News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been meaning to watch that, is it any good?
You’ll love it mate if you’re a Gunner.

My bro in law is a mad Arsenal fan so I’ve had to take an interest in them over the past decade.

As a City fan, took an interest in Arteta as he was Pep’s lieutenant for awhile.

He’s really impressive in this doco.

You see how much passion he has and how inspiring an orator he is in his second language.

He honestly puts a lot of the Aussie Rules coaches to shame from hearing them in the Amazon footy doco a couple of years back “Making their mark”.

You’ll love it mate if you’re a Gunner.

My bro in law is a mad Arsenal fan so I’ve had to take an interest in them over the past decade.

As a City fan, took an interest in Arteta as he was Pep’s lieutenant for awhile.

He’s really impressive in this doco.

You see how much passion he has and how inspiring an orator he is in his second language.

He honestly puts a lot of the Aussie Rules coaches to shame from hearing them in the Amazon footy doco a couple of years back “Making their mark”.

Oh yeah I've watched All or Nothing! I was talking about Sunderland Til I Die.

But yeah agreed, certainly helped to win me over to Arteta. Though winning 9 out of 10 to start the season also helps.

The other guy who came across well in the doco was Xhaka. Part of his ongoing redemption story.

I’ve had time to think about the media pile on and what it’s all about . It’s true as we know the Saints have been basically irrelevant since 09/10 and that’s the place most people want them to stay . “ know your place saints “ the media says
Because at the end of the day they all barrack for a side don’t they .
To those people ESP Barrett YCAGAGRRF •
•(RR- right royally)

St Kilda coaching latest: Saints meet with Ross Lyon​

Ross Lyon has met with St Kilda to discuss a return to his former club after Brett Ratten was sacked. Here’s what Lyon had to say when he emerged from Saints’ president Andrew Bassat’s home.

Scott GullanScott Gullan
Follow

@gullanHeraldSun

2 min read
October 17, 2022 - 8:25PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

18 comments

01:10
President explains how Brett Ratten lost his job

AFL: Brett Ratten was given the chance to convince the board he was the man for the job, but ultimately fell short, as he was moved on as head coach of the Saints.

AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Ross Lyon is a step closer to returning to coach St Kilda after a four-hour meeting with the club’s hierarchy on Monday.
Just four days after sacking Brett Ratten, the Saints interviewed the man who led them to their last grand final appearance as they searched for a coach with a “ruthless edge”.
Lyon emerged from St Kilda president Andrew Bassat’s Bayside home and confirmed his interest in the job.
“I just had a meeting, it’s a big step isn’t it?” he told Channel 7.
“We just had initial discussions.
“Otherwise I wouldn’t come and meet (if I wasn’t interested), it is a delicate time for everybody.
“It’s not easy coaching an AFL club.”
St Kilda’s chief executive Simon Lethlean also attended the meeting where Lyon outlined his plans for a possible return to the club he walked out on in 2011.
Ross Lyon has met with his former club over its vacant coaching position. Picture: Getty Images

Ross Lyon has met with his former club over its vacant coaching position. Picture: Getty Images
Bassat has effectively taken charge of the club after being heavily involved in the wide-ranging review which led to the sacking of Ratten just three months after he’d been given a two-year contract extension.

Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand with Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
It was obvious at Friday’s press conference to announce Ratten’s dismissal that the Saints already had someone in mind for the senior job.
“What I would say is between Andrew and myself and the board, we’ve uncovered what we need and our members need to know we’ll be swift and decisive and go and find the coach we need,” Lethlean said.
A number of former Saints who played under Lyon, including Brendon Goddard, have come out in support of his return to Moorabbin.
“I’m a massive advocate and fan of Ross,” Goddard said.
“There’s no reason why he wouldn’t be perfect for it, really. The game hasn’t changed that much.
“He still watches it and he still loves footy and his methods and his plan around how to build a culture that hasn’t changed.”
Former Saints’ gun Brendon Goddard has backed Ross Lyon’s return.

Former Saints’ gun Brendon Goddard has backed Ross Lyon’s return.
Goddard, a key piece in St Kilda’s near-successes under Lyon in 2009 and 2010, has revealed he would be open to returning to Linton Street.
Club legend Lenny Hayes recently agreed to return as an assistant coach alongside Ratten.
Lyon blindsided the Saints when he walked out on them – he didn’t even tell his own manager – at the end of 2011, taking up a massive offer to coach Fremantle.

More Coverage​

The late-night meetings that paved way for Lyon’s returnMcRae 2.0? Huge wraps on Saints coaching contenderSavage inside story of how Saints ‘blindsided’ RattsRobbo: Most damning aspect of Ratten ‘balls up’ 
He took the Dockers to the Grand Final in 2013 where they lost to Hawthorn before being sacked in 2019.
Lyon has since forged an impressive media career appearing on Nine’s Footy Classified and in the special comments chair for Triple M.

AFL 2022: Ross Lyon lifts lid on why he joined Fremantle in a bombshell 2011 move​

Eleven years after Ross Lyon was labelled ‘deceitful, duplicitous and distasteful’ for jumping ship for millions, St Kilda’s arms are open again. Here’s how it happened.

Jon RalphJon Ralph
Follow

@RalphyHeraldSun

5 min read
October 17, 2022 - 2:54PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

66 comments

01:10
President explains how Brett Ratten lost his job

AFL: Brett Ratten was given the chance to convince the board he was the man for the job, but ultimately fell short, as he was moved on as head coach of the Saints.

AFL News

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Ross Lyon joked when he first returned to coach against St Kilda he was so maligned by the fan base he might need a “spray jacket” to protect himself.
Eleven years since Lyon was labelled “deceitful, duplicitous and distasteful” for jumping ship for Fremantle’s millions, he has roared into strong favouritism to return as coach.
It certainly isn’t unprecedented — Bobby Rose had twin stints at Collingwood and Tony Jewell won a flag at Richmond, was sacked 12 months later and still returned for 44-game stint in 1986-7.
What Lyon would be hoping to emulate would be David Parkin’s second stint at Carlton — a 235-game, flag-winning tenure that saw him elevated into the club’s Hall of Fame.
But the manner of his initial exit could have some St Kilda fans wondering whether he would be accepted with open arms more than a decade on.

Who will be St Kilda's next senior coach?​

Ross Lyon
Adem Yze
Robert Harvey
Lenny Hayes
Luke Beveridge
Mark Williams
Mark McVeigh
Ash Hansen
Other
Cast your vote

The Herald Sun understands St Kilda president Andrew Bassat has shared bottles of red wine until late into the night with Lyon on at least one occasion in recent months as they mulled the club’s serial mediocrity.
While Lyon is awaiting the club’s official overtures, it would be a shock if they did not have a firm view of the kind of program he would put in place as they seek a harder, tougher edge.
The fullest explanation of Lyon’s extraordinary move to Fremantle emerged in a radio interview in August when Lyon finally laid bare his own version of events for the decision to take up a $3.2 million, four-year deal at the Dockers.
Lyon painted a volcanic picture of a St Kilda board reluctant to recontract him during his messy 2011 exit from the Saints.

He also detailed how his management group was unwilling to reveal Melbourne’s interest in explaining his shock decision to depart the Saints for the Dockers.
Eleven years later Lyon is expected to be officially contacted by the Saints this year to gauge his interest in a return to the club, with the 55-year-old a hot favourite to take over from Brett Ratten.
Ross Lyon has laid bare his own version of events for his decision to take up a $3.2 million, four-year deal at the Dockers back in 2011.

Ross Lyon has laid bare his own version of events for his decision to take up a $3.2 million, four-year deal at the Dockers back in 2011.
In the revealing interview on Triple M radio he said he felt he had been deceived by multiple parties in the lead-up to his move, with his wife Kirsten emerging from a meeting with management group Elite Sports Properties saying of the discussions: “This is bulls***”.
While St Kilda eventually offered him a three-year extension on the day he resigned, he said he rebuffed Fremantle multiple times until he had no other option but to accept their deal.
“I had committed in my head to St Kilda without an offer and there was a lot of noise that Melbourne were interested in me,” Lyon reflected.
“I had a year to go (on my contract), we couldn’t come to terms and it had been going all year.”
After successive grand final seasons St Kilda had started the season with only one win and a draw to round 8 as talks for an extension past 2012 were put on hold, then stagnated, with Lyon moving from manager Ricky Nixon to Craig Kelly.
“SOS (Stephen Silvagni) was great mates was manager Craig Kelly so he organised a meeting and we went across. Craig took over and he said can you bring in your current contract?” Lyon said.
Ross Lyon speaks to the media after being sacking from the Dockers in 2019.

Ross Lyon speaks to the media after being sacking from the Dockers in 2019.
“So I went in and they went through it and they said, “You know you have got a clause in here where you can exit? You can just give notice, three months?
“I said, ‘I know but I won’t use it’. Next minute it was in the paper. Don’t know how it got there. And that’s how Fremantle (got wind).
“(Fremantle CEO) Steve Rosich said I want to come to your house. I said I am not going anywhere. I was coaching St Kilda.
“But he came to my house and went through it. I dropped him back at the Rialto (Hotel) and said, ‘Thanks but no thanks’.
“Then we went and lost the first final. We lost and still hadn’t come to terms and Rosich rang again. He said, ‘I am coming to town’, and I said, ‘Don’t worry about it, I am fine, I am not interested’.
“Negotiations with St Kilda were breaking down, they were going nowhere. And Melbourne was in the background and it was coming through Paul Roos and Garry Lyon.

SAINTS COACHING CONTENDERS ASSESSED 🔴⚪⚫

Ross Lyon
Could Ross the Boss make a stunning comeback to the Saints? Lyon guided the Saints to grand finals in 2009and 2010 before a controversial move to Fremantle.
It’s believed the Saints have emarked him for a potential return.

Luke Beveridge
The Western Bulldogs coach has one year to run on his contract at the Whitten Oval and would be an attractive option for the Saints.
St Kilda reportedly targeted Beveridge before he re-signed at the Dogs in 2019.
He has strong ties to the Saints.
Beveridge had accepted a role at the Saints as head of football before his shock appointment at the Bulldogs for the 2015 season
Does he jump ship early to rebuild St Kilda, the club he played 45 games for in the 1990s?
Beveridge’s father John was a long-time recruiting boss at the Saints.

Robert Harvey
The Saints legend wants to be a senior coach, having put himself forward for several vacant positions over the past couple of years. The dual Brownlow Medallist narrowly missed out to Ratten when he was appointed as the senior coach of St Kilda in 2019.

Adam Yze
The Melbourne assistant has come close to several senior coaching gigs, most recently with Essendon. Could St Kilda be the one that finally gives Yze a chance?

Lenny Hayes
The club great has only just returned to Moorabbin as an assistant coach. Spent five years at GWS. Could be one to watch.

James Hird
The Essendon legend put his hand up to be the senior coach of the Bombers. But is it just his former club he wants to be the senior coach of.

Mark McVeigh
Filled in as caretaker senior coach for the Giants this year, winning four out of his 13 games. Missed out on the top job at GWS to Adam Kingsley so is available.

Ash Hansen
Long considered a senior coach in the making, Hansen got a taste of what it is like when he took the reins of Carlton for a game this year when Michael Voss had Covid. Coached the Bulldogs to the 2016 VFL flag.

Jaymie Graham
Another one considered to be a senior coach in the making. Now at Fremantle Graham has also had stints at West Coast and the Saints, back in 2012. Dockers coach Justin Longmuir says he is ready to lead his own team.

Leon Cameron
Took Greater Western Sydney to a Grand Final and three preliminary finals during his time in the Harbour City, which ended midseason. Has plenty of experience.

Don Pyke
Took the Crows to a Grand Final five years ago and has played a big role in Sydney’s assault on another premiership. Was forced to apologise over Adelaide’s disastrous preseason camp. Hard to know if that would be an impediment here.

Nathan Buckley
The former Magpie coach has said he won’t be coaching at AFL level in 2023. Doubtful he will change his mind.

Mark Williams
Remains one of football’s most outstanding people, but hasn’t coached at the level since 2010, even if he has worked at successful clubs in the years since.

David Noble
The former North Melbourne coach assisted the Saints in the review that has led to Ratten’s sacking. It would be a huge move by the Saints given Noble’s struggles at the Roos, but it has happened before.

“I had a meeting with Craig Kelly. I asked Craig and he said, “(Melbourne) have got no interest.
“He said, ‘No one has got any interest’, and we knew it wasn’t quite the truth, me and my wife.
“(Craig) said, ‘Don’t worry about it, do the 12 months and we will get you to GWS or somewhere else’. I went, ‘Yep, no problem’, and walked out. And my wife went, ‘This is bullshit’. I said, ‘Relax, it’s all good, that is what I am going to do’.
“So there was all this noise about Melbourne and I drove down to see (St Kilda CEO) Michael (Nettlefold) and this is the bit not many know and hopefully Michael remembers this.
“I said, ‘I am not going to accept what you have put there, I am going to do my 12 months’.
“And he said, ‘Ross, I don’t think we can do that’. I said, ‘What do you mean?’.
“And he said, ‘No’.
Then St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold with Lyon at a 2010 press conference.

Then St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold with Lyon at a 2010 press conference.
Lyon’s plan to honour his contract then consider his options was suddenly on shaky ground with the pair deciding to sleep on the contract conundrum and reassess.
“And so then that night there were articles in the Herald Sun and Age saying ‘Ross is being greedy, Ross has been offered $800,000,’ Lyon recalled.
“I flipped out. And I rang Craig Kelly in the morning and said, ‘They can’t be trusted, I have had enough, I am out. I would rather dig ditches …’
“So I went to my lawyer and said, ‘I am done here’, and that’s when an offer came in (from St Kilda).
“I said, ‘I have had a gutful, I have been turned on, so in my head I am done’.
“Steve (Rosich) took my call and said we will come back to you with an offer at 6am tomorrow.
“It was fully guaranteed. And then the St Kilda offer came in but mentally I was out because of what had occurred. That is what occurred.
“And I rang Michael Nettlefold and said, ‘I am coming down to see you’.
“They had a board meeting (to approve Lyon’s three-year contract extension). He said, ‘What’s it about?’.

More Coverage​

Robbo: Most damning aspect of Ratten ‘balls up’ McRae 2.0? Huge wraps on Saints coaching contender
“I said, ‘It’s not good’. So I walked down, I had a letter, I said I am exercising my option. He said, ‘Can we talk about this’. I said, “I am done”. And I walked out and that was it. That is the full story.”
Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand w

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder who is making these decisions. I would think that Lyon has let it been known his thoughts.
The list management team make decisions like that.

A pity i thought Lienart did ok.

Lienart never made sense from the start. Silly short sighted signing, not hard to see why we’re looking for a new list manager.
He filled the last list spot for 2022. First in, first out. Came in because of Coffield's ACL in February and so with Coffield back, there's seems to be no room for him. Deserved another year at least IMO.

Lienart never made sense from the start. Silly short sighted signing, not hard to see why we’re looking for a new list manager.

If we'd been seriously competing then he would have made sense as an experienced body to bring in. He was never a great signing but only looks particularly bad in hindsight.

If we'd been seriously competing then he would have made sense as an experienced body to bring in. He was never a great signing but only looks particularly bad in hindsight.

Does it look bad if you consider he was signed on a one year rookie deal AFTER Coffield did his ACL.
What are the ramifications after such a particularly bad deal.

Dwayne putting his support behind the decision

“Something needed to change”: Why Russell backs St Kilda’s Lyon pursuit

“SOMETHING NEEDED TO CHANGE”: WHY RUSSELL BACKS ST KILDA’S LYON PURSUIT​

BY LACHLAN GELEIT 3 HOURS AGO
TR050511MW_910.jpg

St Kilda officials met with Ross Lyon on Monday as they go in search of a new coach following Brett Ratten’s sacking last week.
With a return home of sorts looking increasingly likely for Lyon, SEN’s Dwayne Russell thinks it’s the right move for St Kilda.

Having finished no higher than sixth since Lyon originally departed Moorabbin in 2011, Russell believes the 55-year-old has what it takes to turn the club around by attracting recruits to help the Saints compete in finals again.
“When it comes to Ross Lyon returning as coach of St Kilda, I’m happy to go on the record and say I think it’s a good idea,” Russell said on SEN.
“I think it will work, I was one who believed something needed to change at St Kilda.
“10th and 10th in the last two seasons was below average, it was mediocre and they, in my assessment, weren’t going to finish higher next year – it was 10th again or worse next year.
“I think with Ross Lyon and this list they can finish better than 10th within two seasons and I think they’ll be more of a chance to be able to attract recruits like Jordan De Goey and play finals again under Ross, that’s just my opinion.”

0 seconds of 3 minutes, 23 secondsVolume 0%

x close

While Russell believes Ratten is a good coach in his own right, he feels the decision to move him on was the right call as the 51-year-old didn’t appear likely to be the club’s next premiership coach.
Brett Ratten was a good coach and a fantastic guy, but as I said, I don’t think he was bound to be St Kilda’s next premiership coach and I don’t think he was going to be St Kilda’s finals coach next year,” Russell said.
“I agree that the decision to extend Brett Ratten’s contract was a major mistake by the Saints’ board, Simon Lethlean and those who decided to do it.
“I didn’t think it was a good idea at the time, I said at the time they could have waited.
“You can argue whether Simon Lethlean is the right person for the CEO job or Andrew Bassat the right President.
“But I’m happy to go on the record to say that if Ross Lyon gets the coaching job, it’s a chance for St Kilda to move forward than hover in the 10th, 11th, 12th twilight zone for the next couple of years.”
Lyon previously coached St Kilda between 2007 to 2011 where the Saints made three Grand Finals (including one replay) and won 76 of 121 games under his direction.

He filled the last list spot for 2022. First in, first out. Came in because of Coffield's ACL in February and so with Coffield back, there's seems to be no room for him. Deserved another year at least IMO.
Coffield was in and out of the side in 2021 and has only been a regular for one season, he didn’t need a replacement. It was just another in a long list of low risk low reward players. Hopefully our next list manager actually values list spots.

Coffield was in and out of the side in 2021 and has only been a regular for one season, he didn’t need a replacement. It was just another in a long list of low risk low reward players. Hopefully our next list manager actually values list spots.
What? He would've played regular senior football if he didn't do his ACL this year. Lienert was the replacement, now that Coff is healthy, Lienert doesn't have a spot. I think it's pretty straight forward, although my personal opinion is that Lienert should've been given another year, decent enough depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back