2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it all figured out :p

Suns list concessions - 38 senior, 9 cat A, 2 cat B

Sharp stays -> 35 players on senior list.

Bring in just one draftee, pick 5 – Mackenzie (I am no expert but got elite skills?)
2 upgrades to senior list – Moyle and Ace (has to?) -> Senior list 38 - full

Markov retires (rumour on FB).

Tsitas let go or just VFL.

Constable and Faulkhead extended.

That’s 5 players on rookie cat A list – Casboult, Constable, Faulkhead, Uwland, Brock.

Pre-list Johnston from NT, bring in Blakey and Jen Anderson as rookies –> 8 players as cat A, one spot left.

Possibly bring in one more academy kid or leave one spot open for PSD, MSD.

No cat B (2 avail).

Bloody good list :) Still a bit young and inexperienced

Best 22 (injured players in depth)
Lemmens Collins Long
Farrar Ballard Andrew
Ellis Anderson Hollands
Ainsworth Chol Luko
Rosas King Jeffrey
Witts, Rowell, Miller
Swallow Holman Davies Flanders

Depth - Budarick Weller Powell Sharp Casboult Fiorini Berry Burgess Thompson Day Atkins Macpherson Constable Graham Sexton Ace Moyle Brock Blakey? Anderson?

Rest - pick 5, Faulkhead, Uwland, Johnston

Last edited:
Collins looked lost in the last 8 weeks down back he desperately needed another big body to help him out.

Ballard is a 3rd string intercepting defender definitely not KPD

Graham has showed glimpses but is a long way off the pace

Thompson will be playing VFL all of next season.

Brock similar story, may get a call up at some stage and deserves it based off what I saw this season from him.

Andrew will only be in his second year and will be a great player but needs time to develop, also needs to beef up a bit to become a bit more of a physical presence.

That's why I believe why should take the best KPD available at Pick 5. The last thing we need is another young developing midfielder we already have Touk, Rowell, Anderson, Davies etc. If we bring in another midfielder it should be one that is an A grader and already developed in the system in the age 24-25 bracket. Hence why Dunkley would've been good for us, our midfield would've been set for years to come. We are just one A grade mid away from being elite.

in any draft 99% of KPDs will need a lot of physical development anyways (See Sam De Koning). Also the only key defender remotely near our pick is busslinger who is pretty undersized and has been touted as more of a 3rd tall anyways. No point on using pick 5 on a massive reach either, we really should probably draft a wingman with our pick

Picture this, this year is 2023...
  • On the eve of the season beginning it's announced that best friends Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell have both re-signed with us.
  • We start the year well and pull off some surprising upsets in the first half of the season led but our inspirational skipper Touk Miller and Noah Anderson. Ben King has also fit back into the team seamlessly and our forward line looks like it could challenge any team.
  • It's now mid-season and the media begins to speculate about players we could be eyeing off. Touk is also in the discussion as one of the hot favourites for the Brownlow.
  • Jed Walter is absolutely killing it at the national championships and is a lock for a top 5 selection in the draft. Jake Rogers and Ethan Read are also playing well and being talked about as potential first round picks.
  • We're now three quarters of the way through the season and we're inside the top 8 but our place in the finals isn't assured yet.
  • It's going to take a few more solid wins but Touk says he's confident we can do it. As luck would have it, we find ourselves in a situation where a win over Brisbane in the QClash will secure us a finals position...
  • We secure a finals position with the required amount of wins being achieved and now we're going into our round 23 clash with an eye on a home finals.
  • Mission accomplished. We're secure the win and the percentage boost needed to finish 6th and the city is a buzz about what our team is capable of achieving this year after a few wins over several top 4 opponents. We've also well and truly broken our all time club membership record and are nearing 30k members.
  • The lead up to our first ever final is massive. The tickets sell out within hours of their release. Richmond is coming to town.
  • The media begins to hype up the Tigers chances of winning another premiership after securing the likes of Taranto and Hopper over the off season but come game day we're all over them. We hand Richmond and almighty 40 point spanking in front of a raucous home crowd.
  • Onto the next week and we face the daunting task of our first ever away final at the MCG and our opponents happen to be the biggest club in the land - Collingwood. We know it's going to be a hard slog in a wet Saturday night in Melbourne but we also know Brisbane are waiting for us the following week and discussions have already begun about the potential first ever QClash preliminary final at the Gabba.
  • It's a back and forth game with the Pies and we're into the last 5 minutes with less than a kick the margin between the two...
  • I'll stop here and let you decide how the rest of the finals series plays out.
  • Now we're into the off season. We've been linked to a huge name through free agency/trade and we're eyeing off trading our first round pick to secure him.
  • Jed Walter is a slam drunk top 3 prospect and both Jakes Rogers/Ethan Read are also top 30 talents. Lucky we secure all those points last year so we can bring in all of these four talented players in the off season.
  • We're now being talked about as a genuine top 4 team going into the 2024 season...
This is how I believe the club envisions the next 12 months to play out. Is it realistic? Perhaps. Time will tell but I can tell you this much, it's going to be one hell of a ride and I'm excited!
i would like to subscribe to your fanfic

Now is about when Cameron needs to slide over to the Dog's table with pick 5. For Dunks obviously haha.

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

Matt Lloyd said his brother who was freo list manager? In 2017;

Pick 2 - brayshaw wanted to go freo because of family ties in WA.

Pick 5 - LDU/Cerra both said no we don’t want to go to freo.

Freo drafted Cerra anyways and left 4 years later.

Of course trading Pick 2 for Weller hurts but at least we’ve kept Weller, seems

Brayshaw, Dow, LDU, Cerra, Stephenson all would of left us anyways when we were at our lowest.

Matt Lloyd said his brother who was freo list manager? In 2017;

Pick 2 - brayshaw wanted to go freo because of family ties in WA.

Pick 5 - LDU/Cerra both said no we don’t want to go to freo.

Freo drafted Cerra anyways and left 4 years later.

Of course trading Pick 2 for Weller hurts but at least we’ve kept Weller, seems

Brayshaw, Dow, LDU, Cerra, Stephenson all would of left us anyways when we were at our lowest.
We will never know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn the lions to hell
Yeah, they got Dunkley very cheap I reckon.

It really just depends where a team finishes. Brisbane only have that to offer, so Dogs have to take it. If Dunkley wanted the Suns they would get Pick 5+something.

How can brisbane trade a future 1 and future 2? Thought if you traded a future 1 you couldn’t trade any other futures?

They can if they traded in other future picks elsewhere.

In the end it seems O'Meara prevented Sharp from joining Fremantle and Mitchell prevented Fiorini from joining Collingwood. So we keep some of our midfield depth and Fiorini/Sharp need to decide whether they put their head down and try to crack into our best 22 next year or are they just going to sook it up in the VFL for a full season and risk their career ending altogether because no one is interested? It won't be easy for them but Collingwood and Fremantle have sent them a pretty clear message that their interest in them wasn't a high priority.

In the end it seems O'Meara prevented Sharp from joining Fremantle and Mitchell prevented Fiorini from joining Collingwood. So we keep some of our midfield depth and Fiorini/Sharp need to decide whether they put their head down and try to crack into our best 22 next year or are they just going to sook it up in the VFL for a full season and risk their career ending altogether because no one is interested? It won't be easy for them but Collingwood and Fremantle have sent them a pretty clear message that their interest in them wasn't a high priority.
Fiorini is the last player to sook it up. He's a great clubman.

I got it all figured out :p

Suns list concessions - 38 senior, 9 cat A, 2 cat B

Sharp stays -> 35 players on senior list.

Bring in just one draftee, pick 5 – Mackenzie (I am no expert but got elite skills?)
2 upgrades to senior list – Moyle and Ace (has to?) -> Senior list 38 - full

Markov retires (rumour on FB).

Tsitas let go or just VFL.

Constable and Faulkhead extended.

That’s 5 players on rookie cat A list – Casboult, Constable, Faulkhead, Uwland, Brock.

Pre-list Johnston from NT, bring in Blakey and Jen Anderson as rookies –> 8 players as cat A, one spot left.

Possibly bring in one more academy kid or leave one spot open for PSD, MSD.

No cat B (2 avail).

Bloody good list :) Still a bit young and inexperienced

Best 22 (injured players in depth)
Lemmens Collins Long
Farrar Ballard Andrew
Ellis Anderson Hollands
Ainsworth Chol Luko
Rosas King Jeffrey
Witts, Rowell, Miller
Swallow Holman Davies Flanders

Depth - Budarick Weller Powell Sharp Casboult Fiorini Berry Burgess Thompson Day Atkins Macpherson Constable Graham Sexton Ace Moyle Brock Blakey? Anderson?

Rest - pick 5, Faulkhead, Uwland, Johnston
Ace has another year on the rookie list available so I think he will resign for a year and remain a Cat B rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back