News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

“It was amateur hour at St Kilda. When are clubs going to become accountable for how they run their business? This is a club that has a history littered with bad, bad decisions,” she said on Offsiders.

“When are clubs going to become accountable for how they run their business?” is the sort of shit footy commentators say when they’ve never had a real job in their lives.

What would “accountable” mean in this context? Kick us out of the comp? Take away our best players? Halve our salary cap?

Just a dumb empty statement of the sort that the footy media love.

“When are clubs going to become accountable for how they run their business?” is the sort of s**t footy commentators say when they’ve never had a real job in their lives.

What would “accountable” mean in this context? Kick us out of the comp? Take away our best players? Halve our salary cap?

Was what we did being accountable. Made a mistake and we went out and fixed it. This person shouldn’t have a roll in the media if they don’t have a clue

“When are clubs going to become accountable for how they run their business?” is the sort of s**t footy commentators say when they’ve never had a real job in their lives.

The media pile on is absurd. All following their single-minded buddies by making outrageous statements. It's a shame Rooey isn't around to have a crack back at them. I'd love David King to say all his bullsh*t to Rooey's face.

I wonder if she could tell us who the last coach who voluntarily retired was?

There are 18 coaches in the whole game. They all go into it with their eyes wide open and probably 99.9% of them will get sacked at some stage.
OK, we screwed up re-signing him early - but they did hold themselves accountable a d take the blame at the presser. What does she want, sackcloth and ashes?

There are 18 coaches in the whole game. They all go into it with their eyes wide open and probably 99.9% of them will get sacked at some stage.
OK, we screwed up re-signing him early - but they did hold themselves accountable a d take the blame at the presser. What does she want, sackcloth and ashes?
I don't watch, read or listen to any footy media outside what's posted here but did any of those peanuts criticize the club for the premature signing?

AFL 2022: Latest news on St Kilda’s coaching search​

A St Kilda champ is eager to help out his former side — and he thinks Ross Lyon would be the perfect man to take over the top job.

Sam LandsbergerSam Landsberger
Follow
@samlandsberger

3 min read
October 15, 2022 - 6:57PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
1 comments

01:10
President explains how Brett Ratten lost his job

AFL: Brett Ratten was given the chance to convince the board he was the man for the job, but ultimately fell short, as he was moved on as head coach of the Saints.

AFL News

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
St Kilda champion Brendon Goddard believes Ross Lyon would be “perfect” to take over the Saints and has also put his hand up for an assistant coaching job.
Goddard said Lyon, a four-time grand final coach, would have no problems returning to Moorabbin 11 years after he sensationally defected to Fremantle.
Not a single player on St Kilda’s list was coached by Lyon during his previous stint at the club, with Seb Ross drafted two months after Lyon left.
Bradley Hill played 54 games under Lyon but they were all as a Docker.
Brendon Goddard in action for the Saints in 2010.

Brendon Goddard in action for the Saints in 2010.
“I'm a massive advocate and fan of Ross,” Goddard, 37, told the Herald Sun.
“There’s no reason why he wouldn’t be perfect for it, really. The game hasn’t changed that much (since Lyon left the Dockers in 2019).
“He still watches it and he still loves footy and his methods and his plan around how to build a culture, that hasn't changed.
“It's still the same. It hasn’t changed for 100 years.”
Only Alastair Clarkson and Mick Malthouse have coached more grand finals (five each) than Lyon this century.

Goddard, a former Essendon captain and respected football figure, has been eager to get back into footy.
He said he would be keen to speak to the Saints regardless of whether Lyon was locked in as Brett Ratten’s replacement and would also consider options elsewhere.
“I'm pretty confident in my ability to see the game, know the game and be able to teach, essentially,” the 2009-10 All-Australian said.
“I felt like I was pretty good (at that) as a player. I’d be pretty confident in doing anything, but a line coach or something along those lines.”
It emerged on Saturday that there has been background discussions from some influential St Kilda people about a succession plan that would see Lenny Hayes eventually take charge.
Hayes spent five years as an assistant coach at Greater Western Sydney before taking a break after the 2020 season.
The St Kilda legend will return to Moorabbin next month when he starts as the club’s new midfield coach.
An astute industry judge said Hayes the coach was in the mould of Collingwood’s Craig McRae, who was recently named the AFL’s coach of the year in his first season.
Lenny Hayes has been compared to Craig McRae. Picture: Glenn Hunt

Lenny Hayes has been compared to Craig McRae. Picture: Glenn Hunt
“Everyone loves (Hayes) because he’s fair, he’s got great empathy, he’s honest and he’s a super person whose level headed,” they said.
“He had white-line fever and that's what he expects from his players – to give everything you’ve got.
“But then when he crosses back over the line he’s there for your all the time. If they are thinking about that (a succession plan) it’s probably not a bad choice.”
On Hayes, Goddard said “I love the man” but added he wasn’t privy to what he was like as a coach or whether he had ambitions to be a senior coach.
Goddard was unsure whether a succession plan would appeal to Lyon.
“I don't think Ross would want to do it for two or three years. If he’s going to do it he’s 100 per cent in,” Goddard said.
“I‘d say he’d make a five-year plan or something and go from there.”
The certain return of Hayes, possible return of Lyon and potentially Goddard would be a throwback to the club’s 2009-10 era of dominance that narrowly missed out on an elusive premiership.
Nick Dal Santo, another star from that time, is also at the Saints as their AFLW coach.
President Andrew Bassat and chief executive Simon Lethlean said they would move “quickly and decisively” to sign their next coach.

More Coverage​

Robbo: Surprised? Ratten axing another Saints ‘balls-up’Sacked Ratten stunned by brutal Saints callSavage inside story of how Saints ‘blindsided’ Ratts
They have identified the need for a “new style of leadership and new voice” to help the Saints break out of the middle part of the ladder.
Goddard last saw Lyon at St Kilda’s annual preliminary final weekend reunion although they only spoke socially outside of a “brief chat” about Essendon, which Lyon turned down.

Saintos The ITK

So two weeks ago Goddard openly stated his heart was with Essendon...but as soon as his buddy RL is mooted as a Saints coach he's suddenly on board with us?

No I in team BJ
? He has the opportunity to work under and alongside people he shares great respect for and memories with... he said his heart was with essendon because he doesn't have any personal relationships with anyone at the saints anymore. Your post reads like something out of dolly magazine (showing my age)

I told you to stop reading that dross mate

I searched it out as I remember him saying it on first crack.

Trust me George, I've read bugger all of the drivel that's been going around. I know where it comes from and what the motivation is behind it.

I'm just pointing out some of the hypocrisy of these grubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughead should already be gone
I think Roughie is just doing a "work experience" type gig. Fairly harmless I would have thought.
Not a bad fella to have hanging around the club. Probably has some good "war stories" from his
golden days with the Hawks to keep the young ones entertained.

I think Roughie is just doing a "work experience" type gig. Fairly harmless I would have thought.
Not a bad fella to have hanging around the club. Probably has some good "war stories" from his
We don’t need anyone at the club just cruising along anymore

Fox Footy commentator Kelli Underwood said St Kilda’s decision to sack Ratten was “absolutely brutal” and believed the club had “panicked” by re-signing him earlier this year.

“It was amateur hour at St Kilda. When are clubs going to become accountable for how they run their business? This is a club that has a history littered with bad, bad decisions,” she said on Offsiders.

“The handling has been completely botched.”

Isn't this the commentator who referred to GWS as "The Orange Team" while calling one of their games?

Such a facile view, Kelli. You really do your professional integrity a disservice by commenting without examining the situation closely.
Its emotive clickbaity headline stuff but overall the content is right, Bassat and Lethers said we made an error with the extension.

Weve now moved to rectify that mistake.

Mates at work this morning were loving it "clubs a basket case" blah blah blah.

Its all fair, everyone outside the walls of the club can have a chuckle, those of us who care are actually impressed we admitted the mistake and have moved to rectify it.

Its a brutal call, thats also true but its the one that made in the best interest of the club, over ego and appearance. Thats why its inspiring.

Every coach is a sacked coach in waiting. Nature of the game.

I tend to agree that Ratts getting the bullet now with the 6 month clause is a little rough but also shrug maybe we can offer him a slightly bigger payout?

Yeah, I heard him on the radio before a game this year. Said he's not been doing that much at the club over Covid and was only really interested in list management stuff. Sounded bored or indifferent.

I've heard we've already sold the TV doco rights for the "Ross Lyon returns to St Kilda and wins a flag" story to Netflix for $5m.
Clearing debt and righting the ship.

Is there anything the current board cant do (aside from not sign an extension 3 months early)

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back