelong’s rort of a pick looks the worst and biggest reach. Shades of norths pick 3 selection a couple of years back.

Will be tough going for the smaller clearance players in the next 10 years.

I think there's always going to be room for the really combustible types, like Prestia from Richmond, who at his peak completed that team's midfield and sent them into orbit.

But if you're one paced, or just really good at trying your guts out consistently to win through effort, the opportunities aren't going to be what they were as it becomes more and more land of the giants in there.

Lewis Hayes - KPD
Olli Hotton - Wing/hff
Noah Long - mid/sml forw
Mitch Szybkowski - mid
Isaac Keeler - Ruck/KPF
Harry Barnett - Ruck/KPD
Jakob Ryan - hbf/hff
Jed Hagan - utility/mid
Kaleb Smith - wing/hbf
Tom McCallum - hbf
Brandon Leary - sml forw
Jonti Schuback - hbf
Jaiden Magor - mid/forw
Adam D'Aloia - mid
Lachlan Cowan - hbf

Just to name a few. (Henry Hustwaite is also a player that has been named as potentially a high pick, but I would let another club pick him)

When you look at those names it really does show how even this next stage of th3 draft is. Wouldn't say any player really stands out from the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis Hayes - KPD
Olli Hotton - Wing/hff
Noah Long - mid/sml forw
Mitch Szybkowski - mid
Isaac Keeler - Ruck/KPF
Harry Barnett - Ruck/KPD
Jakob Ryan - hbf/hff
Jed Hagan - utility/mid
Kaleb Smith - wing/hbf
Tom McCallum - hbf
Brandon Leary - sml forw
Jonti Schuback - hbf
Jaiden Magor - mid/forw
Adam D'Aloia - mid
Lachlan Cowan - hbf
Max Gruzewski - KPD

We any chance of Drury Davo27?
Do you rate him?

Olli Hotton - Wing/hff
Noah Long - mid/sml forw
Mitch Szybkowski - mid
Isaac Keeler - Ruck/KPF
Jakob Ryan - hbf/hff
Jed Hagan - utility/mid
Kaleb Smith
Brandon Leary - sml forw
Jaiden Magor - mid/forw
Adam D'Aloia - mid
Max Gruzewski - KPD
Harvey Gallagher - small utility
Billy Dowling - mid

Olli Hotton - Wing/hff

Noah Long - mid/sml forw

Mitch Szybkowski - mid

Isaac Keeler - Ruck/KPF

Jakob Ryan - hbf/hff

Jed Hagan - utility/mid

Kaleb Smith

Brandon Leary - sml forw

Jaiden Magor - mid/forw

Adam D'Aloia - mid

Max Gruzewski - KPD

Billy Dowling - mid

I edited this list into my own selfish group of players I hope we looking to pick from.

I think there's always going to be room for the really combustible types, like Prestia from Richmond, who at his peak completed that team's midfield and sent them into orbit.

But if you're one paced, or just really good at trying your guts out consistently to win through effort, the opportunities aren't going to be what they were as it becomes more and more land of the giants in there.
Definitely, just that land of the giants aspect is already here and set plays with midfields are only becoming more professional I don’t see much room for those types long term (they would have to be very very good)

I’m probably wrong but thought that was the biggest reach of the top 10 due to location.

Ginbey looks a star

“After drafting Rowston at Pick 16, foxfooty.com.au understands the Giants would’ve strongly considered taking Victorian defender Josh Weddle with their next selection. But the Swans’ decision to strike a trade with Hawthorn – which saw the Hawks get back into the first round and take Weddle – dashed those hopes, with the Giants instead landing on WA’s Darcy Jones with Pick 21.”

Giant trade offer snub looms after Swans’ sneaky games; up to eight clubs in key back market: Draft late mail
WTF I love the swans now

Sleeping with the enemy 🤮

Olli Hotton - Wing/hff

Noah Long - mid/sml forw

Mitch Szybkowski - mid

Isaac Keeler - Ruck/KPF

Jakob Ryan - hbf/hff

Jed Hagan - utility/mid

Kaleb Smith

Brandon Leary - sml forw

Jaiden Magor - mid/forw

Adam D'Aloia - mid

Max Gruzewski - KPD

Billy Dowling - mid

I edited this list into my own selfish group of players I hope we looking to pick from.
You reminded me of a few I missed out on

James Van Es
Harvey Gallagher
Sam Gilbey
Will Dowling

If I was picking, I would go Munkara at 37 and Brandon Leary at 45, then Vickery with a matched bid. (I think by 37 a lot of the better midfield or kpp options will be gone)

Then rookie Seamus like was the plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back