List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

As well as Souup, another I’ve come across who’s posts make for extremely interesting reading are that of WCE_Phil, from the West Coast board.

Another who is apparently scouting for an AFL club (over this side of the country), and has been heavily involved in interview processes.

His comments about how Pou and Hewett interviewed are very interesting, if you take him on his word (and if he’s making it all up, he’s gone to an awful lot of trouble to do so, with lots of very detailed posts).

Here are some tidbits from his posts

“I've interviewed (well been in interviews) with Phillipou, his family and with Hewett. People need to remember Phillipou is 17 and not incredibly mature.

He is very confident about his ability.
He can come across as arrogant but I personally didn't read that in him, it was more just how he speaks.
He is the type who will either get 110% out of his ability or be a bust. I worry about his professionalism but that is more maturity and age related and I think it will sort itself out in a club environment. Or he could get depressed in not knowing he's the best and fall apart.
His family drinks his bathwater.
He is a confidence player who is brilliant enough to drag his team over the line.
His football particularly without the back injury speaks for itself. He is a top 3 talent in this draft factoring in for age and maturity. Would I draft him at 8 or 12. Absolutely.
(I was interviewing for an eastern states club)
I think he slides. Back injury and personality but from top 3 to 8-15

Hewett is overly confident and does come across as cracking the shits when things aren't going his way. But he uses it to try and focus and improve. Similar to Yeo.
He has had issues but has matured a lot over the year.
He is very close to his family
He is an on field leader who with confidence will drag his team over the line.
He is imo a flight risk.
I think he slides from top 5 to 18-25.
I would happily draft him at 12 or 20

My player rankings based purely on raw talent accounting for age (not where they will be drafted and I have Lemmey remove for reasons I won't answer)

1. Wardlaw
2. Phillipou
3. Sheezel
4. Hewett
5. Keeler
6. Busslinger
7. Mackenzie
8. Ashcroft
9. George
10. Humphrey”

“Hewett has had some character related rumours and issues during the year as well as not dominating. If he was dominating he would go top 5, I consider him in the top 5 talents in the draft group.”

“Hewett is a top 10 talent who has had some issues this year. Mind you if he was playing WAFL colts all season he would have been absolutely dominant.

Didn't interview great at the combine and is definitely down on fitness/application this year imo. He gets marked down by a lot because of his dominance last year yet it didn't seem to translate to the higher level as much as expected.

There are also rumours of outside issues however I have no proof of this and he interviewed well. Did give body impressions and slight reads about wanting to stay in WA when I was in the interview. It's why I think he potentially drops.”

“On talent I still have it Wardlaw, Sheezel, Keeler on pure talent but I wouldn't pick keeler before our third pick unless every single one of the potential mids i'm interested in are gone.

Tsatas is a second touch player who struggles with kicking under pressure and at speed. Gets a * load of the ball though and makes good decisions. A faster, less accurate Jack Macrae. Off my list

Cadman including OOF stats and shorts that didn't make the distance / rushed kicked at under 50% at goal this year. Off the list even if there at 20. In contested situations his ball drop to his foot and field kicking isn't great. To me he's more the big bodied contested mid and great mark who can kick goals but thats a big ******* risk with his disposal. If we had Paul Salmon in the goal square sure.

I like back injuries (particularly if you've seen him try to bend down and reach for the ball since) in juniors about as much as people liked Aids in the 80's. I'm worried about Philippou.

Hewett is too laconic for my tastes and I don't see the hardness to break a tag. His best is unreal but he's almost as much of a tease as Keeler.

Mackenzie. Needs more consistency but unlike Hewett I can see that competitive edge. (we'll see how he goes this weekend, if he plays a full game like he played the first half last weekend I'd take him at pick 2 without any of the above reservations)”

“I've seen Ginbey since he was 14. He's played midfield and HF for Dusborough as a junior, then backline mainly at WAFL with spurts in the midfield and HF (earlier). He has never been high production and his outstanding combine stats have in my reading told me that is a lack of play reading ability and footballing IQ. The closest comparison of an athletically gifted midfielder who lacked inside nous is yeo. However Yeo was always outstanding at reading the play in the back half and had to basically follow key midfielders for 2 years before becoming a strong mid himself. I'd say there's a 10% chance you get a yeo level mid without the aerial prowess, a 40% chance you get a serviceable AFL player and 50% complete bust.”

“Allan like Ginbey has a high ceiling but we're not talking 1-2 questions marks we're talking multiple, and as a club WCE has been horrendous at developing midfield talent for years. Speculative picks like this are not where I want the club heading.”

“There's a Key Defender who although different is on par maybe slightly ahead of Gibcus last year.

None of the key forwards are anywhere near the class of Amiss

Tsatas isn't on the level of Callaghan, doesn't have the penetration or precision of kicking. Has also already had a stress fracture injury to his feet.

Hewett is similar to Erasmus, i'd say better kicking but lower production

Ward is a level above the second tier of Midfield talent which all really fits into the 10-20 bracket of last years draft imo.

Phillipou has back issues but has a really high ceiling and if fully fit all year would be a top 2 pick but back issues in a junior who hasn't had a huge growth spurt is a major turn off. It's a huge red flag even though he is the only other mid prospect at or above the level of Ward. Or he's a week older, recovers from the back issue and is a top 3 rated pick next year.....
Jhye Clark is like Andrew Brayshaw lite. His kicking isn't as good and he isn't a real standout.

There are no true standout HBF prospects like last year

There is no-one with the outside class of Wanganeen-Milera”

And they were just from some of his posts that I searched for where he mentioned or was responding to posts that mentioned Hewett.
Thanks for this insight. Genuine or not (and it seems pretty real) it's incredibly detailed.

Some more tidbits from WCE_phil, for those interested:

Burgiel is a mid who can play forward primarily but he can play all over the ground. It's why i prefer him to a couple of others who are more forwards who can play mid etc. If he's there at our fourth pick i'd love him. Third pick if other options are off the table.”

“Just on Busslinger I dont have that as a concern. I actually think the future requires 1 genuine big lockdown key defender and then a couple of guys like Bazzo and Busslinger who can float, read the play as well as forwards (or in the Bus's case better than almost all forwards) and then intercept or bring the ball to ground. You then need 1 lockdown small on the ground and two run, kick and carry HBF's. Busslinger at 197 with the footskills and playreading of an elite HB is a huge tick from me. He as you know was my safety pick at 2. I also wouldn't write off his ability to play man on man yet either. From what is reported to me his shoulder affected pretty much his whole year. So to put in the performances he did before having to go off for surgery was a huge tick for me.”

“I think there will be the same level of talent at 12 as at 8, you just don't have your pick of it. By the way I see busslinger on talent above pick 8.”

“I'll give you a little bit of info. Clark doesn't particularly like the cats. Not to say that means they won't draft him but we'll see.”

“And his kicking even at speed can be pinpoint to a leading player or a player on the run. Mackenzie's only drawback so far is not quite high enough production otherwise he'd be rated in the top 3-5.”

“You can find the rumours but he changed school twice” (Hewett)

“I've been in on an interview with him (Hewett) and he does interview well. Whilst he said the right things when it came to questions about moving interstate his body language stiffened before answering.

Now I know almost no other club is going to have someone like me reading people like that but it's certainly a reason to slide.

He is an on field leader and comes across very composed both on field and in interviews.”

“Yes I do think clubs will be doing it more if they can find someone and fit it under the soft cap. They aren't going to get a full-time psychoanalyst with a football background to do the job. It would cost the same amount as the entire recruiting department discounting the head recruiter.

Of all the WA players interviewed he (Hewett) was the only one with negative triggers in this manner.

Im not going to mention names but a couple of SA players had similar ticks and or subconscious reactions.

Even interviewing Vic players we still ask the moving interstate question as it works as a good baseline for body language and how they respond to other questions.”

“I'll ask you a question Mop. If you were given the opportunity to draft Jared Polec in any year at pick 8, would you? Their junior games are so close it's hard to differentiate. Tsatas slightly quicker, Polec a better kick. Both outside but got a lot inside (mainly as first receiver) on the inside.

He is quick, he gets a lot of the ball but isn't damaging. His stats are like counting Ashcrofts possessions with all the 1-2's he gets.”

“I see him (Humphreys) as a slightly more dynamic SPP without as much midfield experience as a junior. Do not want.”

“Would happily draft Van Es late. But is a pure lockdown and spoil. Can be led around a bit but has been able to overcome that against his peer group with great speed. Has very poor skills. I don't think he lasts to the rookie draft and would only look at him there but only as an option if we don't think Edwards will make it.

Would likely need a few years of development so he is more proactive than reactive and to get more body on body as he will get caught out at AFL level. The problem with Key defenders without great skills now is you have to surround them by guys with elite skills. However he does have a couple of elite AFL characteristics in his speed and jump.”

“In Melbourne, know of at least 4 teams trying to trade up the order and GWS almost certain to sell their pick 19 for an early second this year and a future second.

Not allowed to post much more than that at the moment.”

“Still don't rate Ginbey.

He has come a long way this year but is still reactive around the ball and in particular stoppages and I don't rate his kicking. In a lot of ways he is a spectacular athlete who is a man playing against boys and not putting up numbers representative of that.”

“Arrogance and confidence are great things if they come with leadership. If they can bring leadership to the team and instill that never say die attitude in years to come, absolutely.

I have seen many, many, many times juniors who are overly confident (having been told by everyone they are the best their whole lives) fall apart in the professional environment”

“Not at all. I said months ago the draft wasn't deep and pointed out key areas where it didn't have specific types of players in quantity and quality it normally would have.

Also almost all of the tall talent hasn't come on as expected.”

“No i'm back home in the SW for the next few weeks before heading back. Once the rookie draft is done i'm done with it as well i think. I don't want to move into a permanent role, I don't want to live in Melbourne and even for the head recruiter it's a love not money job. I'm certain almost all of the senior recruiters who have been at clubs a few years could make very good player agents and earn much, much more money.”
Once again, this post is worth repeating; thanks for the work.

Thanks for this insight. Genuine or not (and it seems pretty real) it's incredibly detailed.
Left over from Fox Sports rankings

17. BRAYDEN GEORGE
18. LEWIS HAYES
19. OLLI HOTTON
20. LACHIE COWAN
22. CHARLIE CLARKE
24. JAKOB RYAN
28. ALWYN DAVEY JR
29. HENRY HUSTWAITE
30. COBY BURGIEL
31. MAX GRUZEWSKI
32. HARRY BARNETT
33. SAM GILBEY
34. ETHAN PHILLIPS
35. ISAAC KEELER
36. MITCH SZYBKOWSKI
Can't remember which media source. But it was stated that we have interest in Sam Gilbey.
And if there are knocks on Van Es for his disposal, then you would think Ethan Phillips would appeal, although, he hasn't got the closing speed that is preferred these days.
Isaac Keeler & Ethan Phillips would provide needs, uncertain about whether Gruzewski becomes a key-back or key forward, although he plays a little bit like
Mihocek from the pies.
Would prefer Burgiel, but if he is gone, then Binns with pick 44?, would suffice.
If we miss out on Keeler, then Phoenix Foster shows promise as a KPF-Ruck also.
Maybe Harry Barnett comes into contention in our range, wouldn't hurt, to have two young Ruckman on the list.
With Keeler & Phillipou, we could have the two most talented kids in this draft.

Last edited:
Well selecting the Pou just continues the upward trajectory the club has been on post season. Feel very lucky to have him, exactly the sort of player and character we need. Hopefully we can make some moves and nail these second round picks too. Definitely feels like we've turned a corner, you know what they say, you make your own luck. Exciting times ahead Saints fans!

We’re building not just a team but a brand, and by the time he’s developed to AA grade player we will be playing big games
Even for the start of the new season, there seems to be an irresistible force gathering momentum, the likes of which we haven't seen for a long time. Geez it's only been about six weeks or so but already that talk of our irrelevance is yesterday's news. A couple of nice moves in the later rounds tomorrow and it's amazing how quickly the narrative changes. The faux outrage about ratts will now die thanks to there being something else to write about (draft) and from here on in we put the work in and I think we'll surprise a few next year. Bring it on!

Can't remember which media source. But it was stated that we have interest in Sam Gilbey.
And if there are knocks on Van Es for his disposal, then you would think Ethan Phillips would appeal, although, he hasn't got the closing speed that is preferred these days.
Isaac Keeler & Ethan Phillips would provide needs, uncertain about whether Gruzewski becomes a key-back or key forward, although he plays a little bit like
Mihocek from the pies.
Would prefer Burgiel, but if he is gone, then Binns with pick 44?, would suffice.
If we miss out on Keeler, then Phoenix Foster shows promise as a KPF-Ruck also.
Maybe Harry Barnett comes into contention in our range, wouldn't hurt, to have two young Ruckman on the list.
With Keeler & Phillipou, we could have the two most talented kids in this draft.
And if Steely Green drops out to being a rookie, definitely take him. He's small at 179cm, but is a ferocious tackler & kicks bullett's & can play anywhere. Reminds me of Stevie Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our young guns can take a step up, hopefully we can get Marvel pumping like the 09/10 days again.
This is like the 6th reply being mildly defensive about a throwaway line about big games.

We don’t have Anzac Day, Easter Monday, Queens BDay, Season opener etc etc. That’s all.

Yes we have a diehard loyal supporter base, yes when we were rolling 10 years ago Friday/Saturday nights at colonial were “the shit” but if a draftee is saying they were built for the big stage and big games in Melbourne you’ll forgive me and every other afl supporter if we don’t immediately think St.Kilda over Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton at the G with 80k.

This is like the 6th reply being mildly defensive about a throwaway line about big games.

We don’t have Anzac Day, Easter Monday, Queens BDay, Season opener etc etc. That’s all.

Yes we have a diehard loyal supporter base, yes when we were rolling 10 years ago Friday/Saturday nights at colonial were “the s**t” but if a draftee is saying they were built for the big stage and big games in Melbourne you’ll forgive me and every other afl supporter if we don’t immediately think St.Kilda over Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton at the G with 80k.
To misuse a line from Field of Dreams….If we start winning they will come.

What Hawthorn gave up to get Weddle…wow!

Someone said it was likely to be the equivalent of about pick 4, and that Sydney effectively get about pick 21 next year for free.

Reminds me of what they gave us to get the picks needed to get JOM.

They sure do know how to overpay!

What Hawthorn gave up to get Weddle…wow!

Someone said it was likely to be the equivalent of about pick 4, and that Sydney effectively get about pick 21 next year for free.

Reminds me of what they gave us to get the picks needed to get JOM.

They sure do know how to overpay!
Would really like the club to read out Archie Lovelock (another SA boy) for us with a later pick.

Don't know how to send highlights to the thread, but Caleb Mitchell from the Murray Bushrangers shows some promise as an outside player, mid. or flanks, where he is clever around the goals.

Very happy with Phillipou (but then again I would have been happy with any of the probable options that may have been available) but given what happened to GWS later in the draft, I hope that's the last time a club forgets that its a COMPETITION and you don't give the opposition a leg up by not bidding on the next best available player in the comp.

GWS not bidding on Ashcroft meant that Brisbane was then able to pick up Fletcher without the need to go into deficit next year.

Now for the real action!!

Very happy with Phillipou (but then again I would have been happy with any of the probable options that may have been available) but given what happened to GWS later in the draft, I hope that's the last time a club forgets that its a COMPETITION and you don't give the opposition a leg up by not bidding on the next best available player in the comp.

GWS not bidding on Ashcroft meant that Brisbane was then able to pick up Fletcher without the need to go into deficit next year.

Now for the real action!!

Yep Sydney come from a position of strength and played their bids on GWS players very well. Intriguing to watch.

Do not feel for the plastics at all with the amount of high draft picks they have had this year ie number 1 and historically it has been heaps.

Could feel pissed at the Hawks for grabbing McKenzie but we ended up with Mattaes. Sliding doors and as always drafts / trades take a while until they can be judged.

As good as Hewitt looks, IMO he is the flight risk. Has close family ties and you can just see how excited his family are with him playing local.
Sounded like he was very grateful and professional. They are not necessarily indicators that he is a flight risk. Could be the complete opposite.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back