List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

There's zero reason it can't work like that.

I don't care what other clubs do or what has been done in the past.

There is absolutely no reason we needed to extend him when we did. None. That's the simple fact of the matter.

It had every chance of making us look foolish and funny enough it did.

Doubt we really believe we are a finals side though. Nothing about the way we are operating in the off season says finals.
Probably 10 -12th is where we are at

Hawthorn are making massive changes realising past trading mistakes Mitchell and Omeara and should have 5 top 30 picks this year plus Amon.

1 step back 3 steps forward.

Let’s say we take that port deal.

We have a weaker list in 2023.

Walsh stated our aim was finals. 7-8th on the ladder is believe is what they are targeting.

There is every chance a high end kid comes in and plays his role and contributes. Having nothing makes that harder.
A weaker or stronger list for a year will come down to injuries. It always does IMO. Not gaining or losing a couple of players.

I don’t think the club knows what the plan is at the minute
The plan failed on the back of a no show year from the u24 set, plus the key injurie of Dmac and Steele right at the wrong time. Also a total no show year from Ratts and Rath.

The new plan is clearly to pick up the pieces and see if there's enough to still build a small house before the bulldozers are called in. The failed bid for JDG makes it slightly harder bit doesn't scupper the plan and tbh we weren't ready for the bell tower anyway.

A weaker or stronger list for a year will come down to injuries. It always does IMO. Not gaining or losing a couple of players.
Throughout the year.

Effectively we are the 10th best side and port have significantly improved.

Gold Coast will aswell as they regain King.

We get worse.

That’s facts.

So why public say it if we don’t believe it.
Probably to placate supporters. Need to generate some kind of hope and optimism for the average supporter over the off-season, get them on board again for 2023. Then if shit hits the fan bring out the honesty...rinse and repeat :)

Tell you what hurts my brain cells. Looking back at our drafting in the last few years and how we got to where we are right now.

How we get things so wrong, is evidence right here.

lkUcvzYw.jpg
Ah, the disaster that was 2018. King, Wilkie brought in and Marshall promoted from the rookie list.
Thank god we don't do stuff like that every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What North have done with this years pick 1 in isolation is perfectly fine. But you’re glossing over last years #1 pick being wrapped up in that deal.

When you break it down they traded one 1 pick for 2 & (say) 8. They traded the other #1 pick for #3.

I reckon you’d be pretty vocal if the Saints did that.

Horne Francis was out the door and wanted one club. Port had no picks so they were going to be royally ****ed in that deal. I probably would have felt like the sky is falling but the picks they have give them an opportunity to do a good reload with high picks coming in together with less pressure. There won't be the circus and it gives everyone breathing space and opportunity.

If we do well in the draft then it will have been a fine trade period. We got something decent for Long. We haven't lost anyone of note (assuming Clark stays).

We have three picks that will probably match what we picked last year after the bids, if not better. We need a great draft, that would really set us up to attack future trade periods. If we can nail our picks in the draft then we will have a really nice crop of youth coming through.
100%
I hope this is the year we nail the draft
Last year's was excellent but we were always going to pick the academy kids.
Nas looks the goods but if he goes home would be a loss.
If we trade clark and nas does go home
we have just 3 of our top 10 draftees on our list for 10 years of drafting.

Doubt we really believe we are a finals side though. Nothing about the way we are operating in the off season says finals.
We are hard to get a read on for next year IMO.

We've shown we can play at a top four level and we've also shown we can play at a bottom four level.

With nothing happening over this period I feel a bit in limbo about us, not sure where to place us exactly. We could have a great year given the group has it in them if they are at their best, or the last half of the year is a preview into how next year goes.

Personally I think internally we are preparing for a couple of years down the bottom, not dead last but probably hovering around 13th-16th while we stockpile kids through the draft and then hope to make a push in 2-3 years. They'll never say that publicly though.

Horne Francis was out the door and wanted one club. Port had no picks so they were going to be royally cactus in that deal. I probably would have felt like the sky is falling but the picks they have give them an opportunity to do a good reload with high picks coming in together with less pressure. There won't be the circus and it gives everyone breathing space and opportunity.
Agree.

Imagine if they took the three first rounders on offer from Adelaide last year and then sold this years for 2 & 3! Brave...but wow they would be stocked with young talent.

Ah, the disaster that was 2018. King, Wilkie brought in and Marshall promoted from the rookie list.

Yes, it was great watching us replace an American basketball prodigy for an Australian basketball prodigy.

Yes, it was great watching us replace an American basketball prodigy for an Australian basketball prodigy.

Yes, having an international project player who was paid outside the cap that the AFL highly encouraged clubs to put on their list during that period was a huge issue.

We are hard to get a read on for next year IMO.

We've shown we can play at a top four level and we've also shown we can play at a bottom four level.

With nothing happening over this period I feel a bit in limbo about us, not sure where to place us exactly. We could have a great year given the group has it in them if they are at their best, or the last half of the year is a preview into how next year goes.

Personally I think internally we are preparing for a couple of years down the bottom, not dead last but probably hovering around 13th-16th while we stockpile kids through the draft and then hope to make a push in 2-3 years. They'll never say that publicly though.
I think if we were bottoming out then it would make sense to trade Clark and get another early pick in the draft. I don't know whether we're just playing hard to get with him or not, but if we are keeping him then it says to me that the club thinks they're ready to push up the ladder.

I hope one of the strategies to come from the review will be to identify and target 🎯 Saints supporting young players and families.
Get in their ears, really work on them, make them feel important and wanted by the club.
We obviously won’t get to draft them all but I bet we’d get a lot more trade requests coming our way.

I think if we were bottoming out then it would make sense to trade Clark and get another early pick in the draft. I don't know whether we're just playing hard to get with him or not, but if we are keeping him then it says to me that the club thinks they're ready to push up the ladder.
Keeping Hill and bringing in a ready to go defender also suggests we don't plan on falling down the ladder.

Yes, having an international project player who was paid outside the cap that the AFL highly encouraged clubs to put on their list during that period was a huge issue.

We are all seeing now that the salary cap and having a war chest is the last of our problems.

Players will go where they want to play, nothing to do with the cap.

Money is of little value, once you are rich... you are rich. A couple of hundred thousand dollars is of little value when you compare it to playing in a decent team and under a good coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back